Response to RedLetterMedia's TPM Review (108 Page PDF)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Loup Garou
Redshirt

Re: Response to RedLetterMedia's TPM Review (108 Page PDF)

Post by Loup Garou »

With regards to Jedi Superspeed: I honestly interpret it as an editing mistake, since no one else does anything like that at any other point in the series.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Although I treat it personally as a continuity error as well, the original script had them more or less "teleporting" away, but then again the original script also had the Jedi surrounded by a dozen droidekas, so I don't know how "canon" it is.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Metahive wrote:Although I treat it personally as a continuity error as well, the original script had them more or less "teleporting" away, but then again the original script also had the Jedi surrounded by a dozen droidekas, so I don't know how "canon" it is.
Teleporting doesn't sound any better.

I'll say this though, The collosal debate that popped up over this tells me a lot about some of the folks that love the prequels.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

nygma619 wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:Stop being deliberately dense. That was one of Stoklasa's dumbest, but most frequently used methods. Again, if someone argues that the RLM has some profound "main point," then I would expect a signficant portion of that review to be backing up that "main point."
Well you seem to be the only one who DOESN'T get it. He constantly mentions how bored he is of the characters, the plot, the acting, the dialogue, and the stupid ass kid. But since you think everything has to focus on ONE THING that automatically makes him wrong and you right. :roll:
You're in denial, plain and simple. I showed, in a hundred-page response, how the vast majority of the RLM review was not some intelligent, insightful, and safely subjective statement that he was simply bored or unengaged by the movie. Stoklasa aimed to portray George Lucas as a complete and total idiot who couldn't write anything that made the barest bit of sense. Only Stoklasa's supposedly sensible comments were in fact stupid and ignorant nitpicking.
When I see that the vast majority of the review is a disjointed mass of dumb nitpicks, including such relevant arguments as:
-Arguing that Qui-Gon didn't have reason to believe there was an invasion, after seeing it and almost being killed himself
-Bizarrely claiming that Sidious should have told the Trade Fed to screw themselves over for no reward
-Nitpicking the minutia of a few laser shot visuals, even as those exact visuals refute what he's saying
-Acting up and intentionally stuttering like a dork for minutes on end without making any actual point
-Bashing the characters' choices even as he suggests idiotic Rambo tactics of his own
-Acting like a conspiracy weirdo and claiming that he sees "terror" and "mistrust" in LFL employees, basically being a scumbag and slinging mud on Lucas's personal and professional relationships without any actual evidence

etc, then I'm not going to accept that I've somehow missed some awesome "main point" of his.
Oh my God, you are a fucking annoying whiner.
I write out a list full of examples of Stoklasa's stupid nitpicking (as opposed to some mythical "main point" about being bored)...and you respond with an incredulous little line about me being "fucking annoying." :lol:

If you can't keep up then don't bother posting anymore. Everyone here can see right through you.
And you call THAT being a scumbag? Oh no, calling George Lucas a pedophile like someone did elsewhere http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews. ... enace.html would make him a scumbag.
Stunning logic you have there. Repeatedly insinuating things about Lucas's personal and professional relationships, with no proof whatsoever, doesn't make Stoklasa a "scumbag" because some other guy out there was even more ridiculous in his mudslinging.

I get it man. You're a fanboy of a fanboy.
Also a few of those aren't even about the nitpicks and is just you whining about the satire aspects.
Gotta love the way RLM apologists like to spin things. Stupid and factually incorrect things that Stoklasa says are just "satire" now. :D
Also something you both left out was Qui-Gon stupidly going ahead with making a bet AFTER it's revealed that Anakin never finished a pod race. He never did anything to find out if Anakin was any good or not.
He sensed the boy's Force talent, and had that Force talent confirmed with an objective test which showed Anakin having powers in line with what the prophecied "Chosen One" was thought to have. It ultimately came down to Qui-Gon's belief in the boy. He's trusting and has faith in people. That's his character.
And I didn't buy Anakin going from not finishing to winning for one God Damn minute.
Did you buy Luke kicking Vader's ass after being totally owned by him in the previous movie? Jedi powers can grow very quickly, and as a young growing boy I would assume that significant growth would be more possible with Anakin.
So it's lowbrow humor for people who can't sort out his bullcrap. Gotcha.
That's just your opinion, and really your condescending bullshit I'm more holier than thou attitude is getting old.
I love how the vast majority of your post is just whining about how I'm supposedly so horrible and mean to you. Again, if Stoklasa's review is full of proven stupidity, which some people don't seem to be aware of even as they praise it to the skies, then that tells me that those people weren't knowledgable enough to see through his crap.

