Ideal Giant Robot Pilot

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who would you choose to pilot a giant robot?

Age 13-17: Teen who found himself in the cockpit, against his will, while a battle rages around him. Lacks self-confidence, often accused of being a whiny bitch. Archetype: Kira Yamato, Ikari Shinji, Ray Amuro.
5%
Age 13-17: Teen who jumps into the cockpit, at his own free will, while a battle rages around him. Hot-headed, will beat up anyone who accuses him of being a whiny bitch. Archetype: Kabuto Koji, Nagare Ryoma.
2%
Age 18-25: Fresh out of a military academy, he enlisted, and wasn't drafted. Lacks confidence in his abilities, obeys orders with minimal questions. Archetype: Ichijo Hikaru.
No votes
Age 18-25: Fresh out of a military academy, he enlisted, and wasn't drafted. Overconfident, he tries to "show up" those giving orders he doesn't agree with, with reckless feats of courage. Archetype: Shinn Asuka, Luke Skywalker.
2%
Age 26+: Combat veteran, he's cocky, but with good reason. He doesn't act recklessly- to him, each risk taken is the "same shit, different day." Tends to babysit younger pilots. Archetype: Dwayne Hunter, Roy Fokker.
76%
Age 26+: Combat veteran, he's a bitter, cynical lone wolf. Having experienced tragedy, he tends to shun personal contacts, and is never happy with "babysitting" younger pilots. Archetype: Solid Snake.
7%
Age unknown: Bred specifically to pilot a giant robot, and- being an enigma to others- is accused of being a robot himself. Likely a child soldier, and extremely awkward in "normal life." Archetype: Sagara Sousuke, Heero Yuy.
7%

Total votes: 55

lance
Jedi Master

Re: Ideal Giant Robot Pilot

Post by lance »

It might have to do with Armuro, I hear he's pretty popular
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

And extremely capable, once he got some experience: while in the initial battle a Zaku pilot could swat him around and he survived them (and Char) only thanks to his robot armor, after a very little while he could give Char's Zaku a run for his money, and after the last battle with Ramba Ral he was good enough to utterly kick the collective asses of the Three Black Stars (infamous for easily destroying anyone unlucky enough to get near their way), and at the battle of A Baoa Qu he could easily wipe out a dozen enemy MS at once without even trying (I recall he actually did it once, before destroying the two Musai and the Chiway that launched them) and managed to defeat Char, who by then was flying a superior robot.
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

I voted 1 and explained my reasoning earlier. I absolutely hate Amuro Ray from Gundam. At first I thought it was the English voice actor, but I watched the entirety of original through Zeta/ZZ/Char's counterattack subbed and still found the character offensive. Kamille Bidan is the same thing - if he's category 1, I hated him completely. I guess it's because I do like cat1 the most, but not when the character in question is a prick.

You did ask
Sidewinder wrote:Who do you want to protect your homes and families from the Monster-of-the-Week?
, though. Who in their right mind wants the whiny guy who is prone to AWOL and other issues to be their defender?

I specifically responded toward who I'd want as my main character instead. The more weaknesses a character has*, the more interesting the story is. Category 5 is less appealing because those characters tend to have few weaknesses and are only good for moving the actual main character along most of the time. I'm not the kind of person who just watches robot anime because it has robots going pew pew and ROBOT PUNCH and wow that was awesome because kablam. For example, I enjoyed Macross Plus, but the most appealing character was basically the female protagonist and the AI subplot because the main character was cat 5. I think I hit the same thing with a later Macross movie or something, but I struggled with the same cat 5 type of MC so much that I don't remember the anime at all. Come to think of it, wasn't that Roy Focker himself? Macross Zero maybe?

*-there is a limit to this, but my ceiling toward "whiny" is obviously much higher than other peoples'.

I guess above all, I do not look for a "capable" pilot. I do not want an idealized character. The character's kill count and ability to kill huge swaths of the enemy is irrelevant. I want a character who gives a crap that they're killing people and who doesn't spend all of his free time chasing women.

But to answer the question in the above quote, I'd want the main behind the scenes villain as my defender because his or her homeland is a lot less likely to be the epicenter of conflict if it wasn't already blown up before the story started. If nothing else, I can get the hell out of dodge with a little more breathing room.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

HeadCreeps wrote:For example, I enjoyed Macross Plus, but the most appealing character was basically the female protagonist and the AI subplot because the main character was cat 5. I think I hit the same thing with a later Macross movie or something, but I struggled with the same cat 5 type of MC so much that I don't remember the anime at all. Come to think of it, wasn't that Roy Focker himself? Macross Zero maybe?
Maross Zero is a five episode OVA. Roy Focker appeared as a mentor-ish supporting character. I wouldn't really say that the main character is the same kind of casual combat veteran though. His problem was just being a bit bland. I agree with you fully about Macross Plus though. I hated, hated, HATED the lame Top Gun reject that served as the protagonist. His foil and romantic rival was at least slightly interesting.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

HeadCreeps wrote:For example, I enjoyed Macross Plus, but the most appealing character was basically the female protagonist and the AI subplot because the main character was cat 5. I think I hit the same thing with a later Macross movie or something, but I struggled with the same cat 5 type of MC so much that I don't remember the anime at all. Come to think of it, wasn't that Roy Focker himself? Macross Zero maybe?
Isamu Dyson isn't a 5, he's a 4. A reckless showoff with a complete disdain for authority who eventually got parcelled off to be a test pilot so that his recklessness couldn't fuck up and get people killed in a real combat situation but his piloting skills could still be put to use.
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

Haha, yeah. Herp derp and all that. When I glanced at the options, I skipped right over that since I saw the guy as a combat veteran.

Similarly, Kamille Bidan is probably 2 moreso than a 1. "Kamille is a man's name, and I'm a man!" He's still a whiny bitch, though.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]