Fallout: What's beyond the United States?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Fallout: What's beyond the United States?

Post by FaxModem1 »

We've had a few Fallout games, and we have a pretty good idea on how the American Wasteland is shaped. But how is the rest of the world? What happened to China, Europe, Russia, the Middle East, etc? Was there nothing left after the Resource wars but before the Great War?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Fallout: What's beyond the United States?

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Britain is apparently still there, as Allistair Tenpenny is from Britain. I'm guess that it sucks pretty badly in Britain if Tenpenny left there for the Capital Wasteland. If I remember correctly, the rest of Europe and the Middle East blew themselves up before the war even started. I like to pretend that in mainland Europe, the Swiss reorganized themselves and conquered everybody, becoming that area's equivalent of the NCR. That's just my imagination, though. I imagine that mutated honey badgers are Africa's equivalent of Deathclaws.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Resource_Wars
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I believe we (the British) nuked the fuck out of France just for the hell of it as the war started...
Britain did get hit, but not as badly as it may seem, survivors may abound... We do have an interesting network of nuclear bunkers (My mother lives near several)
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Where did that advanced android in F3 come from? I thought it was Canada though that might be my imagination.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

The Commonwealth is in Massachusetts, centered around the Institute, which is MIT.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

If there is one area i would like to have explored in the Fallout Universe outside of North America, it would be China. This was the big antagonistic force that the US went to war with.

I remembered reading something on the Fallout Wiki about a new chinese empire in a scrapped game idea, but i am sure that this is abandoned as the game was a sequel to Brotherhood of Steel, which from what i gather sucked donkey nads so hard everyone pretends it did noes not exist.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Zor wrote:If there is one area i would like to have explored in the Fallout Universe outside of North America, it would be China. This was the big antagonistic force that the US went to war with.

I remembered reading something on the Fallout Wiki about a new chinese empire in a scrapped game idea, but i am sure that this is abandoned as the game was a sequel to Brotherhood of Steel, which from what i gather sucked donkey nads so hard everyone pretends it did noes not exist.

Zor
What's this nonsense about a BoS based game? There was never such a thing. Never.

As for China, it probably got his about the same overall as the US. Centers of power are absolute blasted scrap, other places are entirely untouched.

I'd also be curious to see what cultures arose out of their post nuclear world. One quite amusing image I had was basically Dynastic China populated (or at least ruled) by ghouls.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

All reports from Austrialia went silent, It's generall believed everyone was eaten by mutated fauna. Rumors of Deathclaw eating mutated Koalas are probably just that RIGHT?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

How would Deathclaws get there? I got the impression they were native to North America due to scientists tinkering with FEV.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Panzersharkcat wrote:How would Deathclaws get there? I got the impression they were native to North America due to scientists tinkering with FEV.
It's usually best to ignore Bear.

The only information we get is that there's still people in the British Isles and Toronto has civilization still. There's probably similar levels of recovery around the world- it seems unlikely that the various world governments could do any worse than the Fallout USA in planning for nuclear apocalypse. There's probably settlements in the ruins of various cities, protostates coming together, and the odd group protecting caches of major technology. Of course, since this is Fallout, they're all horribly, horribly stereotypical.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Ok. I wonder what's in Anchorage itself. Ghoulified Chinese remnants? Mutated polar bears mauling mutant baby seals to death? Where was it indicated that Toronto still has civilization?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Ok. I wonder what's in Anchorage itself. Ghoulified Chinese remnants? Mutated polar bears mauling mutant baby seals to death? Where was it indicated that Toronto still has civilization?
I think there was some dialogue in the Pittsburgh DLC about how they trade with the "Ronto" up north. I'm going to have to say that it depends on whether we go with how a game would present it, or how it would "really" work out. For example, if we go by how the games would do it, then there would be Super Mutants, Deathclaws, Centaurs, and the whole menagerie, along with a couple of factions including ones from previous games. There'd also be Chinese soldiers with horrible accents.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Ryushikaze wrote:I'd also be curious to see what cultures arose out of their post nuclear world. One quite amusing image I had was basically Dynastic China populated (or at least ruled) by ghouls.
I imagine a guerilla war between Red Guards carrying Mao's Little Red Book, as well as monarchists under a dozen warlords claiming the Mandate of Heaven and isolated monestaries of monks defending themselves and the local area while trying to rebuild things. Also some analouge to Vaults in China.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

my joke was more along the lines of the normal FEV/rads turning the hostility of the wild life up by an order of magnatude, and Aussieland being notorius for hostile fauna. Of course the Island Continant has it's mark in the realm of Post Apoc fiction with On the Beach and Mad Max.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Ah, ok. Yeah, that place would definitely become monster island. Still, mutated honey badgers vs whatever monsters Australia breeds. Should be an interesting fight.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Would Austrailia get nuked? IIRC the main conflicts in the fallout universe were EU vs Middle East and USA vs China. Couldn't Oz just sit out any conflict?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

2000AD wrote:Would Austrailia get nuked? IIRC the main conflicts in the fallout universe were EU vs Middle East and USA vs China. Couldn't Oz just sit out any conflict?
If it did not, not the Enclave, the master and so forth would be irrelevent, Australian Conquest and Colonizaton fleets would be going about and Advancing Australia fair across the world.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Zor wrote:
2000AD wrote:Would Austrailia get nuked? IIRC the main conflicts in the fallout universe were EU vs Middle East and USA vs China. Couldn't Oz just sit out any conflict?
If it did not, not the Enclave, the master and so forth would be irrelevent, Australian Conquest and Colonizaton fleets would be going about and Advancing Australia fair across the world.

Zor
Maybe the oil crisis had already crippled Australia like in Europe?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Srelex wrote:
Zor wrote:

Zor
Maybe the oil crisis had already crippled Australia like in Europe?
Thats like saying someone who has lost his foot is defenseless against someone who had all their arms chansawed off and their eyes eaten by mongooses.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Zor wrote: Thats like saying someone who has lost his foot is defenseless against someone who had all their arms chansawed off and their eyes eaten by mongooses.

Zor
It still means that he won't be trying to pick a fight with anyone for the time being. Besides, Australia is an island with a relatively small population and low proportion of arable land. It'd need any resources just to sustain itself, especially now that all external trade has evaporated.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

It's the Free Australian Alliance all over again... *highfives Nepthys*
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It would be funny if South Africa turned out to be the most advanced civilization as it was not involved in the conflict at all.

On the question, was South America ever brought up? Or Russia?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Srelex wrote:
Zor wrote: Thats like saying someone who has lost his foot is defenseless against someone who had all their arms chansawed off and their eyes eaten by mongooses.

Zor
It still means that he won't be trying to pick a fight with anyone for the time being.
"Time Being"=TWO FREAKING CENTURIES.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Given the 50s chic of the Fallout setting, Australia might have gotten an On the Beach style scenario.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Zixinus wrote:It would be funny if South Africa turned out to be the most advanced civilization as it was not involved in the conflict at all.

On the question, was South America ever brought up? Or Russia?
It’s hard to see how South Africa would not have had nuclear weapons in the Fallout Universe, and thus been subject to nuclear war. After all they built nukes in real life to fight a race war with; and Fallout makes the Davy Crocket look dangerously inadequate as a weapon. Likewise many Latin American nations which had small scale nuclear programs in real like Argentina and Brazil almost certainly have nuclear weapons and get blown apart too.

I'd figure just about everywhere advanced is pretty much the same as the US, with only remote African nations which didn't have industrial economies or much government in the first place being relatively untouched.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956