Skyline Trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Re: Skyline Trailer

Post by Companion Cube »

Finally, the sequel to District 9!

Watching the trailer, I notice they show an alien ship getting shot down. It'd be strange to show parts of the final "humans win" scene in a trailer, so hopefully that's an early success or surprise attack before it becomes obvious that the humans are going to lose. That would tie in with the Stephen Hawking stuff they quoted in the first trailer.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's sad that all aliens and even alien glowy special effects now look the same.

I even prefer the monolithic 70s/80s aliens to the pointly transforming aliens now.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Wait, what? Where did you get that from?
At several points throughout the second trailer you see people staring at the blue lights, their eyes going all varicose and nasty, and them being pulled away.

There's even a line of dialogue from one of the characters saying "When you look at it it's when it takes hold" over a sequence of a hot chick looking at the light and her eyes going wrong.

So I guess the blue lights are lures that enable the magic'o'psychic tractor beam to lock on or something. Turns out the aliens are just weekend fishermen stumbling upon a new pond.

This also means that the movie will mix elements of alien invasion movies, ID4 style, with elements of "don't look" horror flics, The Ring style.
unsigned
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Hmm, biotech up the wazoo, aliens turning humans into alien-biotech...? Could this be like some kind of bio-von Neumann scenario? Self-replicating machinery using biomass?
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

So, its the Scrin meets the Collectors with mindfucking light beams and giant vacuums.

....looks interesting.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

VT-16 wrote:Hmm, biotech up the wazoo, aliens turning humans into alien-biotech...? Could this be like some kind of bio-von Neumann scenario? Self-replicating machinery using biomass?
If that was the case, why not abduct cows or trees? Why focus on the hairless crested savanah apes?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

They need them for batteries computing power. :P
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's pretty funny to watch nerds try to divine an entire plot from a trailer - the peak of lols is when they are outraged when the actual movie doesn't follow their chinese whispers version.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Hey man, idle speculation is fun! :lol:

Maybe they're just collecting us to put on display, Pokémon style.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

The answer is obvious: The ships are the aliens' version of Twitter, gathering followers.
unsigned
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Oskuro wrote:
Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Wait, what? Where did you get that from?
At several points throughout the second trailer you see people staring at the blue lights, their eyes going all varicose and nasty, and them being pulled away.

There's even a line of dialogue from one of the characters saying "When you look at it it's when it takes hold" over a sequence of a hot chick looking at the light and her eyes going wrong.

So I guess the blue lights are lures that enable the magic'o'psychic tractor beam to lock on or something. Turns out the aliens are just weekend fishermen stumbling upon a new pond.

This also means that the movie will mix elements of alien invasion movies, ID4 style, with elements of "don't look" horror flics, The Ring style.
D'oh! Completely forgot to look at the second trailer.

Yeah, definitely reinforces my earlier 'meh' attitude towards it. I know it's only a preview, but it looks like every other damn preview out there. Just substitute Transformers for aliens and you've got virtually the same thing. If I see it in theaters, it will be with friends so I have a backup plan for fun should the movie suck.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

What could make the plot a bit more than the usual aliens are stupid and we arse rape them via plot device, maybe NASA did invent an FTL communication device as Zor and Adam are postulating. Maybe the signal got picked up by the alien's enemies who ride in like the cavalry and save us like in "The Boy who Saved Earth."

At least that would be different from computer virus disables alien technology business.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Either way, those fighter planes in the movie were not F-22s but some other weird stealthy designs.
It looked like drones were being used. If the alien blue beam of control works against direct sight, then a drone would be among the best items to use. The beam is aimed at a regular plane, the pilot sees it, and is under their control. The beam is aimed at a drone, the rough light is transmitted to the control van, and the drone pilot doesn't get controlled.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Zor wrote:
If that was the case, why not abduct cows or trees? Why focus on the hairless crested savanah apes?

Zor
Because if they don't, the hairless apes will hurl nuclear missiles at them and totally fuck up their bar-b-que?

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Is it me or was that a Star Spawn of Cthulhu menacing the main characters for a while there?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Are they even checking out radio waves? Is there some intrinsic physical property of alienium that dictates that all objects constructed of it must be constantly looking for life by searching for radio transmissions? It's what SETI did, but there's pretty obviously nobody actively making themselves know like that in our neighborhood. Maybe the Aliens SPACE SETI lost all their funding due to the financial crisis or something.
Or they could be avoiding drawing attention to themselves because of, you know, the killer space aliens hurling relativistic kill vehicles around and launching nukes at everything they find due to some xenophobia or some shit. And we're the only ones dumb/ignorant enough to yell, "hey, over here!" while everyone else is trying to slip under the radar.

Oh hey, we got attacked by the first aliens that noticed us. :P
Your ad here.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Looks like an X-45 and a bunch of MQ-9 Reapers. That plane at 1:34 is definitely not an F-22.

Anyways, I like the "benevolent aliens come to save us and wreck their shit" theory. Of course, now we owe them and their price is a 10% harvest of all humans every 20 years or something.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Hawkwings wrote:Looks like an X-45 and a bunch of MQ-9 Reapers. That plane at 1:34 is definitely not an F-22.

Anyways, I like the "benevolent aliens come to save us and wreck their shit" theory. Of course, now we owe them and their price is a 10% harvest of all humans every 20 years or something.
Couldn't it just be superman?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Oskuro wrote:Turns out the aliens are just weekend fishermen stumbling upon a new pond.
Skyline is actually just a sci-fi remake of Jaws, with the humans playing the part of the shark.

Don't you get it? We're the monsters! All along, we were the monsters!

I'm actually pretty looking forward to this. Doesn't seem like it's going to be anything super-original aside from maybe the abduction stuff, but it's been a while since there's been a big old-fashioned alien invasion movie.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Other theory: the "message" mentioned in the trailer is not what brought in invading aliens here. The "message" is sent out after the invasion, after we destroy and salvage one of their ships, and discover that they have powerful enemies that we might be able to draw here to help us. Our plucky techie-type hero reverse-engineers the thing, sends out a message, then barely escapes as the aliens detect the transmission. Then, a couple days later, the cavalry show up and blow the shit out of the invaders.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Hawkwings wrote:Other theory: the "message" mentioned in the trailer is not what brought in invading aliens here. The "message" is sent out after the invasion, after we destroy and salvage one of their ships, and discover that they have powerful enemies that we might be able to draw here to help us. Our plucky techie-type hero reverse-engineers the thing, sends out a message, then barely escapes as the aliens detect the transmission. Then, a couple days later, the cavalry show up and blow the shit out of the invaders.
Hey I posted that theory 5 days before you did. :D

Well its screening in Australia now, however I think I will wait and see if my friend wants to see it when I catch up with him. Otherwise I might see it myself if the reviews warrant it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Spoiler
4chan is saying that the aliens are harvesting "a rare protein" in human brains or something. The signal was apparently sent a few months before the events of the film, no mention of stl/ftl.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Meh, I thought it would be something like that. I would prefer it if their motives were just left ambigious though.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

I saw Skyline at 1201am this morning. I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars. I don't know about you, but when I see an alien invasion movie I expect lots of eye candy. This movie took a long time out of its hour and a half to get up to speed. I almost felt like I was watching Cloverfield again (except for the really annoying shaking camera). Some will be surprised by the path this movie takes but the ending and how they got there will disappoint most.
Milites Astrum Exterminans