World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Mr. Coffee »

It's a pretty hilarious place to troll though.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I can't be expected to be constantly trolling the place, fun as it may be, can I?
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I'd join you Coffee, but my best is a VK3601 and I'm just getting the new suspension let alone something better than the 75mm it starts with. If you need a good scout I could jump in with my PzIII or T-34 though.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

I'll have a tiger in a day or two.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Still about 20k xp until I can get out of the T34-85. I hope the T-43 is more fun, the T34-85 just feels average, not bad and not great. Has anyone done the T-44 grind and can let me know if better things are in store or do I have to wait for the T-44 for the fun to resume.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally giving artillery a try. It's kinda... relaxing.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

The T-43 definitely feels better than the T-34-85. Despite being higher tier, it doesn't feel as if you're actually placed in different kinds of matches compared to the T-34-85, so it's purely an upgrade. Mainly its higher armour and HP allows you to survive a stupid mistake or last longer in a head-to-head fight. The firepower and speed are the same as the 34-85, though, if that's your issue.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Head to head should be avoided with Mediums unless you're engaging a lower tier. Against same tier/higher tier or against heavies, use your speed and maneuverability to try and keep on their flanks and rear and do your best to keep their barrel off of you. A T-34-85 or bigger can ruin an Teir 7-8 heavy's day is you do it right. Go for the detrack shot to stop them from moving/slewing the tank to speed turret traverse and hit you, and while their track is down hit the sides and rear. If you try and go head to head with, say, a Tiger or Tiger II in that T-34-84 or T-43 or even a T-44 that heavy is probably going to pull your head off and laugh. Don't be dumbass medium driver, be smart.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
JointStrikeFighter

holy shit the tiger stock is TERRIBLE
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:holy shit the tiger stock is TERRIBLE
Did you not Elite your VK36? If you did you should have the VK36's 88mm and the Tiger's second engine upgrade...
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Gun only fits on the better turret, for which you need the better tracks, so its mostly stock until you have both of those.
JointStrikeFighter

General Schatten wrote:
Did you not Elite your VK36? If you did you should have the VK36's 88mm and the Tiger's second engine upgrade...
I went vk3001h
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Head to head should be avoided with Mediums unless you're engaging a lower tier. Against same tier/higher tier or against heavies, use your speed and maneuverability to try and keep on their flanks and rear and do your best to keep their barrel off of you. A T-34-85 or bigger can ruin an Teir 7-8 heavy's day is you do it right. Go for the detrack shot to stop them from moving/slewing the tank to speed turret traverse and hit you, and while their track is down hit the sides and rear. If you try and go head to head with, say, a Tiger or Tiger II in that T-34-84 or T-43 or even a T-44 that heavy is probably going to pull your head off and laugh. Don't be dumbass medium driver, be smart.
Well, if we're talking standing off at ten paces and blasting each other you're absolutely right. If we're just talking about engaging 1v1, I have no compunctions about engaging a Tiger or a KT in my T-44. Especially the Tiger-it doesn't have the armor to ignore me and I can move much faster than its turret.

I do confess to a certain sick satisfaction parking in front of a Panzer IV and systemically vaporizing it while its return fire bounces off of my armor.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Slacker wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Head to head should be avoided with Mediums unless you're engaging a lower tier. Against same tier/higher tier or against heavies, use your speed and maneuverability to try and keep on their flanks and rear and do your best to keep their barrel off of you. A T-34-85 or bigger can ruin an Teir 7-8 heavy's day is you do it right. Go for the detrack shot to stop them from moving/slewing the tank to speed turret traverse and hit you, and while their track is down hit the sides and rear. If you try and go head to head with, say, a Tiger or Tiger II in that T-34-84 or T-43 or even a T-44 that heavy is probably going to pull your head off and laugh. Don't be dumbass medium driver, be smart.
Well, if we're talking standing off at ten paces and blasting each other you're absolutely right. If we're just talking about engaging 1v1, I have no compunctions about engaging a Tiger or a KT in my T-44. Especially the Tiger-it doesn't have the armor to ignore me and I can move much faster than its turret.
You'd better not have any, I'll take on a Tiger in my T-34 any day of the week and usually do a good job of it. Speed and good turning is a beautiful thing.

Oh, and I think I did something very very right in a previous life, I nearly got 6 kills in a hummel. That's almost enough for me to not hate the thing. Bagged a luchs, a T-46, got a second T-46 stolen from me at 2%, tracked a hetzer and blew it up at my leisure, repeated the trick on a stug, and blasted a damaged panzer 4 from the side till it died. Anybody else got a story of a ridiculous round in a horrible tank?
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

xthetenth wrote: Well, if we're talking standing off at ten paces and blasting each other you're absolutely right. If we're just talking about engaging 1v1, I have no compunctions about engaging a Tiger or a KT in my T-44. Especially the Tiger-it doesn't have the armor to ignore me and I can move much faster than its turret.
You'd better not have any, I'll take on a Tiger in my T-34 any day of the week and usually do a good job of it. Speed and good turning is a beautiful thing.

Oh, and I think I did something very very right in a previous life, I nearly got 6 kills in a hummel. That's almost enough for me to not hate the thing. Bagged a luchs, a T-46, got a second T-46 stolen from me at 2%, tracked a hetzer and blew it up at my leisure, repeated the trick on a stug, and blasted a damaged panzer 4 from the side till it died. Anybody else got a story of a ridiculous round in a horrible tank?[/quote]

A recent match in Komarin with my KV. Was a solid tier 4-5 match with light arty bullshit. Player sniper from just outside the starting area, piling up two kills on the middle bridge, completely blocking the thing. Then I turned west and crossed over into out flag zone, killing a T34 and a PzIV. By this time the three TD's and a Grille on the enemy side are all thats left, and it'd down to me and a PzIII/IV on my team. The Panzer dies to a Hetzer after taking out a Stug, I tear down the Grille while taking fire from the Hetzer (I was down to AP ammo), and managed to get the Hetzer down to 1% before it finally managed to kill me.

However, this match was an aberration. Normally, I get thrown up against JagdPanzers, Ferdinands, King Tigers, IS4's and T44's. Or hordes of 3601's, Tigers and little point-and-click bitch arty. All of which are faster and outgun me horribly, so a single match of fun is the one bright spot in a litany of pure bullshit stupidity.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
I went vk3001h
That was a mistake... :P
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

xthetenth wrote:Oh, and I think I did something very very right in a previous life, I nearly got 6 kills in a hummel. That's almost enough for me to not hate the thing. Bagged a luchs, a T-46, got a second T-46 stolen from me at 2%, tracked a hetzer and blew it up at my leisure, repeated the trick on a stug, and blasted a damaged panzer 4 from the side till it died. Anybody else got a story of a ridiculous round in a horrible tank?
Not in horrible tanks, but I've had some great rounds lately:

On Erlenberg, it was a low-tier match with my stock KV-3 as our only team's heavy, facing a pretty much identical team. I camped on our part of the town, sniping the meds and lights that tried to pass through the lower bridge, while the opposing KV-3 sat behind a building doing nothing. After demolishing their rush, our meds flanked them, got their artillery, and we advanced on the heavy that was still hiding in the city by itself. It was glorious. I only got 4 kills, but that was only because I couldn't quite one-shot the meds, and it wasn't worth it to waste ammo just for that last 4% of their health.

On Ensk, I killed a Tiger with my StuG III. My HE shells kept disabling his stuff, and his turret couldn't follow me around, even though I had to stop and turn in order to hit him.

And again on Ensk, on a low-tier match with a T-34. Our only heavies, two KV-3s advanced through the left, while most our scouts went out into the open as usual. I stayed to defend along with a couple others, and it payed off. Their lights rushed through the middle with some medium support for a fast cap. Those poor guys couldn't scratch me paint. Killed two Leopards, an A-20 and a T-28. I managed to get Steel Wall and Defender with T-34. I guess that's what driving an IS feels like.
JointStrikeFighter

General Schatten wrote:that was a mistake... :P
I liked the 3001h :P

Also it turns out I did have the 2nd tiger engine ready to roll
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
General Schatten wrote:that was a mistake... :P
I liked the 3001h :P

Also it turns out I did have the 2nd tiger engine ready to roll
I'm not saying it's a bad tank, just that the VK36 is more in line with how the Tiger plays and has more equipment that follows over. :P
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ok, told ya I'd come back and giggle about the 105mm L68 gun for the King Tiger. It's fucking awesome. Better penetration and about 100pts higher base damage over the Tiger's long 88mm. It's fucking huge, at range it's the most accurate gun I've used so far in the game, and up close it flat out crushes shit (Had a match last night where in an IS attempted to get uppity, put a round in his face that dropped him from 100% down to 49%, one of my plt detracked the guy, and my second shot blew the IS apart). With the bigger turret, if you keep the same as before so you either need to plan ahead or have a couple of buddies to cover your flanks. Great for hunkering down behind berms or leading a rush (the Tiger II can take a lot of punishment).
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Hmm no American tank destroyers yet. Pity.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

Damn, this update is going slow. I'm gonna whore a bunch of free XP with my gold so I can blitz to Shermans, so I can die even more than I do already.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The only thing I was looking forward to with American tanks was the chance to drive a Hellcat around. I'm thinking Tier 5/Tier 6 tank destroyer. Made of tinfoil and rocket fuel since it can pull 90 kph compared with the fastest tanks that do 60-65 kph at best are also made of tinfoil but pack very weak guns. I love the idea of getting behind the wheel of a Hellcat being able to go zero to 60 in ten seconds and be 2/3rds of the way across the map before most tanks have set up. Hellcats are responsive because their power/to weight ratio's were outstanding.

But only Sherman's for now. Oh well...

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I had thought the M2 Medium with the 75mm howitzer was going to be just a poor man's PzKpfw III, but it's actually fun it is own right, since it's put against tier 2 and 3 tanks more regularly than the Panzer is. I think I'm going to keep it so I can have two 75mm stub gun tanks to dick around in.

Also, I find it funny that there's Tier 10 US tanks out on the first day. I guess some people had a lot of free EXP stored up.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

The M3 is actually a ridiculous little sniper tank. We had matches tonight where three of us were taking on much bigger shit than ourselves and winning

In one case, our tier three/four tanks carried a tier seven match. They seriously are the little tanks that can.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994