Response to RedLetterMedia's TPM Review (108 Page PDF)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Re: Response to RedLetterMedia's TPM Review (108 Page PDF)

Post by emersonlakeandbalmer »

Bakustra wrote:
I see that you're too dumb to get metonymy, but I'll take this as though you understood it anyways. Yes, I get lots of sun, unlike your perverse pride in hiding in momma's basement. Yes, getting plenty of sun makes you less obsessive about tiny details in single scenes in movies. Yes, I am a jock, stuffing you into a metaphysical locker of sorts. (PS: "Vitamin D" in this sentence is a metonymous reference to sunlight, you ignorant buffoon).
Bwhahahaha! I get it captain clever. I think everyone on here understood you meant by Vitamin D. I do like the use of the word metonymy, two points for the english major!
Secondly, the scene involves lifting an X-wing. Nobody else lifts anything close to what an X-wing should weigh, unless in Star Wars they make everything out of styrofoam. All other telekinesis is relatively small (compared to the X-wing) metallic objects and individual humans (as well as crushing their necks) which requires less work than moving the X-wing unless they're unreasonably dense too.
Sigh. Sure sure this is all true Jedi's aren't throwing X-Wings around, but once again, IF an item of equal weight to an X-wing was going to fall on someone in ESB and Yoda didn't stop it then your comparison to the super speed would make sense. Of course in AotC Yoda does save Obi-Wan and Anakin by lifting something heavy, so at least Lucas was consistent about that.
Now, normal people don't assume things are unlimited until told otherwise, and we see Yoda look exhausted after lifting the X-wing and Luke strain himself while pulling up his lightsaber in the same movie. But you need an expository conversation to tell you "gee we Jedis can sure get tired sometime, right?".
Ok everyone keeps riding on this one. Sure Jedi's get tired and maybe they don't use the force. That doesn't however mean the force is limited, they don't run out of force juice. And my main point with bringing it up is that Jim loved to point out how much he hated when RLM was hypothesizing about elements in TPM that weren't necessarily laid out and yet he was more than happy to do his own guessing in his rebuttal.
I'm not sure why you hate midichlorians so much, either- oh, it's because the exposition on them was brief and left most of it up to the viewer to interpret. You also hate that there's taxation in space in a universe that specifically draws on history for inspiration, so even if you're a post-scarcity singularitarian whackjob, you should ideally be able to appreciate a universe that isn't supposed to be a "blueprint of the future", but nope, you're dumber than that.
Who doesn't love movies about taxes?
Spoon of Bombadil
Redshirt

Post by Spoon of Bombadil »

Loup Garou wrote:
Secondly, the scene involves lifting an X-wing. Nobody else lifts anything close to what an X-wing should weigh, unless in Star Wars they make everything out of styrofoam. All other telekinesis is relatively small (compared to the X-wing) metallic objects and individual humans (as well as crushing their necks) which requires less work than moving the X-wing unless they're unreasonably dense too.
You completely miss the point of that scene. Yoda was showing Luke that where the force is concerned size is irrelevent.
Now, normal people don't assume things are unlimited until told otherwise, and we see Yoda look exhausted after lifting the X-wing and Luke strain himself while pulling up his lightsaber in the same movie. But you need an expository conversation to tell you "gee we Jedis can sure get tired sometime, right?".
Except that yoda didn't look that exhausted, and even if he was tired by the excercise I'd attribute it to the fact that he's better then 800 years old before "Tie fighter is heavy".
I'm not sure why you hate midichlorians so much, either- oh, it's because the exposition on them was brief and left most of it up to the viewer to interpret.
Personally, I hate it because it transformed the force from being this awe inspiring mystical energy field that a handful of people had the strength of will to interact with to "over abundance of single celled organisms in the blood stream".
You also hate that there's taxation in space in a universe that specifically draws on history for inspiration, so even if you're a post-scarcity singularitarian whackjob
I hate it because it seems like an ill concieved plot that is never properly explained. Like, how are the taxes impacting the trade federation? How is blockading a planet that appears to have no industrial exports nor essential needs (food, water, medicine, clean air, ect.) actually accomplishing anything?
I'm pretty sure what Yoda was trying to prove has nothing to do with what that guy was saying.

The force is still mystical. Midichlorians are only channels to the force. It is only there to explain why only a few people are force sensitive. I myself don't care for midichlorians but it doesn't bother me because all it is is a measurement to how much potential in the force one has.

It can be inferred that Naboo is a resource rich planet. Just look at it. As rich as it gets.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:
Havok wrote:Do you think before you type? What was Obi-Wan doing there again? Standing, being anxious, impatiently waiting for the shields to come down so that he could go attack Maul. What was it again that Qui-Gon was doing? Oh wait, you just said it! MEDITATING. Being calm composing himself. Gee, what should Obi-Wan should have been doing?

Are you really this fucking stupid. Obi-Wan was acting like Maul, and until he composed himself, at the brink of his own death, hanging by his fingernails over a fucking bottomless pit (do I need to explain the symbolism as well?) he was clearly not the Padawan that Qui-Gon had trained him to be.
So Obi couldn't use his force powers because he was anxious and Qui-Gon could because he was meditating. Then shouldn't Qui-Gon have defeated Maul? I mean he was so composed he grabbed a seat and took a nap. And if you really want to get into it we can talk about how dumb it is that Maul just stood there while Obi-Wan jumped over him.
Being composed has nothing to do with the martial skill of either Qui-Gon or Maul. Nice try there though. Maybe one day you will learn how to actually asses an argument and properly respond to it.
As for it being your first thread post, welcome to the thread! The topic is a 108 page rebuttal to an internet review of TPM. I recommend you view both that way when you post something you'll have some basic idea where people are in the conversation. I'll bring you up to date since you're new to this thread and might be lost. I was saying that Raynor "seems to want to protect Phantom Menace so badly you will go to great lengths refute the irrefutable. The fast running is a big deal because it is symptomatic of so much that is wrong with TPM. A bad screenplay that could have easily been fixed." See he defended it by saying Obi-Wan was tired from having just exerted himself, to which I pointed out he was wrong about. This is where you come in, stating he's a padawan. Now, this is my fault, I was under the assumption that you had read the thread leading up to this, but I know you fact throwing gunmen can't always be bothered so I'm filling you in now!
Don't be a fucking douche. oh wait too late. I wouldn't have commented on this thread if I hadn't been reading it since it fucking started. The stupidity just finally got to me and I felt the need to point out something that I thought 6 year olds could figure out, but apparently I was wrong.
You're so feisty. It's adorable. I agree, what you pointed out is right in line with a 6 year old's thought process.
Yup, and you clearly have no grasp of it. Way to go. And clearly, reading comprehension.
Now that you're up to speed (super speed I bet) I assume you agree that the reason he didn't use super speed had nothing to do with being tired and that Raynor's assessment was incorrect.
Nice try with your little appeal to popularity. Whether I agree with Raynor or not has nothing to do with my fucking post you idiot, as once you figure out reading comprehension, you'll notice I didn't comment on one way or the other.

Win your own arguments douche.
Thanks I'm glad you backed up my assessment!
I am going to ask you right now, to show exactly where I agreed with you over Raynor. Now pay attention, because this is the important part, if you do not do so, and continue to lie about this, you are breaking a pretty big fucking rule on this board. Handle it as you see fit. I prefer that you just continue on about as you have. Watching permavirgin nerd ragers go down in flames is always amusing.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Bakustra wrote:
I see that you're too dumb to get metonymy, but I'll take this as though you understood it anyways. Yes, I get lots of sun, unlike your perverse pride in hiding in momma's basement. Yes, getting plenty of sun makes you less obsessive about tiny details in single scenes in movies. Yes, I am a jock, stuffing you into a metaphysical locker of sorts. (PS: "Vitamin D" in this sentence is a metonymous reference to sunlight, you ignorant buffoon).
Bwhahahaha! I get it captain clever. I think everyone on here understood you meant by Vitamin D. I do like the use of the word metonymy, two points for the english major!
That just makes it more disturbing that you tried to use it as an insult, neckbeard-o. But you've just revealed that you're practically an incarnation of the Ugly American stereotype, since you apparently think that people should glorify in the compartmentalization of their knowledge. You'll fit in well here, though, don't worry.

PS: I meant it about coming out of mommy's basement and taking in the fresh air, unless it would make your skin slough right off.
Sigh. Sure sure this is all true Jedi's aren't throwing X-Wings around, but once again, IF an item of equal weight to an X-wing was going to fall on someone in ESB and Yoda didn't stop it then your comparison to the super speed would make sense. Of course in AotC Yoda does save Obi-Wan and Anakin by lifting something heavy, so at least Lucas was consistent about that.
Are you immune to reasoning? The point is that said scene is inconsistent with what we see elsewhere in the OT, and so by your metric, ESB sucks balls through a garden hose (since the writing wasn't too hot either; much of the best dialogue in the OT was improvised or altered on-set). But you insist that there has to be a one-to-one correspondence, rather than reasoning that if size matters not/Jedi can lift X-wings, then Luke and Vader should have been trying to throw each other off the catwalks (and succeeding) rather than lightsaber tomfoolery.
Ok everyone keeps riding on this one. Sure Jedi's get tired and maybe they don't use the force. That doesn't however mean the force is limited, they don't run out of force juice. And my main point with bringing it up is that Jim loved to point out how much he hated when RLM was hypothesizing about elements in TPM that weren't necessarily laid out and yet he was more than happy to do his own guessing in his rebuttal.
People keep riding you on this one because it's so fucking stupid that it colors everything you do. All else you post must take into account that, so you'd have to post some mathematical proofs just to get up to average intelligence in people's (at least mine) evaluations, even if you still didn't keep whining about the god-damn "force juice"! That barely makes sense as a response to something explicitly infinite, let alone something not so.
I'm not sure why you hate midichlorians so much, either- oh, it's because the exposition on them was brief and left most of it up to the viewer to interpret. You also hate that there's taxation in space in a universe that specifically draws on history for inspiration, so even if you're a post-scarcity singularitarian whackjob, you should ideally be able to appreciate a universe that isn't supposed to be a "blueprint of the future", but nope, you're dumber than that.
You come up with glib shit like "space taxes", you get people interpreting your hatred as being more "taxes?! in a movie!? in space?? not on MY WATCH!!" than "taxes are a bad idea for a macguffin in an actiony movie" or even "I think that TPM had poor pacing". Maybe you could try not being a raging buffoon who lashes out, and instead go for this thing they call "articulation". Just a thought.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

ronindave wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:This guy is wrong and longwinded.

:shock: Jimmie boy of all people is calling someone longwinded!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimmie, are you being ironic, hypocritical, or just plain stupid? My money is on the last two!
I've said you were wrong and longwinded, you clown. The way I see it, being right and longwinded is better than being wrong and concise. The worst thing is to be wrong and longwinded.
You and your defenders have been bashing people for just trashing your Opus with just a few words. Now when someone actually spends a a few more words on the subject you accuse them of being longwinded? :lol:
I bashed those previous people for no-substance spam posts. I bash you now for going on and on...without making any actual valid points. If your words actually had any weight behind them, I'd treat you differently.
Jimmy-boy, you are the epitome of internet nerdrage.
Yeah I can see you're just here to troll now.
A lot of people like RLM's reviews because the reviews delve into a lot of what was wrong with the Prequels on different levels from story, character, theme, filming, special effects, collaborations and lack thereof, etc... but the thing is he didn't change a lot of people's opinions, he only reconfirmed them.
I showed quite clearly that the vast majority of the RLM review's points about the movie were completely ignorant and dumb. So if people are convinced by that, then it doesn't speak very highly of themselves.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

nygma619 wrote:Okay I just got done skimming through the seven sections of Raynor's review, and while I think he does make some fair points (while also making ones that just don't really ring true, at least to me), I think he fails to see the larger criticism of the film RLM makes.

That The Phantom Menace fails as a film that didn't really have a story that engaged or characters that quite connected with the audience. Not just as a star wars film, but a film in general.
I've been over this again and again in this thread. If you stick to the safe, subjective position that the prequel characters just didn't engage you, then that's not very objectionable. It also isn't enough material to make a 70, 90, or 2 hour (however long the ROTS one is) movie review.

And if that basic, subjective position was really what Stoklasa was talking about...then why is it a scant few minutes out of 70 in his TPM review? Why is almost all of it stupid, ignorant nitpicking?
He calls Qui-Gon the main character, but ignores how starting a trilogy with a character who dies in its first film is counter productive. He lists attributes about Qui-Gon being a father figure, but doesn't give us any real examples of how this guy is someone we the audience can relate to (Luke Skywalker)
One of the biggest gripes I have with geek fandom in general as I get older (and I'm only in my late twenties) is that they often can't see things unless it's through the lens of their personal plight as a downtrodden or geeky kid. As a strong father figure, Qui-Gon is someone who can be likable for young kids, as well as parents. He's a brave man trying to stand up for what he believes in, even though his bosses keep pressuring him to do otherwise. These are traits that are arguably appealing to grown men and family audiences. The audiences that posturing teenagers think themselves superior to, for no actual reason.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4h3_y7SauA&t=2m26s

Hey look at that. Obi-Wan just hanging out, Qui-Gon sitting on the floor and you don't know what you're talking about.
OK, good point (for once). I hadn't noticed that it was the second time that Obi-Wan was cut off by the shields.

...Not that it matters anyway. As I said several times already, Obi-Wan took a kick in the face and slammed into a hard surface dozens of feet below him. Damage that could kill or cripple a normal human. Would you regard a minute of down time as sufficient enough to fully recover from any hits you take, or energy you expend?

And look at Obi-Wan isn't meditating, while Qui-Gon is. Look at him twirling his lightsaber as he runs in an attempt to rejoin the fight. Maybe, just maybe Obi-Wan's skills and concentration weren't that great? A result of him being a young and headstrong Padawan? Maybe that Force speed (which he and Qui-Gon only sustained for seconds at most) was not something he thought he could pull off right before a big fight with someone more powerful than him?

Who knows or who cares. If this seriously bothered you, then I wonder why you didn't hate it every time Luke didn't use telekinesis to take someone out in ROTJ.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:So Obi couldn't use his force powers because he was anxious and Qui-Gon could because he was meditating. Then shouldn't Qui-Gon have defeated Maul? I mean he was so composed he grabbed a seat and took a nap.
The Jedi rely on concentration and clear thinking when they use the Force. The Sith feed on rage, using their emotions as fuel. Way to show how little you understand the movies.
Luke exhibits enough TK in the beginning of ROTJ to throw a rock across a room. I would think that this same amount of force could hurt people, strip their guns out of their hands (exactly as Vader does in TESB), etc. Yet Luke never uses it while fighting on Jabba's barge, and even gets slowed down when Boba Fett managed to tie him up. Wow what a piece of crap movie.
Ok everyone keeps riding on this one. Sure Jedi's get tired and maybe they don't use the force. That doesn't however mean the force is limited, they don't run out of force juice.
What? The Jedi can get tired and not use the Force...but they never run out of the Force. Your words. That doesn't make sense, and any semantic distinction you want to make between those things is meaningless.
And my main point with bringing it up is that Jim loved to point out how much he hated when RLM was hypothesizing about elements in TPM that weren't necessarily laid out and yet he was more than happy to do his own guessing in his rebuttal.
There is quite a bit of difference between me pointing out that Obi-Wan took hits that could kill a normal man (as well as clearly acting anxious instead of concentrating)...and Stoklasa making wild ass speculation that is completely unsupported by any evidence, or even any reasonable thought process. Stuff like going on and on about how Qui-Gon didn't have sufficient reason to believe that the Trade Fed was invading after the invasion already started, or talking about the Trade Fed being a Republic government agency. That's just far out there, and you'd embarrass yourself if you try to defend that.
This fanboy catchphrase is tiresome. No one I know describes TPM as a movie "about taxes." It was a brief McGuffin reason early in the movie, with some basis in actual history. The movie pretty much went past that by the end of the opening crawl. The only people I see continuously harping on taxes as this major part of the movie are a small number of obsessive people on the internet.

EDIT: added quote

ronindave
Youngling

Post by ronindave »

Jim Raynor wrote: Yeah I can see you're just here to troll now.
Oh, yes, internet forum debate strategy #2 - cry troll right after #1 which is call the person a stupid something or other.
I showed quite clearly that the vast majority of the RLM review's points about the movie were completely ignorant and dumb.
The only thing you showed clearly was how you missed the point by miles. The nitpicks of RLM vs your nitpicks are very different in nature. RLM's nitpicks were often used to show symptoms of the overall problem with the prequel series. Your nitpicks were often just that nitpicks that served little purpose except to give you a chance to call RLM stupid.
So if people are convinced by that, then it doesn't speak very highly of themselves.
:roll: You're such a cornball
nygma619
Redshirt

Post by nygma619 »

Jim Raynor wrote:I've been over this again and again in this thread. If you stick to the safe, subjective position that the prequel characters just didn't engage you, then that's not very objectionable. It also isn't enough material to make a 70, 90, or 2 hour (however long the ROTS one is) movie review.
And if that basic, subjective position was really what Stoklasa was talking about...then why is it a scant few minutes out of 70 in his TPM review? Why is almost all of it stupid, ignorant nitpicking?
The main point has to be EVERYTHING he talks about? Your not smart enough to see the obvious? As far as the stupid, ignorant nitpicking? Well obviously he's out to get you because he knows how paranoid you are, and that pissing you off is as easy as asking you a general question. :mrgreen:
Actually in all seriousness, the nitpicking is more about giving the people who watch his reviews some form of entertainment to his audience, in the context of his character, Mr. Plinkett. At least that's my guess. Obviously it hasn't worked for you because almost anytime somebody likes his work, or says something about your work you don't like, you end up going in to Incredible Hulk mode, that also comes with excessive swearing.
One of the biggest gripes I have with geek fandom in general as I get older (and I'm only in my late twenties) is that they often can't see things unless it's through the lens of their personal plight as a downtrodden or geeky kid.
I'm not just talking about in the context of geek fandom (though the prequels don't work for me in that context either). I'm talking about more in the context of general audiences. Oh and don't think I didn't notice how you left out Han Solo (entertainment).
As a strong father figure, Qui-Gon is someone who can be likable for young kids, as well as parents. He's a brave man trying to stand up for what he believes in, even though his bosses keep pressuring him to do otherwise. These are traits that are arguably appealing to grown men and family audiences. The audiences that posturing teenagers think themselves superior to, for no actual reason.
All the jedi are pretty brave, so what? As far as him standing up for what he believes in, that's only a small portion of the movie, and doesn't really affect the outcome of the main plot, nor does he go through any sort of arc/change with that. And I'm glad your able to speak for posturing teenagers about what they think is above or beneath them.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Jim Raynor wrote:
emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4h3_y7SauA&t=2m26s

Hey look at that. Obi-Wan just hanging out, Qui-Gon sitting on the floor and you don't know what you're talking about.
OK, good point (for once). I hadn't noticed that it was the second time that Obi-Wan was cut off by the shields.
Thank you. I appreciate that you would concede the point I was making. Now allow me to return the favor. I spoke too soon when saying that the force is limitless. It was a poor choice of words because I don't actually believe it.
I was more hoping to say that since no real rules are established in the films as to how the force works or doesn't work no one can say why a Jedi or Sith did or didn't use a force power. But tirelessly defending the speed running seems strange to me.
...Not that it matters anyway. As I said several times already, Obi-Wan took a kick in the face and slammed into a hard surface dozens of feet below him. Damage that could kill or cripple a normal human. Would you regard a minute of down time as sufficient enough to fully recover from any hits you take, or energy you expend?
If I'm a Jedi, yes. But if super speed wasn't in the script at all this wouldn't be a probem.
And look at Obi-Wan isn't meditating, while Qui-Gon is. Look at him twirling his lightsaber as he runs in an attempt to rejoin the fight. Maybe, just maybe Obi-Wan's skills and concentration weren't that great? A result of him being a young and headstrong Padawan? Maybe that Force speed (which he and Qui-Gon only sustained for seconds at most) was not something he thought he could pull off right before a big fight with someone more powerful than him?
It just seems to me, by that logic Qui-Gon shouldn't have lost to Maul. I will say this about TPM I quite enjoy the final saber fight as far as action goes.

Who knows or who cares. If this seriously bothered you, then I wonder why you didn't hate it every time Luke didn't use telekinesis to take someone out in ROTJ.[/quote]

It doesn't bother me because telekinesis is constantly used in both trilogies, but super speed is shown once. Why even have it in there? As I've said, it's symptomatic of so much that is wrong with TPM. A screenplay that could have easily been fixed.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Jim Raynor wrote:
emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:So Obi couldn't use his force powers because he was anxious and Qui-Gon could because he was meditating. Then shouldn't Qui-Gon have defeated Maul? I mean he was so composed he grabbed a seat and took a nap.
The Jedi rely on concentration and clear thinking when they use the Force. The Sith feed on rage, using their emotions as fuel. Way to show how little you understand the movies.
Umm, I'm not sure what your point is, everyone understand how the sith and jedi use the force, but how does that explain why Qui-Gon loses and Obi-Wan defeats Maul? If Qui-Gon is better at composing himself and using the force than Obi-wan it's odd that he would lose.
Luke exhibits enough TK in the beginning of ROTJ to throw a rock across a room. I would think that this same amount of force could hurt people, strip their guns out of their hands (exactly as Vader does in TESB), etc. Yet Luke never uses it while fighting on Jabba's barge, and even gets slowed down when Boba Fett managed to tie him up. Wow what a piece of crap movie.
Again, this would be a problem if at some point a person Luke loved was in danger and he didn't use TK to protect them. But his use of the force defeats Jabba's henchmen and saves the day. No one dies from his lack of force juice running out. RotJ only turns to crap when Palpatine's best troops are defeated by teddy bears.
Ok everyone keeps riding on this one. Sure Jedi's get tired and maybe they don't use the force. That doesn't however mean the force is limited, they don't run out of force juice.
What? The Jedi can get tired and not use the Force...but they never run out of the Force. Your words. That doesn't make sense, and any semantic distinction you want to make between those things is meaningless.
True it's a semantics problem.
And my main point with bringing it up is that Jim loved to point out how much he hated when RLM was hypothesizing about elements in TPM that weren't necessarily laid out and yet he was more than happy to do his own guessing in his rebuttal.
There is quite a bit of difference between me pointing out that Obi-Wan took hits that could kill a normal man (as well as clearly acting anxious instead of concentrating)...and Stoklasa making wild ass speculation that is completely unsupported by any evidence, or even any reasonable thought process. Stuff like going on and on about how Qui-Gon didn't have sufficient reason to believe that the Trade Fed was invading after the invasion already started, or talking about the Trade Fed being a Republic government agency. That's just far out there, and you'd embarrass yourself if you try to defend that.
Consider me embarrassed. Tell me the clear explanation for what or who the TF are, from the movie. Judging by the amount of debate on this thread no one seems to know. RLM point is that if your central conflict is going to be an invasion it tends to help to know what that invasion is about other than bad guys vs good guys.
This fanboy catchphrase is tiresome. No one I know describes TPM as a movie "about taxes." It was a brief McGuffin reason early in the movie, with some basis in actual history. The movie pretty much went past that by the end of the opening crawl. The only people I see continuously harping on taxes as this major part of the movie are a small number of obsessive people on the internet.
Once again taxes are a shitty thing to have even part of your movie about let alone be the catalyst for the main conflict. So just like the super speed why do it?
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Being composed has nothing to do with the martial skill of either Qui-Gon or Maul. Nice try there though. Maybe one day you will learn how to actually asses an argument and properly respond to it.
You just said Obi-Wan couldn't beat maul until he composed himself and now it has nothing to do with how well they fight?

As a side note please reply with something about my inability to argue or reading comprehension. Oh... and if you could throw a couple fucks in there that would be great! Thanks!
Yup, and you clearly have no grasp of it. Way to go. And clearly, reading comprehension.
Oh, I found thisReading comp 101 lesson I think you missed it.
I am going to ask you right now, to show exactly where I agreed with you over Raynor. Now pay attention, because this is the important part, if you do not do so, and continue to lie about this, you are breaking a pretty big fucking rule on this board. Handle it as you see fit. I prefer that you just continue on about as you have. Watching permavirgin nerd ragers go down in flames is always amusing.
"Whether I agree with Raynor or not has nothing to do with my fucking post you idiot, as once you figure out reading comprehension, you'll notice I didn't comment on one way or the other."

Until you state that you agree with Raynor I will have to assume you agree with me. Thanks for your (alleged) agreement!

Before I go on to respond to someone else. I want you to know I love you more than the others on this thread. Sure, I might show Jim more attention, but that's just because he's the star and he's not a dick when he replies, but know you will always have a special place in my heart.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Bakustra wrote:
That just makes it more disturbing that you tried to use it as an insult, neckbeard-o. But you've just revealed that you're practically an incarnation of the Ugly American stereotype, since you apparently think that people should glorify in the compartmentalization of their knowledge. You'll fit in well here, though, don't worry.

PS: I meant it about coming out of mommy's basement and taking in the fresh air, unless it would make your skin slough right off.
Oh man. You are a special kind of guy. Vitamin D jokes and nerds in the basement follow ups. What's next a joke about D & D? We're on a forum about star wars. If I'm in the basement than so are you.

PS: Since you like to point out things just in case the reader isn't sure, I'll do the same for you... the basement of which I speak is metaphoric. There isn't a real basement.
Are you immune to reasoning? The point is that said scene is inconsistent with what we see elsewhere in the OT, and so by your metric, ESB sucks balls through a garden hose (since the writing wasn't too hot either; much of the best dialogue in the OT was improvised or altered on-set). But you insist that there has to be a one-to-one correspondence, rather than reasoning that if size matters not/Jedi can lift X-wings, then Luke and Vader should have been trying to throw each other off the catwalks (and succeeding) rather than lightsaber tomfoolery.
If there is a one to one correspondence in the film that doesn't add up then yes it's a problem. Vader does toss a bunch of shit at Luke, since he wasn't trying to kill him he doesn't throw an xwing, but I bet he could if he wanted too. Also I bet he would catch an xwing that was about to land on the emperor. Fortunately Lawrence Kasdan didn't write a scene with Yoda letting an xwing fall on and kill someone in ESB so it gets to stay a good movie.

But Lucas did write a scene where some died because a character didn't use a power at his disposal. You ever hear the saying "you show a gun in the first act, you better use it in the third?" kind of the same thing.
You come up with glib shit like "space taxes", you get people interpreting your hatred as being more "taxes?! in a movie!? in space?? not on MY WATCH!!" than "taxes are a bad idea for a macguffin in an actiony movie" or even "I think that TPM had poor pacing". Maybe you could try not being a raging buffoon who lashes out, and instead go for this thing they call "articulation". Just a thought.
Name your top 5 movies that use taxes as a catalyst for the main conflict. Now tell me you top 5 Anakin lines from TPM, how about your favorite Jar Jar lines? What racial accent did you like the best from the film? I did articulate these because whats the point.
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Spoon of Bombadil wrote:
I'm pretty sure what Yoda was trying to prove has nothing to do with what that guy was saying.
I'm pretty sure that he was talking about the force as having definite limitations as to what it could and could not do based on mass and such and that I pointed out that no, he was full of crap because the essence of the scene is that yoda is showing that size doesn't matter to the force.
The force is still mystical. Midichlorians are only channels to the force. It is only there to explain why only a few people are force sensitive. I myself don't care for midichlorians but it doesn't bother me because all it is is a measurement to how much potential in the force one has.
See, to me this takes away from the mystical aspect of the jedi/sith by making it not about philosophy, self awareness and strength of will then it is about getting lucky in a genetic crap shoot.
It can be inferred that Naboo is a resource rich planet. Just look at it. As rich as it gets.
Sure, but there is no evidence that the people of naboo are exploiting any of it's potential. There's no mines or factories or farms, just pristine fields and forests. So what exactly is it that the naboo have/need that the trade federation's blockade is supposed to prevent?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Bakustra wrote:

Oh man. You are a special kind of guy. Vitamin D jokes and nerds in the basement follow ups. What's next a joke about D & D? We're on a forum about star wars. If I'm in the basement than so are you.

PS: Since you like to point out things just in case the reader isn't sure, I'll do the same for you... the basement of which I speak is metaphoric. There isn't a real basement.
See, I'm not the guy who tried to use getting out in the sun as an insult, so I think that you don't have any real equivalency here just from that, let alone the fact that you obsess over ridiculously tiny details and go about how things are ruined because of those tiny details, you have arrogance tempered with hostility, in short, you exhibit so many repulsive, stereotypically neckbeard/grognard/basement-dwelling troll behaviors that I am quite justified in saying that you are one just to gibe you.

In other words, despite your attempt to drag everybody who likes anything geeky down into the basement with you (where you probably eat them, you fucking cannibal), there are a number of people that like to talk about Star Wars, or play D&D, or make geeky jokes without being socially inept and unpleasant. It's amazing, ain't it?
If there is a one to one correspondence in the film that doesn't add up then yes it's a problem. Vader does toss a bunch of shit at Luke, since he wasn't trying to kill him he doesn't throw an xwing, but I bet he could if he wanted too. Also I bet he would catch an xwing that was about to land on the emperor. Fortunately Lawrence Kasdan didn't write a scene with Yoda letting an xwing fall on and kill someone in ESB so it gets to stay a good movie.

But Lucas did write a scene where some died because a character didn't use a power at his disposal. You ever hear the saying "you show a gun in the first act, you better use it in the third?" kind of the same thing.
Firstly, you're making excuses for ESB because you have constructed this minor god-damned detail in TPM as some kind of devastating blow to the movie, and so rather than abandon it, you abandon intelligence instead. So you speculate while complaining about others speculating, insist that there must be a direct "one-to-one correspondence" in order for the criticism to matter, and in short, humiliate yourself over something so minor.

Secondly, you don't understand Chekov's Law, or else every fucking movie that incorporates more than minimalist set design is awful. The Law refers to the idea that you shouldn't leave plot threads dangling or introduce dei ex machinae. But this is not a case of either- it's more like insisting that if a character mentions he's an accountant in act one, then he should save the day with mad accounts-payable skills in act three You get what the problem is there? It's not a major plot element by default, just a detail that adds to characterization. Or it's like if, in a production of The Glass Menagerie, you decided to add an incidental detail- say, a print on the wall, and then rewrote the play to make it important to the conclusion. The superspeed is a minor detail, not the major plot elements that Chekov was referring to. Thank you for again demonstrating your incompetence and ignorance.
Name your top 5 movies that use taxes as a catalyst for the main conflict. Now tell me you top 5 Anakin lines from TPM, how about your favorite Jar Jar lines? What racial accent did you like the best from the film? I did articulate these because whats the point.
Here, going back to the first paragraph, is another stereotypical behavior. Insisting that one must either agree with you or else take up some grotesque position (in this case, that TPM is a masterpiece of cinema). You must be a real winner with the ladies, eh, sport?

PS: So is The Blues Brothers an awful movie? Or are you just flailing around trying to justify the idiotic complaints you conjured up to solidify your general distaste? Or are you really as dumb as you're coming across as here?
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Loup Garou wrote:
Spoon of Bombadil wrote:
I'm pretty sure that he was talking about the force as having definite limitations as to what it could and could not do based on mass and such and that I pointed out that no, he was full of crap because the essence of the scene is that yoda is showing that size doesn't matter to the force.
So why is Yoda winded afterward? Why don't Luke, or Vader, or Obi-Wan, or the Emperor, demonstrate this at any point (if size really did matter not, why is the Death Star needed?) Could it be a philosophical statement rather than a literal one? Could it be that though the Force is unlimited, the Jedi is not? In other words, could it be that you're not even bothering to think about the movie, instead mindlessly mouthing phrases like a concussed mynah bird?
See, to me this takes away from the mystical aspect of the jedi/sith by making it not about philosophy, self awareness and strength of will then it is about getting lucky in a genetic crap shoot.
Only if you want it to be. It barely changes anything if they're just indicators. Some people are genetically/congenitally better at football or basketball or a number of sports by having a body frame and metabolism that befits the sport. That doesn't mean you can't play the sport without that genetic/congenital advantage. You're insisting on the least charitable interpretation, and I honestly have to wonder why.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Bakustra wrote: See, I'm not the guy who tried to use getting out in the sun as an insult
Actually you did when you said
frankly, to me, that you need to get some Vitamin D into your life.
Which is a really good gibe and original too, just like the basement dwelling joke. You're very clever that's why I honored you with the title Captain.
so I think that you don't have any real equivalency here just from that, let alone the fact that you obsess over ridiculously tiny details and go about how things are ruined because of those tiny details, you have arrogance tempered with hostility, in short, you exhibit so many repulsive, stereotypically neckbeard/grognard/basement-dwelling troll behaviors that I am quite justified in saying that you are one just to gibe you.
So let me get this right. You're not a proverbial basement because you aren't hostile and arrogant?
In other words, despite your attempt to drag everybody who likes anything geeky down into the basement with you (where you probably eat them, you fucking cannibal), there are a number of people that like to talk about Star Wars, or play D&D, or make geeky jokes without being socially inept and unpleasant. It's amazing, ain't it?
Cool, can you send this people my way? So I can EAT THEM!

Hey if you like geeky jokes, you should check out this video.
Firstly, you're making excuses for ESB because you have constructed this minor god-damned detail in TPM as some kind of devastating blow to the movie, and so rather than abandon it, you abandon intelligence instead. So you speculate while complaining about others speculating, insist that there must be a direct "one-to-one correspondence" in order for the criticism to matter, and in short, humiliate yourself over something so minor.

Secondly, you don't understand Chekov's Law, or else every fucking movie that incorporates more than minimalist set design is awful. The Law refers to the idea that you shouldn't leave plot threads dangling or introduce dei ex machinae. But this is not a case of either- it's more like insisting that if a character mentions he's an accountant in act one, then he should save the day with mad accounts-payable skills in act three You get what the problem is there? It's not a major plot element by default, just a detail that adds to characterization. Or it's like if, in a production of The Glass Menagerie, you decided to add an incidental detail- say, a print on the wall, and then rewrote the play to make it important to the conclusion. The superspeed is a minor detail, not the major plot elements that Chekov was referring to. Thank you for again demonstrating your incompetence and ignorance.
Notice I said it's "kinda like that". Let's do this again. If you have an accountant that has shown a accounting ability at the beginning of a movie that could save someone's life (or finances) at the end and he doesn't use it you'd have a point. Same thing if in the Glass Menagerie if that print on the wall was capable of finding a suitor for Laura.
Here, going back to the first paragraph, is another stereotypical behavior. Insisting that one must either agree with you or else take up some grotesque position (in this case, that TPM is a masterpiece of cinema). You must be a real winner with the ladies, eh, sport?

PS: So is The Blues Brothers an awful movie? Or are you just flailing around trying to justify the idiotic complaints you conjured up to solidify your general distaste? Or are you really as dumb as you're coming across as here?
So you don't have a top 5?
Spoon of Bombadil
Redshirt

Post by Spoon of Bombadil »

Loup Garou wrote:
Spoon of Bombadil wrote:

But it still requires more force ability to lift something like that. It requires more focus.
It is still mystical. It still requires extreme training with focus, endurance, will power etc. You could still be more powerful than someone with more midichlorians.

Lucas was going to put midichlorians in the OT. He created it in 1977. I wonder how many people's opinion would change if they were in the OT originally. There would be a lot more people for them than currently.
Sure, but there is no evidence that the people of naboo are exploiting any of it's potential. There's no mines or factories or farms, just pristine fields and forests. So what exactly is it that the naboo have/need that the trade federation's blockade is supposed to prevent?
Probably because they aren't near the city. We don't get to see much of Naboo. I am pretty sure there are farms scattered all throughout the planet. I know they didn't show the factories and farms in the movie that I know of but I saw some in the Battle for Naboo video game. I know EU doesn't count but I know they are there because it is a resource heavy planet and people live there.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Bakustra wrote: See, I'm not the guy who tried to use getting out in the sun as an insult
Actually you did when you said
frankly, to me, that you need to get some Vitamin D into your life.
Which is a really good gibe and original too, just like the basement dwelling joke. You're very clever that's why I honored you with the title Captain.
so I think that you don't have any real equivalency here just from that, let alone the fact that you obsess over ridiculously tiny details and go about how things are ruined because of those tiny details, you have arrogance tempered with hostility, in short, you exhibit so many repulsive, stereotypically neckbeard/grognard/basement-dwelling troll behaviors that I am quite justified in saying that you are one just to gibe you.
So let me get this right. You're not a proverbial basement because you aren't hostile and arrogant?
Cool, can you send this people my way? So I can EAT THEM!

Hey if you like geeky jokes, you should check out this video.
Wrong. I said that if you really care about that so much, that you're acting like a basement-dwelling troll. Then you responded with "gee i thinks you gets too much vitamin d yourself hurr hurr", which is sub-"I'm rubber, you're glue"-level as a response to an insult. You did, in fact, suggest that I got too much sunlight, and so I decided to turn that into extended mockery of you, after which you decided to dive head-first into stereotype.

I find it hilarious that you go on about how arrogant I am (boosting yourself up to insulting at a third-grade level in the process) while acting the way you do. I wonder if you'll descend in monkey cheese garbage if this continues. But I'll explain it to you; it's the intersection of these morbid behaviors, not individual ones.

Notice I said it's "kinda like that". Let's do this again. If you have an accountant that has shown a accounting ability at the beginning of a movie that could save someone's life (or finances) at the end and he doesn't use it you'd have a point. Same thing if in the Glass Menagerie if that print on the wall was capable of finding a suitor for Laura.
So it's like Chekov's Law, except that it refers to tiny, background details. Got it. I'm sure that this will become widely accepted and taught in film schools and theater departments across the country. You're also not distancing this from TESB either, since Luke could have used his X-wing lifting powers (since under your beliefs, the Force is completely unlimited) to toss Vader off the catwalk and save his hand. What a shitty movie, right?

I see that you put as much thought into your response as a chicken into pecking at feed. Maybe you could try thinking a little harder next time.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Bakustra wrote: Wrong. I said that if you really care about that so much, that you're acting like a basement-dwelling troll. Then you responded with "gee i thinks you gets too much vitamin d yourself hurr hurr", which is sub-"I'm rubber, you're glue"-level as a response to an insult. You did, in fact, suggest that I got too much sunlight, and so I decided to turn that into extended mockery of you, after which you decided to dive head-first into stereotype.

I find it hilarious that you go on about how arrogant I am (boosting yourself up to insulting at a third-grade level in the process) while acting the way you do. I wonder if you'll descend in monkey cheese garbage if this continues. But I'll explain it to you; it's the intersection of these morbid behaviors, not individual ones.
So your second response comes with personal attacks of nerd sterotypes like vitamin D jokes. Then you're mad when you take my claim that you get too much of it to literally mean I think too much sun is a bad thing and I'm acting like a basement dwelling 3rd grader. You know the last time I heard the vitamin D joke. The 3rd grade.

What's monkey cheese garbage? Is that metonymy as well? If you don't mind I'm going to use it later, right after I use a poopie face joke.
So it's like Chekov's Law, except that it refers to tiny, background details. Got it. I'm sure that this will become widely accepted and taught in film schools and theater departments across the country. You're also not distancing this from TESB either, since Luke could have used his X-wing lifting powers (since under your beliefs, the Force is completely unlimited) to toss Vader off the catwalk and save his hand. What a shitty movie, right?

It was established that Luke couldn't lift the X-Wing, however Obi-Wan could speed run so your point is still moot. I went into more detail about the semantics of what I meant about the unlimited/limited argument. Jim and I will agree to disagree, but I conceded the point. Watch what I do on the next response.

I see that you put as much thought into your response as a chicken into pecking at feed. Maybe you could try thinking a little harder next time.
You're right I didn't put a ton of thought into it, I had to hurry and scramble back to my cannibal basement under my mom's house because the sun was starting to peak out from behind the clouds.

Good point about the Blues Brothers. I will say however that the difference is we understand the motivations of each party. The IRS wants its money and the Brothers want to save the orphanage. That clarity makes a big difference to me and a lot of other fans. TPM has muddy motivations at best.

If that's cool with you whatever. But do you really want to defend child anakin (be it the actor, the writing or just the fact that lucas made Vader a child) or Jar Jar binks? You don't think there was a better story Lucas could have told?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Bakustra wrote: Wrong. I said that if you really care about that so much, that you're acting like a basement-dwelling troll. Then you responded with "gee i thinks you gets too much vitamin d yourself hurr hurr", which is sub-"I'm rubber, you're glue"-level as a response to an insult. You did, in fact, suggest that I got too much sunlight, and so I decided to turn that into extended mockery of you, after which you decided to dive head-first into stereotype.

So your second response comes with personal attacks of nerd sterotypes like vitamin D jokes. Then you're mad when you take my claim that you get too much of it to literally mean I think too much sun is a bad thing and I'm acting like a basement dwelling 3rd grader. You know the last time I heard the vitamin D joke. The 3rd grade.

What's monkey cheese garbage? Is that metonymy as well? If you don't mind I'm going to use it later, right after I use a poopie face joke.

Dude, I'm being lenient on you by the standards of the internet overall. There are plenty of places where they'd have jumped straight to calling you a fat autistic the second you set finger to keyboard. I started with a little aside about how idiotic it was to take this so goddamned seriously. You replied by trying to turn it back, implicitly treating sunlight like a negative. I decided that if you wanted to sling back, then by gum, I'd oblige you. Now, you're complaining about how mean I am and taking things literally while complaining that I'm taking things too literally. Or is this your idea of a joke?

Monkey cheese garbage is where people will throw out "random" phrases for humor. Key signs include inappropriate exclamation marks, a giddy tone overall, etc. You verged on the line for a little bit there, but now you're back on the school playground again, judging from your masterful responses.

It was established that Luke couldn't lift the X-Wing, however Obi-Wan could speed run so your point is still moot. I went into more detail about the semantics of what I meant about the unlimited/limited argument. Jim and I will agree to disagree, but I conceded the point. Watch what I do on the next response.

"Size matters not", buddy. Yoda expected him to be able to lift the X-wing, clearly he could do so, and a human weighs so much less than an X-wing anyhow. The larger point that I'm trying to make with this is that such criticisms are generally stupid. They focus on minor elements of the film, which are themselves not really that bad. In this case, there are not only parallels, but the scene that introduces superspeed has it tucked away in the background. Bringing it up in the conclusion would be more out of place, since it would seem to come from nowhere.
You're right I didn't put a ton of thought into it, I had to hurry and scramble back to my cannibal basement under my mom's house because the sun was starting to peak out from behind the clouds.

Good point about the Blues Brothers. I will say however that the difference is we understand the motivations of each party. The IRS wants its money and the Brothers want to save the orphanage. That clarity makes a big difference to me and a lot of other fans. TPM has muddy motivations at best.

If that's cool with you whatever. But do you really want to defend child anakin (be it the actor, the writing or just the fact that lucas made Vader a child) or Jar Jar binks? You don't think there was a better story Lucas could have told?
The problem here is that you're demanding something out of a macguffin that it does not necessarily need to have- a clear reason why it is important. In so many crime and spy films, the macguffin is vaguely valuable jewelry and ambiguous papers, respectively. Here, it's "taxation of outlying trade routes". Going into depth about the motivations behind this is not important, because all it needs to do is set up a reason why the blockade is there, why the Jedi are sent to the blockade, and essentially set the film in motion. All too often, the initial macguffin is forgotten over the course of a story. So too with this. One could argue that it should have been clearer why the Trade Federation is launching its blockade, but alternatively, one could assume that a Trade Federation may be opposed to trade taxes. But it's pretty much irrelevant anyhow, much like how in The Blues Brothers, the tax money doesn't come into play after the opening until the final chase scene. For an even more ambiguous macguffin, we go to Pulp Fiction's famous briefcase, where the briefcase's contents are never revealed or even hinted at beyond the glow and "it's beautiful." Nobody would say that Pulp Fiction is a bad movie because you never get to see inside the briefcase, and I don't think that condemning The Phantom Menace.

The second part- well, here's why I continue to insult you, but will probably tone it down a little. You see, it's possible for someone to say that TPM was a bad movie, and still find criticism of it to be unwarranted or ignorant or uninformed. The mindset behind the alternative is frankly frightening. It is what underlies the efforts to shut down criticism of the PATRIOT Act and any dissent in the USA- the idea of the black-and-white worldview. So I find it annoying on an interpersonal level, but disturbing overall for the implications it has had in the world. And I do not assume that people compartmentalize such worldviews a priori (or at all really, unless I know them well enough). So while I thought initially that you were doing that out of hostility, I see that you are sincere.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You just said Obi-Wan couldn't beat maul until he composed himself and now it has nothing to do with how well they fight?
Wow. I, mean, really? You do know that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn are different characters correct? Have you seen the movie?

OK. Let me break this down for you. Obi-Wan completely lost his composure as he kept getting handled by Maul. He got more angry and more frustrated as the fight went on.

Qui-Gon (a different character) maintained his composure through out the fight. However, he did not posses the skill to defeat Maul on his own. He kept his cool the whole time, yet his fighting skill was not equal to Maul's.

Once, Obi-Wan regained his composure his skill was sufficient to beat Maul.

You get it now? All things being equal Qui-Gon < Maul < Obi-Wan. When Obi-Wan was channeling his anger, not being composed and losing his cool, Obi-Wan < Maul.

These are themes designed for little kids to be able to figure out. It says a lot about your intelligence (and perhaps your own age) that you need it broken down and explained to you.

As a side note please reply with something about my inability to argue or reading comprehension.
Do I really need to restate the obvious, again?
"Whether I agree with Raynor or not has nothing to do with my fucking post you idiot, as once you figure out reading comprehension, you'll notice I didn't comment on one way or the other."

Until you state that you agree with Raynor I will have to assume you agree with me. Thanks for your (alleged) agreement!
So in response to me asking you to show where I agree with you over Raynor, you post me specifically saying that I didn't even comment on it, let alone agree one way or the other. Congratulations, you have taken your place among some of the dumbest people to ever attempt to argue on this board.

Assuming doesn't fly around here. I doubt you will be around long enough to figure that out though. I accept you concession on the point and admittance of lying.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Let alone the fact that the OT set up that theme with Qui Gon/Obi Wan/Maul.
Yoda wrote:You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
As Obi Wan was getting frustrated and angry he was playing right into the hands of the Sith, getting schooled too. Qui Gon was at peace, even meditating when he got a smoke break with the silly force fields. Havok is right though, even with Qui Gon being at peace and aligned with the Light Side of the Force, he just wasn't up to it, to defeat Maul. I think I remember the novel remarking that he was past his prime and the fight took a lot out of him to keep up. Obi Wan, on the other hand, had the chops to kill Maul, but was being baited into anger and stupid shit by Maul. Once he got control of himself, calm and composed, used the Force the way he had been taught, he got the upper hand on Maul who war at that point arrogant and sure he'd won.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Havok wrote:Once, Obi-Wan regained his composure his skill was sufficient to beat Maul.
I was more under the impression that Obi-Wan only beat Maul because Maul took the time to toy with him instead of finishing him.

Does anyone else think this thread may end up being 108 pages long?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy