World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Tolya »

Vanas wrote:Finally out of the bloody Hetzer. I'm liking the StuG quite a lot, even if it does seem to be made of tinfoil. I go scouting in it occasionally, I seem to end up out-running some of the team's mediums. Managed to polish off a Tiger that was looking the wrong way, so at least it does damage.

I also thought I've give arty a try. Man, it's so cheap I feel dirty, but somewhat addictive. Scored two direct fire kills in my last match. If only I could remember which I've got. Wespe? Wespe sounds about right.
Whats wrong with Hetzer? I have never penetrated its armor up front for some reason therefore I always considered it to be quite deadly.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tolya wrote:Whats wrong with Hetzer? I have never penetrated its armor up front for some reason therefore I always considered it to be quite deadly.
Hetzer tends to get matched up in KV/IS matches or worse. I've seen a 15 on 15 match where there are two Hetzers on our side along with myself in my Hummel plus one KV1 and nothing but Tigers, IS3's, Su 152 and Ferd

The only thing the on the map they could have hurt was the two Su-51 artillery pieces that the enemy had, everything else was KV's, Tiger II's and maybe one Panzer IV which the hetzer could hurt.

Part of the problem is how lowly they rate the German 75mm L/43 and L/48 guns. If they were rated correctly you'd be able to engage any tanks not an IS or a Tiger II.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

did the T-34-85 got beefed or did I just get really lucky with it for once?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Tolya wrote:Whats wrong with Hetzer? I have never penetrated its armor up front for some reason therefore I always considered it to be quite deadly.
To expound on Bean's point, it was very rare for my Hetzer not to be the lightest thing on the field. Given that it's also pretty under-powered in terms of the engine, the entire game in the Hetzer pretty much boils down to 'crawl up hill, plink a shot off of the IS's armour and die horribly.'

I *did* manage to kill a Tiger in it, but that was soley through luckily managing to flank it while it was duelling with a KV variant. Two HEs set it on fire and then killed it.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

After beefing up the M4 Sherman a little bit I found it to be an excellent tank. The M1A1 76mm gun is fast firing and quite deadly. Side turret hits killed off many KV's and Tigers. Its also fast and manoverable, with decent armor. The best tank I've had yet. Its really worth the pain that Lee inflicts in its user.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tolya wrote:After beefing up the M4 Sherman a little bit I found it to be an excellent tank. The M1A1 76mm gun is fast firing and quite deadly. Side turret hits killed off many KV's and Tigers. Its also fast and manoverable, with decent armor. The best tank I've had yet. Its really worth the pain that Lee inflicts in its user.
If you love the 76mm, you'll love the 105 which is slow firing but strong enough to snap your fellow mediums in half with two shots and reck even Tier 9 tanks days since it's HE only. It shines on urban fights since you can back up to reload and slamm a KV for 80% damage when he turns the corner to engage you.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Hezter is also less maneuverable than a Hummel.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Mr Bean wrote:
Tolya wrote:After beefing up the M4 Sherman a little bit I found it to be an excellent tank. The M1A1 76mm gun is fast firing and quite deadly. Side turret hits killed off many KV's and Tigers. Its also fast and manoverable, with decent armor. The best tank I've had yet. Its really worth the pain that Lee inflicts in its user.
If you love the 76mm, you'll love the 105 which is slow firing but strong enough to snap your fellow mediums in half with two shots and reck even Tier 9 tanks days since it's HE only. It shines on urban fights since you can back up to reload and slamm a KV for 80% damage when he turns the corner to engage you.
I tried the 105 but I found it is very difficult to use it properly. Its not as accurate, so it is a pain in long distance fights. And in close quarters you better hit something vital in the first shot, or else you will be pounded to death before it reloads.

I prefer the M1A1. Less punch but more fun and its much more versatile. And accurate.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

If you like the 76mm, you really should move up to the Easy 8. Its only real problem is the lack of the 105mm gun, and the occasional match where you're surrounded by Maus.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Im working my way towards the easy 8 right now. Still need about 20.000 xp though.

As a joke, I sincerely hope that devs never implement Ratte tank, which, given the amount of prototypes in the game, can be considered a possibility ;)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tolya wrote:Im working my way towards the easy 8 right now. Still need about 20.000 xp though.

As a joke, I sincerely hope that devs never implement Ratte tank, which, given the amount of prototypes in the game, can be considered a possibility ;)
I would love the Ratte at least as depicted by the Forgotten Hope Secret Weapons Mod

Eight sub turrets of 50mm and 88mm quality and those great 15inch twin battleship guns.

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

TigerKaiser562: So I hear they put a new tank in that's bigger than the Maus. Apparently that Ratte thing the other team has is it.
Rommel69: Whatever. We've got five Maus, how much better could it possibly be.
UberPwnage: Wait... what's that big block on the other side of the map in their spawn?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Well, that was a fun match. Literally went down to the last tank and the last round. Ended with me in my Wespe in the enemy base, hunting their last T34. Neither of us were over 2% health, and there was a hill between us. I saw him and took a guess which way he was going, and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to turn around. I just about managed to fluke my shot and kill him a moment before he fired.

What wasn't helping was team chat of things like 'Oh God, I can't watch...'
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Arty players who can take care of themselves aren't exactly common ;)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

This is why when you get to an arty piece in a tier you're gonna stick with for a while you should really slap a gun rammer on it. You never know when you might end up going direct fire and that little bit of reload speed can be the difference between "Caw, caw, bang, FUCK! I'm dead..." and "Holy fuck, did you guys just see that shit?!"
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zinegata wrote:Arty players who can take care of themselves aren't exactly common ;)
But now there is Panther/Tiger arty, so the number of people who can take care of themselves is going to jump.

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I dunno about the GW Panther/Tiger. They seem to die too easily - like the SU-14.

I think the most survivable SPG is really the Hummel, because of its ability to maneuver (and hence have a chance to get into cover to reload), and it's something the GW Panther/Tiger doesn't have.

Also, bought a Hotchkiss just for fun. The little bastard is a monster.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The GW Panther can move, and moves like a scout tank due to very high Torque and 48 kph top speed. Again the fact Torque is left off of engine descriptions is a issue since lots of tanks like Shermans have top speeds identical to say the T-44. But the T-44 is much more agile because it goes from 0 to 25 kph much faster than the Sherman even if the Sherman tops out at a touch higher speed.

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Hey, Beaner, let me know the next time you're playing and I'll pop on and we'll go rock some faces together.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Hey, Beaner, let me know the next time you're playing and I'll pop on and we'll go rock some faces together.
I tend to play the hour of new-day when gold is added and xp doubling resets.

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Mr Bean wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Hey, Beaner, let me know the next time you're playing and I'll pop on and we'll go rock some faces together.
I tend to play the hour of new-day when gold is added and xp doubling resets.
So change that shit and come play multiple matches with new friends on the internets, dick. Jeezzus, I reach out and say "Hey, guy that was a dick mod, come play with the guy that gave you and the rest of themods hell". Toss me a bone,guy. Hard enough to find SDN peeps to play with. Come play with us, man.

Who knows, you might have fun and make new friends or some shit.

Just Sayin'....
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

By the way, anyone know how the soft wipe is going to look? I've heard they will be refunding XP's.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

A soft wipe means that all tanks are sold off. In return, players get all credit, gold and XP they're spent refunded. If it ever happens, I'll be going full-on into the US medium tree, with whatever leftover XP going to the US heavies.

Last time it happened, there was an explosion of high-tier heavies with almost nothing else. Now that artillery is getting told to rightfully fuck off, and mediums have been buffed enough to be worth a shit, I'm betting this soft wipe will end differently. Although, with the total bullshit that is the IS tree, I expect a lot more IS4's and 7's than before.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Bhaal
Redshirt

Post by Bhaal »

As it is now if the soft-wipe ever does come then there's going to be a hoard of IS-4s and T-54s afterwards as they seem to be the best in their classes by some way at the moment although I think there will be a lot of people going for Americans as their secondary choice. Germans I think are going to be confined just to TDs as most of their other high tier stuff is abysmal compared to the Russians.

Personally though I'm working my way up the Russian trees after getting the German T8s and I should be able to get to the Russian T8s and 9s before the soft-wipe "early next year" to test out which tree plays better for me.
Burn the heretic
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I am trying out the German Hotchkiss premium tank. It is SICK.

A BT-7 rammed me and DIED. The game then gave me the Kamikaze award.