World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by wautd »

Dilemma... Vanilla IS-1 has a decent engine and a decent gun, but what to upgrade first...
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Looks like WoT is struggling with the new patch atm, post here if you've noticed that it's stopped.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

It's pretty clear that it's widespread. There's a screenshot where we found out how high the ping gauge goes, turns out it maxes out at 999ms.

According to the patchnotes, this was supposed to be a bugfix. Which ishilarious.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

What's the SDN Opinion on going the heavy tank route for Germany vs. The Panther route?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So just now this douchebag in a T-46 sideswipes my A-20 in the early-game traffic jam, shoots me and takes out my port track, and goes on his merry way. About a minute later I see him skulking(in his light tank) in some bushes at 100%, I put a 76mm round in his rear, he drops down to 40%, and I guess it was a lucky shot because his engine went up.

Fucker shouldn't have shot me.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Lonestar wrote:What's the SDN Opinion on going the heavy tank route for Germany vs. The Panther route?
They both have their high points and low points as is to be expected.

For the medium line, the VK3001P is a piece of crap out of the box. Absolutely horrible until upgraded and even then felt underwhelming to me. The balance that you get is the VKDB, an all round awesome tank with incredible sloped armor so you bounce tons of shells. Frankly, if you could mount the 88mm long on the VKDB, I would never have touched the Panther. The unupgraded Panther ranks up there with the VK3001P as a shitty tank. The upgrade process is long and painful, but at the end you end up with a stellar vehicle, less speedy and maneuverable then its T-44 counterpart, but much better armed. The 88 long is truly a show-stopper weapon, you can hurt about anything out there and ammo costs are not too bad at all while it remains fast to aim and very accurate.

The heavy line is quite different. The VK3601 is a great tank when fully upgraded (been a long time since I ground it out, don't really recall how painful the upgrade process was). It remains a goto money-maker. Depending on how arty profitability is changed, my plan for retail is currently to get the hummel via Panzer IV and then elite the VK3601 as my main credit producers. The Tiger is a mixed bag. No real slope on the armor, so can and will be hit and not bounce much at all. I understand they fixed/reduced the module damage that plagued the Tiger pre-softwipe. Now its just a pain to grind out to get the upgrades, especially the lovely 88 long. The King Tiger shares a lot of upgrades with the Tiger, so if you have to grind credits and maxed the Tiger, you get a nice step up with the KT. The King Tiger is a nice tank, some slope on it, but nothing like the IS series and is also not as mobile. Good guns, even if the 10.5cm starts to go into the 1000+ credits per round range. I haven't played much with the KT, but enjoy it nonetheless. I have not touched the tier 9 or 10 germans, so can't really comment on those. Hope that helped, I'll elaborate more later if you need more info.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally got the 120mm gun on my IS-1 so I can hurt pretty much anything and it makes a huge difference on exp and credits earned. Still sitting on the fence on which upgrade to buy. Already got a camo net and a gun rammer.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Well, fuck me sideways. Here I thought this was just a giant troll thread like the World of SDN one...

Do we have a group?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

You can't form guilds yet, but there is an SDN chat channel, called, unsurprisingly, SDN.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Well, fuck me sideways. Here I thought this was just a giant troll thread like the World of SDN one...

Do we have a group?
If you think World of SDN is a "giant troll thread" why do YOU participate?

Schmuck. :roll:
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Well, fuck me sideways. Here I thought this was just a giant troll thread like the World of SDN one...

Do we have a group?
If you think World of SDN is a "giant troll thread" why do YOU participate?

Schmuck. :roll:
:lol: not that one. Remember the StarDestroyer.net RPG thread? They were kidding about how to beat Thanas or get him in your party and what not.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ah. Apologies.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:Ah. Apologies.
No harm done.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Well, a few days ago I got my Tiger. At first it was like a downgrade from my VK3601,the default gun is the 75L70 from the PzIV, but the 88L51 from the VK3601 works for it and makes a decient stand in till you grind up the 88L71 (which fucking rocks). Frontal armor is good enough to take some hard hits, but the side armor, while heavier than the VK36, has no slope at all and thanks to the Tiger's size you're going to be in matches with things that can punch through your side armor. Once you get it fully upgraded and the crew up to 100% the Tiger really start to shine as a solid money maker and it can punch well above it's weight.

Tiger IIs and VK45's no longer make you think "Take cover, flee, flee!" Instead you see them and think "Someone's about to have a huge fuckign repair bill and it ain't gonna be me". IS series tanks can be a pain in the ass, but the KV series all die in a fire against you, and anything small than T6 tanks dies if you get a bead on them. Had a match earlier today where a PzIV, a PzIII, and a pair of T-34s tried to mob me and instead they all died one by one and gave me another Iron Wall for their trouble. The top two tier TDs on each side can put the hurt on you, but if you're careful about approaching them they get to die in a fire too. Really, the only thing you'll have much trouble hurting are the Maus and IS-7, but go for the flanks and ass with some friends and they die too.

Give me a week and I'll tell ya how the Tiger II works out.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Tigers and their descendants have a real problem dealing with T-44s-I can circle you faster than your turret can traverse. You're absolutely right about their side armor, the complete lack of slope is a big disadvantage.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Slacker wrote:Tigers and their descendants have a real problem dealing with T-44s-I can circle you faster than your turret can traverse. You're absolutely right about their side armor, the complete lack of slope is a big disadvantage.
T-44s aren't hard to kill with a Tiger. You just don't try to turn with them, aim for their tracks then pump shells into their flanks and ass. Getting my turret to track is as easy as reverse turning.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Yeah, when I'm dealing with a good Tiger driver I basically use terrain to break off and re-engage...but there are a lot of bad Tiger drivers.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Slacker wrote:Yeah, when I'm dealing with a good Heavy Tank driver I basically use terrain to break off and re-engage...but there are a lot of bad Heavy Tank drivers.
Fixed.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Well played, sir, well played. I do love how it results in people who drive heavies bitching about how the top tier mediums are 'too good'.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Slacker wrote:Well played, sir, well played. I do love how it results in people who drive heavies bitching about how the top tier mediums are 'too good'.
Well, they're right in some respects. While I can engage and win against a T-44 or a Panther, both of those tanks have the ability to clean my Tiger's clock if I'm careless or I'm facing more than one of either (seriously, you want to make Heavy Drivers nervous just bring a platoon of T-44s or Panthers on the field and now you've become the priority target of everyone on the OpFor). Hell, even my VK3601 can put the hurt to Tier 7-8 tanks, but then I've it upgraded, 100% crew, and three equipment add-ons (camo net, gun ram, gun lay drive). Against a new TY7 heavy my VK36 can ruin their entire day, never mind a Panther or a T-44. But against a fully upgraded T7 and a driver that knows how to engage faster targets, medium tanks aren't much of problem unless there's a lot of them and they catch you in the open.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

How long does a match usually take (in hours) and how much do you need to get a newer model (in hours)?

Because this game sounds very interesting but I do not know if I have the time...
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Thanas wrote:How long does a match usually take (in hours) and how much do you need to get a newer model (in hours)?

Because this game sounds very interesting but I do not know if I have the time...
Matches all have a hard time limit of 15 minutes, but most matches will last between 5 to 10 minutes before one side takes the other's CAP or destroys all their tanks. As far as moving up to higher tier tanks, it depends on the tier your moving to. Moving from the T-1 noob tank to the T2 tanks/SPGs/TDs takes maybe an hour, if that. Going from a T5 tank like the PzIV to a T6 tank like the VK3601 might take you a couple of days. The higher tier of the tank you're moving to requires more experience points to unlock.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Thanas wrote:How long does a match usually take (in hours) and how much do you need to get a newer model (in hours)?

Matches all have a hard time limit of 15 minutes, but most matches will last between 5 to 10 minutes before one side takes the other's CAP or destroys all their tanks. As far as moving up to higher tier tanks, it depends on the tier your moving to. Moving from the T-1 noob tank to the T2 tanks/SPGs/TDs takes maybe an hour, if that. Going from a T5 tank like the PzIV to a T6 tank like the VK3601 might take you a couple of days. The higher tier of the tank you're moving to requires more experience points to unlock.
I've been playing off and on for a few weeks, and I'm up to Tier 5 for Russia. I stopped working on the German tanks for now, because the developers screwed up on their research. It looks like they used each nation's research on armor penetration to stat the guns out, but missed the fact that the Russians fired at unsloped armor, while the Germans used armor sloped at 30 degrees for penetration testing. Every single German gun appears to be underpowered with regards to penetration because of this.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

You'll love the history/alternate history forums. Trust me :twisted:
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Mr. Coffee wrote:

I asked someone who had just sold his IS7 a few days ago how much XP he had wasted getting it. The response: About 700k XP...at the theoretical minimum.

For reference, I have about 300k XP and I've just about been playing the beta since it started. Apparently I'm just not playing it *enough*...:banghead: