What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Guardsman Bass »

RedImperator wrote:Finished Tom Sawyer, moving on to To Kill a Mockingbird, which I'm also greatly enjoying in the early going. I think I'm going to do a little project here--I'm going to read through the "classics" without the pressure of having to write a report or take a test about them later.
What's on your list? I've been working through Pride and Prejudice, and I've read some of the speculative fiction classics like Dracula and War of the Worlds.

I honestly can't remember much from Tom Sawyer, although I remember reading and enjoying Huck Finn.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I have the Bromillaed Trilogy on order from Amazon it's a couple weeks before it arrives.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Still Trying to get through "The Crippled God".
Skimming/re-reading "The Fountainhead", and "Memories of Ice".
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I'm re-reading The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker (after re-reading previous books over the last few months) in anticipation of his next Eärwa book coming out in April.

I'm also reading The Blade Itself for the first time.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

About to start Jay-Z's Decoded, if it doesn't keep me interested or proves a short read I'll probably get started on Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain. No idea what it's about, haven't even seen the physical book yet, but the title made me want to read it.
XXXI
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Currently on the fourth Percy Jackson novel, "The Battle of the Labyrinth". Loving the series.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Just finished False Gods. While Horus Rising gave a decent although somewhat long introduction, False Gods was the book that got the ball rolling. Every page you turned, it was getting uglier and uglier. Although I have read 40k already and knew what was to come, it is still gut-wrenching and morose to read.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've got a couple of books in the hamper, including the first of Robin Hobb's Soldier's Son series, Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker, and the first book in K.J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy. I'm reading Warbreaker now.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

On the fiction front, I'm currently reading Blood Meridian and The Road, both by Cormac McCarthy. In nonfiction, I'm reading Mark Bowden's Guests of the Ayatollah.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I've gotten round to reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Big Orange wrote:I've gotten round to reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
It's an interesting book, even with an extra-concentrated dose of Ian Malcolm stupidity.

I finished Warbreaker, which was excellent - probably the best Sanderson-verse book that I've read (meaning that it doesn't include the Wheel of Time books that he's written).

I'm divided between Robin Hobb or K.J. Parker. I'll probably go with Hobb first.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Big Orange wrote:I've gotten round to reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
Prepare to be bummed that Muldoon's awesomeness didn't translate to screen.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm reading "The Stainless Steel Rat For President" by Harry Harrison. Brilliant.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Elves in Anglo-Saxon England. It looks pretty interesting far, since it explores the A-S's use of the aelfe to express forms of sexuality, lingering paganism, and gender constructs. Maybe the argument is that elves were a bunch of scary effeminate homosexuals.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

"The command of the air" by Douhet. A piece of shit air theory treatise which gets it all wrong...
In terms of fiction, I'm reading the last of the 'Gunslinger' series by Steven King... and It's awesome, if massively depressing.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I tried Robin Hobb, getting about 70 pages into it before putting it down. I also tried Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis, and ended up putting it down by page 67 or the like. I usually try to give books 60-70 pages to catch my interest before putting them down.

I suppose K.J. Parker's up next. I'll also see if I can finish Pride and Prejudice on my Kindle, and the Kindle sample for Never Knew Another by J.M. McDermott has caught my interest as well.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Guardman Boss wrote:I tried Robin Hobb, getting about 70 pages into it before putting it down.
Which series? The Soldier Son series? If so, I don't really blame you. Easily one of her worst. Then again, I haven't read any of her books in years. It's possible I wouldn't enjoy the Farseer Trilogy if I read it again today.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
Guardman Boss wrote:I tried Robin Hobb, getting about 70 pages into it before putting it down.
Which series? The Soldier Son series? If so, I don't really blame you. Easily one of her worst. Then again, I haven't read any of her books in years. It's possible I wouldn't enjoy the Farseer Trilogy if I read it again today.
Yeah, it was the first book of the Soldier's Son series. It's not so much that it was bad, as it was that it didn't catch my interest at all, and wasn't particularly good.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Currently reading Malcom Gladwell's Outliers, quite interesting.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Half-assed reading How Rome Fell by Adrian Goldsworthy. It's entertaining, but being a history book, I can put it down without worrying about missing plot or whatever. :P

I just bought House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and am enjoying it, though it is hard to follow the copious footnotes. I think that's the intent of them, though.

I need to get back to the Enforcer omnibus by Matt Ferrer; it's a 40k omnibus about a female Arbites officer and it is really good, but I just set it down about 4 months ago and forgot to pick it back up due to life being hectic. I'm thinking of maybe reading that concurrently with House of Leaves.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Why is House in blue?
XXXI
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Phantasee wrote:Why is House in blue?
Because every instance of the word is blue in the book and I like doing it for the book. It is also minimally difficult for me to do, so I do it.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I read an excerpt from J.M. McDermott's Never Knew Another, and was blown away. I bought the e-book and plowed right through. Amazing - the guy does an excellent job of conveying how even small things like damaged clothes can be a devastating catastrophe for someone desperate to stay secret and safe. There were parts where I came close to tears.

Unfortunately, I've tried the first book of K.J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy, am at about page 67, and I can't really be arsed to go on. It's not drawing my interest at all.

I honestly don't know what to read next. Maybe I'll finish Pride and Prejudice.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
I honestly don't know what to read next. Maybe I'll finish Pride and Prejudice.
Declare by Tim Powers is the answer.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Just got Waffenschmiede DDR delivered today. So the lunch breaks for the rest of the week are covered now.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long