Earthquake off Japan

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Re: Earthquake off Japan

Post by Sky Captain »

Bluewolf wrote: Now moving onto the the main issue itself. It is a sad reality that this will impact on the construction and general maintainable of nuclear power plans. Already there have been protests in England and other places. I do wonder how such concerns on nuclear powerplants will affect their future construction.
I guess it will be pretty bad especially if some more japanese reactors melts down. nearly everyone will be screaming how unsafe nuclear reactors are and how Japan narrowly avoided huge nuclear disaster. Good luck getting licences for new reactors in western world after this fiasco. Instead utility companies will keep already built reactors in service well past their designed lifetime thus making another serious breakdown more likely and build more fossil fueled plants to meet the rising demand.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

What pisses me off is that this should really be a testament to the safety of nuclear power plants. A couple of 50-year-old facilities took what amounts to a direct hit from the fifth largest earthquake in recorded history (and the largest in the history of the most seismically active country on Earth), followed by a tsunami which wiped out most of the coastal settlements, and the main issue was whether they could maintain the viability of the reactors. They ended up losing the fight to save the reactors, and so they'll have to be shut down, but nothing happened--there was no substantial release of radioactive material and no one has died or likely will die from radiation. In the meantime, there's a terrible disaster in which many thousands of people died, hundreds of thousands of people were displaced and lost their homes and livelihoods, and Japan is going to have to spend tens or hundreds of billions of dollars and many years to recover, and that gets second billing in the press to a nuclear accident that might, maybe be bad.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

On facebook this morning.
Japan Earthquake Information - Updated Mar 14, 8:05AM

Scheduled Blackout
There will be a scheduled blackout (power outage) starting the morning of 3/14 in Tokyo, Tochigi, Ibaraki, Gunma, Chiba, Kanagawa, Saitama, Yamanashi, and Shizuoka.
Areas will be divided into 5 groups and each group will experience about 3 hours of power outage.

Please refer to the TEPCO Homepage (as of now, the list is only provided in Japanese) to find out which group you are in and what time the power outage will occur in your group.

Train companies have announced that there will be irregular operation, including out of service hours.

JR | Tokyo Metro | Toei Subway/Bus | Tokyu | Odakyu | Keio | Tobu | Keikyu | Keisei

Major out of services are: Tokaido Line (all day), Yokosuka Line (all day), Yokohama Line (all day), Odakyu will only operate between Kyodo to Shinjyuku (all day), Keio will only operate between Chofu and Shinjyuku (during morning and evening rush hours).

The Facebook website will not be affected by this blackout.

About this box: Facebook uses this box to provide information to foreigners and visitors in Japan for the duration of the current crisis.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I myself am a bit confused on the radiation leakake though: some steam escaped and all, but how large (also, how much) and how dangerous material are we talking about?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

To be honest, reports are a bit conflicting as to what, exactly, happened at the plant. No one received enough radiation to be in imminent danger of death, and so far as anyone knows, no one has even gotten in although some workers are being monitored and checked.

The only injuries reported so far - and there were a few - involved injuries from the quake. (Last I heard - although wasn't there something about a fall from a crane?)

It IS serious enough to require evacuation of civilians, particularly pregnant women and children, and to issue potassium iodide tablets, but that is an entirely appropriate reaction to release of radiation from a nuclear facility, even if the radiation levels aren't particularly high.

Some of the reports of peak radiation levels were high enough to cause minor to moderate illness in a short time frame IF you were standing on top of the source for 5-10 hours, but nobody was doing that and, as I said, it was at peak, not a sustained level.

So yes, it was an actual meltdown event and radiation was released. It was most emphatically NOT a Chernobyl, everyone should be able to go back home after a few days or weeks, and most likely the only people at any real risk of harm are the people who were working at the plant - and even they are unlikely experience anything more than mild radiation sickness, which they should completely recover from in a week at most, if not simply a couple days.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Breaking:

A tsunami alert has been issued to various places in Japan. They are said to reach about 5m. People are advised to go to higher grounds ASAP.

Fox New's blurb had it being 10m high.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

BBC Live Feed:

Apparently Reactor No 3 at Fukushima has exploded (another hydrogen blast)

0227: There were two explosions at Reactor 3, the operator Tepco says - AFP.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

This just keeps getting worse. Another tsunami? Christ this is bad. And another explosion at the power plant. Damn. I wish there was something I could do to help the situation besides donating to the organisations helping the survivors.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

0229: An ashen-faced Japanese quake monitor is live on Japanese TV right now saying no tsunami has been detected.
0231: No data to suggest a tsunami several metres in height, the monitor adds.
0234: Some 2,000 bodies were found today on two shores in Miyagi Prefecture, 1,000 on the Ojika Peninsula and 1,000 at Minamisanriku - Japanese news agency Kyodo.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

At least the second tidal wave was a false alarm.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

What could have triggered another tsunammi? Another quake? But wouldn't they mention that, too?

You realize, of course, that if the past few days had been the plot of a horror movie it would have been dismissed as implausible, right?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That's good, if only the second explosion was a false alarm as well.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Broomstick wrote:What could have triggered another tsunammi? Another quake? But wouldn't they mention that, too?

