Earthquake off Japan

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dargos
Jedi Knight

Re: Earthquake off Japan

Post by Dargos »

weemadando wrote:Watching the Beeb coverage on SBS. It's bad. Oil refineries are severely damaged and burning, but at least they're saying that the nuke plants haven't been breached.

They might not have been breached, but there ARE problems being reported.

Emergency declared at Nuke Plants
TOKYO — Japan's top government spokesman and local administrators say emergencies have been issued at two nuclear power plants over cooling-system fears in the wake of Friday's giant earthquake.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano says the nuclear power plant in Fukushima developed a mechanical failure in the system needed to cool the reactor after it was shut down after the earthquake. He said there was no radiation leak.

Edano said the measure was a precaution and there was no radiation leak at the Fukushima No. 1 power plant. He said the facility was not in immediate danger.

Meanwhile, an administrator at the Tohoku Electric Power Co's Onagawa facility said the process for the cooling reactor is "not going as planned," adding that "nuclear emergency situation" has been declared. The company asked people nearby to stay calm, the official TV news channel NHK reported.

Japan earthquake Live Blog: Latest updates on aftermath of Japan quake Updated 19 minutes ago 3/11/2011 11:36:08 AM +00:00 Emergency declared at Japan nuke plants Updated 35 minutes ago 3/11/2011 11:20:01 AM +00:00 Hawaii, U.S. West Coast prepare for tsunami Massive earthquake hits Japan A fire broke out at the plant following the quake, the Kyodo news agency said. Prior to the Kyodo report, the company had said it had not received information on whether there had been any problems at the plant after the disaster.

At the Fukushima facility, the site of a Tokyo Electric Power nuclear power plant, a spokeman on Friday that the plant's reactor cooling system was functioning, denying an earlier report that it was malfunctioning. Miyagi prefecture, where it is located, was one of the areas worst hit by the tsunami.

Kyodo also reported that an emergency core-cooling unit had been activated at the Fukushima nuclear plant, without giving further details.

Get updates Follow us on Twitter
Get the latest updates on this story and others from @breakingnews.
Text NEWS to 67622 to receive mobile alerts The four Japanese nuclear power plants closest to the epicenter of the quake have been safely shut down, the United Nations atomic watchdog said Friday.

The quake struck just under 250 miles northeast of Tokyo, the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was followed by more than a dozen aftershocks, one as strong as 7.1.

Earlier, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the quake caused "major damage" in northeastern Japan, but that nuclear power facilities in the area were not damaged and there was no radiation leakage.

Live Blog: Latest updates on aftermath of Japan quake
Edited because my link was fucked and posted article
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

:(

I remember the 2003 Tsunami all too well. I hope the damage is nowhere near as serious.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I assume you mean 2004 Tsunami.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I hate saying this, but have there been any preliminary death tolls?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

50 was last I heard on Reuters... Unfortunately, that is extremely preliminary.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

The Japanese news said 34 confirmed deaths but at this point anything is very preliminary. The hospitals are overflowing with people in various states of injury so it could easily be twice or even three times that by tomorrow.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Glad to hear you're OK, Todeswind, I hope everyone else we have around the Pacific Rim will also be OK.

If there's one small, teeny blessing about the modern world, people at some distance from the epicenter can see how bad it is and thus less likely to argue with evacuation, and the Boxing Day Tsunami alerted the world to what a serious tsunami looks like. That may help limit loss of life outside of Japan, even if there's absolutely nothing that can be done to stop the waves.

From the BBC, a graphic

Estimated time of tsunami arrival, GMT
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

They have an oil refinery burning. And 100 fires nationwide.
A fire at one of their reactors is reported, but allegedly under control. They gave a nuclear warning, but claim no leaks.
edit: they now say they can't cool it anymore and have evacuated 3000 people - Fukushime reactor
There are reports that a military base has sunk(? Island base?)

300 reported dead in Sendai.

A train is reported missing in Miyagi, as well as a ship with 100 people on board

The waves should be hitting Haway any minute
Last edited by LaCroix on 2011-03-11 08:57am, edited 1 time in total.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

BBC news is saying the Japanese Police have found 200+ bodies in the Tsunami zone already. That's directly from the TV, not much about it on the website yet. It'll be bad one. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to face those waves we've seen from that helicopter footage on the ground :cry: .
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Continuing my life-feed from several news channels:

The oil refinery fire in ichihara is out of control.
Sendai is said to be razed... Chemical factory is on fire.
Some skyscrapers in Tokio have allegedly collapsed.
Chiba: Excplosion in chemical site.

Ivate was hit hard a couple hundred houses are gone

at least 20 aftershocks have been counted, still occurring

Forecast for California - 7 feet waves.
Last edited by LaCroix on 2011-03-11 09:10am, edited 1 time in total.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Now getting multiple sources reporting on the local news; 200-300 bodies found along a Sendai beach. Sourced to Japanese police and semi-official news stations.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I've been hearing reports of 10,000 missing between the quake and tsunami. Clearly, this is a horrific thing for Japan and the news and injury/death/damage tolls are going to rise for awhile.

Outside of Japan, reports of damage have been minimal. The Phillipines are reporting no damage. The low-lying island nations in the Pacific, of course, have the problem of little high ground, but no news of disaster have been reported - I'm hoping that's the actual case and not simply lack of communications from these islands. Apparently people are heeding the warnings to get to higher ground. A tsunmai wave "only" a meter high is still nothing to fool with. As I write this, it should be hitting the west coast of the continental US in about 15 minutes (unless my time zone conversion is off). Here's hoping most of the force has been expended already.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

We're actually still an hour away from the waves hitting the west coast.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ah, well, more time to get to higher ground, get settled, and watch it all live on the TV and internet.

So far, the largest wave in Hawaii was reported as third in the series, at an estimated 7 feet in height and reaching about 75 feet inland (just over 2 meters high and 22-23 meters inland). Some property damage is expected, but they're hoping for no loss of life.

Meanwhile - the aftershocks in Japan would qualify as a major devastating shake on their own, around 7 on the Richter scale. The Japanese build with earthquakes in mind, but I'm not sure anyone really builds typical houses and small shops to a standard that can hold up to this sort of thing. Offers of aid are coming in from around the world. I don't think it's going to sink in for awhile just how devastating this will be for Japan, as the damage is still occurring even at a lower level (except for the fires - the fires seem to be doing quite well.)

Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

My friend living in Sendai is OK... well not OK but not dead, and that's something. It looks like I managed not to lose anyone from this fiasco so far.

On a related note Google has published a people finder to help in locating lost family members. http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

The official Kyodo news agency is reporting that about 88,000 people are missing.

Death toll from Japan quake rises to 137

EDIT: Fukushima nuclear plant under control!!!!!
Last edited by Todeswind on 2011-03-11 11:01am, edited 2 times in total.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

:cry: I am so sorry to hear that. This is just terrible. I hope the death toll doesn't hit six digits, it seems certain to hit five. Japan will recover from this, the land that gave us the word "tsunami" has obviously coped with them before, and earthquakes, and fire, and devastation but it will take them a long time, even with help.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Good news that the nuke plant is under control, Japan's got enough to worry about without that shit going down.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So far no major damage in Hawaii. They did get waves as high as 7ft.

Yahoo Canada
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Note that that's only 137 declared deaths so far.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Good news that the nuke plant is under control, Japan's got enough to worry about without that shit going down.
Hopefully the other four they're shutting down will go more smoothly.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

They have just redacted their figure of 88,000 but have not given a replacement figure. The actual figure is very unclear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTJy5mW ... dded#at=62
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Kyodo news agency is now offering the figure of 137 confirmed killed and 531 reported missing.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Videos from the BBC never load for me. Still, tsunami, earthquakes, now a whirlpool? (same as a maelstrom?)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!