Why do admirals go into battle on flagships?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Why do admirals go into battle on flagships?

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Given Star Wars communication technology, why can't they be stationed on a planet somewhere safe from danger?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why do admirals go into battle on flagships?

Post by Stark »

Call me crazy but increasing the latency on decision-making is probably seen as a bad thing. Decisions made onsite are likely to reflect the reality of the situation more.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Because communications jamming in SW is a pretty trivial thing...?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

that would be boring, star wars was made to be fool of heroics and exsplotions!
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

On the spot decision making is worth risking their necks? Not like flagships are little shuttles, anyway, but rather are the largest ships in a fleet and probably among the safest places to be.
XXXI
g_core18
Redshirt

Post by g_core18 »

But they're also the biggest target.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Personal control and leading by example should not be discounted. Also, given the personality types and the way politics works in the Empire, it seems a great bit of autocratus is recieved via first hand victories.

It should also be noted that given the maze of competing loyalties and rivalries within the Empire it might not be wise to give prominent and public victories to subordinates at the scene while you excercise nominal control from afar. It might let someone steal your laurels.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

g_core18 wrote:But they're also the biggest target.
If that were the only factor, you'd expect American Admirals break their flag on Boston Whalers rather than carriers. Fortunately, Admirals are smarter than you are.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:
g_core18 wrote:But they're also the biggest target.
If that were the only factor, you'd expect American Admirals break their flag on Boston Whalers rather than carriers. Fortunately, Admirals are smarter than you are.
Actually this was shown in Conquest as the reason why Admiral Kanos used a Executor class as his flagship rather than the Eclipse class. However the Executor class is also very heavily shielded and defended as well.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Not only that, but a fanfic wherein an Admiral used a COMMAND SHIP to command from, instead of a battleship which has no special command and control capabilities.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

You gotta love the OP for being so freaking dumb that he doesn't quite grasp what a flagship is. I'm sure he thinks in the military of both the modern era and of yore have these ships they classify as "Flagship.".
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I think many got the concept wrong due to growing up with ST:NG where for some unkown reason the Enterprise was designated the flagship of the whole Federation without ever hosting any major officers of state let alone serving as the HQ of an actual flag officer.

In the end as you alluded to a flagship is whatever ship a flag officer decides to hoist his flag, or whatever analoge in the scifi future. It can be used in other situations but in reality its not all that often.
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Ghost Rider wrote:You gotta love the OP for being so freaking dumb that he doesn't quite grasp what a flagship is. I'm sure he thinks in the military of both the modern era and of yore have these ships they classify as "Flagship.".
1. What the fuck is your problem?
2. When did I say that?
3. Actually, admirals in Star Wars often did choose flagships. Ever heard of Ackbar's Home One?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Star Wars 888 wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:You gotta love the OP for being so freaking dumb that he doesn't quite grasp what a flagship is. I'm sure he thinks in the military of both the modern era and of yore have these ships they classify as "Flagship.".
1. What the fuck is your problem?
You're so fucking inept you cannot use a dictionary to understand what a flagship is.
2. When did I say that?
Read the title that you posted.
3. Actually, admirals in Star Wars often did choose flagships. Ever heard of Ackbar's Home One?
Ok, you dipshit moron. I know ,like the rest of the times people responded to your inane braying, you won't hear me. But you do know what a flagship is? Here's a small hint; there is no classification of vessel called flagship. Now go out onto google and look it up. You may actually learn something.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Patroklos wrote:I think many got the concept wrong due to growing up with ST:NG where for some unkown reason the Enterprise was designated the flagship of the whole Federation without ever hosting any major officers of state let alone serving as the HQ of an actual flag officer.
My guess is that they used the term in the non-military sense of it, basically flagship = most prestigious.

There's nothing wrong with that, after all, Starfleet's not a military.

;)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stofsk wrote:
Patroklos wrote:I think many got the concept wrong due to growing up with ST:NG where for some unkown reason the Enterprise was designated the flagship of the whole Federation without ever hosting any major officers of state let alone serving as the HQ of an actual flag officer.
My guess is that they used the term in the non-military sense of it, basically flagship = most prestigious.

There's nothing wrong with that, after all, Starfleet's not a military.

;)
This would be the best thought in the matter of the writers. And of course Starfleet isn't military! I mean look at their outfits and no trigger guards :P .

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Ghost Rider wrote:
You're so fucking inept you cannot use a dictionary to understand what a flagship is.
BS. I know what what a flagship is.

But really? Do you talk like this to people in real life? Insult to an extreme degree everybody that makes every little mistake?

Nowhere in the title did I state or imply that flagships are a specific ship class.

Ok, you dipshit moron. I know ,like the rest of the times people responded to your inane braying, you won't hear me. But you do know what a flagship is? Here's a small hint; there is no classification of vessel called flagship. Now go out onto google and look it up. You may actually learn something.

I understand that there is not a ship class called flagship. Ackbar had multiple "flagships". Caedus used the Anakin Solo as his flagship. Pelleaon used the Bloodfin as his flagship. Niathal in a conversation with an officer discusses how admirals often transfer flagships.