You realize, of course, that if the past few days had been the plot of a horror movie it would have been dismissed as implausible, right?
This does go to show just how much more twisted and stranger real life is compared to fiction, indeed...
Lanika
Redshirt

Post by Lanika »

After earth and water, here comes fire.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2 ... lders.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.s ... rmath.html
I know volcanic activities are common around there, but it just seems that they're just not getting a chance to take a breath after the events in the past few days.

EDIT: Woops, sorry for the repeat. Skipped the part where this had already been spoken of..
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

On the nuclear thing - on another message board there was a link to an article discussing it that seems fairly easy for the layperson to understand, and isn't hysterical or anti-nuclear (it's actually a pro-nuclear site). It's pretty long, so I'll just provide a link

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There is a report of six workers injured at the #3 Fukushima reactor. The new explosion is believed to be another hydrogen explosion. The estimated 600 people left within 20 km of the plant have been advised to go inside their homes or other buildings and stay there.

Three workers from Fukushima are reportedly showing signs of radiation exposure, though no word on what symptoms or how severe. These are people who were inside the plants and very close to the radiation sources. Beyond the plant boundaries it is believed the radiation levels never reached a level that would make people sick.

Meanwhile, in the rest of Japan, the main concern is getting basic humanitarian supplies to people - food, water, clothing, etc. Also, finding survivors. Of course, folks can put up with lack of a lot of things for a couple days, but after those few days conditions will deteriorate further if the basics can't be supplied.

The government is publishing plans to have rolling blackouts as the surviving power plants (of all sorts) are not up to the task of providing all needed energy'

And, for the Stating the Obvious Award - the media is reporting that the Japese stock market "plunged" today and the quake/tsunami/quake/nuclear meltdown/volcano sequence has "seriously impacted" Japan's economy. Oh, you think? :roll: Of course, right now there are a lot of people more concerned with where food and water are coming from the next day than how their stock market is doing.

Really, I hope the disasters stop coming. This is just... just... over the top. And an uncomfortable reminder that the universe is a hostile place and for all our technology there are just some things we can't stop once they start happening.

ETA: Um... that volcano and its spewing of ash, smoke, etc. isn't going to interfere with airborne relief operations, is it?
Last edited by Broomstick on 2011-03-14 12:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

For those of you who want to help with recovery efforts this is one group I recommend.

http://www.2hj.org/
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Nuclear issues aside, the shear scale of the cleanup everywhere else seems insurmountable, just from the video we're getting on the news. Ruptured gas lines, oils spills, burning oil, the various fluids that are sure to be leaking from the thousands of wrecked vehicles, sewage, other spilled chemicals, the debris and mud in general. Mud, mud, mud everywhere.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Not just mud, but horribly contaminated toxic mud. Several hundred square miles of verdant farmland, has essentially been covered in several feet of muck that has absorbed the house-hold pollutants and toxins of Thousands of houses along the way. The region of Japan is going to be an environment disaster for over a decade.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Not just mud, but horribly contaminated toxic mud. Several hundred square miles of verdant farmland, has essentially been covered in several feet of muck that has absorbed the house-hold pollutants and toxins of Thousands of houses along the way. The region of Japan is going to be an environment disaster for over a decade.
What is REALLY scary about this is that a lot of that land was previously farmland.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The tsunami false alarm was from a very strong offshore aftershock that appeared to trigger a landslide, but the collapse wasn't the right kind.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

It feels odd to be living so normally when most of the country is un upheaval.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/photonews/arti ... &id=105398
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

This stuff is going to be on Greeepeace posters for the next decade I guess :(

Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Apparently according to the 'typical distribution of aftershocks', a magnitude 8 aftershock over the next few days is 'likely'. There is a risk that buildings which were weakened by the first quake may be collapsed by the 'main aftershock'. This will only cause another tsunami if the sea floor moves in a certain fashion.
SMH wrote: NORTH-EASTERN Japan can expect another monster earthquake large enough to trigger a tsunami within days, the head of the Australian Seismological Centre says.

The director, Kevin McCue, said there had been more than 100 smaller quakes since Friday, but a larger aftershock was likely.

''Normally they happen within days,'' he said. ''The rule of thumb is that you would expect the main aftershock to be one magnitude smaller than the main shock, so you would be expecting a 7.9.

''That's a monster again in its own right that is capable of producing a tsunami and more damage.''
The Australian wrote:A government official today said the country faced a nervous wait.

"There is a 70 per cent possibility that an aftershock with a magnitude of seven or more will occur" within the next three days, Takashi Yokota, director of earthquake prediction and information at the Japan Meteorological Agency, said.

"The possibility is 50 per cent" during the three days from March 16, he added, pointing out that strong aftershocks have continued since Friday's quake and tsunami.

A magnitude-7 quake is capable of destroying buildings and triggering tsunamis.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Even the aftershocks are rated at 6 or so magnitude. Bloody hell!

And according to Sky News at 0900 this morning, cooling systems at Fukishima No. 2 reactor have malfunctioned and water levels in the core are falling.

These guys just can't catch a break can they?

Oh, yes. The US Navy has said the radiation level's are perfectly safe. But they are still pulling Seventh Flet back some.