The alien invasion reasoning thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Re: The alien invasion reasoning thread

Post by Sarevok »

Eh it's a typical human pride story. A poorly written one at that.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:^That sounds like the basis for a pretty awesome story there.
I can post the follow-up he wrote. Mob of transhuman cyborgs and clones (rather than an organized army) descend on the enemy planet for revenge, and find that all is not as it seems. It reads like a totally different story, and he never finished, but it's still interesting.
Your ad here.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:Future Threat: A time traveler from their distant future told them we'd exterminate their species in a few centuries. They are trying to conquer us instead of destroying the planet from space because they can't quite bring themselves to commit genocide for something our descendants in a possible future did.
This would be awesome if the sequel actually does show us attacking them and winning in the future, because they attacked us first. Then the final book should explain why the time traveller told them to do it in the first place, and then we find out its a member of a third race who wanted us to remove their galactic rivals for them. Then they attack us and we team up with our beaten foes to kick arse. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:Future Threat: A time traveler from their distant future told them we'd exterminate their species in a few centuries. They are trying to conquer us instead of destroying the planet from space because they can't quite bring themselves to commit genocide for something our descendants in a possible future did.
This would be awesome if the sequel actually does show us attacking them and winning in the future, because they attacked us first. Then the final book should explain why the time traveller told them to do it in the first place, and then we find out its a member of a third race who wanted us to remove their galactic rivals for them. Then they attack us and we team up with our beaten foes to kick arse. :lol:
Of course its the man with a gallifreyan av who says that.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Revenge: In an alternate universe from the future, humans have ruthlessly crushed the galaxy beneath their power-fists. Now a ragtag band of fugitives sails the multiverse, destroying every early Earth they encounter.

That's all I got.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

They don't like tall people

The aliens grow to be about half our size. During a large chunk of their evolution they hunted larger animals to survive or learned to gang up on anything bigger than themselves. Thus, every attempt at face-to-face contact between humans and aliens results in them thinking of us as big violent things that might attack us while humans subconciously think of them as children or little goblins or whatever.

Eventually something happens that ticks off the aliens and they start conquering our planet to keep us from spreading to the stars. They might even go so far as to kill off the tallest humans to 'evolve' us to become a shorter and thus more advanced race.

Though the government agency involved with contacting the aliens might try hiring midgets as diplomats to deal with the aliens. Having short humans deal with the aliens seems to ease relations since it doesn't trigger the aliens instinctive fear of big things.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Since someone already mentioned the conquering just to make themselves feel superior by lording over another species, that just leaves me with an aside.

Why does everyone feel that sufficiently advanced humans are going to become machines? Conquering genetic disease and the dead ends that have cropped up in our genome would be easier and more likely than become a machine.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I could see things like cybernetic implants designed to enhance brain function, or help maintain the immune system, or basically to improve whats there already. But becoming wholly machine does not seem like a very efficient thing to do wide-scale, especially given how efficient it is to simply let the body grow itself over time. Not to mention the extreme uncanny valley phenomena that would have to be faced.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Tasoth wrote:Why does everyone feel that sufficiently advanced humans are going to become machines?
Because a machine body & brain would be more powerful and capable. No matter how much you engineer an organic body, it is going to be stuck with the limits of organic materials. And because if we don't, we'll likely be outcompeted and rendered irrelevant or extinct by our own creations eventually.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

So how exactly would a mechanical body and brain help you be more capable than we currently are? Why modify and upload a body when we can make tools far more simpler? What happens to the original organic consciousness when you make a copy to put in your machine body? (Don't tell me that won't happen. You're copying chemicals and synaptic layouts into a machine and thus just making a copy.) And why would machines out compete and drive us to extinction? You are applying the laws of nature to entities that are wholly wrought by human hands. Why would survival of the fittest and competition apply to them? Shouldn't we, as humans and potentially mechanical intelligences, be able to work around this?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Magitech singularity proponents often pretend the ability to plan against machine rebellion doesn't exist or is somehow not practical.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Aliens need pets. Humans make great pets (well, the puppies anyway. But they grow up...)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

All of existence as we know it is in fact just a set of pieces on someone's chessboard, and invading Earth is a player's idea of a strategic move.

