Thousands of Muslims move to protect Christians from attacks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Thousands of Muslims move to protect Christians from attacks

Post by SirNitram »

Link
Egypt’s majority Muslim population stuck to its word Thursday night. What had been a promise of solidarity to the weary Coptic community, was honoured, when thousands of Muslims showed up at Coptic Christmas eve mass services in churches around the country and at candle light vigils held outside.

From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife.

“We either live together, or we die together,” was the sloganeering genius of Mohamed El-Sawy, a Muslim arts tycoon whose cultural centre distributed flyers at churches in Cairo Thursday night, and who has been credited with first floating the “human shield” idea.

Among those shields were movie stars Adel Imam and Yousra, popular preacher Amr Khaled, the two sons of President Hosni Mubarak, and thousands of citizens who have said they consider the attack one on Egypt as a whole.

“This is not about us and them,” said Dalia Mustafa, a student who attended mass at Virgin Mary Church on Maraashly. “We are one. This was an attack on Egypt as a whole, and I am standing with the Copts because the only way things will change in this country is if we come together.”

In the days following the brutal attack on Saints Church in Alexandria, which left 21 dead on New Year’ eve, solidarity between Muslims and Copts has seen an unprecedented peak. Millions of Egyptians changed their Facebook profile pictures to the image of a cross within a crescent – the symbol of an “Egypt for All”. Around the city, banners went up calling for unity, and depicting mosques and churches, crosses and crescents, together as one.

The attack has rocked a nation that is no stranger to acts of terror, against all of Muslims, Jews and Copts. In January of last year, on the eve of Coptic Christmas, a drive-by shooting in the southern town of Nag Hammadi killed eight Copts as they were leaving Church following mass. In 2004 and 2005, bombings in the Red Sea resorts of Taba and Sharm El-Sheikh claimed over 100 lives, and in the late 90’s, Islamic militants executed a series of bombings and massacres that left dozens dead.

This attack though comes after a series of more recent incidents that have left Egyptians feeling left out in the cold by a government meant to protect them.

Last summer, 28-year-old businessman Khaled Said was beaten to death by police, also in Alexandria, causing a local and international uproar. Around his death, there have been numerous other reports of police brutality, random arrests and torture.

Last year was also witness to a brutal parliamentary election process in which the government’s security apparatus and thugs seemed to spiral out of control. The result, aside from injuries and deaths, was a sweeping win by the ruling party thanks to its own carefully-orchestrated campaign that included vote-rigging, corruption and rife brutality. The opposition was essentially annihilated. And just days before the elections, Copts - who make up 10 percent of the population - were once again the subject of persecution, when a government moratorium on construction of a Christian community centre resulted in clashes between police and protestors. Two people were left dead and over 100 were detained, facing sentences of up to life in jail.

The economic woes of a country that favours the rich have only exacerbated the frustration of a population of 80 million whose majority struggle each day to survive. Accounts of thefts, drugs, and violence have surged in recent years, and the chorus of voices of discontent has continued to grow.

The terror attack that struck the country on New Year’s eve is in many ways a final straw – a breaking point, not just for the Coptic community, but for Muslims as well, who too feel marginalized, persecuted, and overlooked, by a government that fails to address their needs. On this Coptic Christmas eve, the solidarity was not just one of religion, but of a desperate and collective plea for a better life and a government with accountability.
Keep this tale in mind the next time you hear a racist fuck calling all Muslims terrorists. May they and their Coptic brothers all find better times.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Thousands of Muslims move to protect Christians from att

Post by LadyTevar »

I fear in my part of America you'd never see a Christian going to a mosque as a human shield, much less thousands of them. :cry:

The Egyptians are right. Terrorism to one is terrorism to all, regardless of religion.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Niz1
Redshirt

Post by Niz1 »

Its not often that the actions of religeous people gives my heart a warm glow, but this certainly does. Bravo and well done to all the people who participated in this, all can learn from this accross the world to look for togetherness rather than divisiveness.
Almost gives one faith in humanity again ;p
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

This is wonderful. The Egyptians involved in this have done something quite admirable and that I never would have expected to ever happen in my lifetime.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Next time I hear someone call the followers of a religion a race, I'm gonna tear my fucking hair out.

That said, this article made me smile. Not too often I see something that reminds me that there are religious people out there of all faiths who aren't psychotic assholes, and actually do care about other people, despite differing beliefs. I've gotta say, today is a day where I've got fewer harsh words to say about religion than usual. :)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I give these Egyptians credit for what they have done, and it certainly brings a bit of joy to hear it.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

IIRC weren't Coptic Christians harassed at the "Ground Zero Mosque" protests because the protesters didn't bother to find out they WERE Christians? These guys seem more serious about their faith than a lot of arch-conservatives.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Kodiak wrote:IIRC weren't Coptic Christians harassed at the "Ground Zero Mosque" protests because the protesters didn't bother to find out they WERE Christians? These guys seem more serious about their faith than a lot of arch-conservatives.
The coptics actually tried to explain that they were Christians and came to protest the mosque with them, but apparently their skin color wasn't light enough.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I applaud those Egyptians. They are real class acts. It's good to read about this in the morning. Bolsters your faith in humanity by a little bit. I hope their country doesn't go down the shitter and turns into Pakistan or some shit.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

:luv:
Maj
Youngling

Post by Maj »

Good for them! This story is awesome.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

+1 to faith in humanity. :luv:
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

General Zod wrote:
Kodiak wrote:IIRC weren't Coptic Christians harassed at the "Ground Zero Mosque" protests because the protesters didn't bother to find out they WERE Christians? These guys seem more serious about their faith than a lot of arch-conservatives.
The coptics actually tried to explain that they were Christians and came to protest the mosque with them, but apparently their skin color wasn't light enough.
And here we see Muslims fighting on their behalf. I wonder if those particular Coptics feel ashame?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Thumbs up for the Egyptians here!

It might be useful to remember this event for whenever someone brings up the "moderate muslims never do anything against the radicals" argument.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

It may just be a +1, but damn thats a nice bit of news to clear up this mornings depression :D
A little bit of hope for the human race huh?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

This is probably going to be the most effective anti-terrorism measure ever (showing the terrorists with courage that most muslims don't want bomb attacks). :mrgreen:

And an awesome display of unity. :luv:
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

There is only one word I can find to describe this:
Awesome. In the true sense of the word.
I will remember this whenever I hear that Muslims are all radical/unwilling to help non-Muslims.
And more importantly, I will remember this whenever I start to think that.

Here's hoping this becomes a trend in Egypt, and that Egypt henceforth becomes a shining example of how different faiths can co-exist.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Unsurprisingly, this is not in any of the Australian newspapers.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

:(

My first thought was "Man, that cancels out the first article."

Then I thought "Wait. What it proves is that Egypt, unlike Pakistan, is not an utter mess."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

someone_else wrote:This is probably going to be the most effective anti-terrorism measure ever
Here's hoping that fundamentalist Muslims don't consider the protesters to be martyrs and bomb churches in future anyway.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Twoyboy wrote:
someone_else wrote:This is probably going to be the most effective anti-terrorism measure ever
Here's hoping that fundamentalist Muslims don't consider the protesters to be martyrs and bomb churches in future anyway.
Not even they are that stupid. It would finally give the regime an excuse to wage total war on fundamentalists with the backing of the outraged Egyptian people.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Twoyboy wrote:
Why the fuck would you wish for continued violence?
XXXI
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Phantasee wrote:
Twoyboy wrote:
Why the fuck would you wish for continued violence?
He wished the opposite.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Yeah, I'm sorry. I forgot the twisting of the word 'martyr' that goes on when it comes to people like this.
XXXI
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Extremists will either convince themselves these people will become martyrs, or are traitors to the faith and deserve to die anyway. If their leaders want violence, there will be violence: the actual bombers and shooters can be convinced to carry out more attacks easily enough.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.