LAAT vs shuttles

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

LAAT vs shuttles

Post by Raxmei »

The LAAT, or Low-Altitude Assault Transport, are those flying things seen at the battle of Geonosis. They have shields, ball turrets, and missiles.

Shuttle specs vary. Possible features include warp drive, shields, and phasers rated to about 4GW.

Just to save time, you can throw the Federation's entire atmosphere-capable arsenal at the LAAT. This includes, but is not limited to: shuttles, runabouts, the Delta Flyer, hoppers, tac fighters, peregrines, and starships (with reduced capabilities).

What does it take to kill the LAAT?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The onboard Clone Troopers hand weapons could likely down shuttles. The dozen plus 100-kiloton missiles would rape shuttles and fighters. Runabouts would have something of a better chance.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Umm...a shitload of luck on the Fed side and an equal load of incopetence on the part of the clones. Seriously, though, since the LAATs seem to be atmoshpere-bound, I think that any ST ship has an advantage. However, going into space is akin to fleeing, so that advantage is useless. If the LAAT's turrets are somehow taken out, it'll be a straight dogfight, which favors the reflexes and instincts of trained clone troopers. If the turrets are not taken out, the ST ships won't do jack.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

As a Enginner my assesement is that the LAAT wopuld win. It has a better control interface(Joysticks), Weaponry, and is actually designed for operating in an atmosphere. While all Star Fleet shuttle uses a keypad interfacewhich is insane for a dopfight. the LAAT would be on the Feddy's Tail before he can type in the movement command.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Shadow
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadow »

A shuttle could just fire at the LAAT from space. One torpedoe should destroy it.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Shadow wrote:A shuttle could just fire at the LAAT from space. One torpedoe should destroy it.
And how is it suppost to hit it?
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Isolder74 wrote:
Shadow wrote:A shuttle could just fire at the LAAT from space. One torpedoe should destroy it.
And how is it suppost to hit it?
It can't. Trek torps have never shown the ability to hit something with the speeds LAATs show. Also, since clone troopers are the predecessors to stormtroopers, one can assume that their combat skills are equal to stormtroopers. Possibly more so, since they've been raised from birth to fight. As such, since a stormtrooper was able to hit R2-D2 from across the clearing in ROTJ, hitting the large photorps shouldn't be difficult.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hmm, but who says the LAAT's shields won't withstand the torp?
And shuttles carry torps???
Supermod
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Can the feds have an intrepid class starship, that can land, and might be able to destroy an LAAT.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure an Intrepid could take out the LAAT. Still, using a starship against your opponent's air cavalry seems pretty cheap to me. Is there anything you can think of that's a little lighter? A runabout, perhaps?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

no, these are feds remember, they can't hit a barn door at point blank range without a computer :D
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Rathark
Padawan Learner

Re: LAAT vs shuttles

Post by Rathark »

Raxmei wrote:Shuttle specs vary. Possible features include warp drive, shields, and phasers rated to about 4GW.
I recall that even the Galaxy-class cruisers had phaser cannons rated at only 1 GW (reaction with shields and certain types of matter magnify the destructive energy). Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Raxmei wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure an Intrepid could take out the LAAT. Still, using a starship against your opponent's air cavalry seems pretty cheap to me. Is there anything you can think of that's a little lighter? A runabout, perhaps?
The smallest thing that has a realistic prayer is a Defiant firing time fused torpedoes likes there's no tomorrow, cause if they don’t there certainly won't be one for them..

And even then, a couple Space Hinds still could defeat it given the kiloton photon torpedo calculations.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

A 'small phaser bank' is rated at 4.2 GW, according to canon dialog. If we generously assume that this applies to shuttles and not capital ships, this gives us shuttle phaser output. Keep in mind that a 900 MW pulse can blow through the shields of a runabout. Any weapon on a LAAT should be able to destroy any Trek shuttle and a LAAT should be able to absorb the entire weapons loadout of any Trek shuttle-sized vehicle with the possible exception of Runabouts and similarly-sized craft since they carry photon torpedoes.

Why are we comparing an atmospheric troopship to FTL spacecraft?
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Because that's what it takes to beat SW aircraft.
Secularism—since AD 80
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Its always fun to try new approches

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Really now? New approaches.....I've got it! The most gripping battle of all time, full of action, adventure, and a whole lotta destruction.....ready......wait for it........TA DA!

IMPERIAL SPEEDER BIKE VERSUS THE DEFIANT! CAN YOU HANDLE IT! :lol:
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Speeking of Runabouts, what's the isoton rating on those micro-torps they fire? Can't be too large, since they're less then two feet long (I think).
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Negtro-14 contains enough firepower that a 3X5 Box is enough to destroy a shield generator
Just becaue its small does not mean its not dangerous(Then agian its a SW explosive so did I just contradict myself?)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Completely depends on the shuttlecraft in question. 99% of any of the Type-series shuttlecraft will be taken out with ease given the lack of combat purpose. Things get somewhat more interesting with the Type-10 shuttle (Defiant shuttle) because you can spot the phaser arrays on it. The Delta Flyer, Venture, and Runabout are not qualified at Shuttles because they are virtualy self sufficent short ranged space craft.

FYI, at one point Worf was piloting a shuttle that survived at least one direct hit from a photon torpedo. The shields of the shuttles aren't exactly weak, but their combat capability (phasers and combat AI) is questionable.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

A fresh fully functional Runabout (which IIRC are stronger then shuttles) lost its shields and was knocked out of orbit by one 900 megawatt shot. All weapons on a LAAT are superior to that. IIRC a LAAT took one hit from a Genosian fighter, which guns are 1e13 J or about 2 kilotons.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Shadow
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadow »

A Type-9 Shuttle fires a torpedo in "Counterpoint." As for accuracy, the distance is well within torpedo range. The crew appears to be unprotected, so it would not need to hit the LAAT itself.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Well with its shields and all you don't really need all that much protection...

Unless of course you coutn clone trooper armor as protection...
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Shadow wrote:A Type-9 Shuttle fires a torpedo in "Counterpoint." As for accuracy, the distance is well within torpedo range. The crew appears to be unprotected, so it would not need to hit the LAAT itself.

1. target in Range!=able to hit target.
2. Prove the torpedo has enough power.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Shadow
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadow »

1. It doesn't need to be that close.
2. According to the TMs, that torpedo would have a yield of 512 megatons, close to an LTL. Of course, even a kiliton would be enough to penetrate Clonetrooper armor.