And repeatedly falling back to excusing that stupidity as "humor" doesn't work, if you are trying to argue for the review's logical validity. I like some things that are full of stupid humor too. Doesn't mean that I go out of my way to claim that they're correct or insightful when they're not.
Well they can't be THAT narrow-minded since they went ahead with him being trained, by someone who was just MADE into a jedi knight, and not someone who's had more experience as a jedi knight. Oh wait... :roll:
I love this. Most of the Jedi Council's screen time is spent criticizing Anakin over perfectly natural attachment to his mother or giving half-assed excuses for not training Anakin ("he's too old"). Qui-Gon has to fight to stand up for what he believes in, and it's strongly implied that his career as a Jedi Master has been held down because he won't fall in line with what the Council says. The Council FINALLY decides to train the boy as a way to grant Qui-Gon's dying wish...which somehow shows that Qui-Gon wasn't all that different or more open-minded than them?
Qui-Gon standing up for his belief in Anakin and eventually getting the kid trained, despite the Council's original opposition, doesn't affect the main plot. Really?
No it doesn't. It has no bearing on anything that's going to help the Naboo one way or another, nor does it have ANY bearing on Palpatine's scheme of advancing himself politically.
In case you didn't notice, a significant portion of the movie is about Anakin letting go of his humble background on a journey to achieve greater things.
Also for someone who spends alot of time claiming that Mike Stoklasa (because using his real name instead of Harry S. Plinkett is really edgy :roll: )
Wow, how dorky can you be? I didn't even know that "Plinkett" had a first name and middle initial! I'm somehow a bad guy now for not using the obscure name of a clearly fictional character. :lol:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:If I'm a Jedi, yes. But if super speed wasn't in the script at all this wouldn't be a probem.
You're still making assumptions about what the Jedi can do, when they have repeatedly not used their full set of powers in numerous other situations throughout every movie.
So you're making assumptions about the minutia of how the Jedi powers work. You think Obi-Wan, who had already engaged in combat and taken a few hard bumps, must have been able to pull off a feat that he demonstrated just once, for a couple of seconds at most, when he was much fresher.
To save his master. Yes. If I could lift a car and my dad was trapped under one you better believe I'd try to lift it even if Ray Park had kicked me in the face a minute before.
"If" being the key word here. It's easy to talk. Can you actually lift that car? Because strong, able-bodied men fail to lift far less on a daily basis. Would you be talking about lifting stuff after being punched in the face, or thrown out a third-story window?
And I believe I pointed out examples of RLM's embarassingly dumb points. Stuff like speculating that the Trade Fed is a government agency of the Republic enforcing legitimate tax laws, or arguing that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were "making shit up" when they were trying to persuade the Gungans to help deal with the invasion...after almost being killed and seeing the invasion happen. Stuff like that is absolutely ridiculous, and shows that the people who liked the RLM review either weren't paying any attention, or weren't smart enough to smell the BS.
Or they don't care, because he followed it up with a joke about space taxes going to obama.
So they didn't care about something that was stupid because they regarded it as dumb humor. Which doesn't mean they should treat it as smart and correct then.
I actually liked your speculation on if they were the tax enforcers, say the TF is the IRS and naboo hasn't paid up, but they still need legal clearance to invade.
Which is not at all the way the situation was portrayed in the movie. The movie stated that the Trade Federation had a "trade franchise," and was "greedy."
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TK421 wrote:I don't know Mike Stoklasa or Jim Raynor and have never interacted with either of them, but in the few interviews I've read and one audio commentary I've heard with Stoklasa, he seems like a perfectly normal, non-scumbaggy dude when out of character.
So he seemed nice in some interview that you read. That proves nothing at all. I've seen corrupt politicians and jerks of all kinds put on a nice face when being interviewed. I said that Stoklasa was acting like a scumbag because I actually had a specific example of him making unsupported attacks on someone else's character and professional relationships.

TK421
Redshirt

Post by TK421 »

So he seemed nice in some interview that you read. That proves nothing at all. I've seen corrupt politicians and jerks of all kinds put on a nice face when being interviewed.
I italicized 'seems' for a reason. Like I said, I've never met the man but I have no reason to think he's some sort of 'scumbag'. It's possible he may be a scumbag but all I can judge him by is what he puts out there. It's possible you might be a nice, good natured guy but all I have to judge you by is what you put out there.
I said that Stoklasa was acting like a scumbag because I actually had a specific example of him making unsupported attacks on someone else's character and professional relationships.
He was giving his opinion. If saying you think George Lucas' employees have terrified looks on their faces is now what qualifies a human being as a scumbag, the scumbag bar has been significantly lowered.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
nygma619
Redshirt

Post by nygma619 »

Jim Raynor wrote:You're in denial, plain and simple. I showed, in a hundred-page response, how the vast majority of the RLM review was not some intelligent, insightful, and safely subjective statement that he was simply bored or unengaged by the movie. Stoklasa aimed to portray George Lucas as a complete and total idiot who couldn't write anything that made the barest bit of sense. Only Stoklasa's supposedly sensible comments were in fact stupid and ignorant nitpicking.
You're the one in denial if you think Stoklasa's main goal wasn't to show that the three films of the prequel trilogy were poor films PERIOD.
I write out a list full of examples of Stoklasa's stupid nitpicking (as opposed to some mythical "main point" about being bored)...and you respond with an incredulous little line about me being "fucking annoying." :lol:

If you can't keep up then don't bother posting anymore. Everyone here can see right through you.
Ugh, yes you are annoying, as apparently you were so bothered by what people thought of RLM's PM review you felt you not only had to respond to it, you felt you had to overcompensate for it, with 108 pages.
I told you how I had already read your tirade, but you list things off like you expect it to change my mind, THAT is why it's you whining.
Stunning logic you have there. Repeatedly insinuating things about Lucas's personal and professional relationships, with no proof whatsoever, doesn't make Stoklasa a "scumbag" because some other guy out there was even more ridiculous in his mudslinging.

I get it man. You're a fanboy of a fanboy.
Says the star wars prequel fanboy. People have been exaggerating what people really are like for decades. Wheter it's George W. Bush being an idiot. Sarah Palin being an f'in retard, Brett Farve being a pervert.
Also if he did insinuate anything he NEVER insinuated that he was a despicable human being, he just showed he was someone who wanted control. If he did THAT then I might agree with you.
Gotta love the way RLM apologists like to spin things. Stupid and factually incorrect things that Stoklasa says are just "satire" now. :D
Sample of your words, to prove my point:
"-Acting up and intentionally stuttering like a dork for minutes on end without making any actual point"

Gotta love you willing to be a classless prick, to anyone who disagrees or challenges your point of view.
He sensed the boy's Force talent, and had that Force talent confirmed with an objective test which showed Anakin having powers in line with what the prophecied "Chosen One" was thought to have. It ultimately came down to Qui-Gon's belief in the boy. He's trusting and has faith in people. That's his character.
Yeah he sensed so much force in the boy, he HAD to get a midicholrian count, his FAITH in people could've got them stranded there if the script didn't call for it.
Did you buy Luke kicking Vader's ass after being totally owned by him in the previous movie? Jedi powers can grow very quickly, and as a young growing boy I would assume that significant growth would be more possible with Anakin.
Luke was more mature than Anakin (who had NO concept of the force at that point), and I'm pretty sure all the other racers had more resources and money to make a better podracer, not to mention experience.
I love how the vast majority of your post is just whining about how I'm supposedly so horrible and mean to you. Again, if Stoklasa's review is full of proven stupidity, which some people don't seem to be aware of even as they praise it to the skies, then that tells me that those people weren't knowledgable enough to see through his crap.
Why should I be responsible for them and what they think, or better yet why should you be responsible for them or what they think? I already pointed out how I feel about both of your reviews, but even despite that I still found enjoyment in his movie review. And still find some of your criticism's flawed.
I love this. Most of the Jedi Council's screen time is spent criticizing Anakin over perfectly natural attachment to his mother or giving half-assed excuses for not training Anakin ("he's too old"). Qui-Gon has to fight to stand up for what he believes in, and it's strongly implied that his career as a Jedi Master has been held down because he won't fall in line with what the Council says. The Council FINALLY decides to train the boy as a way to grant Qui-Gon's dying wish...which somehow shows that Qui-Gon wasn't all that different or more open-minded than them?
Somehow I don't think Qui-Gon would've been THAT bothered if someone besides Obi-Wan Kenobi trained him. I think he would've been happy just to have Anakin get training PERIOD.
In case you didn't notice, a significant portion of the movie is about Anakin letting go of his humble background on a journey to achieve greater things.
And yet Lucas couldn't get that to intersect with the main plot of the movie in a believable way?
Wow, how dorky can you be? I didn't even know that "Plinkett" had a first name and middle initial! I'm somehow a bad guy now for not using the obscure name of a clearly fictional character. :lol:
For someone who spent God knows how much time writing that 108 page review of A REVIEW, your calling me dorky? :roll:
I thought you would've had your "facts" straight on shit like that. The guy I talked to on another forum was right about you, when he said you were a classless act, and that if you were on any other forum boards, you would've got the boot.
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Wow Jimmy. I've been on a few message boards in my day and you have got to be one of the most litigious posters I've ever seen.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Loup Garou wrote:With regards to Jedi Superspeed: I honestly interpret it as an editing mistake, since no one else does anything like that at any other point in the series.
Do you do that with the Jedi dream sequences? I mean, you only see it in ROTS.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Post by emersonlakeandbalmer »

Jim Raynor wrote:
emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:If I'm a Jedi, yes. But if super speed wasn't in the script at all this wouldn't be a probem.
You're still making assumptions about what the Jedi can do, when they have repeatedly not used their full set of powers in numerous other situations throughout every movie.
I’m saying what the Jedi should have done from a story telling perspective. I mentioned this to Bakusta but the fact that force speed is tucked away is the problem. In no other movie is it used. It's an abnormality that draws attention because of that very fact.

You’re right I am making assumptions about what Jedi’s can do and when they can do it. But so are you. You don’t know he can’t use super speed because he’s hurt. If at some point in TPM Obi-Wan’s power had failed him because of 1. Being anxious 2. Being a padawn 3. Being hurt. It would help in understanding why he didn’t use it, in fact it would have been a nice character touch.

Instead we’re left to get annoyed by what we saw at the start of the film because now Obi-Wan is not doing everything in his power to save his friend. TPM is full of moments like that. Defending it feels like apologetics.
So you're making assumptions about the minutia of how the Jedi powers work. You think Obi-Wan, who had already engaged in combat and taken a few hard bumps, must have been able to pull off a feat that he demonstrated just once, for a couple of seconds at most, when he was much fresher.
To save his master. Yes. If I could lift a car and my dad was trapped under one you better believe I'd try to lift it even if Ray Park had kicked me in the face a minute before.
"If" being the key word here. It's easy to talk. Can you actually lift that car? Because strong, able-bodied men fail to lift far less on a daily basis. Would you be talking about lifting stuff after being punched in the face, or thrown out a third-story window?
Actually the key word was “try”. I might not be able to lift a car off my dad, but I would certainly try too even if I was punched in the face and thrown out a window. Obi-Wan however did not try and fail to use his force power. It was much more likely Lucas forgot it was in the movie.
And I believe I pointed out examples of RLM's embarassingly dumb points. Stuff like speculating that the Trade Fed is a government agency of the Republic enforcing legitimate tax laws, or arguing that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were "making shit up" when they were trying to persuade the Gungans to help deal with the invasion...after almost being killed and seeing the invasion happen. Stuff like that is absolutely ridiculous, and shows that the people who liked the RLM review either weren't paying any attention, or weren't smart enough to smell the BS.
Or they don't care, because he followed it up with a joke about space taxes going to obama.
So they didn't care about something that was stupid because they regarded it as dumb humor. Which doesn't mean they should treat it as smart and correct then.

Which is not at all the way the situation was portrayed in the movie. The movie stated that the Trade Federation had a "trade franchise," and was "greedy."
Well its only stupid if you don’t think it’s funny. Because his line right after that is “the point is I’m still not sure what the doughnut ships were there to do” (an important line you left out of your review). That’s the line people think is smart and correct, because we don’t know. At one point the TF even says “we should not have made this bargain” What bargain? For better or worse these are our main villains, but we have no idea their motivations beyond what the open crawl says about being greedy.

When people accuse you of missing the “main point” of the RLM review it’s because you seem to take so much of what RLM says as criticism of the in world logic as apposed to criticism of it as a film. When he talks about character you paraphrase it:

“He makes some fair points about the value of having likable, identifiable protagonists who the audience roots for, though he's very decompressed as he runs off a long list of movie heroes and shows numerous short clips from various movies. Mostly he shows a bunch of teenage and young adult Regular Joe characters taking crap from people early in their movies, before their adventures start. This takes up most of the next four minutes.”

The reason he goes on for four minutes about character is to show what the universal character traits/arcs are for a hero in this type of movie. By glancing it over and focusing on things like “Anakin shows up 32 minutes not 45 minutes” of course people are going to accuse you of missing the main point. He uses those four minutes to set up how none of the characters in PM fit with the classic archetype for this kind of movie.

You stated that Qui-gon was the protagonist. What was his arc then? How did he grow from the start of the film to the end? How is he in any way like the characters Plinkett references in those 4 minutes?

As a side note please tell me how calling the people interviewed “amateur actors” is any different than the opinions stoklasa had about the behind the scene footage of Lucas? Sounds an awful lot like a “Basic smear tactics.”
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Elfdart wrote:
Loup Garou wrote:With regards to Jedi Superspeed: I honestly interpret it as an editing mistake, since no one else does anything like that at any other point in the series.
No, because it's tied to the Jedi's abilities to percieve the future and helped to move the story along. Jedi Super speed happens once and only once and from the way it happens it looks like the speed of the film was turned up by mistake during post production and nobody caught it.

So yeah:I'm pretty sure it's an editing mistake.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Loup Garou wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
No, because it's tied to the Jedi's abilities to percieve the future and helped to move the story along. Jedi Super speed happens once and only once and from the way it happens it looks like the speed of the film was turned up by mistake during post production and nobody caught it.
Except that's not how suspension of disbelief works. Suspension of disbelief tells us that at that moment, they were going super-fast, because that's what we're shown. It also suggests that if they didn't later on, it's because they were either foolish by not doing so or because something we couldn't see prevented them from doing so.

Once you decide that you can allow for some of their feats to be an accepted part of their roster of abilities, but others to be errors in presentation, you have broken the idea that two people can reach any kind of qualitative conclusion.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Lagmonster wrote:
Loup Garou wrote:
Elfdart wrote: Do you do that with the Jedi dream sequences? I mean, you only see it in ROTS.
Except that's not how suspension of disbelief works. Suspension of disbelief tells us that at that moment, they were going super-fast, because that's what we're shown. It also suggests that if they didn't later on, it's because they were either foolish by not doing so or because something we couldn't see prevented them from doing so.

Once you decide that you can allow for some of their feats to be an accepted part of their roster of abilities, but others to be errors in presentation, you have broken the idea that two people can reach any kind of qualitative conclusion.
If you simply accept anything that you are shown on screen without applying any logic or consideration then you lack the capacity to actually judge the quality of cinema.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Loup Garou wrote: No, because it's tied to the Jedi's abilities to percieve the future and helped to move the story along. Jedi Super speed happens once and only once and from the way it happens it looks like the speed of the film was turned up by mistake during post production and nobody caught it.
Luke jumped out of the carbon freeze chamber at high speed as well -much faster than simply leaping out of the pit. So if anything, high-speed movement for Jedi Knights is more ingrained in the series than Jedi dream sequences.
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Elfdart wrote:
Loup Garou wrote: No, because it's tied to the Jedi's abilities to percieve the future and helped to move the story along. Jedi Super speed happens once and only once and from the way it happens it looks like the speed of the film was turned up by mistake during post production and nobody caught it.
Luke jumped out of the carbon freeze chamber at high speed as well -much faster than simply leaping out of the pit. So if anything, high-speed movement for Jedi Knights is more ingrained in the series than Jedi dream sequences.
Except that the whole reason for him to go to bespin was because he had a vision of his friends being tortured by vader. The fact that we don't get a trippy dream sequence is irrelevent to this point.

Further, that particular event is backed up by the training sequence on the millenium falcon in ANH where in Luke is able to perceive the movements and and attack pattern of the training ball despite not being able to see it.

You talk about luke leaping out of the carbonite pit (and hey vader glided 20 feet in that scene too) but I attribute that more to the limitations of the SFX technology that george had at his disposal at the time and perhaps poor wire work. Further, it helped to move the story forward.

Jedi super speed happens so fast that I totally missed it in the movie and does nothing to move the story forward.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

How does the ridiculously fast jump move the story forward? It's as important as the superspeed- a momentary bit of effects work as a treat for people that look closely. You're just rejecting it because it feels bad/comes from the prequels. That's not really tenable in the frame you're arguing from. I also don't know why you have to rationalize it while simultaneously complaining about the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing, which is built upon these rationalizations. Maybe it's not something that's that important to rationalize, especially when you didn't even see it in the film when you watched it.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Bakustra wrote:How does the ridiculously fast jump move the story forward?
Assuming it's not shoddy wire work, (and it didn't strike me as being "ridiculously' fast btw), I would attribute it to how lukes physical abilities have improved as a part of his training on dagobah.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Loup Garou wrote:
Assuming it's not shoddy wire work, (and it didn't strike me as being "ridiculously' fast btw), I would attribute it to how lukes physical abilities have improved as a part of his training on dagobah.
Soooo, then super speed is just part of the advancement of Jedi training and abilities. Thanks.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

Elfdart wrote:Do you do that with the Jedi dream sequences? I mean, you only see it in ROTS.
The dream sequences are an extension of Jedi being able to have visions of the future, which was already established. Also, I believe they occurred more than once, and even if not onscreen, Anakin was supposed to have been having these dreams about Padme for some time. He also had dreams of this nature about his mother in AotC. He actually spoke about some of them to Padme, IIRC, and about the others to Yoda.

In comparison, the "superspeed" only occurs once maybe twice, with the Luke thing), is so brief that it is entirely possible to miss it, and is never remarked upon or hinted at again. "Special effects goof" is the simplest explanation, kind of like when explosions don't perfectly match up with blaster bolt impacts.

Lagmonster wrote: Except that's not how suspension of disbelief works. Suspension of disbelief tells us that at that moment, they were going super-fast, because that's what we're shown. It also suggests that if they didn't later on, it's because they were either foolish by not doing so or because something we couldn't see prevented them from doing so.

But a lot of RLM's criticism of the prequels is criticizing them as films, which means also criticizing the effectiveness and competence of Lucas and his crew as director and screenwriters, etc. The kind of 100% SOD you seem to be talking about basically sounds like taking the visuals in the movies as absolute gospel, and I can see how that might be useful in vs. debates and the like, but that's not what this is about. Lucas and his team aren't perfect, and we should be allowed to point out instances where the simplest and most likely explanation is that they simply goofed or were careless.
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Havok wrote:
Loup Garou wrote:
Soooo, then super speed is just part of the advancement of Jedi training and abilities. Thanks.
No, It's an editing mistake.

Seriously, mistakes happen during film making and sometimes the editors don't catch it before it goes on to the big screen. It's not even that bad a mistake really.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Loup Garou wrote:Wow Jimmy. I've been on a few message boards in my day and you have got to be one of the most litigious posters I've ever seen.
If you have something to actually contribute to this thread, then post it. No one needs your spammy little posts like this. And in case you forgot, I'm not the one using some idiot's slanderous accusation of George Lucas being a pedophile to make some kind of point here. That was the most ridiculous and sickening thing posted in this thread...yet I'm somehow one of the worst people you've ever seen.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Loup Garou wrote:
Havok wrote: Soooo, then super speed is just part of the advancement of Jedi training and abilities. Thanks.
No, It's an editing mistake.
Seriously, mistakes happen during film making and sometimes the editors don't catch it before it goes on to the big screen. It's not even that bad a mistake really.
Err, excuse me. How exactly do you know it was an editing mistake, if you could be bothered to elaborate? Because as far as I know, that's exactly what the sequence was supposed to look like.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TK421 wrote:
I said that Stoklasa was acting like a scumbag because I actually had a specific example of him making unsupported attacks on someone else's character and professional relationships.
He was giving his opinion. If saying you think George Lucas' employees have terrified looks on their faces is now what qualifies a human being as a scumbag, the scumbag bar has been significantly lowered.
Please. If that was his honest opinion...then Stoklasa is a paranoid conspiracy weirdo like I said he sounded like. Stoklasa stated that he saw "terror" and "mistrust" on the faces of perfectly normal looking LFL employees. He put words in McCallum's mouth and made statements about what the guy was supposedly thinking. He kept making comments about what was going on during the production, which he played no part in. Stoklasa insinuated a lot of things then covered his ass by saying he wasn't there, after already painting an ugly picture for everyone. That was one of his standard tactics throughout the review.

It's so funny how Stoklasa has a free pass to talk crap about Lucas and and his employees...but me pointing out what he's doing makes me horrible and mean in some people's eyes here. Almost makes me believe that certain people signed up on this message board for the sole purpose of defending Stoklasa...

Really, stop making excuses for his behavior. Especially when these personal insults were hardly even necessary for making a movie review.

Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Loup Garou wrote:Wow Jimmy. I've been on a few message boards in my day and you have got to be one of the most litigious posters I've ever seen.
If you have something to actually contribute to this thread, then post it. No one needs your spammy little posts like this. And in case you forgot, I'm not the one using some idiot's slanderous accusation of George Lucas being a pedophile to make some kind of point here. That was the most ridiculous and sickening thing posted in this thread...yet I'm somehow one of the worst people you've ever seen.
First off:
li·ti·gious
   /lɪˈtɪdʒəs/ Show Spelled[li-tij-uhs] Show IPA
–adjective
of or pertaining to litigation.
excessively or readily inclined to litigate: a litigious person.
inclined to dispute or disagree; argumentative.
Use litigious in a Sentence
See images of litigious
Search litigious on the Web
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin lītigiōsus contentious, equivalent to lītigi ( um ) a quarrel ( see litigant, -ium) + -ōsus -ous

—Related forms
li·ti·gious·ly, adverb
li·ti·gious·ness, li·ti·gi·os·i·ty  /lɪˌtɪdʒiˈɒsɪti/ Show Spelled[li-tij-ee-os-i-tee] Show IPA, noun
non·li·ti·gious, adjective
non·li·ti·gious·ly, adverb
non·li·ti·gious·ness, noun
un·li·ti·gious, adjective
un·li·ti·gious·ly, adverb
un·li·ti·gious·ness, noun

—Synonyms
3. contentious, disputatious, quarrelsome.
I say you are litigous because you spent an incredible amount of time studying a review you disagreed with and then proceded to attack virtually every point that was made by RLM conceding basicly nothing to the reviewer. Further, when people point out the flaws in your rebuttal you procede to argue each and every single point that they raise.