Knife's sketch ships

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Enterprise reimagined ships

Post by Knife »

Sarevok wrote:I think I recall reading the SW fanfic you mention. It was unique and interesting. Do you plan on finishing it ?
Maybe one day, I'm pretty swamped with school. Making these models is kind of ... not thinking really, just kind of doing. So it's escapism for me where writing, while I like to, is more involved and more like work.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Worked a bit on one configeration, a cruiser version of the Battleship. I have decided that the Corellians would make a hull and make two or three types of vessels out of it. The cruiser version is the base line for the hull design. The first type/class made with the hull. Haven't named it yet but... let me know how you like it.

Port side view
Kept the landing bay configuration. Added point defense guns to the sides, 4 per side. 12 total on the model.

Front quarter

Front/bow
Obviously took out the 'main gun', only the battleship will have that and increased hull space (will have two of the blocky hull structures linked together and more main engines)

Closes up to the bow and bridge structures along with forward batteries

Aft quarter

Good shot of the engines
Got the two main engines plus two blocks of two secondary engines. Emergency, or maneuvering engines? Don't know.

Anyway, couple stats:
HTL- 12
LTL- 12
2 fighter wings
1 assault lander squadron
1 shuttle squadron.

This isn't the color scheme, really don't know what I'm going to do with that. Really haven't played with it much on this program. Figure some off white and a scattering of red 'paint' if I can get the effect right. Black colors on the 'machinery'.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Now added second hull to Battleship and a proposed engine layout, not sure if I should do a cross or an X on the engines.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Took a break from the big ships to plan a little on the axillary vessels. Came up with two types of shuttles real quick. One is the base design, regular shuttle for ship to ship or ship to ground travel. Ramp under the nose, small compartment behind the cockpit, a T shape, for 8-12 passengers. The other one is an assualt variant, meant to latch onto other ships with it's docking port, and with a small auto cannon turret on top. The 'dual' cockpit has a bottom spot for the docking pilot with the upper having two stations. One for the pilot and one for the navigator/weapons.

For reference, since I can't find the function to put a little dude in there, is the length of the vessel is 11.25 meters. The cockpit structure is 1 meter in width.

Tail like structures are comscan gear.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Knife wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:The positioning of the bow guns looks a little odd to me. Positioned on that thin strut. Wouldn't they need more bracing?
Are you talking about the main battery out of the lower shroud, or the forward HTL's on the half moon bow structure?
I was talking about the one's on the thin half moon structure. I hadn't really noticed the huge cannon sticking out the bottom, I blush to admit.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Playing around tonight, added some shuttles to my landing bay on the Cruiser...

Now with ships in there, I might have to revise my auxiliary count. Bay is a bit smaller than I thought it would be once you start filling it up with stuff. :)

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Thought I'd put up my idea for a fighter for these things too;

Corellian Starfighter, port side. For reference, the whole ship is 5.75 meters long.

3/4 view. The small cockpit is just big enough for a pilot and his gear. Micro fighter for the win. :)

Aft with engines.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I kind of like the fighter, but how does it dock with the carrier? SW fighters usually land on a flat surface, don't they?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The Nebulon-B, due to its lack of a proper hangar (or at all), has docking tunnels that go around either a hatch or the cockpit opening of the fighter.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I actually envision something rather mundane. The two smaller bays aft of the shuttle bay is the fighter bays. Each one has 6 recesses, for a fighter. I imagine landing gear on the fighter, probably from the bottom engine pod. Only two 'pads', engines are heavier than the cockpit so it would balance.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I like your fighter design, but I think the engines could be slimmed down a bit.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I like your fighter design, but I think the engines could be slimmed down a bit.
Hmm, some thing isn't quite right but I'm not sure it's the engine. I think the fuselage is too small for the engines, perhaps I need to bulk up the main hull of the ship, it is awfully small.

Lets see if this looks better...

This version is 7.1 meters in length, so about 2 meters longer than the first version but I think is a bit meatier.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Now the top two engines look too far away from the cockpit form the front view. How would it look if you had the engines be pyramid with the two engines on bottom and the solo engine on top?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

FaxModem1 wrote:Now the top two engines look too far away from the cockpit form the front view. How would it look if you had the engines be pyramid with the two engines on bottom and the solo engine on top?
Aesthetically, I want the two up top, or it'll look too much like an EU design, whose name escapes me at the moment. But, you're right, the top two are too far away now.