World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Zinegata »

Sephirius wrote:
Zinegata wrote:
Slacker wrote:I got nine kills in my T-44 in a match a couple of nights ago. I grant you, one of them was a BT-7 that I almost think I would've been better off not wasting a bullet on, but two others were Tigers and two more were T-34-85s. Couple of midweight Panzers, an arty, and I got the last potshot on a KV. 1900+ XP and the slack-jawed cheering of my comrades watching me.

Fighting the T-44 effectively is just like driving a P-3, except your gun can murderize things and you can actually take a hit. I didn't drop below 35kph the entire match, and that was only at the end when one of my tracks was damaged.
A well-driven T-44, IMHO, is the best tank in the game.
It needs/rumorhasitit'sgonnaget a nerf very soon, it's bullshit that a high velocity 75mm KwK 42 can't penetrate it from the front at point blank. The devs nationality is showing a bit much.
/jaded German Tank driver

Also, I heard that arty was going to get changed very soon as well.
Well, there's been a lot of rumors, but nothing confirmed save for the upcoming American tanks.

I think the T-44 is kinda fine as it is - it's just different from the German tanks. The T-44 excels as a short-range "dancer", but it's poor as a sniper, which tanks like the Panther excel at.

OTOH, if they also make it so that the Maus doesn't suck so much compared to the IS series, then maybe a nerf of the T-44 would be good.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Mr. Coffee wrote:I just had the best match ever... I was the heaviest tank on my team in my fully upgraded PzIV with the 75mm L70 gun and the other team had a pair of KV-3and three arties to out lone arty. But I told my scouts not toscout of the arty, I told them to scout for me. See, Following Schat's advice I got a cammo net for my tank (-25% to the chance of the enemy spotting you when you're still) and told the arety guy to stick to counter-battery fire.

I hug back at out base in a big stand of trees and bushes and waited. Didn't wait long...

Gunner, tank 2 o'clock 400m, AP, SHOOT! A PzIII died.

Next was a Luchs that thought his speed would save him.

Gunner, tank 3 o clock 250mm, AP, SHOOT! Luchs crumpled like god just hit it with his dick.

Then came the pain...

Two KV-3 down the middle. So I backed my tank down the teee line and let them come into our CAP. Told the arty to silence his gun as well and told my TD guys to stand by for my order to fire.

Two volley'd one KV-3 from 150m with a double 75mm broad side to his engine compartment, he blew up good if the fuel tank fire was any indication. My two TD and my one arty saw this as the sign I promised and they leveled that second KV-3. Two 105mm guns and a 150mm shell from that Hetzer hit that last Soviet tank like Uncle Joe had shoved his communist rod right in that poor tanker's ear.

Then I sawmy opposite acrocc the field, a lone PzIV. I told my team to stand back, this one was mine.

He tried to go for the ram pinon me but didn't under stand I was parked next to a fucking rock. I revered the engines ad laughed as he rammed a rock at full speed breaking both his treds at once, he wasn't going anywhere.. THen I put a 75mm shell into his turret, breaking it's ability yo turn. Manueverd behind him and placed a 75mm High Exposive shell into the weak rear armor and his tank exploded.

Then I contented my self a for a bit raping the light tanks their lone arty guy had sent to find me.
PzIIs burn nicely. The Ausf A driver crested hille right into my barrel and died hoorible got it.

then I hunted down their lone Arty guy, the last man standing for their team,a hummel. Pinned him to a tree and fired two shoots and he died.

SEVEN KILLS ONE MATCH!

Good job, but my god the automatch was awful. Two KV3s against a PIV?
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Just got to the point where I can get a Leopard. And ye gods I love my Panzerjager I. I picked it up as an alternate and change of pace, but now it is maxed out with a steadily leveling crew in low tier matches. Just had one with it where I found myself dug in on the enemy flank. As fast as my loader could stick shells, I put them into enemy tanks and ended the match with eight kills.

