True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by Flagg »

Wow, Bill is a dick. Awesome ending to the season.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

wow, now I can't wait for next season, or for dexter to come back...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Jason, King of Methtown!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

JESUS FUCK SAM

(Why yes, I post while I watch)
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

*sigh*

This show continues it's tradition of utter brain death in plot consistency right to the end. While not quite the appalling horror that was half of season 2, this episode had a series of decisions that make me wonder if next season's Witch subplot is going to involve them revealing a brain-eating spell over the community.

- "Oh noes! Mah precious, treacherous Eric is chained to a homicidal maniac! I guess I'd better rush out of this wood-filled bar and.... not stake the maniac before dragging Eric in". The only reason Sookie had to not stake Russel was.... nah, drawing a blank here.

- "Hey, my new dumbshit loose cannon of a forced hire just found out the timing of a DEA raid, and rushed out of my office to stop it. Guess I better not mention that to the DEA at all, so they don't detain him or something". Andy, please take that V already. Maybe it'll fix the big ol' brain tumor what took up residence upstairs.

- "Hey, this girl I've known for two days wants me to run a town full of meth heads. While she runs off with some other guy. So... yeah.". Even for Jason, that is really stretching it.

- "Hey, I wanna change my life! HAIRCUT time!". Did that sequence have a reason, or does Rutina Wesley just REALLY enjoy quivering her lip?

- "I think I'll apologize to you for being a bitch, despite the fact that I'm the one who's been raped in mind and body, and you're the one who.... had her boyfriend cheat on her, while acting as though paying me any empathy at all was a huge favor during your gigantic suffering". Because that's how logic rolls in Bon Temps, I guess.

- "Hmmmm. I just easily escaped from the same trap I set for the psycho vampire who's entire purpose in life is killing me. Maybe I should check on him or finish him or something? Nah, gotta go deliver richly deserved humiliation to my romantic rival". I mean, really. Eric, too?

- "Having just been exposed to a vampire half my age cleaning my clock with technological superiority, I will challenge a vampire twice my age to a duel with.... no advantage whatsoever". I mean, does he want to be around to protect Sookie or not? Especially now that he has Eric to deal with again? Idiot. Plus the fact that the fangs+hovering thing looked beyond stupid.

Really, the only good, sensible decision was made by Sookie Stackhouse, disgustingly enough. And that decision was "Fuck you both" to Bill and Eric. Those two would be enough to turn a fang-banger into a Slayer :P

That would make a much better show than Sookie The Pretty Blond Fairy which we will be subjected to next season, really.

Which I will be watching. Because you can't get that annoyed about how the characters are acting without giving a shit what happens next. Plus, I'll need my fix of Hoyt and Jessica, who are, as per usual, beyond cute.

Besides that, on the plus side of affairs? Bill double-crossing Eric was awesome, mainly because of how unexpected it was. And how masterful it looked at the time. Pam brushing off his hit attempt like a fly was also cool. Besides this, I like the fact that they are in general finally addressing the whole ""BILL IS A CREEPY LYING FUCK" thing.

Lafayette - I'm waiting to see how this goes, but I can deal with a magic Lala.

Sam - I can only echo loomer: HOLY SHIT. That is, if he actually did shoot Tommy, which I think I have trouble believing. I don't think even the writers know if he has yet.

Tara's Mom - Tee hee! I like seeing the preacher again.

Jason - Despite the setup for this being idiocy beyond words.... I do actually want to see if they manage to make the "Jason takes responsibility" thing work.

Moar Sookie - I'm not really sure where to categorize the girl adding sadism and bullying to her list of bad traits. Suffice to say her garbage-compacting Talbot came out of left field.

Clumsy, but Season 2 remains the nadir of this show for the moment, and I eagerly await the next season.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Faqa wrote:- "Hmmmm. I just easily escaped from the same trap I set for the psycho vampire who's entire purpose in life is killing me. Maybe I should check on him or finish him or something? Nah, gotta go deliver richly deserved humiliation to my romantic rival". I mean, really. Eric, too?
I'm sure that it will probably be on he DVD (if it's not somewhere on the official site already) but Eric got out of the cement bath because he called Pam to him to get him out; Pam was bitchin' about never being able to get all the cement out of her hair remember? Russell had no one to do that to.

Apart from that, I generally agree with all your points, and have my own degrees of pissed-offnesses (lol at word creation).

One thing that should be obvious now though is that silver placed over the right areas on a Vamprie seems to be the magic-off-button-hyper-spray equivalent for True Blood Vampires. Or their Kryptonite if you like.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Crown wrote:One thing that should be obvious now though is that silver placed over the right areas on a Vamprie seems to be the magic-off-button-hyper-spray equivalent for True Blood Vampires. Or their Kryptonite if you like.
Its always been that way. A simple silver chain around the neck renders a vampire powerless, even though they should still be able to reach around and rip the arms off whoever is holding them.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Hmmmm.

Jessica + Hoyt arc; I like where it's going. Hoyt's mom is such a bitch.

Tara; Tara is obviously in deep emotional shock still. Just as she starts to recover, another supernatural event hits her. I can't wait until she finds out about Lafoyette's coming stuff...

Dealing with Russel - Personally, I think a construction site is a bad idea. I'd have encased him in a concreate block, and then stuffed him in my cellar or something.

Eric; Given the time between his being tossed into the mix by Bill, and his arrival at Sookies house, hopefully, there was a double check on Russel. Mental image that's to funny to ignore: Eric flying and dripping concreate once he was out.

Bill; Two tactical errors;
#1 - He didn't stake Eric while Eric was in the concreate. (I know he can't do this due to the whole love-triangle thing, and Erics future role in the books).
#2 - Instead of 'ordering' someone to kill Pam, he should have waited around for her, and dealt with her himself.

Jason; His own stupidity put him in that situtation. Now he has to deal with the consequences. Hopefully, he won't fuck up like always.

Detective Lafluer; Just take the damn V already.

Lafoyette: Man, I am glad they didn't kill him off like they did in the books. Now we have two witches involved. Perhaps a magic war for Lafoyette is brewing?

Tara's mom: Idiot. 'nuff said.

Sam + Tommy: I hope he just winged him, or hit him someplace to control Tommy. Followed by; "Okay, you know what, I'm taking back my money. However, because I turned your life upside down, you get one final chance. I'm seeing to it you learn how to read. But, cross me again....." Lots of potiental for character development and drama their.

Sookie: After what's she's been through, I'm not surprised she wasted Talbot's remains. I'm also not surprised the Fey showed up to relocate her. She's learning how to use her power when angry, and that's probably a bad thing. Time to reign Sookie in a bit. I look forward to her dating LC next session (oh, you all know that's coming).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Solauren wrote:Sookie: After what's she's been through, I'm not surprised she wasted Talbot's remains. I'm also not surprised the Fey showed up to relocate her. She's learning how to use her power when angry, and that's probably a bad thing. Time to reign Sookie in a bit. I look forward to her dating LC next session (oh, you all know that's coming).
Who is LC? Do you mean Alcide?

That said, my reactions:

All in all, the season finale was somehow underwhelming. It did not have nowhere near the tension as the previous finales did and it seemed to be all over the place. Everything just seemed like a long, dreary setup for next season. This just dragged what could have been the best season of True Blood down to medium quality.

AB said in an interview this season was all about identiy, and by god, do the identities we found out in the season finale suck. Sam's a bad guy, Tara is on the run, Eric let's vengeance overrule even his love for his maker, Bill is a creep, Sookie can be cruel etc.

Now, to the characters:

(pretty much all what Faqa said), plus:

- Russell was dispensed of almost as a byproduct to the whole Eric/Bill thing. True, he remained stylish up to the end, but still it seemed unfitting that the big bad of the season is just disposed off in this way.
- Sookie becomes crueler and crueler. Yeah, a lot of that is probably stress, but I for one cannot find the innocent girl of Season 1 who would not even curse in her anymore. Her scene flushing Talbot....
- Really, if Bill was serious about killing Pam, why not do it in person? Oh wait, brain damage by plot made by all characters this episode, I guess.
- Jason's storyline eventually was boring with no real payoff. What about the Quarterback? And all the other stuff?
- Hoyt and Jessica...okay, fine, but I kinda feel as if this is going nowhere.

Now, on to the two wonders of the episode:
- Eric. Really, he knows all about Bill's little secret, but keeps silent until he has bitten Sookie and betrayed her to Russell? Instead of just saying it when she actually trusted him? Yeah, idiot there too.
- Bill. Really? Frell me, I did not see the Rattrays coming. That said, he suddenly turned out creepy as hell. Nevermind his stupidity for not waiting for Pam, or challenging the Queen (unless he feels suicidal). You know what, I think I am going to say a bit more about Bill here, because this season has been pretty much about him. Truth to be told, I think this level of manipulation and the ability to keep quiet on it at all times is a bit at odds seeing how easily he got outmaneuvered by every other person. On some level I find the idea of Bill Compton = successful Machiavellian genius laughable.
He does have one redeeming feature however - restraint. Seeing that Sookie is Vampire crack and he has still resisted draining her dry...and I do believe he really loves her and does not mean her any harm. That said, he is still a creep and thank god Sookie booted both him and Eric out.

That part.... AB has made numerous connections to homosexuality with Vampirism, and the most noble and most kind Vampire so far turns out to be a creep? Not sure what the message here is. Is it simply that Vampires are predators who cannot be trusted? If so, how does that jive with the Vampires=homosexuals allusions?

Also, WTH was up with Bill suddenly being able to levitate? Really? He didn't find that useful all the time he needed to get to Sookie fast?

And the Godric flashbacks? Totally out of the blue....what, Eric is getting mad or is Godric speaking from beyond the grave? Was it Sookie's blood that did this? If so, why did Bill not get any visions? That whole thing just does not make any sense.

The whole disappearing act was anti-climactic.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, TWOP, while otherwise not being a good source, has nailed one of my problems with the season:
One of the show's biggest problems has become the swift resolutions to situations that are supposed to seem dire. Eric chained himself to Russell in a daytime parking lot and waited to burn alive at the end of one episode... only to be immediately saved by Sookie in the beginning of the following episode. Franklin reappeared out of nowhere and tried to kill Tara all over again... only to be immediately shot with wooden bullets by Jason. Bill buried Eric in cement... only to see him on Sookie's doorstep two seconds later. Bill was kidnapped by bitey werewolves in one episode... only to be met by Russell and given an enormous feast and a job offer 15 minutes later. We're not saying we wanted Eric to die in that parking lot, or for the Franklin-Tara thing to be dragged out any longer than it was, but there are no stakes anymore for these situations. We've been conditioned to know that they'll just work out fine in the next scene, and that's a major writing issue.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

With the season? Try the entire series. This was particularly egregious in Season 1, where every episode seemed to end with Sookie screaming.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Faqa wrote:With the season? Try the entire series. This was particularly egregious in Season 1, where every episode seemed to end with Sookie screaming.

Yeah, but back then the scenarios were not that ridiculous or you did not notice it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:- Eric. Really, he knows all about Bill's little secret, but keeps silent until he has bitten Sookie and betrayed her to Russell? Instead of just saying it when she actually trusted him? Yeah, idiot there too.
There really is no good time prior to this that Eric could 'oust' Bill to Sookie; he was still loyal to the Queen seasons 1-2 so he wasn't going to upset her plans then (and plus Bill was threatening to inform on Eric dealing V); and at which point could he have told Sookie in season 3?
Thanas wrote:And the Godric flashbacks? Totally out of the blue....what, Eric is getting mad or is Godric speaking from beyond the grave? Was it Sookie's blood that did this? If so, why did Bill not get any visions? That whole thing just does not make any sense.
They clearly weren't flashbacks, and I agree they sucked. Godric was my favourite vamp, turning him into a born again is fucking lame.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crown wrote:
Thanas wrote:- Eric. Really, he knows all about Bill's little secret, but keeps silent until he has bitten Sookie and betrayed her to Russell? Instead of just saying it when she actually trusted him? Yeah, idiot there too.
There really is no good time prior to this that Eric could 'oust' Bill to Sookie; he was still loyal to the Queen seasons 1-2 so he wasn't going to upset her plans then (and plus Bill was threatening to inform on Eric dealing V); and at which point could he have told Sookie in season 3?
Before Pam changed his mind and he locked her in the dungeon? Or at any part when he sent Hadley to her? After that?
------------
------------
My LPs
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

For that matter why didn't he take a couple of minutes to explain his plan to her when he first chained her up? She still might not have volunteered, but at least she might not think that he was planning on selling her out.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

no, no Godrick is now a Jedi.... :twisted:

next season we'll see him with Yoda, Anakin, Ben, and Qui-Gon as little transparent blue dude.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:
Crown wrote:There really is no good time prior to this that Eric could 'oust' Bill to Sookie; he was still loyal to the Queen seasons 1-2 so he wasn't going to upset her plans then (and plus Bill was threatening to inform on Eric dealing V); and at which point could he have told Sookie in season 3?
Before Pam changed his mind and he locked her in the dungeon? Or at any part when he sent Hadley to her? After that?
But none of those times guarantees that Sookie will believe him, and more to the point; he will be in the shit with Sookie. Consider; someone comes up to you and tells you that for the past three years the person you're involved with started the relationship under false pretenses. Also consider that this is the same person that has already betrayed you to Russell, has demonstrated a desire to kill your romantic interest and has been hitting on you insistently!

Even if Sookie does believe him, what's to stop her having the exact same reaction to the news that she had at the end anyway? You know; you treacherous bastard! How long did you know?! Get the hell away from me!

This kind of dirt spilling will not end in a good way for Eric, he did it, when he did, to ensure that Bill gets fucked over first and foremost. And it was perfect.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

If the show continues to mirror the books as far as themes for the seasons goes, you'll probably be seeing a lot of Eric in the next season with very little Bill.

Well probably more Bill then in the books but still, if the book and how the show reflects this books is any indication, it will be a very Eric centric season.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:- Sookie becomes crueler and crueler. Yeah, a lot of that is probably stress, but I for one cannot find the innocent girl of Season 1 who would not even curse in her anymore. Her scene flushing Talbot....
This just occurred to me; Sookie is like the ultimate V user in the series and if they're making her personality change radically that way on purpose (i.e. as a consequence of the V) then the writers are doing a good job.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I thought that was already clear to everyone. Might also be that she has a pretty dark reaction to it due to her heritage.
------------
------------
My LPs
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Actually that is a theme in the novels, though it is more spread out. The series has spanned, what, less than a year? Anyway, it could just be her adjusting to her new life of adventure and death. As she said earlier to Bill, their relationship has been one crisis after another. After being attacked by numerous monsters, including normal H. sapiens, finding her grandmother's bloody corpse, having her loved ones threatened or worse, and basically seeing a whole realm of death and darkness that she never imagined before, it's not surprising that she should grow some emotional calluses. I think by the end she was just sick and tired of being a scared victim and wanted to inflict some pain for once.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter