A fundie declares misfortune is God's plan

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

That old quote about God being either callous or impotent comes to mind. If God has the power to stop cruelty and suffering, then his failure to do so is callousness. If he lacks the power, then he is no God. This "free will" excuse is bullshit; it is perfectly possible to allow free will but also punish evildoers and prevent crimes (that is, in fact, precisely what our laws and police systems are designed to do).
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Sektor31
Padawan Learner

Post by Sektor31 »

Neko001 wrote:*cough* No.

Sure, you're all atheists here, and you're gonna bash me for this, but here goes.
[Flame shield on]

What I believe is God basically created the world with random functions every now and them, say volcanoes, earthquakes, etc., and just created Adam and Eve. What goes on after that is completely our fault.
That's deism isn't it? It's a whole lot more believable than a "God" creating everything out of nowhere and decides to intervene in things every now and then.

I have a scenario to propose to you all. What would you do if you were a doctor, just saved a patient in a 5-6 hour operation involving the heart, and the patient says it was God's will he survived?
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

I have a scenario to propose to you all. What would you do if you were a doctor, just saved a patient in a 5-6 hour operation involving the heart, and the patient says it was God's will he survived?
Double the bill.

Gotta love religion, it takes all the critical thinking out of life.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

AdmiralKanos wrote:That old quote about God being either callous or impotent comes to mind. If God has the power to stop cruelty and suffering, then his failure to do so is callousness. If he lacks the power, then he is no God. This "free will" excuse is bullshit; it is perfectly possible to allow free will but also punish evildoers and prevent crimes (that is, in fact, precisely what our laws and police systems are designed to do).
That would be the riddle of Epicurus:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

So that's the full quote. I'll have to commit it to memory.

For the doctor question, why settle for doubling the bill? Triple it. Or, you could accidently slip rat poison into his IV, but that's a little risky.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Darth Yoshi wrote:So that's the full quote. I'll have to commit it to memory.

For the doctor question, why settle for doubling the bill? Triple it. Or, you could accidently slip rat poison into his IV, but that's a little risky.
Triple it if he's Catholic. They believe in a Trinity, so all three gods should have no problem footing the same bill separately.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Neko001
Redshirt

Post by Neko001 »

Doctor matter : double the bill.

AdmiralKanos: There are so many beliefs of what God does/did/did not do/will do, etc. that it would be pointless to back it up. No living person here knows God.
"If you give monkeys nukes, we will soon have Armageddon" - Shakkara
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Neko001 wrote:AdmiralKanos: There are so many beliefs of what God does/did/did not do/will do, etc. that it would be pointless to back it up. No living person here knows God.
Funny how you still claim to know what he's done though. :roll:
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
viperpilot
Redshirt

Post by viperpilot »

maybe he and the ambasador guy should join forces :roll: sick. if there is a god then he's good and bad comes from satan. true that perhaps god can use bad things for the better, but to say that he causes the bad in the first place so that he can do the good, well that's just wrong. fundies. make me sick. :x
the battlestar galactic finally found earth, but the cylons had followed and discovered it as well. the colonials shared their knowledge with earth in return for recruits to fight the cylons. i joined in defence of my planet and am willing to give my life for that cause.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:
Alex Moon wrote:I love it when I hear fundies use this arguement, because it leaves only two options. If everything is a part of God's plan, then God is either incompetent or sadistic. How else would you explain why an all powerful God would create a system where the vast majority of people would suffer for eternity?
The worst is when they throw in omnisience. Then they have to admit that god, despite knowing how everything would progress, created the world in the way it ended up. which means he knew Lucifer would betray him, he knew Adamn and Eve would betray him, he knew he'd create all these people he'd have to kill in the flood, all the people in far-off regions who would live and die without ever hearing about Judaism or Christianity, and the world ends up getting destroyed by Jesus and Satan. So what's the fucking point? Don't they act like we here for god to test us? Why would god create something when he knows the whole miserable, destructive outcome?

Answer: he's a fucking asshole, and he just wants to make stuff to be destroyed. what a spoiled brat. :)
OR: He's Omnisience, but not Precognitive
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Frank_Scenario
Padawan Learner

Post by Frank_Scenario »

Durandal wrote:That would be the riddle of Epicurus:

Isn't that Hume? At least, Alvin Plantiga attributes that quote to Hume in "God, Freedom, and Evil." Anyway, the quote is right.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Frank_Scenario wrote:
Durandal wrote:That would be the riddle of Epicurus:

Isn't that Hume? At least, Alvin Plantiga attributes that quote to Hume in "God, Freedom, and Evil." Anyway, the quote is right.
I think his source was probably http://www.positiveatheism.org

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I'm a bit of a Christian deist, myself. I don't believe God interferes in human affairs, for better or for worse.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

so you're not suppose to commit sin but it is already predetermined that you are going to?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

so you're not suppose to commit sin but it is already predetermined that you are going to?
What? Of course you're not supposed to, but if you can go through life without ever intentionally doing harm to another person, let me know.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

LadyTevar wrote:OR: He's Omnisience, but not Precognitive
Nope. Omniscience means all-knowing. That would also include future knowledge. Or else it wouldn't be knowing everythin now would it.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

What if God knew all possible futures, but did not determine which one was going to occur?

What would that be called?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

HemlockGrey wrote:What if God knew all possible futures, but did not determine which one was going to occur?

A lazy guy with omniscent powers?

Something just came to me: Maybe God does drugs. It would help creationists explain how "intellegently designed" beings have design flaws. Also, it would explain why God doesn't interfere with the universe: He's too wasted to do so. Also, why else do you think he's called "God most high"?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

HemlockGrey wrote:What if God knew all possible futures, but did not determine which one was going to occur?

That would be a form of precognition. Not exactly omnisicience though.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Human.

If you can't see what is exactly going to happen, then you're not God anymore.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Or maybe he just lets humans determine which course history is going to take...?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

HemlockGrey wrote:Or maybe he just lets humans determine which course history is going to take...?
Then that would mean that he didn't know what path they would take, thus not omniscient.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

-shrugs-

I can live with that.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Neko001 wrote:No living person here knows God.
Including you.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I remember my cousin telling me his views on god - the old testament was when he was a teen, needing attention, blowing things up that disagreed with him, then the new testament where he matures and becomes kinder.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna