What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Uraniun235 »

I just finished reading It Can't Happen Here. Pretty gripping book.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Just finished A Higher Form of Killing: The Secret History of Chemical and Biological Warfare by Robert Harris and Jeremy Paxman, makes nuclear weapons seem like childs toys.

Part way through The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, cyberpunk in a post cheap-energy world
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Just started on Zombieslayer by Nathan Long, and seems to be pretty decent so far.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dead Beat, Jim Butcher, part of the Dresden Files.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Maskerade by Sir Terry Pratchett. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero, by Dan Abnett. So far, it's very funny, in a punny, British way.

It reminds me a lot of the Ciaphas Cain stories, which is odd since Abnett's characters Gaunt and Eisenhorn are about as far as you can get from Ciaphas Cain.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Still reading Drake's RCN and the Brunner omnibus by the Black library

ok, now finally on blood of the dragon from brunner, and on "Some Golden Harbor" by Drake.

also I've got 4 Rogue Trader books to read.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Broomstick wrote:Dead Beat, Jim Butcher, part of the Dresden Files.
I think this might be favorite book in the series.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Hey, ya gotta admit - riding a zombie T. rex into battle is awesome!

Awesome enough I can forgive his geographical errors - during the early part of the series it's pretty obvious he'd never actually been to Chicago to anyone who has lived in Chicago. He has visited now, and learned to use Google Earth.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

The Grand Design, Stephen Hawking. Like the previous two books fun to read, and sufficiently dumb-ificated for a lay reader like me.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Now on Jingo in my parade of Discworld books.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Just got me mitts on Surface Detail, the new Culture novel. Only about 100 odd pages in so far, but its already moving more quickly than the start of Matter.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Finished up Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell a couple days ago and now I've got a book on the Assassins (or so called Assassins as it turns out) to satisfy my history bug and I've also started in on a biography of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Fun fact: Did you know that Stephen Tobolowsky was in a band with SRV in the early days of Vaughan's music career? Before Vaughan had even graduated high school, in fact.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Bob the Gunslinger

Broomstick wrote:Hey, ya gotta admit - riding a zombie T. rex into battle is awesome!

Awesome enough I can forgive his geographical errors - during the early part of the series it's pretty obvious he'd never actually been to Chicago to anyone who has lived in Chicago. He has visited now, and learned to use Google Earth.
You also have to love his dog. "Mouse, kill him."

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

I just finished David Brin's Uplift series, which I thought was a good read. I understand there is some sort of problem with the man's thoughts, though?
Bob the Gunslinger

He blasphemed against Star Wars.

open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

So I get a kindle a few months back. Do I use it to impulse buy new novels and non-fiction to enrich my reading selection?

No, I fill it with fanfiction and textbooks. God damn I'm such a nerd.

Read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, though, after leaving it on my shelf for ever. It's wierd to watch Hienlein's politics wander about through his books; Starship Troopers was basically militant facism while this is very libertarian, and in between that Stranger in a Strange Land was counter-culture. That's three radically different political opinions in seven years; not bad. I wanna keep reading his stuff just to see what he advocates next.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Finished up The Falklands War 1982 which was a fairly good, if dry, history of the conflict. I'd be interested to see something written more recently with the benefit of more leaks/FoI/collapses of Juntas.

Also just re-read The Atrocity Archives.

And am now reading Spycatcher. Not a clue how liberal he's being with the truth in some of these scenarios, but there are some hilarious anecdotes.

Like bugging the Russian Embassy in Ottawa with the RCMP with 8 bugs, but labelling them randomly between 1 and 20 so that if they were ever found the Russians would pull down the rest of the building trying to find the other 12.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I must say that Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures is genuinely underrated, with a whole set of Ankh-Morpork characters introduced that become reoccurring and popular in Discworld for many years to come (Ridcully and CMOTD, etc), plus we have a beginning of the theme of modern things being jokingly imposed on a fantasy setting with more internal consistency and with a serious message behind it (like with Going Postal).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I did a re-read of The Stand by Stephen King, except that this time it was a read of the original version published back in the late 1970s. It really is a lot better than the uncut version from 1990, which has all the problems of "late King": bloat, meandering character development and back-story that doesn't really progress the main plot or matter, and so forth. I don't think I'll be able to read the latter again.

I also tried K.J. Parker's The Folding Knife, and didn't like it. Some of the politics and minutiae about banking was interesting, but the main character is just so bland and colorless*, and virtually every single female character in the book is either an asshole, stupid, or both, often in one-dimensional ways.

*Spoiler
The scene where he walks in on his wife screwing her lover, and ends up killing both of them, was probably the dullest adultery-leading-to-crime-of-passion scene I've ever read.
I think I might try some more Mieville, while I wait for Towers of Midnight to come out.
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:He blasphemed against Star Wars.
Lord of the Rings as well, although his essay against Star Wars is by and far the more stupid one.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finished the Ravenor omnibus. Now started on the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus;

Also Jon Stewart's Earth: The Book for some lighter reading
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I also tried K.J. Parker's The Folding Knife, and didn't like it. Some of the politics and minutiae about banking was interesting, but the main character is just so bland and colorless*, and virtually every single female character in the book is either an asshole, stupid, or both, often in one-dimensional ways.
I'm a pretty voracious reader, and I found a little dry, too. I liked the wheeling-dealing scheming stuff the most, though the whole book was a pretty egregious violator of the whole show-not-tell rule.

As for me, I just read the Earth's Children series. I remembered hearing about these books as a teenager (in a 'hurr hurr cavemen sex' context), but last month, I was so unbelievably bored visiting my in-laws, that I swiped the first one from sister-in-law's old room. A few weeks later, I'm all done with the books, and I found them interesting and enjoyable. I hear the sixth and final one's due out next March, and I'm looking forward to it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

The Gripping Hand
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just finished The Well of Stars by Robert Reed, a sequel to Marrow (which I now want to re-read). It was... interesting. A bit of a ride, but in some ways I liked Marrow better. BIG science fiction - artificial worlds as space ships, living nebula (sort of), and a knife that can (and does) slice through entire planets. Immortals, aliens, all sorts of things.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville - wow, it's LOTS better than I thought it would be! Planning to read the other two in the same universe.