World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Zinegata »

A match like that often ends with me going "Gentlemen, we have siezed a base. That was pretty fucking ninja".
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I really despise the new westfield map. The matchmakers flaws are all too apparent on this map. If one side has more TD and heavy their side is going to sweep the top, and at the teir 4 -6 levels the match maker likes too keep it unbalanced, giving one side 3 td, an equal number of arty and no heavies to the other sides 5 td and 2 heavies. There is no way one can survive that 4 tank advantage and protect the arty long enough to even the playing field.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Can't really say yet. I haven't played Westfield enough.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Agent Sorchus wrote:I really despise the new westfield map. The matchmakers flaws are all too apparent on this map. If one side has more TD and heavy their side is going to sweep the top, and at the teir 4 -6 levels the match maker likes too keep it unbalanced, giving one side 3 td, an equal number of arty and no heavies to the other sides 5 td and 2 heavies. There is no way one can survive that 4 tank advantage and protect the arty long enough to even the playing field.
Stop protecting the arty, that's your problem. Seriously, if the arty players don't know how to shoot and scoot or how to find good cover from which to shoot from then they're useless. Don't waste perfectly good tanks protecting arty, instead use your tanks to kill other tanks and get spots on the enemy so the arty can fire on them. Don't waste TDs on arty defense either, use them to kill other tanks and TD and gain spots while staying semiconcealed (TDs are rediculously hard to spot in cover). Fuck, most arty players are about worthless in the first place, and nothing makes me heckle people in a game more than when some arty player that hasn't even managed to kill anything starts whining about needing someone to protect him. Every tank or TD you waste on protecting arty is one less tank or TD you've got to kill enemy units or secure the enemy CAP.

tl;dr: Fuck arty.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The problem is that on Westfeild there isn't really any time to go do something more productive. (In that match I was TD, and yeah I almost never camp as TD because it doesn't payoff.) The problem is that you can have matches were the entire top is given to one side thanks to matchmaker, and from the top of the cliff they are able to rain ridiculous amounts of death. The problem is simply the map design, much like Komarin being the ultimate in camping. (Though I think that they said they were going to do a revision to Komarin so it might not that way for too long.)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Agent Sorchus wrote:The problem is that on Westfeild there isn't really any time to go do something more productive. (In that match I was TD, and yeah I almost never camp as TD because it doesn't payoff.) The problem is that you can have matches were the entire top is given to one side thanks to matchmaker, and from the top of the cliff they are able to rain ridiculous amounts of death. The problem is simply the map design, much like Komarin being the ultimate in camping. (Though I think that they said they were going to do a revision to Komarin so it might not that way for too long.)
Oddly enough, I've never had that problem on Westfield, but that's mostly due to me or someone else ramrodding a plan down people's throats. If the match maker gives you a bad starting point then make up for it by better manuevering than the other guy. As far as raining death down from the cliffs, that sounds liek something arty should be taking care of (or have some of your TDs climb up and advance along the opposite ridge across the valley and pick off the guys on the cliffs). Have your mediums and faster heavies rush straight down the valley and there's a couple of buildings right on either CAP to use for cover and force the other team to come to you to dislodge you.

Also, Komarin has nothing on Caminovka. Put me in a T-29/T-32/T-34 on the berm side and I'll laugh all match long while people bound shells off my turret. Remember, when it doubt, go hull down.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Clan functionality is up as of yesterday's maintenance. I'm sticking with Tankbusters, but if you guys want to form an SDN clan, I thought I'd point it out.

As for Campinovka, I find that simply flanking along the east works well for either side, particularly in low-mid tier matches where all the players know that they can get easy kills camping the field but don't have enough experience to watch their flank very well. I got five kills including all the enemy artillery in my A-20 a couple days ago charging along the 0 line by myself while the rest of my team sat around with their thumbs up their asses staring across the field. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I figure we should put our best foot forward and give them a good reason to join the SDN clan. For that reason I'm proposing we make Coffee the head of it. Shame it seems to be a fee thing.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Talk of the upcomming American tank destroyer tree. Really long awaited, and I know most people ignore what they post on the blogs so this is a little under the radar. Still no idea when they are incomming.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

No M18 Hellcat :|
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Well the official release has been set for the 12th of April. If your account isn't inactive and you joined during the closed beta they are planning *something* to reward you with. We shall see.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

wautd wrote:No M18 Hellcat :|
:(
But it's why I wanted American TD's to begin with! The joy's of having a tin can armed with a railgun that travels at 90 kph would have been amazing.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Mr Bean wrote:
But it's why I wanted American TD's to begin with! The joy's of having a tin can armed with a railgun that travels at 90 kph would have been amazing.
It would have endangered the T54, so no dice.

Was there a soft wipe with the Clan launch, or no?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

If I remember right they were proposing a split for the full one to include a second path through the middle tiers that would include it on pretty much every full tree. So we may see it later.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Agent Sorchus wrote:The problem is simply the map design, much like Komarin being the ultimate in camping.

Komarin is a pretty nice map. Both sides can reach the other sides base pretty fast. I've won that map several times without firing a single shot. I don't like the starting positions on Westfield too. The distance between both spawning spots is simply to big. A rush by fast tanks on high ground can be very effective. Especially if the other side has no effective counters.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Highlord Laan wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
It would have endangered the T54, so no dice.

Was there a soft wipe with the Clan launch, or no?
No, there was not. Hasn't been one since before the American release, and we're certainly not going to get one at this late stage.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The M18 was too high on the proposed tech tree to be of any actual use anyway, a lot like the Panthers. I think it was tier 8 or something; a 90mm gun (on a tank destroyer, no less) is a peashooter with all the fantasy bullshit at that level.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Given how fast the Easy 8 goes and how little its armor protects it from the fantasy guns, it's practically an M-18 already anyway.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zinegata wrote:Given how fast the Easy 8 goes and how little its armor protects it from the fantasy guns, it's practically an M-18 already anyway.
Err no, the Easy 8 goes roughly 1/2 as fast as the Hellcat would go. Your taking 96 kph vs 45 kph difference and the Hellcat would "slow down" to only 60 kph while going cross crounty up a muddy hill. Hellcats were designed to a very unusual specification which is why you can race and beat Jeeps with them (Yes I've seen that happen with a restored Hellcat VS a restored Jeep which was engine limited to 90 kph)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I don't really see how you can really use that doubled speed though. A BT-7 going all-out is often little more than an uncontrolled rocket.

To me, conceptually, the Easy 8 already fits the fragile shoot and scoot role that was meant to be filled by the Hellcat in real life.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Zinegata wrote:I don't really see how you can really use that doubled speed though. A BT-7 going all-out is often little more than an uncontrolled rocket.
Hokay, you need to go back to driving school.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Zinegata wrote:I don't really see how you can really use that doubled speed though. A BT-7 going all-out is often little more than an uncontrolled rocket.
Hokay, you need to go back to driving school.
Lots of people need to go back to driving school. My sole Kamikaze medal was because an enemy BT-7 driver who rammed me and died in the process!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

There's a Kamikaze medal? :lol: I've killed people by ramming before (always with a heavy tank against something much lighter, because I'm not retarded and know how to drive) and never seen such a thing.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Rogue 9 wrote:There's a Kamikaze medal? :lol: I've killed people by ramming before (always with a heavy tank against something much lighter, because I'm not retarded and know how to drive) and never seen such a thing.
Not that hard to get when you drive a Hotchkiss H-35(Pz38H357).
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, I won my sole Kamikaze medal via Hotchkiss too. The medal's description is that you get it for killing an enemy via ramming and surviving. Apparently, you don't have to be the one to initiate the ramming.

Hilariously, I didn't even notice the BT-7 that rammed me as I was busy fending off a whole host of other tanks. It was only when I noticed that my kill count was 1 higher and saw the smoking wreckage embedded on the left side of my tank did I realize what happened.