Yes, I have been reading StarCrossed of late :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Naly
Redshirt

Post by Naly »

Fixer-Upper: The Aliens aren't vastly superior and haven't entirely mastered the process of interstellar colonization...its still a long, arduous, and expensive process that doesn't produce profitable/beneficial results for many cycles. Sure, there's a few habitable worlds in their area of the galaxy, but Earth is a real prize. The infrastructure is already set up, primitive as it is, is just a matter of upgrades and neutralizing the humans who would object. After comparing options the more viable/profitable option is a small military action as opposed to constructing a new colony from the bottom up.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Tasoth wrote:So how exactly would a mechanical body and brain help you be more capable than we currently are?
Excuse me? Something made of better materials and with a fundamentally better design is of course going to be more capable.
Tasoth wrote: Why modify and upload a body when we can make tools far more simpler?
Because you don't have tools all the time. Because tools can only do so much.
Tasoth wrote:What happens to the original organic consciousness when you make a copy to put in your machine body? (Don't tell me that won't happen. You're copying chemicals and synaptic layouts into a machine and thus just making a copy.)
That's something that has been covered in other threads; I hold with the position that you are your memories and therefore that "copy" is you. It isn't like the physical matter of our brain isn't constantly being replaced, or as if we were continuously conscious; the unbroken identity you are looking for doesn't exist.

The organic version would probably be destroyed in the process anyway, a destructive read would be simpler.
Tasoth wrote: And why would machines out compete and drive us to extinction? You are applying the laws of nature to entities that are wholly wrought by human hands. Why would survival of the fittest and competition apply to them? Shouldn't we, as humans and potentially mechanical intelligences, be able to work around this?
"Survival of the fittest" applies to artificial creations as much as it does to anything natural. And we wouldn't be able to work around them for the same reasons slugs don't take over human civilization; we would be too stupid and too limited.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Wait, so you're saying we'd be completely lost trying to understand something we designed and built from the ground up? Maybe if it was left to its own devices for a few centuries with it completely cut off from us and given its own manufacturing abilities. But if it was built on hardware and coded with languages humans made and not given the ability to easily change either one? You're seriously saying that a programmer wouldn't be able to understand the code he made? Or a computer engineer wouldn't understand the hardware he designed?
You're giving computers way too much credit here. It's very easy to lock down a system using external controls it can't manipulate, software or otherwise, AI or no.
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

There is only one reason a spacefaring race might need planets. Resorts.

Hmmm, a race fighting us for the beaches and mountains...
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Lord of the Abyss wrote: Excuse me? Something made of better materials and with a fundamentally better design is of course going to be more capable.
So, what is the better design? Is it going to be humanoid (I.E. Synthetic you) or abstract? From fiction I can pull different designs that are fundamentally better for different reasons. Also, what are these better materials and will they lead to new problems with the body? Is it going to significantly heavier and put unforeseen strain on exist architecture? How does it hold up to everyday wear and tear? You state that the new design will be better, stronger, and faster but not what makes it so.
We don't need tools all the time. I don't carry my computer with me when I'm away from it, nor a genetic sequencer or electrophoresis setup, but when I need it, it's there and I make sure of it. And tools won't be made superfluous just because we're suddenly machines.

Unless of course we become walking swiss army bots.
That's something that has been covered in other threads; I hold with the position that you are your memories and therefore that "copy" is you. It isn't like the physical matter of our brain isn't constantly being replaced, or as if we were continuously conscious; the unbroken identity you are looking for doesn't exist.

The organic version would probably be destroyed in the process anyway, a destructive read would be simpler.
If your neurons die and regrow constantly, you need to see a neurologist as soon as you can as you will make the lives of those with severe brain damage infinitely better with your contribution to science. Why? Because the neurons you are born with are the neurons you have throughout life. You do not make more, they do not under go mitosis once they've hit the full complement of neurons. Your glial cells die and reproduce, your synaptic architecture changes over time and especially during adolescents and the tail end of your teenage years, but the neurons do not increase. My consciousness is still the same one from when I started forming long term memories and most likely before.

As for the business of the copy being you, that's horse crap. The copy is a copy, you are still the meat. You are not cheating death by the duplication of your mind state because it's only your doppleganger being loosed into the world.
"Survival of the fittest" applies to artificial creations as much as it does to anything natural. And we wouldn't be able to work around them for the same reasons slugs don't take over human civilization; we would be too stupid and too limited.
If natural selection applies to everything, why do we have dogs that must be delivered via C-section? Why are there turkeys too monstrously disproportioned to survive outside of a farm? Why are astigmatisms, manic-depression, schizophrenia and a whole host of other genetic disease still active in the population? Why do those who bear them continue to live when they possess them?

The answer is we do our damnedest to buck natural selection. We apply artificial selection to everything. So why would we not limit robots so they can't become destructive?

Additionally, if machines are smarter and more unlimited than mankind, why would they even compete with us than? It'd be far easier for them to bugger off and let us either destroy ourselves or solve our own problems. They are, after all, undying.

Mecha Maniac
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

If your neurons die and regrow constantly, you need to see a neurologist as soon as you can as you will make the lives of those with severe brain damage infinitely better with your contribution to science. Why? Because the neurons you are born with are the neurons you have throughout life. You do not make more, they do not under go mitosis once they've hit the full complement of neurons
Um, hate to intrude, but your data is outdated. Growth of new neurons in adulthood is slow compared to other cell types (hence why it got overlooked until recently), but your brain is not fixed in childhood like scientists once thought. So... yeah, might want to re-evaluate your position just a tiny bit. You are, in fact, the Ship of Theseus.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
hermitbob
Redshirt

Post by hermitbob »

Tasoth wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote: Excuse me? Something made of better materials and with a fundamentally better design is of course going to be more capable.
So, what is the better design? Is it going to be humanoid (I.E. Synthetic you) or abstract? From fiction I can pull different designs that are fundamentally better for different reasons. Also, what are these better materials and will they lead to new problems with the body? Is it going to significantly heavier and put unforeseen strain on exist architecture? How does it hold up to everyday wear and tear? You state that the new design will be better, stronger, and faster but not what makes it so.
We don't need tools all the time. I don't carry my computer with me when I'm away from it, nor a genetic sequencer or electrophoresis setup, but when I need it, it's there and I make sure of it. And tools won't be made superfluous just because we're suddenly machines.

Unless of course we become walking swiss army bots.

If your neurons die and regrow constantly, you need to see a neurologist as soon as you can as you will make the lives of those with severe brain damage infinitely better with your contribution to science. Why? Because the neurons you are born with are the neurons you have throughout life. You do not make more, they do not under go mitosis once they've hit the full complement of neurons. Your glial cells die and reproduce, your synaptic architecture changes over time and especially during adolescents and the tail end of your teenage years, but the neurons do not increase. My consciousness is still the same one from when I started forming long term memories and most likely before.

As for the business of the copy being you, that's horse crap. The copy is a copy, you are still the meat. You are not cheating death by the duplication of your mind state because it's only your doppleganger being loosed into the world.
If natural selection applies to everything, why do we have dogs that must be delivered via C-section? Why are there turkeys too monstrously disproportioned to survive outside of a farm? Why are astigmatisms, manic-depression, schizophrenia and a whole host of other genetic disease still active in the population? Why do those who bear them continue to live when they possess them?

The answer is we do our damnedest to buck natural selection. We apply artificial selection to everything. So why would we not limit robots so they can't become destructive?

Additionally, if machines are smarter and more unlimited than mankind, why would they even compete with us than? It'd be far easier for them to bugger off and let us either destroy ourselves or solve our own problems. They are, after all, undying.
Case in point Therians from AT-43,

Also on topic, case in point Therians from AT-43. We are here to weaken the planet to the point where the race that seeded us can tear apart the solar system to make a BIG, HUGE, GIGANORMAS dyson sphere/habitat/spaceship.
The usual response to demons is either hug it or kill it with fire. - Purple on 40k daemons.

[twitches]English motherfucker do you speak it?- Simon_Jester to JasonB
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Can we NOT turn this into another Singularity discussion please?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

EDIT: Damn. Already posted. Feel free to delete this post.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Time War Additional:

In the far future a war is raging. Agents and timeships fighting across countless millenia. Earth just gets caught in the crossfire.

Even mroe mind-fuckingly, we may have been wiped out and restored time after time. Maybe that's what "deja vu" is :lol:
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

A great artist is doing research for a series on primitive warfare and he needs to know what fought over urban ruins of pre-spaceflight civilizations look like.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Swindle1984 wrote:Stolen from a thread on 4chan, of all places, where people got tired of "aliens are technologically/physically/socially superior to humans" and want a thread where humans are better than aliens, or at least more dangerous.
It reminds me of the plot of The Killing Star, with added tragic irony.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"