But seriously; what the fuck is your problem? Is this how you treat your friends and such? Jump on them for making a mistake for some petty reason? Like, how did that hurt anyone? It wasn't even a mistake!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I understand that there is not a ship class called flagship. Ackbar had multiple "flagships". Caedus used the Anakin Solo as his flagship. Pelleaon used the Bloodfin as his flagship. Niathal in a conversation with an officer discusses how admirals often transfer flagships.
Hey, guess what, retard:
You said:
. Guess what, that's a tautology. A ship chosen by an admiracl as his ship is by definition his flagship :roll: If there is no admiral on it, a ship can not be a flagship no matter how bit etc. it is.
That's why we accuse you of thinking that you think that flaships are a specific ship class, since your statement makes no sense otherwise.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Star Wars 888 wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
BS. I know what what a flagship is.

But really? Do you talk like this to people in real life? Insult to an extreme degree everybody that makes every little mistake?
Obviously you do not or you wouldn't have phrased the title as such.
Star Wars 888 wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Nowhere in the title did I state or imply that flagships are a specific ship class.
I understand because you are so fucking dumb evading is the only way you can get out of answering but let's play this game.

Your title and post imply flagship as a ship designation instead of a ship wherein said personage raises said flag, or you would've rephrased the question better.
Star Wars 888 wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

Oh, he looked up the word. Yay! And to answer your bit, Stark already did, dumbfuck.

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Obviously you do not or you wouldn't have phrased the title as such.

I understand because you are so fucking dumb evading is the only way you can get out of answering but let's play this game.

Your title and post imply flagship as a ship designation instead of a ship wherein said personage raises said flag, or you would've rephrased the question better.
Bullshit. Flagships do exist in Star Wars. Did I say anything about it being a ship classification? No!

I asked why they go on flagships - flagships do exist, not as a ship classification but as a designation, typically a temporary one. Did I state ANYWHERE that they are a ship classification?

That's like me asking why something is controlled by the President and then you having a temper tantrum about me claiming that the President is an executive office.
Star Wars 888 wrote:
Oh, he looked up the word. Yay! And to answer your bit, Stark already did, dumbfuck.
Actually, I already knew that. Go to Wookieepedia and you'll realize that the information I stated isn't all found on the flagship page.

But really; that was completely unexpected. You jumped on something minor and petty that was absolutely irrelevant to the discussion.

Serafina wrote:
Hey, guess what, retard:
You said:
. Guess what, that's a tautology. A ship chosen by an admiracl as his ship is by definition his flagship :roll: If there is no admiral on it, a ship can not be a flagship no matter how bit etc. it is.
That's why we accuse you of thinking that you think that flaships are a specific ship class, since your statement makes no sense otherwise.
My point is that admirals chose flagships. That's correct. That's the definition of flagship. Nowhere in the title or OP did I state or imply that I thought that it was a ship classification. I asked why they go on flagships, not why they go on the ship type of a flagship. I understand that, if they're commanding from a ship that ship is a flagship, but the question of the thread is WHY they go on flagships when they can command from a planet.

You FREAKED OUT over some tiny technicality that's COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the thread. And even if I was wrong, people occasionally get words confused. There's no need to freak out over it.
Last edited by Star Wars 888 on 2010-08-25 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Actually, I already knew that. Go to Wookieepedia and you'll realize that the information I stated isn't all found on the flagship page.
Oh, this is KOMEDY!
So when you went to look up what a flagship you went to Wookieepedia? Or assume that other people do that?
God, you are such a moron :lol:
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Serafina wrote:
Oh, this is KOMEDY!
So when you went to look up what a flagship you went to Wookieepedia? Or assume that other people do that?
God, you are such a moron :lol:
The fuck?

I didn't go to look it up on Wookieepedia. I'm proving this by showing that I have information on flagships that WOOKIEEPEDIA DIDN'T LIST!

Then I shall ask the grand question:

Why the fuck does it matter? If you thought that I worded my title a little wrong, but so what? Do you expect everybody to look up a dictionary and find the absolute technicality of every single word and then make everything super technical? Does it matter? You know what the title's trying to say.
Last edited by Star Wars 888 on 2010-08-25 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Look, dipshit:
That should not be something notable. Normal people do not look into Wookieepedia for real-life information - nor do they assume tha anyone does.

It's like bragging "hey, i learned that from a book, not from tellie!!". Which really just tells us that that person is getting most of it's information from television. A person who doesn't do that wouldn't brag about it.

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Serafina wrote:Look, dipshit:
That should not be something notable. Normal people do not look into Wookieepedia for real-life information - nor do they assume tha anyone does.

It's like bragging "hey, i learned that from a book, not from tellie!!". Which really just tells us that that person is getting most of it's information from television. A person who doesn't do that wouldn't brag about it.
I'm not trying to brag about it. I didn't bring it up, because it's irrelevant to the topic. I'm responding to you flaming me for something that's absolutely irrelevant and unnecessary.