14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: The MMA thread (mk1)

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, it's not like any of those fights (short of Scott Smith landing a hail mary punch) had any chance of going either way. I guess Scott Coker doesn't want to risk anything after having Shields, Jacare and Calvacante kill his stars.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:Yeah, it's not like any of those fights (short of Scott Smith landing a hail mary punch) had any chance of going either way. I guess Scott Coker doesn't want to risk anything after having Shields, Jacare and Calvacante kill his stars.
Whose star did Jacare kill off? Shields is obvious, and I think by Calvacante you mean King Mo.

Mindja, Smith did have that real hail-mary chance... maybe Rich Chou picked Paul Daley on the idea that Smith could pull a Koscheck? :P As for Lawler... what do Belfort, Lawler, and the last guy to wreck Lindland at MW all have in common? (To rip off BE, "it rhymes with 'mouth saw'.")

As for the KOs... did you not see Garza vs. Paixao? Mazzagatti did the right thing for once and hurled himself into the victor to save the unconscious from further damage.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Haven't seen any of the fights, except some KOs in gif form, but listened to the Beatdown After The Bell.

I have to say that judges need to be cleared out. All the changes in rules and criteria won't help because it's the fucking judges who are getting it wrong. I'm yet to see a fight that the 10pt Must system couldn't score correctly if the judges just fucking paid attention.

Anyhow - back on the Strikeforce getting boned this year. This card might have slightly made up for it, but Cage Potato is still dead on teh money with this piece: Scott Coker Probably Can't F*cking Wait for 2010 to Be Over.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I just saw this in the comments on BE. It says it all.

Also, another great bit of MMA wiki vandalism:

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

And now you have Garcia claiming that after a rewatching, he thinks he won...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And Keith Kizer saying that there's no problem with judging in MMA.

Though at least in that interview he also put the smack down on Joe Rogan and Dana for blaming NSAC for everything while they happily employ these so-called "problem judges" when they run their events in non AC states/countries.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Though at least in that interview he also put the smack down on Joe Rogan and Dana for blaming NSAC for everything while they happily employ these so-called "problem judges" when they run their events in non AC states/countries.
That's the part I can't figure out at all. How the fuck does Cecil Peoples get to be a judge when the UFC is doing events in Canada, the UK, and Europe? How the hell does that happen? Is there some unwritten rule which states that the blind retard must be one of the judges for every MMA event or something? Someone tell me how the fuck that works.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

How the fuck are they flying up Tony Weekly to judge GSP v Kos when he just made that shitfest of a call on Saturday?

Because Dana likes to have a reason to say: "Don't leave it in the hands of the judges". Because KOs make the UFC more money, because people tune in for that shit.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

And I bet Mazzagatti will be the ref too. On the bright side he might let GSP get a few extra shots in on an unconscious Kos or snap his arm in half. Or choke him out till he flops & twitches like Leben did.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Are you kidding? Mazzagatti has been in form lately. Just look at his body check hit on a guy from the TUF finale.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

A fascinating discussion on another angle to the judging-in-MMA problem: How many of these so-called "better judges" (among the fans) are willing to actually become judges?

(Disclaimer: Luke Thomas was color commentator for Ultimate Warrior Challenge and was there during the infamous UWC 7 bantamweight title fight between Mike Easton and Chase Beebe. Here's the story of one guy's attempt to get licensed as a judge after that fight.)

Oh, speaking of the UFC selling KOs... one BE commenter's Fanpost suggests that the risks associated with being cut from the UFC, as well as the financial difference between winning and losing -- are only going to make the "Ultimate Staring Championship" phenomenon worse... until the UFC starts cutting guys who're unexciting but win.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well I'm in the process of getting my paperwork together to get my judge/cornerman/matchmaker license for Vic. So that's something at least. Even though it's still almost entirely controlled by boxing down here.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Jonathan Snowden wrote:Josh Koscheck prepared for this fight mentally and physically for months. When it is all said and done, he'll have nothing but memories and a badly swollen eye to show for it.
Also, if Joe Rogan didn't already lower his respectability with the Tomas Rios incident, now there's him denigrating the doctor check-up of Koscheck's eye, which I'm told deserved a doctor stoppage as far back as round 3... and Koscheck apparently throwing a kick from nine feet away.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1416/f ... spcopy.jpg

Fitch on the left, Koscheck on the right, I don't think a stoppage was justified. It wasn't until the 5th round that Kos started bleeding out of his eye area. Joe Rogan going "not even the judges can screw this one up" at the end of the fight was pure comedy gold.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Doesn't matter if there's no visible external bleeding, it's all about whether or not Koscheck can even see out of that eye.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

You'd think Koschek would learn to move out of the way of at least some of those jabs. I mean fuck, GSP landed nearly everything he threw all match and KOS never even came close to landing anything solid even when he could still see.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Edward Yee wrote:Doesn't matter if there's no visible external bleeding, it's all about whether or not Koscheck can even see out of that eye.
I don't think the doc or Koscheck would've made it out of the Bell Centre alive if he stopped the fight in the 3rd. Besides, Kos wanted to fight on and it gave us 2 more rounds of Kos getting his face punched in. Everyone is a winner when that douchebag gets his head used as a punching bag.
Norade wrote:You'd think Koschek would learn to move out of the way of at least some of those jabs. I mean fuck, GSP landed nearly everything he threw all match and KOS never even came close to landing anything solid even when he could still see.
The problem for Kos is that GSP's striking is just too good. No other welterweight controls range & timing as well as GSP and it's not something that can be learned overnight, it takes many years of training to get that good. Combine that with his speed and athleticism and it would be a small miracle if Kos did manage to land something solid. This is what happens when you put a basic to intermediate level striker up against an expert, he gets tooled every time.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

aerius wrote:
Norade wrote:You'd think Koschek would learn to move out of the way of at least some of those jabs. I mean fuck, GSP landed nearly everything he threw all match and KOS never even came close to landing anything solid even when he could still see.
The problem for Kos is that GSP's striking is just too good. No other welterweight controls range & timing as well as GSP and it's not something that can be learned overnight, it takes many years of training to get that good. Combine that with his speed and athleticism and it would be a small miracle if Kos did manage to land something solid. This is what happens when you put a basic to intermediate level striker up against an expert, he gets tooled every time.
I don't doubt that most of that was GSP just being dominate as usual, but I didn't expect it to look so effortless. I'd be curious to see the strike numbers and percentages for that fight because GSP seemed well above 75% in landing his shots.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Soooo. Yeah.

Shields is meant to have a chance how?

Who is pumped for that fight? Anyone? Anyone at all?

However, the hints that GSP has been dropping about the middleweight move... SQUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

In even better news, Koscheck got his face broken, GSP really did punch his face in.
weemadando wrote:Soooo. Yeah.
Shields is meant to have a chance how?
Who is pumped for that fight? Anyone? Anyone at all?
Remember the total beating that Shields took in the first round against Hendo? I can't wait to see Shields get beaten that way until he's either TKO'd or the towel's thrown in. It'll be another fight where GSP gets to showcase his standup and that's always fun to watch. Besides, Shields can always try the flying scissor heel hook.

In the other fights, the mount to triangle transition by Bocek was pretty sweet. He got mount then noticed McLovin's arm was trapped in his legs and quickly rolled him over to lock in the triangle.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Norade wrote:I don't doubt that most of that was GSP just being dominate as usual, but I didn't expect it to look so effortless. I'd be curious to see the strike numbers and percentages for that fight because GSP seemed well above 75% in landing his shots.
FightMetric's report is already out

TOTAL STRIKES
* St-Pierre: 136
* Koscheck: 30
SIGNIFICANT STRIKES
* St-Pierre: 110
* Koscheck: 16

They were almost even in credited connecting body strikes (Koscheck 12 to GSP's 11), and GSP had worse-than-usual TD success (albeit FightMetric apparently counts every individual yank, tug or pull as a TD attempt -- hence why Sanchez went 0-for-27 against Penn), but in all other categories it was beyond lopsided, with GSP having ~80% of the offensive output. Effectiveness Scores were 357 GSP to 95 Koscheck.

EDIT: Here's GSP's UFC 124 entrance music.
Last edited by Edward Yee on 2010-12-13 07:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:
In the other fights, the mount to triangle transition by Bocek was pretty sweet. He got mount then noticed McLovin's arm was trapped in his legs and quickly rolled him over to lock in the triangle.
The best statement I heard about htat fight was from Tomas Rios: "Fundamentals wins over being able to bend your leg over your opponents head any day."

Which is true. Turns out that having a really flashy BJJ game is pretty much redundant when your opponent has rock solid fundamentals and can shut you down and then grind into a fantastically tight triangle.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK, so some fun news.

I'm getting involved with a local promotion down in Tassie. I'm still in negotiations, but I approached them about getting some judging experience (as Tasmania has no Boxing/Athletics/Combat Sports commission so I can hop straight in) as I want to get my Judge, Corner and Matchmaker licences in Vic, but they like you to have some experience before they grant them.

Anyhow - it looks like I'll be a judge for a card of theirs early next year. I'm keen to see how the experience is.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll be better than Cecil Peoples.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

weemadando wrote:Anyhow - it looks like I'll be a judge for a card of theirs early next year. I'm keen to see how the experience is.
From what I heard, it's pretty rough. There's no slow-mo replays like Fight-Metric uses to ensure all the hits are scored correctly. You don't have 6 camera men and a director ensuring the best possible view at all times. Depending on where your sitting, you may not even see half the strikes thrown.

This seems to be why a lot of judging seems to come down to who is backing up more, even if the other guy is just bull-dogging and throwing wild, ineffective strikes while moving forward. Basically, if you smile a lot when you get hit, put your arms up and make a "hit me" motion, and/or just swing your arms really hard at empty air: you can eek out decision wins.
At any rate, I'm sure I'll be better than Cecil Peoples.
You could be the first judge to score a 10-10 round, or even a 9-9 in the event neither of the fighters did anything. But you might have to fall on your sword for that one, and that's not a great way to start a career.

At any rate, you'd think Koscheck would have learned at some point to quit dropping his right hand. Every time he even thought about dropping it, there was already a jab in his face. I was hoping the fight would be more competitive, but I had a good idea all of Josh's talk about improving his game was bullshit.

The rest of the fight-card was pretty damn good.