Earthquake off Japan

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Re: Earthquake off Japan

Post by Dartzap »

From what I've been reading, both via the live streams and on other forums, the Great Foreigner Exodus is likely to start becoming very apparent soon. Whilst I can understand not wanting to be near a leaky nuclear plant, the added loss of income from over-seas workers is surely going to make Japan's recovery all the harder. Not sure I could do that, personally, if I had been living there for years.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Facebook has started a page to allow people to get in contact with missing persons.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=159815784072458
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Apparently one of the JASDF bases was hit, there's a video showing lots of fighter-jets which look pretty banged up. (2min mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIYG5GctqCQ
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

The Japanese PM said it was the worst crisis Japan has faced since WWII. And with a potential death toll of 10,000, it's sickeningly true. Japan probably hasn't faced a similarly large death toll since the firebombings.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Thanas wrote:"Those damm Krauts deserve to be hit by a Tusami-earhtquake for nuking Pearl harbor"
:banghead:
I was wondering when these assholes were going to start up that tune. Fuckers... :finger:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Spyder wrote:Various businesses down here have been pulling similar stunts with the Christchurch earthquake. Using loss of life to promote your brand is always extremely poor taste.

On another note:
Facebook idiots having trouble letting go of Pearl Harbor.

This kind of shit stopped surprising me a long time ago, but somehow people find new ways to disappoint.
I'm betting most of those internet tough-guys are 20-somethings who haven't a fucking clue about warfare. I know actual WWII veterans who don't like the Japanese based on their experiences in said war, but oddly none of them are gloating over this. Maybe it's having been there and seen what real devastation looks like, but those guys aren't the ones I hear saying that sort of thing. They may not like the Japanese, but they don't wish them all dead, either, or subjected to multiple disasters.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if some of those old vets ask me for a collection for disaster relief when I seem them at Tuesday's RC indoor fly-in. I wish I could give something, but right now I haven't enough for myself much less anyone else, as ashamed as I am to admit it. Maybe I can scrape up a few bucks at least, it's horrible. I want to FIX THIS and the brutal fact is that much of this just can't be fixed, some stuff is permanently broken and all too many people forever gone.

And my spouse has been trying to contact an old friend of his who moved to Japan. Three days, and no one picks up the phone, no response from e-mail, nothing....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Annnnnd now Shinmoedake volcano has started erupting again. Talk about a giant piss take.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Dartzap wrote:Annnnnd now Shinmoedake volcano has started erupting again. Talk about a giant piss take.
I'm curious if this is mere coincidence or a result of the quake's seismic disruption.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

JME2 wrote:
Dartzap wrote:Annnnnd now Shinmoedake volcano has started erupting again. Talk about a giant piss take.
I'm curious if this is mere coincidence or a result of the quake's seismic disruption.
It's very likely that this is a result of the earthquake - earthquakes often "clear up" old magma paths or create new ones. It could also be the other way round - the vulcano had been active since january IIRC, accumulating a lava dome and having some minor eruptions. However, given the magnitude of the earthquake, this is unlikely (as far as i know at least).

Note that this volcano is in another region of Japan, so it will mostly affect a region that has so far been unaffected. Let's hope it's not too bad.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

After the local emergency services and military have gotten more organised, with things starting to settle down, they're starting to count the dead and they say it could top 10, 000 fatalties. :cry:
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A quick Google reveals that that volcano started erupting in January of this year, so maybe it's more a matter of someone noticing hey, there's a volcano rumbling, than anything connected to this recent series of quakes and waves.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Broomstick wrote:
A quick Google reveals that that volcano started erupting in January of this year, so maybe it's more a matter of someone noticing hey, there's a volcano rumbling, than anything connected to this recent series of quakes and waves.
It (supposedly) went quiet at the end of january. So it looks like this is a fresh Eruption.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Spyder wrote:Various businesses down here have been pulling similar stunts with the Christchurch earthquake. Using loss of life to promote your brand is always extremely poor taste.

On another note:

This kind of shit stopped surprising me a long time ago, but somehow people find new ways to disappoint.

Considering how fucking actively Japan tries to deny its WW2 history I see no fucking problem telling them to go to hell over it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

15 min HD footage, takes time to load but damn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3K1w7u04Zo
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

On another note:

Considering how fucking actively Japan tries to deny its WW2 history I see no fucking problem telling them to go to hell over it.
A sentiment a great many people outside america felt after 9/11 too, so I suppose this world deserves what it gets in sum total misery when we're done accounting for it, eh.

The nuke plant issues are still not winding down,3rd reactor now. If we're going to be focusing on the impact of this on nuke plants in general in the world, it's probably both reassuring and terrifying that China is forging ahead regardless. This is the same country that gave us melanin poisoning from milk. A bullet to the head seems like almost too merciful a punishment for whichever sap gets the blame if they ever have a negligence induced accident, eh?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

So since this is classified as a level 4 incident the following is claimed:
Impact on People and the Environment
Minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls.
At least one death from radiation.

Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
Fuel melt or damage to fuel ­resulting in more than 0.1% release of core inventory.
Release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high ­probability of significant public exposure.
Has anyone died from radiation yet? The only death I know of was the crane operator and that wasn't radiation.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Getting stupid with atoms tends to have its own reward, as there has been a significant toll on both researchers and plant workers over the decades. The real tragedy is that a significant accident all to easily hurts those who just happen to be nearby.

ETA: It is possible that someone received a lethal dose but not of a level to cause immediate death. THAT IS STRICTLY SPECULATION IN RESPONSE THE POSTED QUESTION - so far as I know that has NOT happened!

erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Big Orange wrote:After the local emergency services and military have gotten more organised, with things starting to settle down, they're starting to count the dead and they say it could top 10, 000 fatalties. :cry:
Well, duh. There was honestly no point in reporting or paying attention to three-figure death counts.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

They're expecting it to top 10k in Miyagi prefecture alone. And apparently they're finding mostly bodies in Sendai, not survivors, and there are other towns/cities equally hard hit they simply haven't gotte to yet. It could hit six figures though I most sincerely hope it does not.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

His Divine Shadow wrote:So since this is classified as a level 4 incident the following is claimed:
Impact on People and the Environment
Minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls.
At least one death from radiation.

Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
Fuel melt or damage to fuel ­resulting in more than 0.1% release of core inventory.
Release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high ­probability of significant public exposure.
Has anyone died from radiation yet? The only death I know of was the crane operator and that wasn't radiation.
And TMI was a level Five, but no one died. You can't just use that one line, or assume that just because something reaches one part of the criteria for a particular level, doesn't mean it reaches all of the criteria.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Well I've seen people with anti nuclear slants use it like that, hence bringing it up.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

So they've had an earthquake, they've had tsunamis, they've had fires (and now a fucking volcano)... All they need now is a hurricane and some twit singer to get half the country to fall in love with him and they're gonna raise Captain Planet.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Mr. Coffee wrote:So they've had an earthquake, they've had tsunamis, they've had fires (and now a fucking volcano)... All they need now is a hurricane and some twit singer to get half the country to fall in love with him and they're gonna raise Captain Planet.
Not to mention a giant lizard awakening in the volcano.
Broomstick wrote:They're expecting it to top 10k in Miyagi prefecture alone. And apparently they're finding mostly bodies in Sendai, not survivors, and there are other towns/cities equally hard hit they simply haven't gotte to yet. It could hit six figures though I most sincerely hope it does not.Seriously,
Christ. :shock:
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

With all the horrific examples on Facebook of people comparing this tragedy to Pearl Harbour, I think of this:
Stupidity oppressed.
---------------------------------------------
Now moving onto the the main issue itself. It is a sad reality that this will impact on the construction and general maintainable of nuclear power plans. Already there have been protests in England and other places. I do wonder how such concerns on nuclear powerplants will affect their future construction.
Last edited by Thanas on 2011-03-13 05:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't do this again.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Blue, you are the fucking man...

Page 10 snipe.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...