"Are you protecting your flanks general? Let's have a look."
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Once you start making decent amounts of money (Around Tier 5), I'd really suggest buying the 75% training for your new crew. It helps immensely, and even like 15% difference in crew has a significant effect.
I was quite disappointed by the T-34-85, which seemed inferior to the T-34 in terms of mobility and accuracy. It seemed like a heavy-lite, without the armor and firepower stand up against heavies and not enough acceleration to circle them. Then I got the second 85mm gun, and despite having only a little increase in penetration and damage in exchange for a lower ROF, it feels like a significant step up. The longer barrel seems to translate into better accuracy, and the increased penetration is quite useful. If their forums are to be believed, if you penetrate something's armor, the extra penetration applies to their internals, so there is a point over-penetration. On my first run with the new 85mm, I one shot a Panther V by setting it on fire, which then spread to his ammo rack. Now the 34-85 feels a lot less grindy.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Glad that camo netting I suggested worked out for you. :P
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Rekkon wrote:And ye gods I love my Panzerjager I. I picked it up as an alternate and change of pace, but now it is maxed out with a steadily leveling crew in low tier matches. Just had one with it where I found myself dug in on the enemy flank. As fast as my loader could stick shells, I put them into enemy tanks and ended the match with eight kills.
Yeah, the PzJgI is scarily effective for a Tier 2 TD, when I started playing I dabbled in all three trees (Bison, Pz.II, and PzJg.I) to get a feel of what I wanted to do, it was my highest scoring tank before my fully upgraded Pz.IV.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Damn, that was GOOD!
I just bought a 37mm automatic SH-37, the high-level rapid-fire gun for the A-20.
And voila, i was lucky and able to break trough the enemies lines - where i blew up all three of their artilleries, two tank destroyers and one light tank (i did not engage all at once tough) before a heavy tank blew me up with a single hit - i managed to set him on fire tough :twisted:

I think i will fully upgrade my A-20 over time - i sometimes really botch it and get killed before doing anything, but if i don't it's really fun.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Serafina wrote:Damn, that was GOOD!
I just bought a 37mm automatic SH-37, the high-level rapid-fire gun for the A-20.
And voila, i was lucky and able to break trough the enemies lines - where i blew up all three of their artilleries, two tank destroyers and one light tank (i did not engage all at once tough) before a heavy tank blew me up with a single hit - i managed to set him on fire tough :twisted:

I think i will fully upgrade my A-20 over time - i sometimes really botch it and get killed before doing anything, but if i don't it's really fun.
Don't worry, it'll stop being fun when your fully upgraded A20 starts getting chucked in with Panthers and Tiger IIs.
(and IS3s, and T44s..)
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

That's already happening to me all the time. It WAS happening during that match, i saw at least one enemy IS-4 and Tiger II. I just did not bother with them and went for softer targets.
I just avoid heavies nearly all the time and only go after mediums when i have support. Most of the time, i completely ignore enemies and just provide intel or zoom on and try to find targets that i can actually harm, such as TDs and Artillery.

Sometimes the matching system really screws up. I had matches where the fully-upgraded gun of my tank-destroyer could not harm the armor of enemy heavy tanks - not even at close ranges. I don't mind that in a light tank, or even a medium - but TDs are supposed to be good at penetrating armor, so don't throw them into matches where they can't penetrate any of the armor of enemy heavies.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Burn and die, artybitch!

Oh, that was so enjoyable. Enemy team was a wall of heavies and SPamGuns, so I just ran past all the IS's and Tigers, and went straight for the pieces of shit camping in the back areas while my team kept the heavies busy. Killed six of the point-and-click motherfuckers before any enemy support showed up, then I killed the one severely mauled Tiger that tried to stop me, rejoined my team, and helped finish off the heavy tanks.

Four Hummel's and two of whatever their Soviet counterparts are. It was so nice seeing those one-hand playing sons of bitches on fire.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

God, some people are just STUPID.
Okay, so another light tank and me in my A-20 are driving towards the enemy base - no enemies on our path, we already know that their artillery (four juicy heavy guns) are straight ahead.
And what does he do? He begins evasive maneuvers and CRASHES RIGHT INTO MY TRACKS. Hey, idiot, look where you are driving - i was driving in a straight line, totally predictable, and you are so dumb that you can't see me?
The result: A single defending medium tank blows both of us to pieces before we do any damage at all. If that had not happened, we would most likely have taken out their artillery.

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Rekkon wrote:Just got to the point where I can get a Leopard.
Just maxed it out and it's awesome. I didn't want to sell my Panzer III (since that's a fun raider as well), but goddamn it's a beast. At high tier matches you can still be a decent scount and artillery killer, but at low tier battles you completely dominate the battlefield. Sometimes I feel that the only things limiting your killing sprees on low tier matches is ammo and the fact that you can't be everywere at once (so others steal your righteous kills).
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Got a Beta key, but I just got in from work/school so I'm going to crash. Keep an eye out for "Miss South Carolina".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

wautd wrote:Just maxed it out and it's awesome. I didn't want to sell my Panzer III (since that's a fun raider as well), but goddamn it's a beast. At high tier matches you can still be a decent scount and artillery killer, but at low tier battles you completely dominate the battlefield. Sometimes I feel that the only things limiting your killing sprees on low tier matches is ammo and the fact that you can't be everywere at once (so others steal your righteous kills).
Oh indeed. I advanced to Leo by accident when I failed a spot check on the tech tree and did not realize that it was not connected to the vehicles below it. FiguredI might as well get it since I was there anyway, and it looked like a baby Panther. I made the mistake of taking it out before I had much equipment upgraded and "goodlordthat'salotofkingtigers..." That match ended badly, and it still seems that 4 of 5 matches throw me in with heavies (got to see a Maus). But now I have it maxed and am enjoying it. Most matches still end with that one track disabling hit of doom or ram interception, but every so often you pull off that epic light tank awesomeness.

Case in point was the first match where I realized that I loved my Leopard. We were on the big open map with the train track, and the game got a 1 on its automatch balancing roll. We were shorted two people and all the artillery. They got two KVs to our one KV-3. Everyone immediately began predicting our doom. I managed to slip into the enemy rear area. Spotted their first arty, another guy popped it. I then found their second and killed it. An A20 belated tried to come back and stop us. I killed him too. Two of us circled the flag once and spotted their last arty nearby. We finished him off quickly, then tag teamed a T-34 though my teammate bit the dust. Meanwhile the KVs had cleared the field (completely) and were lobbing shots from me at long range as I drove broad circles to drive up the capture counter. They lumbered slooooowly back to stop me, so I just slid in behind a hulk for cover and waited out the timer. Bam, victory for Zim. Top scorer on my team with 3 kills. My crew is now up to 81%, so I can unleash a lot of hurt on the move.

On the Panzerjager I front, my friend and I got in a tier 1-2 match last night that we knew from the getgo would be awesomely fun/unfair. We were the top listed people on our side and at least half of each team was level 1 vehicles. And judging from their lack of speed off the starting line, most of them were fresh players. It was Lakeville so we covered the valley. Predictably it took a long time for contact to be made and it was all in the center. A 35(t) came over the hill, and I two shotted it. By now our team was getting the worst of it, but that just mean fewer people to steal our kills. As they broke through to our base with a half dozen vehicles, we turned our murderous cannons around and annihilated them reverse slope style. Their last two feeble machines tried to circle around one of the valley mounds. First guy died, and then my friend flushed around to draw out the last LTraktor, giving me a perfect shot into its rear. I ended with 6 kills; my friend (also a TD) had 5.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The Leopard is a great tank when it's full upgraded. Problem is you rapidly find out a couple of simple truths when using leopards...

1. It's tier four tank right out of the box. Fully upgraded to elite and not it's a Tier 5 tank. Which leads to...

2. Becaue of the goofy match making system a good deal of the time you'll find your leopard in matches full of high tier Medium/Heavy tanks, TDs, and Artillery. Which leads to...

3. Once you make contact you better start zing zagging like a motherfucker and whatever you do don't stop. If you stop you die. But it's all pretty moot since once the Arty knows your there they'll kill you in one or two volleys anyway.

Only way I've seen that the Leo is really viable is working in a three leo platoon or if you luck out and the match making system puts you in a match where you're towards the top of the tier pile.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Finally gave in and snagged my Beta Key with free Valantine MK II tank!
Holy fucking shit is that matchmaking system broked. My 2pdr equiped Valantine went out to fight nothing but Panthers, KingTigers IS-2's. The only tanks I could threaten were the Panthers and that was only with rear shots. I figure I'd be fighting Panzer IV's and T-34's Hell frigging no.

Every time I took the Valantine out it was the same story, massive clusterfuck since I get no experience being one-shotted every time by all the 88 and above guns. So I sold my free premium tank and am leveling up that way, because fuck that shit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Mr Bean wrote:Finally gave in and snagged my Beta Key with free Valantine MK II tank!
That's your problem. Pretty much all the "premium" tanks blow. Just climb the tree like normal people.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mr. Coffee wrote: That's your problem. Pretty much all the "premium" tanks blow. Just climb the tree like normal people.
No kidding
What this game has is twinks. In that I mean there is a "best" tank or at least "super awesome" tank of each level. Get your tank to super awesome level and rule the match against all the mere mortals.

My super tricked out BT5 ran rings around all the other tier 1 tanks, was twice as fast and had the best gun of that tier to boot. However the instant I moved on up to Tier 3-5 it seems like I'm back to getting destroyed. What else can I call a damn Panzer IV equipped with a frigging 75mm L/70 Panther gun? It's not fun fighting KV1's and the like with 37mm guns now.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Well, thats because once you move past tier 1 and 2 you start having to use some actual tactics, and can't just charge headlong into battle. Your role in a light/light-medium tank is not to kill enemy tanks (except maybe some enemy lights), but instead to scout for your arty and your heavy tanks. Once you a Pz4 yourself you can start duking it out with enemy tanks again, though you still have to be careful around all of the very heavy enemy tanks. Move around with a couple of other medium tanks, and you'll be effective at that point.

Its simply takes a bit getting used to, when you first make that step up from the introductory tiers.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Yes, you really have to figure out how to use light and medium tanks. You don't learn it on the low tiers, where there are only light tanks.

But a light tank can't take on a heavy tank - the best you can do is shoot him with explosive shells and damage some component, and act as a distraction. The same goes for most medium tanks, unless you are fully upgraded and get a shot at their weak spots.
What you CAN do is scout and survive (if you utilize your speed the right way). And if you scout right, then your allies (especially artillery) will do the kills for you. Don't worry, that still gives good points.
If you want to kill stuff, kill the enemy scouts - you got the speed to do that, and if you have a rapid-fire gun you should hit them, too. Use explosives if they penetrate, for an increased chance of getting their tracks or engine.

Medium tanks are very good support tanks - you can't take a heavy tank on your own, but most guns can penetrate their side or rear armor. Advance with the heavies or other medium tanks and you will get them.
They are also excellent wolf packs - you can take out pretty much everything that way - artillery, TDs, heavies, scouts...you name it, a group of mediums will take it.
Your speed is mostly for getting where you are needed, and a little extra protection against heavy guns. You are generally not mobile enough to be that good of a scout, but that's possible too depending on your tank.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The problem is in order to get the speed I have to buy the engine upgrades, right now the Panzer IV's and KV1's are faster than my Tier 3 tank. So I'm getting murdered. I am spotting for artillery as much as I can but yet to see any points for my efforts.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well I just logged on using a MS-1. I think I lasted all of 3 minutes before being exploded.

Is there a way to maximize the screen? The game is running in a window.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

When I realized how hopeless my Leopard was going to be until I could max it, I left it unused and farmed experience on other vehicles until I had the XP/money to go back and beef it up. If you have a lower tank you like using, get it Elite (research all equipment upgrades), and save your gold for converting its XP to free XP which can then be spent researching things for your new vehicle. I am sure this is not an efficient strategy once you get into higher tiers, but it works well enough when you cross that hump into matches with heavies.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Yes, options should have a tick for full screen. Next log onto the SDN channel and anyone online can help you.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Mr Bean wrote:What this game has is twinks. In that I mean there is a "best" tank or at least "super awesome" tank of each level. Get your tank to super awesome level and rule the match against all the mere mortals.
That's another reason to stay out of the "premium" tanks. Those things add a tier orsoto your tank as far as match making goes. Really though, the match making shenanigans don't get to horrible until you hit the Tier Five vehicles,at which point you're going to spend half your time in matches against tanks you have damned near no change at all of even scratching their armor or you end up being the highest tier tank in a sea of low-tier nubs and go into a killing frenzy.
Mr Bean wrote:My super tricked out BT5 ran rings around all the other tier 1 tanks, was twice as fast and had the best gun of that tier to boot. However the instant I moved on up to Tier 3-5 it seems like I'm back to getting destroyed. What else can I call a damn Panzer IV equipped with a frigging 75mm L/70 Panther gun? It's not fun fighting KV1's and the like with 37mm guns now.
A standard issue out-of-the-store tank is always terrible against it's peers, much less higher tier tanks. So the first few matches you have in that new tank you're going to probably get your ass handed to you until you can grind up the XP for upgrades. For example, I just got into a VK3601 after having driven around a PzIV for a while. Now in my old PzIV which I had fully upgraded, upgunned, and added stuff like camo netting, a gun ran, and a spall liner I'd look at a "nub" 3601 and cackle as it exploded from a shot it never saw coming. Now that I've got my 3601 deciently upgraded if I even look at a PzIV funny it explodes.

So upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. And always remember that the gun with the longer barrel is usually the better gun (at least penetration wise).