World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Zinegata »

Thanas wrote:
Zinegata wrote:How do you envision yourself playing the game? I ask so we can give good advice on what tank class you should eventually go for.

I generally am not good at high speed stuff, because I am going to play on a new laptop with a new keyboard layout and a new mouse. So I'd rather be able to take a few hits and duke it out. Other than that - I definitely want to play the Tiger, the Panther and the Jagdpanzer at some point. Can I go down one thread and then - with the hopefully saved cash - buy a high level TD when I went down the heavy tier? Or do I have to start at a low level one again?
Yes, you can absolutely go down one thread, then use up your saved cash and XP to simply jump-buy your way up another tank line.

Given that you want the Tiger and the Panther though, yes the definitely go Mk II-> Mk III Ausf A-> MK III, like Mr Bean said. Upgrade immediately to the Mk IV if you find the Mk III too speedy for you. Both Mk III and Mk IV are good tanks for mid-level grinding.

Your aim should be to get the Tiger first (costs less XP overall, and makes you competitive for many more matches). Then get the Panther (which costs more XP).

Also, a note on the VK series tanks you can go through before getting the Tiger: You can choose between the VK 3001, and the VK 3601. The former is a speedy tank which branches to both trees, so it can save you some grinding in the long run. But the VK 3601 has more parts that are compatible with the Tiger, and it plays much closer to a Tiger.

Save the Jagpanzer for last, as grinding via TDs alone can be very slow.

Save up money, XP, and creds using your Tiger (and eventually Panther), then skip straight to a Jagdpanzer. The Marder and Hetzer are both generally so bad they are not worth grinding through. Stug is kinda okay, but the Jagdpanzer is really the first goal a TD player aims for.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Guess I'm going to save up for 1 month premium as well. Right after I bought an extra slot for the T-34 with the 57mm gun. God I missed that tank. :P
Much better than the PzIII in my opinion. Sure, it's a bit slower but its gun is so much better.

Regarding German TD's, the PzJG I and Marder II are quite fun and easy to get in to. The Hetzer will suck parts of your soul, but if you grind trough it, the StuG III is pretty fun as well.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Another thing to remember is that the Panther and Tiger use many of the same researchable parts such as the engine and long 88mm. However, the Tiger is much less painful right out of the box. An unupgraded Panther is usually ranked as one of, if not the worst, stock tanks in the game, especially after coming off the glory that is a fully upgraded VKDB. So grind up and max out the Tiger tech tree, then the Panther grind for the least amount of ultra painful grinding.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

wautd wrote:Guess I'm going to save up for 1 month premium as well. Right after I bought an extra slot for the T-34 with the 57mm gun. God I missed that tank. :P
Much better than the PzIII in my opinion. Sure, it's a bit slower but its gun is so much better.

Regarding German TD's, the PzJG I and Marder II are quite fun and easy to get in to. The Hetzer will suck parts of your soul, but if you grind trough it, the StuG III is pretty fun as well.
The PzJG1 is okay, because it's very decent in the matchups it appears in.

The Marder II has a distressing tendency to show up in matches where it couldn't kill anything (at least when I still had a Marder). Not sure if it's better now though.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Christ, the installer for this is a sack of shit. Even after downloading and running it it took about forty minutes puttering around in the background before the goddamn install wizard even appeared.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Okay, just had an insane match:

Out of 30 tanks, around 12 were Tier 10s. IS-7s and Maus galore! And almost everyone else had an IS or a Tiger.

While I was on an Easy 8.

Hilariously, I survived the match. And I managed to capture the enemy base, while all the Mauses and IS-7s were off killing each other in the Lakeville valley.

I ended up commenting "Okay, I am totally NOT getting involved in that pissing match" :D
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Yeah had a similar match up recently involving my little M5 stuart against 2 Maus and an IS7 with 4 IS7s as backup. We lost big time because every single one of their mediums wolf packed in one direction while our pansy IS7's tried to play hide and shoot while out numbering the opposition 2 to 1. I honestly tried to go base, but one of the Maus' fucking tracked me with a missed shot on an IS7. God even slinging HE at the Maus using the snub 76 I dealt almost nothing to him, which is more than the IS7 can say because at least I knocked 2 crewmen out with the dozen shells I threw before he decided to nuke me.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

In the last match I used my M3 Lee in I managed to get 6 kills, mostly from side shots from a spot in the city while a bunch of TD's rushed mid on Lakeville, also managed to heavily damage one more TD and deal 27% damage to a KV before dying just short of medal. Then I saw a T1 lose to a T-28 and when I comment they claimed my kills must just be luck. :roll:
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Fuck I have never seen let alone got six kills. Though speaking of luck, I managed to miss a KV and hit a random hummel.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Zinegata wrote:
wautd wrote:Guess I'm going to save up for 1 month premium as well. Right after I bought an extra slot for the T-34 with the 57mm gun. God I missed that tank. :P

The Marder II has a distressing tendency to show up in matches where it couldn't kill anything (at least when I still had a Marder). Not sure if it's better now though.
Hmm, while its armor is nonexistant, at least the Marder II can hurt the best tanks its pitted against (tier 4 - 5). Much unlike the Hetzer.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

The Marder just wrecks things when it gets into the top half of a game and lower half you can still nail A-20's and stuff while being fast enough to leave when heavies show.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I never thought the Hetzer was particularly undergunned as TDs go, myself. The issue I had grinding through it was the underpowered engine that made any slope unclimbable. Then again I came to the Hetzer through the Czech tanks, so I had no real experience with the other TDs before I tried it.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I'm tempted to try the Marder again given all the comments regarding the improved matchups. Before, I often found myself facing all-heavies :P.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I never thought the Hetzer was particularly undergunned as TDs go, myself. The issue I had grinding through it was the underpowered engine that made any slope unclimbable. Then again I came to the Hetzer through the Czech tanks, so I had no real experience with the other TDs before I tried it.
Well next to being slow as hell, it also has a tiny firing arc. In other words, your shells will bounce of the slow, heavy tanks while you won't be able to hit the speedy tanks that could theoretically hurt.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Woot, soft wipe incoming in mid-December or so.
Newsletter

Some of the frequent questions and things to come.

1) US Heavy Tier 7-10 Adjustments. Weapon Changes (120mm_Gun_T53: aiming time 3.0->2.4, increased accuracy during movement and turret traverse.
155mm_Gun_T7: aiming time 3.0->2.7, increased accuracy during movement and turret traverse.) Armor Adjustments (T29, Т30, Т32, Т34: fixed error with discrepancy between displayed and actual armor of the hull. Actual armor decreased by 20%) Other Adjustments in testing.

2) Light Tanks, There are improvements coming for Scouts. A few examples full list to come. (BT-2: decreased visibility in movement, by 6% reduced influence of movement and turning on dispersion.
BT-7: decreased visibility during movement and rest, improved passability on medium grounds, by 4% reduced influence of movement and turning on dispersion, view range of the top turret increased by 15 meters.)

3) Medium Tanks, There are improvements coming for Medium Tanks. A few examples full list to come. (PzIII: reduced visibility during movement, by 5% reduced influence of movement and turns on dispersion. Pz III/IV: 5% improvement pass-ability on medium grounds, 8% decreased reduced influence of movement and turns on dispersion. Т-43: by 9% reduced influence of movement and turning on dispersion. Т-44: by 5% reduced influence of movement and turning on dispersion.)

4) New Maps, We should see 2 new maps Early/Mid December, One Desert Map, One City Map.

5) Tier 9 Medium Tanks, US, German, and Russian Tier 9 Mediums. Current time frame end of December/Early January. See "Pictures of the Week" for a sneak peak.

6) Coming Patch Times, Patch 0.6.2 (2 new Maps, Team Mode "15vs15" and Match Making Re-balancing) Early/Mid December, Patch 0.6.3 (New Vehicles Tier 9 Mediums possibly more tanks)

7) US Tech Tree, Adjustments to US Tech Tree. 105mm Howitzers will be available for M6, T1 Heavy, M4A3E8 (Easy 8).

8) Clans, In game Clan formation, 100 members, Clan creation will have a small one time gold cost. Subject to change Date coming soon.

9) EU Server Cluster, Server up Early/Mid December.

10) Soft Wipe, We should see a soft wipe with the EU server coming online.

I hope we see some research numbers on the Tier nine mediums soonish so I know how much to save for the Panther 2 and T-54. With the soft wipe I figure I'll drop the German TD line completely (about 50k from the last gun in the Ferdie) and use it to skip the KV grind to hop right into an IS or even IS-3. That should leave me with enough unused xp to research the new German and Russian mediums when they get released. Glad to see that the devs understand that lights and mediums need some help since the last patch removed the tank warp problem (good thing) making them easy, easy to detrack and kill (not so good thing).
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Bloody hell I'm awful at this. Been playing the past couple of days and I've managed to survive till the end of a match exactly once. Most kills I've got in a single game is two.

Still pretty fun though.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Broken wrote:3) Medium Tanks, There are improvements coming for Medium Tanks. A few examples full list to come. (PzIII: reduced visibility during movement, by 5% reduced influence of movement and turns on dispersion.
The Devs are idiots, anyone who has played it can attest that the Pz.III is a light tank in all but name, the only thing it has going for it is it's movement and sight radius.
8) Clans, In game Clan formation, 100 members, Clan creation will have a small one time gold cost. Subject to change Date coming soon.
'Bout damn time.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I was reading the medium tank changes as reductions in how inaccurate they are on the move. Letting things that rely on movement hit stuff without stopping might not fix all the issues but it will certainly help them fit their role as mobile attackers.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Signed up as CockneyWeasel.

Had a couple of good rounds, just tootling round in the starting Leichtetraktor. Upgraded the turret and engine. Managed to survive to the end in a couple of rounds by running the hell away when I saw some bigger tanks I couldn't damage. Seems a pretty good game so far.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What is a soft wipe?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Earned XP, credits, tanks, experience, etc. are all wiped to a clean slate on all accounts, but existing accounts are compensated with a proportional amount of gold and free XP. It's done for major updates that seriously overhaul the game, so that everything starts "fresh".
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Ooooh, nice. Easy 8 is getting the 105mm. May be interesting change, as I've grown really fond of the Easy 8.

I should get a few more rounds with my Hummel before the softwipe though.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Another thing, if they do this soft wipe like the last one, DO NOT sell your tanks and stuff before the wipe happens. Selling stuff while in-game yields only 50% of the credits you paid for it. The soft wipe gives you 100% credits for stuff in your hangar. The only thing that gets totally nuked in the soft wipe will be crews (my Panther crew is all 100% on their first secondary skill and something like 40% on their second one) and all the medals they earned. On the other hand, all that XP you tossed down the hole of "speed up crew training" and stuck in elite tanks you don't have the gold to use, that all ends up in a general fund. Before the first soft wipe I was mainly doing German medium tanks, almost to the Tiger (elite 3601) and Panther (fully upgraded VKDB) but lacked the credits to get into new tanks. After the soft wipe I ended up with a fully researched Tiger (could have gone KT, but it was my first heavy and wanted to test it out), elite Panther, and ran down the German TD line almost to the JagdPanther. So after soft wipe, look for lots and lots of Tier 9 and 10 tanks, especially IS-7's and JagdTigers.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Well we have a preliminary look at the french tech tree here. Looks interesting enough to play with all the crosses between the types.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm not sure why they're going all-out with a French tree when British tanks aren't properly implemented yet. Doing British tanks would not only make more sense, but be a lot less work for them -- a lot of the design, stats, and art are already done. Churchill, Valentine, and Matilda are all in, and Sherman variants are easy to do too.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh