Superman's New (temporary) Look

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Re: Superman's New (temporary) Look

Post by Bakustra »

I think it might be helpful to give examples of awful Superman costume changes, to put this in perspective:

Superman Red/Superman Blue
, aka Electric Blue Superman:
Who came up with this?

After that, a Superman costume or outfit can't be "bad" until it leaps up from the page and starts punching you.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pfft, they wanted to change Superman from Mullet man, support a useless crossover, and simultaneously spank off to a Silver Age story.

And given some of the entries they had for that contest, Electric Boogaloo Superman was not even close to the worst.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

No but seriuosly - Superman can't wear a hoodie. How will a mang with x-ray vision see around him if he's wearing a hoodie ?!!? 8)
It's a CRAP! I'm not thinking he'll have trouble seeing, more about how he will look. Is Superman Chilly? Is Superman uncomfortable with his Body?
Er... were we looking at a different picture? He's wearing a brown jacket with one of those fake "I'm wearing a hoodie under this" sewn on hoods, and a white shirt. I imagine he'd look quite smart with that shirt done up to hide the big S on his chest.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Ghost Rider wrote:Pfft, they wanted to change Superman from Mullet man, support a useless crossover, and simultaneously spank off to a Silver Age story.

And given some of the entries they had for that contest, Electric Boogaloo Superman was not even close to the worst.
Sure, but it's the worst that they actually published and expected people to take seriously. Otherwise, we'd be arguing about whether putting him in Vartox's formal wear would be the best or worst costume (My vote's for best). :P
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Bakustra wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Pfft, they wanted to change Superman from Mullet man, support a useless crossover, and simultaneously spank off to a Silver Age story.

Sure, but it's the worst that they actually published and expected people to take seriously. Otherwise, we'd be arguing about whether putting him in Vartox's formal wear would be the best or worst costume (My vote's for best). :P
Not much different then 90% of the stories out there. That is not to say it omits said ideas/stories/look from being mocked or otherwise laughed at, just that the general hilarity of faux outrage these things garner is just something that comic companies try to do to update characters with degrees of of indifference or complete bewilderment to most. Spiderman being far more used in these particular situations. Even for DC's stable, a case in point can be brought up with Batman. They give him a costume that gets rid of the blue underoos...and fans get bitchy.

Though sadly in the case of Vartox I wish they would use him more the context that he was used for said PG story. He is another Silver Age character, they've dug back up but they are using him as humor angle versus his original serious angle. Did better then most in that he still believes himself as the pinnacle of male throughout the universe or galaxy but they mocked his speedo look rather then think that worked for the audience. Mind you, maybe kids in the 50s-60s thought that is what super spacemen should be wearing.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So Superman's new look from the comic:

RUINED FOREVER! :lol:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually I think the yellow border around the chest symbol is new for him, though I think Kara used it before. But yeah, totally massive departure form the classic layout :P
The colours are off but that very much looks like ambient lighting.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Batman wrote:Actually I think the yellow border around the chest symbol is new for him, though I think Kara used it before. But yeah, totally massive departure form the classic layout :P
The colours are off but that very much looks like ambient lighting.
It is. Other places with less red lighting show it as the standard Blue.

It's not a bad change of pace....
Spoiler
The story behind the destruction of Krypton is different. In this story Rao has two planets that support sentient life, and every 20 years the orbits line up enough for war. Prior to Clark's birth, someone gives the other world the technology to destroy Krypton, and in the next round of conflict (with Kal as a baby), Krypton is targeted, and about to bee blown up. Jor-El is able to send his some away, but the ship's course is tracked, and eventually one of the aliens from the Rao system makes it to Earth, where Clark is forced to confront them, or watch Earth be destroyed. The trigger for him fighting is Jimmy, who refuses to back down from the alien war machines...
Spoiler
The hooded jacket is only worn by Clark before he becomes Superman, and by the end, we've got Clark Kent, Staff reporter for the Daily Planet (in the usual duds, but not the usual Glasses).
All in all I'd rate it slightly bellow Superman: Secret Origin as far as Superman origin stories go. I need to pull out and read both Birthright and The Man of Steel to correctly rate this in relation to them.

Tentatively, with 52 being a 10/10, I give Superman: Earth One a 7.5/10.

One other thing to keep in mind is that this story is totally out of continuity for now. Who knows what direction JMS is going to take his current Superman run.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I figured out why I don't like this version of the Superman origin story as much as Secret Origin - it lacks the source of grand adventure that Johns integrated into his version. On the other hand, it could very easily appeal to a much wider audience this way. Metropolis is a very lived in city, and the comic has some nice touches - for example rather than sewing the blankets together, Martha has to pull the fabric into constituent threads, and loom them into the material that she then uses to make the costume.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I seem to recall a nascar/redneck superman where he had fingerless gloves with 'S' symbols on the backs of his hands, or maybe overalls or something. Is that real, or did I imagine it?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

If I were going to redesign Superman, I'd keep it very basic: blue bodysuit with the red "S" diamond symbol and red boots. No cape. It would streamline the look of the character but still remain rooted in tradition.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Patrick Degan wrote:If I were going to redesign Superman, I'd keep it very basic: blue bodysuit with the red "S" diamond symbol and red boots. No cape. It would streamline the look of the character but still remain rooted in tradition.
While it is a bit of a redesign, I see this as more JMS getting a playground where he doesn't have to deal with the current continuity (which while complex, does provide some great background to the character [See just about anything with the Superfamily post Infinite Crisis]). If this is a one-shot then that's fine, if it's a series then it's an ok start, but could go down hill quite quickly.