Congratulations you won the lottery! Now what? (rar)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Re: Congratulations you won the lottery! Now what? (rar)

Post by Akhlut »

salm wrote:I´d like to know why so many people would invest the money to make even more out of it. You´ve allready got more than you and your extended family plus two dozens of friends could ever give out. Do you guys never get enough?
Is there an amount of money where you´d stop? If so, what is it? A billion? 10 Billion? A Trillion?
Well, I only laid out a very barebones plan, but part of the subtext to it is that I would be continually buying undeveloped land and protecting it, and I'd also do things like hire and train security to keep poachers (both animal and lumber) from my land.

Also, to expand a bit more on my plan: I'd want to do something similar to Aly, and privately fund biology (and probably most science) students, giving them grants and scholarships. Even with that stupendous wealth, it wouldn't last forever, whereas if I make suitable investments (probably in green industries and the like), I'd be able to fund those projects well after I cease getting those payments and well after I'm dead.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

salm wrote:I´d like to know why so many people would invest the money to make even more out of it. You´ve allready got more than you and your extended family plus two dozens of friends could ever give out. Do you guys never get enough?
Is there an amount of money where you´d stop? If so, what is it? A billion? 10 Billion? A Trillion?
What makes you think I'd expect to get that money back plus? I could throw money at ventures which could be very useful but are very risky and thus normally wouldn't get the money they'd need. And if I did get more money, heck, more money to spread around to do whatever, like planting a nice pretty forest on top of the burned ruins of my hometown. And it could have trails!

But yeah, you can always do more stuff if you have more money, and there's always more stuff that needs to be done.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Buying off a sufficient number of politicians, industry leaders and other people of power & influence to remake my country in my image doesn't come cheap. For starters I want clean nuclear power for everyone and a full completion of the James Bay hydroelectric project, that's like a $100 billion or so right there and I'll have to spend at least $5-10 billion in bribes to get it done. Then there's the golf course buyout which will also run into the billions. I'm sorry, but remaking the world isn't cheap and that's what I'm going to do after I'm done remaking my country.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:.

2. As is standard you can accept a lump sum of 1/3rd the price after taxes and fees are withheld in the amount of 200 million dollars. Or you can take a twenty year annuity of 30.5 million dollars, after taxes lets say it comes to 20 million a year for simplicity's sake.
Well AFAIK in my country we aren't taxed for lottery winnings. :D
Here in Aus winnings aren't taxed.... and you can't get lottery winnings as annuity either they have to be paid as a lump sum... but as that leaves us with the only option of accepting a cheque for US$610 million equivalent which is about AU$616 million it's win-win I guess.

I'd invest, NOT to make more money but to cover the fact that the tax office will tax me on the "potential earnings" of the $616 million.

Not too worried about the media release of my name... A common name and little public record of me leaves the media with a very short story...

Pay off all debts of mine: $20k *cough* HECS debt *cough*, pad out my parents retirement investments (few hundred thousand), buy a new Pajero and get it kitted out properly instead of my DIY efforts.. I guess that's about $70k

hmmm start investing in local business/industry, hire a PA to keep an eye on everything. Wouldn't take up hedonism though I would no longer have to plan my life around what I could afford and what I cant.

Otherwise just live (extremely comfortably) off investment dividends.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Well, if you think about it, you have one of the factors of production. Not investing it would be irresponsible, considering the good it can do in your community and country.
XXXI
Kyler
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyler »

Most people who win the lottery are broke after 5 years. If you earned just 5% on your investment of $150 mil every year thats 7.5 mil & after taxes probably like 3.75mil, you can still do a lot good for other people still easily take care of your family with that kind of interest.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Kyler wrote: Most people who win the lottery are broke after 5 years.
Do you have any legitimate statistics on that? Because I've heard the opposite. There's a few people here and there who wind up blowing their load pretty quickly and the media likes to inflate those stories, but from what I've heard a number of them become much more conservative about their spending.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kyler
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyler »

General Zod wrote: Do you have any legitimate statistics on that? Because I've heard the opposite. There's a few people here and there who wind up blowing their load pretty quickly and the media likes to inflate those stories, but from what I've heard a number of them become much more conservative about their spending.
It is has been what I have heard ever since I entered the banking business. Though based on your question I did a search on that very question. While I couldn't not find a exact number, the articles I could find varied in the percentage of lottery winners filing for bankruptcy. It varied from 5 to 40% within five years. So the most likely the information I have always been told it probably some type of urban legend of widely exaggerated figures.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Kyler,

I think that's for folks who win the lower end of the scale and end up on reality TV shows in TLC because they made shitty investments and had an artifical sense of being richer then they actually were.

$20 Million a year for 20 years? My big plan, my biggest expenditure, would be to buy a house and some land(conservation easement on said land) on the West side of Front Royal so I'm far enough from DC where I don't have to deal with the bullshit but close enough that I could make day trips there. I'm not going to start any businesses(well, beyond investing through the normal course) or buy a shitload of airplanes or something.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

General Zod wrote:
Kyler wrote: Most people who win the lottery are broke after 5 years.
Do you have any legitimate statistics on that? Because I've heard the opposite. There's a few people here and there who wind up blowing their load pretty quickly and the media likes to inflate those stories, but from what I've heard a number of them become much more conservative about their spending.
I found an article with a statistic saying that one third of all lottery winners end up filing for bankruptcy afterward, plus some stuff about the problems that come with the windfall. Granted, remember that a very large portion of the people who buy lottery tickets do so because they're imbeciles when it comes to money and probably a lot of other things, and if you give a stupid person a lot of money, they continue to be stupid.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Lonestar wrote:Kyler,

I think that's for folks who win the lower end of the scale and end up on reality TV shows in TLC because they made shitty investments and had an artifical sense of being richer then they actually were.
Indeed. For example, if I won, say, a million dollar jackpot and took the lump sum, I'd wind up with what, $450,000? Less? At any rate, after I paid off my house, my wife's car, and my student loan debt, I'd have about $100,000 left, which I would, realistically, spend on needed renovations for my home. So, in the end, I'd have a more comfortable, more valuable house which I would own outright, no debt, but I would not be rich. I could totally see someone getting in financial trouble when winning a smaller jackpot like that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I´d like to know why so many people would invest the money to make even more out of it.
Even if you just leave it in your normal bank account (although I don't think your allowed to have that much money in a normal one in my country) your going to be getting a 1-3% return regardless. What are you planning on doing with it to avoid investment, having it in a huge pile of notes in your house?

On the general theme of buying land I might be interested in stepping in now that my gov is considering selling off our national forests to private companies but I don't think they have released any details on what they are planning yet so an alternative is I buy up some land and donate it to one charity or another as I'm not really interested in being liable for maintenance on a huge area of land.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Well in my case, only a tiny fraction is being used by me. The rest is being invested, only so that the money supply becomes self-sustaining and can be used to make the world a better place. Restoring wetlands is very very costly. Restoring 1 acre of freshwater marsh will cost around 25k. I can get 12 acres out of 3.5% returns on the first year. Exponential growth of that figure over twenty years and then it flattens out and becomes self-sustaining, allowing restoration of 254 acres a year, forever.

Permanent trust funds like that dont die like I will, unless the economy completely collapses, an asteroid hits the earth, or someone embezzles everything.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Personally I just want a nice home in central Manchester, London or New York, with a small recording studio, somewhere to write and draw. I would like to go to nice places and make the connections to those in the media to get my stuff made. I'd attempt to make a difference while I live on the interest. Once it's time to settle down I'd raise a family and probably funnel the money into conservation and animal/child cruelty charities.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Mayabird wrote:Granted, remember that a very large portion of the people who buy lottery tickets do so because they're imbeciles when it comes to money and probably a lot of other things, and if you give a stupid person a lot of money, they continue to be stupid.
Some of the statistics I've seen show that a lot of lottery ticket purchasers have at least some college education (it was from a book, so nothing I can provide an easy link to right now). But I do agree that the people who go bankrupt were probably imbeciles to begin with. I also figure at least some of them might not have been stupid per se, but once they had millions of dollars at their disposal they were just overwhelmed with the money and didn't know what to do with it all.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

What to do with US$200 million...

Yes, I'd go with the lump sum. For a start, you can't be absolutely guaranteed of receiving the annuity down the line, depending upon the state of the lottery corporation, the state, or whether the law changes again and strikes down the lottery in future. Besides, $200 million should be more than sufficient for my needs. As Ellis Peters once said: after you have enough to live on, money is just trash.

Obviously, I find a bank or three to deposit the sum and immediately hire a good attorney and accountant. After eliminating all outstanding expenses for myself and immediate family, I arrange for trust accounts amounting to $20 million to pay myself, my wife, and our mothers, a monthly stipend each. That should at least guarantee income security no matter what else might occur with the jackpot in terms of bad investments or a fit of irresponsibility. I buy a house large enough for us to live in comfortably —don't need a huge mansion on acres of ground— and as green as possible. I get hybrid or electric cars for us to drive —don't need limousines (though maybe I'd allow myself the indulgence of a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner with the 440 V8 and Six Pack option for occasional driving and automechanical pleasure). I'd set up education funds for the kids, and trust funds scheduled to pay out only after they've worked in the real world for at least 25 years after leaving school.

The remaining amount would be subdivided into investments, and reserve funds to finance my various projects and hobbies as well as a decent vacation trip every year. I might invest in a small business like a pub or an art gallery. I would also set up a fund to finance a local community service project of some sort and will a multimillion dollar sum to one or more charities.

All in all, winnings sufficient to live comfortably not opulently would be enough for me. I don't need ostentatious displays of wealth to satisfy my ego and I certainly don't want to blow it all in one go.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I find it interesting, we have had over the years, several similar threads, not sure what it was about this one that made the responses so "serious" but the nature of the responses is exactly what I'd expect from the bored. Sound investments, not letting the money make you go crazy, using it to better society and such.

And as for what to do with it all, Denryle has so far said it best:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Well in my case, only a tiny fraction is being used by me. The rest is being invested, only so that the money supply becomes self-sustaining and can be used to make the world a better place. Restoring wetlands is very very costly. Restoring 1 acre of freshwater marsh will cost around 25k. I can get 12 acres out of 3.5% returns on the first year. Exponential growth of that figure over twenty years and then it flattens out and becomes self-sustaining, allowing restoration of 254 acres a year, forever.

Permanent trust funds like that dont die like I will, unless the economy completely collapses, an asteroid hits the earth, or someone embezzles everything.
When you get into the sums of money we are discussing here, it very quickly gets into the realms of far more then 'smart' people like us would ever use, and into serious question about how best to improve society.

For me, I am more a local person, for some time I have had a list of various groups and organizations I would wish to donate to here in Arizona. Mostly natural parks, and parkland across the state but a lot of downtown buildings as well. There are a LOT of historical buildings in the Phoenix area from the 1920 and 30 that are in dire need of repair. Spending half a mil here and there would well be worth it to preserve history for the state. In the primary Phoenix downtown area there is actually a small block of abandoned buildings from the 30 that I have for a while, fantasized about fixing up. The block has an old grocers store, a Bar, and a small two-story Hotel all from the mid 1930's.

To anyone who knows what’s going on downtown these days in Phoenix, having a small low priced grocers in the area would be a big boon. And there’s always room for another Bar, trust me on this. Also, my brother for a while has entertained thoughts of working a Hostel for people and Phoenix really doesn't have a good one in the downtown area.

One of the other things is dozens of small little places I would like to see 'cleaned up a favorite restaurants of mine, bookstores, small shops, I can think of a lot of places where a simple 10,000 check would really make a difference. As for larger organizations, well in Arizona we've got.

KBAQ and KJZZ the npr stations
Botanical Gardens and Zoos,
ASU, UoA and NAU the local universities. And then some to my old grade schools as well which I have fond memories of.
Again various downtown buildings, there is a "castle" that needs a lot of work and of course lots of money into the local Democratic Party and the local Humanist society.

I mean, even writing checks for 20,000 to many of these organizations is putting barely a dent into my funds. You could easily set something up like a yearly payment to a vast number of organizations and charities.

A great deal of other things I can see being done in the family. Both my Dad and Granddad have business of their owns, they know very well how to run and manage money as well as how to fund organizations. My dad is also a treasure for the Humanist society and I would easily trust him with setting up various trust funds.
My only caveat is that the trust would... Of course... Be called:
"The Crossroads Incorporated Trust" ;)

As for my own personal needs?
As many other have said we have Debt to pay off, Student loans, Mortgage loans and car loans. Once all of that is down and settled, I am buying myself a new car, new computer and new equipment. The main thing I would do is travel.
Scotland, Ireland, Europe, Alaska, Japan. Every year I could spend a good month someplace new and have the time to fully explore and enjoy the places we go. I mean how many people plan a big trip, and end up only having 3 to 5 days of actually seeing the place you visit?

In terms of living, I wouldn't even move out of my condo. It is in a really nice place in Phoenix and is close to the best parts of town :)

I think the only really nutty thing I would do, and this is one of my personal dreams, is buy some land up north, deep in a heavily forested part of the US or maybe even Canada, and build a Personal Castle Yeah it is silly, but with this much money I can have ONE truly opulent item. There is just something about having a fully self-contained remote getaway that appeals to me. It would be good solid stone, but as modern as possible. Solar and wind would provide energy. I could see putting in fuel cells and internal water filter systems. Satellite for Internet access, heating solar as well, etc.

Something else to consider, and I have gone over this with my partner, is that sometimes, for some of us, we might not want to stop working right away. My Partner really really enjoys his job, he has a lot of good friends and working helps keep his OCD in check. Something he formulated a while back was giving a "donation" to his place of work in return for allowing him to continue work but at an easier pace. Basically 'donate' say a Million directly to the job in exchange for employment and a 'paycheck' of like 10,000 a month for the next several years.

Having been unemployed myself for almost two years and only now working again, I can see the value of this as doing "nothing" for a long time is not what its cracked up to be :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I think the only really nutty thing I would do, and this is one of my personal dreams, is buy some land up north, deep in a heavily forested part of the US or maybe even Canada, and build a Personal Castle Yeah it is silly, but with this much money I can have ONE truly opulent item.
Now, I'm impressed. It's insane but I'm impressed nonetheless.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:I think the only really nutty thing I would do, and this is one of my personal dreams, is buy some land up north, deep in a heavily forested part of the US or maybe even Canada, and build a Personal Castle Yeah it is silly, but with this much money I can have ONE truly opulent item.
If I went that way, I'd just get the biggest nuclear bombshelter I could afford, complete with tools, and an AK-47 factory.

And a GECK, can't forget that.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Patrick Degan wrote:
As sensible as we all are with all this money, if there was one thing I'd be silly about it would be that. I mean Its something I;ve thought about for ages.

I made that pic YEARS ago, its pretty crude but its a good layout of what I always thought of for a personal castle. The plan was for a circular outer wall with Eight main towers. Six of the towers would be guest rooms with a bedroom, kitchen and study. The other Two would consist of an indoor pool and indoor garden. The central tower would be my Primary residence with rooms an such, while the upper tower is master bedroom and observation deck :D
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Lots of people decided to build personal castles over the years, you know.

Practically all of them went bankrupt. Do you have any idea how much heating this much space would cost? :D

There was a reason why only the richest of the richest 1% of the population ever owned large castles, and that's because they always were fucking expensive to build and even more expensive to maintain. Little about that has changed: while mechanization of the work involved is a pretty great boon, modern ameninities like heating and power consume those savings really fast.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'd just like to point out that that company's entry-level castle costs about the same as a five-bedroom detached house on a new development in the UK, and looks much nicer and won't fall to bits in a few years.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Kyler
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyler »

If we are talking about splurging on ridiculous items, this would be mine

Yes it is actually for sale in the US.
http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I take the annuity. Then I build a castle, just because this continent doesn't have enough of them. I send myself back to school to tackle whatever degree I feel like, probably one of the hard sciences because I can take the consequences of failure in the event I can't hack it and it would be ever so much more useful if I can. After that, I give several million to charity, favoring education-sponsoring foundations, and set up a college fund for the newborn child of a couple who are good friends of mine but have foolishly determined that their son can damn well work himself through college the same way they did and aren't going to put a dime toward his education themselves.

And then I short-sell American Family Insurance straight into the fucking ground.
PeZook wrote:Lots of people decided to build personal castles over the years, you know.

Practically all of them went bankrupt. Do you have any idea how much heating this much space would cost? :D

There was a reason why only the richest of the richest 1% of the population ever owned large castles, and that's because they always were fucking expensive to build and even more expensive to maintain. Little about that has changed: while mechanization of the work involved is a pretty great boon, modern ameninities like heating and power consume those savings really fast.
Fuck that; I will go wood-burning and exhaust fans all the way. I did it growing up, and I will damn well do it again. Besides, you don't need to heat the whole place. :razz: That, and I would shamelessly charge rent to SCA events, and let me tell you I'd get them. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Annuity sum, without the slightest doubt. It'd be more like 5-15 million dollars per year after taxes here, but that's still more than enough :).
I'd take half of the sum each year and donate it to a worthy charity, specifically those focused on education, research and investment (The "Pc for every child" training and donation program here in Israel for example), but i'd probably just focus on donating to one or two universities here (The Hebrew U for example).
The remaining amount, well i'd take maybe a half million dollars a year for excessive splurging (A massive neverending stream of books, top end gizmos, a new pc and laptop, an electric car, and a 10,000K grant to the ISraeli sci fi society, and a 100,000$ scholarship to the community service program I worked in, amongst other things).
Also A Canon 200-400 L F4 IS Lens (~6,000$), a Nikon D700 + 14-24 2.8 + 24-120 F4, A Olympus E-5 + 14-35 F2.0 + 35-100 F2.0 lens, a phototrip to South America, A safari in Tanzania, Uganda and Botswana, Chile Argentina, Peru, a few weeks in Utah or Beaver Creek Colorado to ski, a full size Dalek model, a first edition set of some of my favourite classics, and the rest into the bank. (And maybe i'd try investing 20-50 thousand dollars a year in the stock market in tech stocks for interest).

That should have me set for life.

The media attention would be horrific, but if asked by friends i'll just deny it, and i'd do the donations anonymously (like I have anyway in the past, albeit with my own money and for nothing like those amounts). Sounds about good :)

Oh, and I might buy a small apartment instead of renting a dorm room, but that would run into the amount allocated for charity.
I'd also like to rent out a glass sub, to go underwater, I know a family friend who helps operate one :D

EDIT: I'd also see about buying up a number of old gaming and animated IPs and properties and hiring their creators and developers. Split them into small teams (less than 16 a team) and give each group 1-2 million dollars to go nuts, in addition to developing sequels to some classics (Monkey Island, the Neverhood, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Megas XLR, Gargoyles, Lucasarts adventure games of all stripes, Invader Zim, etc'). That's more of a long term plan, but shouldn't be hard to do with an investment stream of a few million dollars a year. Managing it and getting the people would be harder.
Assuming that was a success financially, i'd plow the profits back into it.
I'd also like to buy homes over the world - but it'd be easier just to get a hotel room I think. Although buying a castle in Germany (you can get them for Cheap (compared to prime real estate)! I know 2 guys, one with a castle in Germany and the other in Romania (Transylvania). Nice guy, sells a line of anti sun products and coverings), a mountain lodge hut in Colorado, Iceland, Switzerland and Chile would be very very awesome.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.