Does President Obama deserve to be re-elected?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Does Barack Obama deserve a second term as President? Read the post before voting.

[U.S. Democrat] Yes, he does.
9%
[U.S. Democrat] No, he does not.
27%
[U.S. Citizen] Yes, he does.
5%
[U.S. Citizen] No, he does not.
22%
[Everybody else] Yes, he does.
6%
[Everybody else] No, he does not.
31%

Total votes: 251

ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Re: Does President Obama deserve to be re-elected?

Post by ShadowOfMadness »

I pretty much always vote Democrat.

On his own merits, I wouldn't vote for Obama again.

Given his likely opponents, I might vote for him again.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

American Democrat, voted Obama doesn't deserve it...although I question what it actually means to "deserve" the presidency.

I keep going back and forth on whether to protest-vote against him in the next election. It will likely depend on who the Republican is and if there's a slim chance that my vote could actually matter. Considering the run to the right-wing and book-dumb in the party...well, let's just say that Obama may have damaged the national interest, but probably less severely than a typical Republican, following their ideology, would.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

[non US citizen]
No he doesn't. It takes a pretty bad president to start with such strong support after the election and fuck it up. You can say "Change" all you want, if you don't walk the talk you're either unwilling or a coward.
Mind you, that's not to say I want to see a republitard as the next president. A stinking turd would still be a better option.

Dammit, why don't you guys get a third party system.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

TimothyC wrote:One thing I remember that people liked and Akhlut noted was President Obama's "Oratory" and "Communication" skills. One thing I make a point of doing is listening and reading speeches as opposed to watching them. I do remembering being underwhelmed by what I heard and read. I honestly wonder how much of the aforementioned skills were real and how much were the product of people's imagination.
Note: While I don't dispute your point that a lot of other people think/thought Obama is a good public speaker, I meant "talk the talk" in the sense of "he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?" So, I wrote that to mean something more like "Obama seems to share more idiological positions with me than McCain and he seems to be willing to fight for them," not "Obama is great with oratory." I personally rarely listened to his speeches and mostly tried to read his platforms and so forth and thought he wouldn't fold like a cheap card table anytime he was faced with opposition after the inauguration.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

So we've had almost two hundred people answer the poll, and just under 20% of respondents think President Obama does deserve a second term, but not one poster has posted in his favor, without major caveats that go against the OP. Even if we assume that the usual poll trolls, there should still be some legitimate views out there in his favor.

So where are ya'll? Surely you must have something to add/say.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I voted yes as a US citizen. I think he's adequate as far as US presidents go and might be better as a lame duck.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Nope. I used to say this a lot nicer but then I watched his "speech" to the liberals that got him elected, talking about how they were putting ideology over necessity and I just said: you know what dude, fuck you.
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

I'm a Democrat and US citizen and I voted, "yes" on the poll.

Honestly, he's doing better than I thought he would and I think that if you consider the political realities of the US he's doing an adequate job.
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

Real Clear Politics wrote: Former President Bill Clinton gave a statement after his meeting with President Obama about his tax compromise with the Republicans.

However, after his statement, Clinton began to call on and take questions from the press with Obama at his side. Obama leaves promptly after a few moments and said he had to see Michelle, as he was keeping her "waiting."

"I don't want to make her mad, please go," Clinton told Obama.
Sometimes that whole presidency and leadership thing can be such an inconvenience.

There is a video at the link and I can't think of a better example for a comparison/contrast of two Presidents.
Happily married gay couples with closets full of assault weapons. That's my vision for America
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Straha wrote:So where are ya'll? Surely you must have something to add/say.
Nothing that would gain much traction in N&P beyond pages of incoherent screeching. But what the hey, I'll bite:

Voted yes as Democrat (with the caveat that I think it's a poor choice of words; "deserve" doesn't really carry the appropriate connotation; and that I do not generally consider myself much of a Democrat, although I am currently registered as one for primary election purposes).

I think it's pretty darn simple. Is Obama a perfect president? Certainly not. Do I agree with all of his policy decisions and leadership choices? Certainly not. Has he "lived up to the hype"? Certainly not.

But I question those who bought the hype in the first place. Most of the backlash against Obama seems to stem from two sources: People who bought the rhetoric of a politician hook, line, and sinker and are now mad because they got burned, and a deplorable and frankly pathetic acceptance of (to be fair, very insidious and very pervasive) right-wing propaganda. The right wing has flung so much shit in the past two years that not only has some stuck, but just about everything in sight is now coated in a thin film of excrement. It's impossible to escape, and Obama and his former supporters are the victims. It's become "popular" to get the Obama-hate on, just like it was "popular" to like him when he was on the campaign trail. It's herd mentality at its finest. The stampede is going full-strength against Obama right now, and it's hard to fight the current.

At the end of the day, I don't give a shit what the "conservatives" say, or what the progressives say, or even what Jon Stewart says. Whatever specific policies and decisions of Obama's I disagree with (and there are quite a few, to be sure), he is performing the duties of the Presidency adequately, no more, no less. If by chance a better candidate comes along in 2012, I will eagerly vote for said candidate, but I highly doubt that eventuality and until someone better comes along, Obama has my vote.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Maj
Youngling

Post by Maj »

I voted yes (US citizen). I think he will make a better lame duck president, and I'm curious to know - if he decides not to run for a second term - what free license that will give him in office. Also, he's seriously helped with foreign relations.

Obama has seemed to me to be like a child going through a rite of passage: he had all these idealistic goals that he learned the truth about after his election, and he had to backpedal on them. He got the secret information that makes the simple "Do X" a lot more complicated than he thought.

He also has Republicans actively working against him. Through their stalling efforts in Congress, the media, and the tea baggers, their stated goal is to make Obama a one term president. One example of this is the stimulus... Somehow, in a lot of people's minds, TARP became Obama's deal, despite the fact that it was actually Bush's. TARP and ARRA are now frequently lumped together and blamed on Obama. Add to all this the completely lousy recession, and I don't think there's any way that he can keep his head above water.

More than anything, though, Obama's presidency has really made me wonder what power the President actually has.

People expected him to do better on health care. How? How is he supposed to get unemployment passed? How does he close Gitmo? How does he repeal DADT? Fixing the economy... How?

America doesn't have a king. Or a benevolent dictator. It has a President and a Legislature. What does that mean? And if the legislature decides to quit doing their job, what recourse does the president have?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Part of the problem is that he's actively declined to use the powers of his office in ways he could (like brute-force ordering the military to stop discriminating against gays; "Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces" has to count for something...) And he's actively used it in ways that undermine the effort to stop Republicans from doing exactly what they'd do anyway if they were in the majority- as on the recent affair with the tax cuts, where Obama has proclaimed a compromise that leaves congressional Dems swinging in the breeze while giving the Republicans everything they want in the short term and strengthening their position in the long term.

I think the bare minimum standard for any politician is "prevents his opposition from doing what they would do if elected, because he was elected, not them." I'm not convinced that Obama passes that standard; if he does, it's by a narrow margin.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Part of the problem is that he's actively declined to use the powers of his office in ways he could (like brute-force ordering the military to stop discriminating against gays; "Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces" has to count for something...) And he's actively used it in ways that undermine the effort to stop Republicans from doing exactly what they'd do anyway if they were in the majority- as on the recent affair with the tax cuts, where Obama has proclaimed a compromise that leaves congressional Dems swinging in the breeze while giving the Republicans everything they want in the short term and strengthening their position in the long term.

I think the bare minimum standard for any politician is "prevents his opposition from doing what they would do if elected, because he was elected, not them." I'm not convinced that Obama passes that standard; if he does, it's by a narrow margin.

I think both among Obama and many, many on the left there's a reluctance, born out of what happened during the Bush years, to never use the executive powers of the presidency in such a way that reeks of what Bush and his legal cronies (Yoo, Addington, etc) thought. I think that attitude has extended to Congress, where, well, its all supposed to be conciliatory hugs and kisses I guess.

And yes, I think that attitude is too extreme. At some point Obama and the Dems (sounds like a half assed band) need to start being more aggressive.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Cecelia5578 wrote: I think both among Obama and many, many on the left there's a reluctance, born out of what happened during the Bush years, to never use the executive powers of the presidency in such a way that reeks of what Bush and his legal cronies (Yoo, Addington, etc) thought. I think that attitude has extended to Congress, where, well, its all supposed to be conciliatory hugs and kisses I guess.

And yes, I think that attitude is too extreme. At some point Obama and the Dems (sounds like a half assed band) need to start being more aggressive.
:lol:
Like how he has stopped Bush era abuses like torture because they expanded the power of the president too much?
How does he close Gitmo?
Ask the attorney general to bring them to trial. I'm not seeing how it is difficult to use presidential power to end things previous presidents used their power to start.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

He'll be renominated easily.

85+% approval ratings amongst Black voters, who are a major bloc in the modern Democrat party, will do that.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

If the Dems don't back "their man in the arena", they look like a party that is self-contradictory and working at cross-purposes to itself. In other words, like Democrats normally work, except that it'll be out in the open for all to see.

And if people see the Democratic Party miring in civil war, it'll be Go-Go-Gadget President Palin!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Maj
Youngling

Post by Maj »

You guys don't think the Dems will go for Hillary next time around?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Maj wrote:You guys don't think the Dems will go for Hillary next time around?
Since Hillary's explicitly said that this is her last job in public office, no.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Puh-leaze, as if their/her statements mean anything. You know how people always go "oh no, I'm not considering a run at the Presidency, naaaah" and then suddenly they jump in and everything. So just because Hillery said she isn't, doesn't mean she is isn't.

An awesome answer for the thread OP question would be to quote Clint Eastwood from Unforgiven.

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

"I'll see you in hell, Barack Obama."

"Yeah."
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Maj wrote:He also has Republicans actively working against him. Through their stalling efforts in Congress, the media, and the tea baggers, their stated goal is to make Obama a one term president. One example of this is the stimulus... Somehow, in a lot of people's minds, TARP became Obama's deal, despite the fact that it was actually Bush's. TARP and ARRA are now frequently lumped together and blamed on Obama. Add to all this the completely lousy recession, and I don't think there's any way that he can keep his head above water.
Then the man should be putting his legendary voice to work excoriating them in the media. That, alone, would make me a lot happier; if everything else had happened but that Obama had been slugging it out, fighting the good fight, calling spades spades and naming names, loudly and without hesitation calling out every single Republican piece of propaganda bullshit, slamming them from the podium with the PotUS logo behind him, I would approve of him enough to say he'd deserve to be re-elected.

The fact is that I can forgive a President who's trying but who keeps getting cockblocked by the massive amount of obstructionist pork on the south-bound end of a north-facing Congress. He needs to make it into their fault, to fire up the campaign-trail rhetoric again, to call them out loudly and often every single time they pull something like this.

He tried Compromise(tm) and they bit the hand he extended? Get up there and name names and call out the biters. Healthcare Reform(tm)? Name names, call out the people trying to turn genuine healthcare reform into fellatio for Kaiser Permanente. The Gulf oil spill disaster? That one was worse, because we did see Campaign Trail Obama for a moment, when he promised that he'd be kicking ass - HIS WORDS* - as soon as the investigators passed on the names of the asses that needed to be kicked, but then that promise vanished under a sea of crude.

*I think that's one of the biggest let-downs. I guess the investigators determined that the ass to be kicked was too rich or powerful or maybe had a title like "Sir" attached to it and the ass was too high out of his reach for political reasons, which is bullshit; pure and utter bullshit.

More than anything, though, Obama's presidency has really made me wonder what power the President actually has.
More than he has exercised, and some that he should not have exercised that he did.
People expected him to do better on health care. How?
Lambasting the obstructionist pigs in the media constantly. Every time they bullshit, he gets up on a podium and frankly tells the American people, "You know, I want to get this healthcare passed, and I'm trying to get it passed, but it's being stalled because the Republicans keep threatening to filibuster - they want to filibuster YOUR health to line the pockets of the wealthy!"
How is he supposed to get unemployment passed?
Get on the podium an hammer the Republicans in Congress. "They're not unemployed. Nobody they love, nobody they know personally, is unemployed, so they don't care about unemployment. What they are is wealthy, and everybody they love is wealthy! That's why they're blocking your unemployment benefits in these hard, hard times; so they can extort tax cuts for people like themselves, and they're holding your unemployment insurance hostage. That ain't right!"
How does he close Gitmo?
He is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the direct boss of the Attorney General. Tell the A.G. that Gitmo is closing in 90 days come hell or high water, and he has 90 days to find non-torture based allegations to charge them with in Federal court or an aggrieved State court of competent jurisdiction and willingness to take the case or else they're getting released back where they caught.
How does he repeal DADT?
To the Joint Chiefs: "I am the President of the United States of America, the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the Goddamned Batman. Henceforth and forever no soldier of this nation is to be discriminated against - in any way, shape, or form, for being homosexual or bisexual. You make this known, and you make examples of the next hundred people to discriminate against our loyal soldiers who happen to be homosexual or bisexual, and I don't care if they're a Private or a General. I'm not talking big chicken dinners, I want them in Leavenworth. Make it happen, or I'll find Joint Chiefs who will."
Fixing the economy... How?
He can't wave a wand and fix the economy, and that's the one thing I don't really hold against him. What he can do is loudly and repeatedly make it known that this is the Republican Economy. It's the Economy that the Republicans voted for the conditions to create, it's the Republican Recession. Brand their bacon with their own deeds and let the American people judge.

Instead, he's ceded control of the branding iron to those very people - is it any surprise it's his own ass that's gotten seared?
America doesn't have a king. Or a benevolent dictator. It has a President and a Legislature. What does that mean? And if the legislature decides to quit doing their job, what recourse does the president have?
He has the recourse of incinerating them in the media. At the very least, that's what I expected from the President of Change(tm). And he could have gone and pulled the same trick the Republicans used to turn the media into neocons - cutting off access to the White House if the media outlet was insufficiently liberal.

But he didn't. He's displayed neither the ruthlessness in dealing with his enemies that we wanted and hoped for from a Chicago man, nor has he demonstrated the Change(tm) he promised. At the very least, he should have his face on the news all the time, pounding the obstructionist pigs flat, calling spades spades, and if need be personally whipping Democrats into line. We've got none of it.

There are problems outside the easy control of the President. It's not so easy to just wave your hands and pull out of a stuck-in quagmire, I get that. If you try, you'll be blatantly retreating and the other guys will hammer your men all the way to the border. But many things are within his powers, and he has not done them.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The problem with repealing DADT by Executive Order is that the next President simply ignores it, since it isn't his order. It needs to go through Congress so it actually becomes law.

That said, Obama doesn't get out and offer any sort of rhetorical fire support for policies he wants-- he makes a proclamation from the Oval Office, a Democratic Congressman drafts a bill, and then Obama just watches as the bill is fought over, saying nothing-- until the bill is defeated, at which point he comes out all angry and scolds ordinary Democrats for not seeing his "bipartisanship" as a master stroke and therefore failing to support the bill.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Coyote wrote: That said, Obama doesn't get out and offer any sort of rhetorical fire support for policies he wants-- he makes a proclamation from the Oval Office, a Democratic Congressman drafts a bill, and then Obama just watches as the bill is fought over, saying nothing-- until the bill is defeated, at which point he comes out all angry and scolds ordinary Democrats for not seeing his "bipartisanship" as a master stroke and therefore failing to support the bill.
Pretty much this, this is how I view how he works and it pissed me off.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

As an American Democrat, I can't say he deserves a second term right now. As others have mentioned, the only time Obama seems to have any fire in his words is when he is bashing his fellow Democrats or pushing away the people who got him elected. The Modus Operandi seems to be to make one statement/speech followed by silence then preemptively give the Republicans what they were demanding before the negotiations even start. Given the way Congress works right now, that doesn't even have the benefit of being a fast way to surrender.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Coyote wrote:The problem with repealing DADT by Executive Order is that the next President simply ignores it, since it isn't his order. It needs to go through Congress so it actually becomes law.

That said, Obama doesn't get out and offer any sort of rhetorical fire support for policies he wants-- he makes a proclamation from the Oval Office, a Democratic Congressman drafts a bill, and then Obama just watches as the bill is fought over, saying nothing-- until the bill is defeated, at which point he comes out all angry and scolds ordinary Democrats for not seeing his "bipartisanship" as a master stroke and therefore failing to support the bill.

Or the courts could strike it down. Its funny just how ingrained conservative motions of jurisprudence have become ingrained among many center and center left politicians/pundits here in the US. Judicial review is wrong! Social change can't come through the courts! Activist judges!

Its disappointing, because on whether or not DADT should be decided by the courts in general (not the specific question of whether or not Obama should've appealed), many on the left have bought into the tenets of the conservative legal revolution of the past 30 years or so.

gotta appear centrist and reasonable!
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Maj wrote:Also, he's seriously helped with foreign relations.
Uhm, being a foreigner, please tell me how you think he improved foreign relations. At first he had the bonus of not being Bush, but by now most people seem to be disillusioned.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester