Skyline Trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Skyline Trailer

Post by Zor »

Looks fairly impressive from this basic trailer. Also nice to see a film with aliens invading openly with spaceships, none of that Body Snatching/Secret Cult/Conspiracy nonsense, even if the whole "NASA invents FTL communication". Even so, i wonder what these alien dudes are doing

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Skyline Trailer

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Mildly interesting, hope it's cool. Will check website.

Is it just me, or does that trailer have defective sound?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Reading the Wikipedia article, I've got this weird idea that it'll be a bit like Cloverfield.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Tornado Ninja Fan
Redshirt

Post by Tornado Ninja Fan »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Mildly interesting, hope it's cool. Will check website.

Is it just me, or does that trailer have defective sound?
The embedded video is now titled "Skyline trailer - fixed sound" so it looks like it wasn't just you.

It looks like the aliens are using some kind of tractor beams to get humans into their spaceships, they are either interested in mass experimentation or they want to serve man.

Or it's just their way of inviting people to a rave party :lol: .
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Geez, I was wondering how long it'd take for movie makers to start using Hawkings line about aliens.

Dunno about the movie. I'll wait for more information, but this trailer doesn't get me excited for anything.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Second trailer is up

My gods this looks awesome.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

The only reason I might watch that is to see whether they can 1up Jeff Goldblum and the Mac Compatible Aliens or "THEIR WEAKNESS IS WATER" in terms of stupid third act ass-pulls so that the humans can win.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I dunno, the aliens seemed to be actually vulnerable to human weapons in that trailer.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

"On August 28th, 2009, NASA sent a message into space farther than we ever thought possible..."

This line is so stupid it makes my brain hurt and completely killed any interest in the trailer. Nit picking? Maybe. However, when you're doing a SciFi movie, you should at least get stuff like transmission times and possibilities right. If the message was sent August 28th, 2009, it either just cleared the Oort cloud, or is still in it, depending on the actual depth of the Oort Cloud.

Anyways, that aside, the second trailer looked okay. Some cool designs in there. I just have a hard time thinking of a way that the movie could not be "plucky humans fight off interstellar invaders... somehow". Maybe I'll be surprised and the movie will actually be the story of humanity being completely enslaved with absolutely no happy ending, but knowing Hollywood and action movies, I doubt it.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Or maybe it'll be ambigious, as a sequel hook. :)
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

However, when you're doing a SciFi movie, you should at least get stuff like transmission times and possibilities right. If the message was sent August 28th, 2009, it either just cleared the Oort cloud, or is still in it, depending on the actual depth of the Oort Cloud.
It's SciFi, they probably sent the message FTL.

Either that, or the aliens were passing through the system shortly after the message was sent.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I didn't realize we humans had FTL communications in 2009. That's cool. Oh wait...

There really is no justification for that line. Our early radio signals and the following EM buzz that we have generated over the past 100 years would do much more the identify us than one message that we supposedly super-charged or whatever.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Who gives a shit? It's got freaky UFOs abducting people en masse, so as the saying goes: it's just a movie, you should really just relax. :P
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

adam_grif wrote:
However, when you're doing a SciFi movie, you should at least get stuff like transmission times and possibilities right. If the message was sent August 28th, 2009, it either just cleared the Oort cloud, or is still in it, depending on the actual depth of the Oort Cloud.
It's SciFi, they probably sent the message FTL.

Either that, or the aliens were passing through the system shortly after the message was sent.
Earth gets its shit wrecked by Alien frat boys on way to the Cancun nebula
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Srelex wrote:Who gives a shit? It's got freaky UFOs abducting people en masse, so as the saying goes: it's just a movie, you should really just relax. :P
Again, it's not a major deal, as an action movie about aliens abducting humans with super technology and then consequently getting their shit wrecked is going to be condensed ultra-stupid and probably insult my intelligence 6 ways to Sunday anyways. ;)
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
Srelex wrote:Who gives a shit? It's got freaky UFOs abducting people en masse, so as the saying goes: it's just a movie, you should really just relax. :P
Again, it's not a major deal, as an action movie about aliens abducting humans with super technology and then consequently getting their shit wrecked is going to be condensed ultra-stupid and probably insult my intelligence 6 ways to Sunday anyways. ;)
Maybe we'll be lucky and the humans lose for a change.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Lord Relvenous wrote:I didn't realize we humans had FTL communications in 2009. That's cool. Oh wait...
Did you notice something in the trailer that said "THIS FILM IS EXACTLY REAL LIFE UP UNTIL WHEN THE ALIENS ATTACK"? I didn't. I mean, I'm pretty sure aliens didn't attack in 2010 either, but this film seems to think they did.

What they said was that in 2009, Scientists sent a message further than they realized. Great. This could mean several things; they sent a message at a greater speed than they ever thought possible (i.e. they invented FTL broadcast or something), that it was in 2009 that the signals were finally received (i.e. old ones) or that the message they sent in '09 was simply "detected" and had an impact that was more far reaching than they expected.

Blah blah 100 years of radio transmissions. If the aliens are cruising around in their super duper warp drives or some shit and only just got here from their home that is 120 ly away, then they wouldn't have seen any of that. Maybe the radio waves piqued their interest and they came in for a closer look to see what it was, only to find this SUPER NASA SIGNAL FROM 2009.

Are they even checking out radio waves? Is there some intrinsic physical property of alienium that dictates that all objects constructed of it must be constantly looking for life by searching for radio transmissions? It's what SETI did, but there's pretty obviously nobody actively making themselves know like that in our neighborhood. Maybe the Aliens SPACE SETI lost all their funding due to the financial crisis or something. I'm pretty sure that Aliens having phased out AM//FM radios is more plausible than the magical light that sucks you into the ship anyway.

Or maybe it was just fucking marketing crap shoved in there to tie it into the Stephen Hawking statement that was obviously made long after this movie was written and into production, in a lame attempt at generating verisimilitude.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Either way, those fighter planes in the movie were not F-22s but some other weird stealthy designs.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

As a massive fan of Scrubs, I doubt I will be able to take this movie seriously.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The aliens look exactly like Crysis :shock:

I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

adam_grif wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote:I didn't realize we humans had FTL communications in 2009. That's cool. Oh wait...
Did you notice something in the trailer that said "THIS FILM IS EXACTLY REAL LIFE UP UNTIL WHEN THE ALIENS ATTACK"? I didn't. I mean, I'm pretty sure aliens didn't attack in 2010 either, but this film seems to think they did.
First of all, 2010 isn't finished, so we have another 3 months and change for an alien attack. This is important because a major part of a lot of these movies is the "this could be happening to us". Either way, on the flip side of your argument, I didn't see any support for the idea that in 2009 these parallel humans raped the laws of physics. It's a wash.
What they said was that in 2009, Scientists sent a message further than they realized. Great. This could mean several things; they sent a message at a greater speed than they ever thought possible (i.e. they invented FTL broadcast or something), that it was in 2009 that the signals were finally received (i.e. old ones) or that the message they sent in '09 was simply "detected" and had an impact that was more far reaching than they expected.
Considering the line, I see no way that you could argue that they are talking about a signal already sent. The sentence explicitly states that the message was sent in 2009.
Blah blah 100 years of radio transmissions. If the aliens are cruising around in their super duper warp drives or some shit and only just got here from their home that is 120 ly away, then they wouldn't have seen any of that. Maybe the radio waves piqued their interest and they came in for a closer look to see what it was, only to find this SUPER NASA SIGNAL FROM 2009.

Are they even checking out radio waves? Is there some intrinsic physical property of alienium that dictates that all objects constructed of it must be constantly looking for life by searching for radio transmissions? It's what SETI did, but there's pretty obviously nobody actively making themselves know like that in our neighborhood. Maybe the Aliens SPACE SETI lost all their funding due to the financial crisis or something. I'm pretty sure that Aliens having phased out AM//FM radios is more plausible than the magical light that sucks you into the ship anyway.
What I actually said wrote: Our early radio signals and the following EM buzz that we have generated over the past 100 years
Whoops, where'd your point go?
Or maybe it was just fucking marketing crap shoved in there to tie it into the Stephen Hawking statement that was obviously made long after this movie was written and into production, in a lame attempt at generating verisimilitude.
And that counters my point that the sentence was stupid how? I'm not the one arguing for it to make sense. You are. Way to completely undermine any argument you were trying to make.

Either way, I seem to have touched a nerve with my snark. And Srelex told me to relax. I'm just pointing out how stupid it it, dude. If the movie establishes that some super scientist discovered FTL communication, I'll be more than willing to apologize profusely and beg for forgiveness at your feet. :roll:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Either way, those fighter planes in the movie were not F-22s but some other weird stealthy designs.
What second mark are you looking at? All I see are F-22s, B-2s, and Reapers (which seem to be showing up in a lot of recent movies). I could be missing something obvious though.
open_sketchbook wrote:As a massive fan of Scrubs, I doubt I will be able to take this movie seriously.
Hey! It's Turk!
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Wait.... There's an O'Neill in Crysis?!

Also, it's quite funny to see discussions regarding realism about a movie with glowy lights that abduct you if you look at them.

But, on the other hand, the how and the why of the en-masse abduction has me intrigued. Hope whatever happens in those ships is not as massively disappointing as martians not sucking people's blood in the War of the Words remake.

Oh, and a helicopter gets tentacle raped! :D No wonder the guy screams in horror.
unsigned
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Oskuro wrote: Also, it's quite funny to see discussions regarding realism about a movie with glowy lights that abduct you if you look at them.
We're fatty nerds, what do you expect?
But, on the other hand, the how and the why of the en-masse abduction has me intrigued. Hope whatever happens in those ships is not as massively disappointing as martians not sucking people's blood in the War of the Words remake.
I hope so as well. Again though, I doubt it.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

First of all, 2010 isn't finished, so we have another 3 months and change for an alien attack. This is important because a major part of a lot of these movies is the "this could be happening to us". Either way, on the flip side of your argument, I didn't see any support for the idea that in 2009 these parallel humans raped the laws of physics. It's a wash.
The laws of physics are already getting raped, by aliens, in 2010. Unless they were actually camping less than half a lightyear from Earth when the signal got sent out (assuming STL speeds), there's no way they could be here by the end of 2010. This implies the exact same ignorance of all other EM emissions that you seem to take issue with, OR FTL speeds for their travel. It has to be one or the other.
Considering the line, I see no way that you could argue that they are talking about a signal already sent. The sentence explicitly states that the message was sent in 2009.
Right, and an FTL signal, be it intentional or accidental (as the byproduct of an experiment, for instance. Given their apparent desperation to make it seem "plausible" to the layman, probably the LHC firing up :lol: ) would explain how it could go "farther than they ever expected".
Whoops, where'd your point go?
What "EM Buzz", if not radio signals, are you talking about? Are they going to be picking up the EM radiation coming off CRT monitors at 50 ly away? Radio waves are the only continuous transmissions that would seem unnatural that can actually go the distance, as far as I can recall. But do correct me if I've missed something obvious there.

Regardless, "the aliens weren't looking for them" is a simple explanation to why they wouldn't have seen our "EM buzz" in the past, assuming they're even within the 100 ly necessary to pick up any of it.
And that counters my point that the sentence was stupid how?
It wasn't meant to, but it's almost certainly the truth.
Either way, I seem to have touched a nerve with my snark. And Srelex told me to relax. I'm just pointing out how stupid it it, dude.
And I'm just rationalizing it, dude. It's the SDN way, right?
If the movie establishes that some super scientist discovered FTL communication,
Like I said before might not even realize that they did it. Accidental FTL signal would fit perfectly with the trailer's description.

Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Oskuro wrote:Also, it's quite funny to see discussions regarding realism about a movie with glowy lights that abduct you if you look at them.
Wait, what? Where did you get that from? The 'don't look up' line at the end of the preview? I think that was more of a vague movie one-liner warning against going looking for trouble, I'm pretty certain covering your eyes is not going to save you.

As for the movie... I might see it with friends, otherwise I'll wait to rent it.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee