Wiiware/Xbox Arcade/PSN game recommendations.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Wiiware/Xbox Arcade/PSN game recommendations.

Post by Whiplash »

I always had a hard time choosing games to download, or even just talking about them with friends, because I never really know which ones are good. I mean, I noticed World of Goo was well received and a friend recommended it to me, but I honestly didn't care for it (granted I only beat the summer levels). Anyway, being a Wii owner, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations and I figured to include Xbox arcade and psn because maybe some of you with those consoles might be in the same position.

Edit: Oops, meant to put in G&C. Anyone mind doing the switch? My bad. :oops:
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Wiiware/Xbox Arcade/PSN game recommendations.

Post by General Zod »

Try the demos first. Problem solved.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Can't do that on PSN/Wii.

Just sayin'.

/snark.

Let's start a console war.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Super Meat Boy, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Limbo, VVVVVV (PC/Mac), Shadow Complex, Echochrome, Flower. Amongst many others. It really depends on what kind of game you're looking for.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

World of Goo is a great game... with a decent pointer. Wiimote, not so good.

The XBLA games are really hit and miss, I doubt I'd buy any without the demos. Meteos, Shadow Complex and Shank are some of the few I've enjoyed enough to be worth it.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

I had absolutely no issue with World of Goo because of the controls. The thing was so responsive I was wondering if the game incorporated motion plus since I always have mine attached.

Seriously, one little move to G&C, this is getting a little embarrassing.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Deathspank is cool, too. Also, there's Trials HD, Costume Quest, Doritos Dash of Destruction, and Settlers of Cataan.

Oh, Uno is fun if you like dongs.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

There's always digital crack Peggle if all else fails.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Shadow Complex is actually a pretty good Metroid-em-up, and, if you care about this sort of thing, having played it will unlock certain things for you in Gears 3.

Limbo I definitely do not recommend unless it's on sale. It takes like 3 hours to beat the whole thing and it's really only worth playing through once. Worth 5 bucks, maybe. But not 15, which is the normal price.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

General Zod wrote:There's always digital crack Peggle if all else fails.

No. Stay far away from that game if you value your sanity. The awesome is too much for a mere mortal to resist.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

You should definitely look at Geometry Wars. That shit's GORGEOUS.

ed: Also, N+ is a must if you like traditional/soul-crushingly difficult platformers.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I've had, really, a lot of fun with a WiiWare game called Pokémon Rumble, which sounds like a terrible knockoff property, but it's incredibly enjoyable if you can get multiple people together. There used to be a demo on the Wii Shop Channel for free, but I don't know if it's still there.

I don't know if you're averse to Virtual Console games, but in terms of bang for your buck, Gunstar Heroes might be the best purchase I ever made on the Wii.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

I was highly impressed by Pac-Man Championship Edition DX only to find out that it was only availible for Xbox Arcade and PSN. *sigh* Really Namco?
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Gotta go where the money is, Broseph - Face it - there is a reason that Giant Bomb makes fun of Wiiware and DSIware - it's mostly poo and consequently, they don't get the benjamins. No developer worth their salt is going to throw money at an essentially failed distribution platform.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There is nothing lamer than people being offended that developers don't serve their platform; especially when their platform is the most limited one.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Stark wrote:There is nothing lamer than people being offended that developers don't serve their platform; especially when their platform is the most limited one.
People get offended when their platform seems unnecessarily unserved. For example, I'd like to play Limbo, but its an Xbox exclusive, no complaints, maybe microsoft payed them more for it to be an exclusive or some shit. But its given that the Wii has Pac-Man party instead for the 30th anniversary (an actual retail game) I can't help but wonder, was it pushing the hardware that much?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Whiplash wrote:
Stark wrote:There is nothing lamer than people being offended that developers don't serve their platform; especially when their platform is the most limited one.
People get offended when their platform seems unnecessarily unserved. For example, I'd like to play Limbo, but its an Xbox exclusive, no complaints, maybe microsoft payed them more for it to be an exclusive or some shit. But its given that the Wii has Pac-Man party instead for the 30th anniversary (an actual retail game) I can't help but wonder, was it pushing the hardware that much?
The Wii has a pitiful storage capacity of 512mb. They can't even put games like Super Meat Boy on the store because of the space requirements.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There are explanations other than THEY WERE BRIBED, dude. Like... the Wii is a cunt with limited tools and couldn't run Limbo anyway? Do you think SOMEONE CHEATED!! every time a game isn't out on Wii? Talk about denial of reality.

PS, you don't have a right to all games just cause you want them, and nobody is obligated to provide games on your platform. Turns out Wii has no storage, no working memory, shit hardware, a crap delivery system, and Nintendo are assholes.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Stark wrote:There are explanations other than THEY WERE BRIBED, dude. Like... the Wii is a cunt with limited tools and couldn't run Limbo anyway? Do you think SOMEONE CHEATED!! every time a game isn't out on Wii? Talk about denial of reality.
Let's all forget the PS3 exists, that was my main point douche.
PS, you don't have a right to all games just cause you want them, and nobody is obligated to provide games on your platform. Turns out Wii has no storage, no working memory, shit hardware, a crap delivery system, and Nintendo are assholes.
Wasn't saying I have the right. It was just a mild complaint, I'm not going apeshit over it. It seemed like a nice revamp and I wanted to give it try, but then I found out I couldn't. My response was literally, "well that sucks" and then I went on with my life.
General Zod wrote:
Whiplash wrote:
The Wii has a pitiful storage capacity of 512mb. They can't even put games like Super Meat Boy on the store because of the space requirements.
That's why we got the SD cards. Oh well, I see your point though.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Whiplash wrote:That's why we got the SD cards. Oh well, I see your point though.
The only company you have to blame here is Nintendo.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/7321-nint ... evelopers/
Licensed WiiWare developers are limited to releasing one downloadable WiiWare title per month. Additionally, Nintendo is reportedly enforcing a filesize limit on downloadable WiiWare titles; the current maximum is 40MB, but this is not apparently set in stone. The company justifies these measures as a means to prevent the WiiWare market from being flooded with titles from big players in the early running. While we're getting dangerous vibes of Nintendo's 1980s third party publishing policies, the company stresses it wants to create a level playing field for WiiWare partners. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata claimed the initiative is already catching on with developers, so it remains to be seen whether or not third parties stand to have their wings clipped as a result of said restrictions.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Nintendo lays out WiiWare guidelines for developers
Leo Chan - Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:33pm (PST)
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata claimed the initiative is already catching on with developers
Lie much, Iwata-san? :lol:
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Wow, that is kind of douchey on Nintendo's part.

I wast just under the impression that it wasn't that limiting for developers given that some a few games were released on all 3 consoles like MegaMan, Tales of Monkey Island, Sonic 4 and a few others. My mistake.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Whiplash wrote:Wow, that is kind of douchey on Nintendo's part.

I wast just under the impression that it wasn't that limiting for developers given that some a few games were released on all 3 consoles like MegaMan, Tales of Monkey Island, Sonic 4 and a few others. My mistake.
The article is from 2007 so they might have increased some of the limits, but Nintendo likes to keep a tight lockdown on what their third-party developers can do.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I've got Wipeout HD/HD Fury on my PS3, and Marvel vs Capcom 2 and they do the trick. Worms and Deathspank are great too.

A friend of mine works on Hydrophobia but tells you to avoid it like the plague until it's out on PS3 at least, because then they'll have worked out a fuckload of stuff.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

They could work out two fuckloads of stuff and Hydrophobia would still be a pile of shit. Never ever buy it.