Turbo laser Flak burst Vs Photon torpedoes,

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

Turbo laser Flak burst Vs Photon torpedoes,

Post by omegaLancer »

Well which is more effective the Flak burst of turbolasers or a photon torpedoe barrage? My money is on the the explosions produce by a volley of 200 gigaton turbo lasers....
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

omegaLancer wrote:My money is on the the explosions produce by a volley of 200 gigaton turbo lasers....
Naturally....

A better question is can a flak burst hit an incoming photon torpedo, although they didn't seem to have a problem hitting the much faster and more manuverable Millenium Falcon, so I don't see a problem there either.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Obviously a TL flak burst.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

This one's a no-brainer. In terms of dealing damage, of course a HTL flakburst is going to be superior to a photon torpedo... unless you're one of those silly ignorant people who chooses to disregard official evidnece ("It's not REAL Star Wars!" Pshaw).
The Great and Malignant
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

SPOOFE wrote:This one's a no-brainer. In terms of dealing damage, of course a HTL flakburst is going to be superior to a photon torpedo... unless you're one of those silly ignorant people who chooses to disregard official evidnece ("It's not REAL Star Wars!" Pshaw).
Even without the ICS the calculations for a HTL were low to multi gigaton... that's much higher than a photon torpedo.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Of course the flak burst. 200GT flak means 100GT max toward any one target. Going by the TM, photorps only send 32MT max toward any one target. 100GT>32MT.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Of course the flak burst. 200GT flak means 100GT max toward any one target.
...hey, wait a minute...
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Question is how much of that 200 GT is the laser part, and how much is the plasma part. Because if most of it is the laser part, then the flak burst just got a lot weaker.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

What Plasma?

Post by omegaLancer »

there no need for there to be any plasma for a flak burst. It possible that a turbolaser can have it bolt waveform shaped into a soliton like structure.. Such electromagnetic soliton are called light bullet and can design to decay and explode.. Check out the forum in starwar on the nature of turbolasers... So the burst would be pure electromagnetic energy..
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The flak burst is obviously more powerful and strikes a larger area. Of course it is better than a torpedo.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."