Earthquake off Japan

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Re: Earthquake off Japan

Post by aieeegrunt »

Pendleton wrote:Can you show me the figures for this, please? Figures for nuclear power deaths from Chernobyl have been rated to over 900,000[1], so I would be interested in seeing how renewables have contributed to a similar number.

Additionally, I do not like the implication that questioning nuclear power equates to being pro-coal (although there are studies showing coal radioactivity pollution is vastly overstated).
I am starting to wonder if nuclear power, like religion, is one of those third rail issues for this board where the board culture goes into sacred cow mode and you can't have a rational discussion. I love how your point about the US closing it's energy gap simply by being less wasteful was completely ignored. Get all the fucking tiny dick F150 ubertruck monstrosities off the road.

I'd rather have the roads full of little diesel electric econoboxes than have to trust something with the potential for multi generational disaster to the tender loving hands of profit uber alles private industry. We've had how many weeks now of "Everything is just peachy!!!" from Tepco even as buildings were blowing apart and radioactive goo is oozing on the floor of Reactor building #2. I also got a good gallows laugh over them stockpiling spent fuel rods in what amounts to a fucking bathtub on the roof. But my profits!!
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

Steel wrote:
I see where the problem is here. Your source is actually a book that has never been peer reviewed, and the authors use very bad statistical methodology to get any vague support their wild claims. It is not a valid source.

Look up in this thread or in the deaths caused by power generation thread in SLaM for sources on the actual deaths caused by various power sources and events. For example, the actual number of people known or suspected to have been killed by Chernobyl so far is about 60. The total predicted deaths is 4-5000.

Renewables have high death figures as you need to build ridiculous quantities of them to get any power at all and construction (and maintenancce) is one of the most hazardous jobs. But due to the fact that falling off a roof or mining for materials to make solar panels is mundane means that hubdreds of times as many people can die before anyone cares.

That and for say hydro, the 'uninhabitable zone' is vastly larger than for a nuclear plant (and present every day the dam exists, not just after the the nuclear plant fails) if we set the same threshold of risk, as if the dam breaks you can flood a vast area killing hundreds of thousands(eg Banquio).
Oh, I've read the critiques of Yablokov's work, both via Atomic Insights and the Green Nuclear Revolution blogs. My mentioning of it was for illustration of just how wide a range we've seen in literature, with doubt cast over WHO figures and similar ways of assessing radionuclide risks from low level, long term exposure practices (see also the UK CERRIE study, the German neo-natal, Swedish cancer and US leukaemia studies).

My issue is that we don't have a really effective way to judge Chernobyl's impact itself given the USSR records and subsequent collapse with drop in living standards. There are the Japanese atomic bomb studies, but they, from memory, used the older methodologies and so may need reassessing. I will look into that when I get time.

My other questions are, with what criteria are we assessing overall deaths? It isn't so clear cut doing so just by looking at radiation impact, which can be clouded by the various other factors which can be teratogenic, mutagenic or carcinogenic. Do we also factor in build risk? Because mining operations for metals and especially metal oxides like uranium, can be extremely hazardous, so one cannot pick the contaminant impacts of one power source, and the construction impacts of another. That would be disingenuous.

I will add that I am no fan of hydropower when used for dams. I am, however, a major proponent of a mix of decentralised systems of PV, CHP and wind for local communities, along with the usual mix of larger renewable systems that cannot be made on such a small scale e.g. tidal and solar thermal farms, but with an addition of fourth and later generation nuclear, or if coal has to be used (costs and time are not in favour of a quick and safe nuclear buildout), CCS plants.

This is an on the go post, so my apologies if I haven't addressed all the points. I will get around to them as best I can.

And thanks for the reference to the SLAM topic. I will have a read.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Pendleton wrote:My other questions are, with what criteria are we assessing overall deaths? It isn't so clear cut doing so just by looking at radiation impact, which can be clouded by the various other factors which can be teratogenic, mutagenic or carcinogenic. Do we also factor in build risk? Because mining operations for metals and especially metal oxides like uranium, can be extremely hazardous, so one cannot pick the contaminant impacts of one power source, and the construction impacts of another. That would be disingenuous.
In Canada, we use robots for mining uranium, the mine detailed in that article is now in operation.

If you're going to look at overall build risks, every single form of power generation requires metals, composites, and concrete, thus they all require mining operations. Windmills and solar panels don't grow on trees and solar panels in particular require a crapload of highly toxic chemicals in their manufacture. Windmills aren't quite as bad but making the carbon fibre and epoxy resins for the turbine blades also uses a ton of hazardous chemicals.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

aerius wrote:
In Canada, we use robots for mining uranium, the mine detailed in that article is now in operation.

If you're going to look at overall build risks, every single form of power generation requires metals, composites, and concrete, thus they all require mining operations. Windmills and solar panels don't grow on trees and solar panels in particular require a crapload of highly toxic chemicals in their manufacture. Windmills aren't quite as bad but making the carbon fibre and epoxy resins for the turbine blades also uses a ton of hazardous chemicals.
Informative link. Which reminds me, the US is sending robots to the Japanese plant, which makes me wonder why Japan doesn't already have this hardware natively, or if they do, why it hasn't been deployed by now.

And yes, my earlier point was relating to building anything, since heavy industry is inherently dangerous, you need to take a holistic approach to gauge what impact they have. I'm confident that First World practices are sufficient enough to allow replacement of ageing plants with newer ones without the loss of life, or health risks, posed by prior methods.
Last edited by Pendleton on 2011-04-02 01:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

@Pendelton

Have you realized that a lot of materials in the world are extremely toxic and will lead to death ? For example imagine how many thousands of people you can kill with just one kilogram of mercury. All you have to do is find a way to get it inside their bodies.

Same for nuclear materials. I have not forgotten the fear mongering over the Cassini spacecraft. Supposedly a few hundred kilograms dispersing in the atmosphere would kill several millions.

I think risks need to quantified and measured relatively. The results can be surprising. Did you know coal ash is more radioactive than nuclear waste ?

The point I am trying to make here is that nuclear power is no different than any other industrial activity. It should be judged under same rational cost benefit ratio as say wind farms or hydro turbines. Rather than say being treated from superstitious perspective where it is so dangerous even one accident would kill millions.

Lets face it we have detonated over 2000 nuclear bombs right in the face of Mother Earth. Any consequence from future nuclear accidents have got nothing on this.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Pendleton wrote:Oh, I've read the critiques of Yablokov's work, both via Atomic Insights and the Green Nuclear Revolution blogs. My mentioning of it was for illustration of just how wide a range we've seen in literature
Fundamental point: that book is NOT in 'the literature'. It has not passed peer review, and holds no more validity that scrawling a giant number in crayon on a piece of paper. You cannot counter extensive peer reviewed work with a single or even many studies someone pulled out of thin air without peer review.
Pendleton wrote: Because mining operations for metals and especially metal oxides like uranium, can be extremely hazardous, so one cannot pick the contaminant impacts of one power source, and the construction impacts of another. That would be disingenuous.
Even (in fact especially) when we look at the full life cycle impacts of different power generation methods nuclear comes out (further) on top. Even if uranium mining is as hazardous as coal mining, you need a MILLION times as much coal to equal uranium energy output by mass. Similarly for other 'green' power, you need inordinate quantities of raw materials.

I'm psoting this from a phone on the train so I can't reference things easily and I've trashed your post, but I cant write a full response to you and the other people as I'm about to go underground.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

Sarevok wrote:@Pendelton

Have you realized that a lot of materials in the world are extremely toxic and will lead to death ? For example imagine how many thousands of people you can kill with just one kilogram of mercury. All you have to do is find a way to get it inside their bodies.

Same for nuclear materials. I have not forgotten the fear mongering over the Cassini spacecraft. Supposedly a few hundred kilograms dispersing in the atmosphere would kill several millions.

I think risks need to quantified and measured relatively. The results can be surprising. Did you know coal ash is more radioactive than nuclear waste ?
This is true, as you say. I work with all manner of compounds, many of which have no actual data behind their impact on human metabolism, or environmental damage. COSSH can only take you so far when you're dealing with engineered New Chemical Entities (NCEs). These compounds will typically never be in sufficient quantities to cause harm, if they even make it to be commercially viable. I've been heavily involved in the EU's REACH project for re-evaluating just about every agrochemical used within the EU's remit. So believe me, I'm under no illusion that there is such thing as a safe chemical. Indeed, as I work with toxicologists all day, the first thing drilled into my mind when thinking about any chemical is the poison is in the dose. You can die from water, vitamin D or any other supposedly benign substances in nature that we still need.

But I digress. I should state that the SciAm article doesn't properly report the information from the original study which looked into fly ash and nuclear waste radiological properties. From the original 1977 research in Science:
The maximum individual dose commitments
from the model coal plant were greater than
those from the pressurized water reactor, except
for the thyroid dose, but were less than those
from the boiling water reactor, except for the
bone dose. In general, however, the whole-body
and all organ doses for both the coal and nuclear
plants were in the same order of magnitude.
Remember, this was many years before more efficient HEPA electrostatic precipitators and desulphurisation processes for flue gas or wet scrubbers brought about by better environmental regulations after the "silent spring" renaissance in environmentalism. The idea that coal is many times more lethal than nuclear is often cited as a reason against coal (we don't need such a reason which, in actuality, would act as just as much of a reason against nuclear anyway). The NRPB in the UK also looked into these issues with the Didcot coal plant and the use of ash for building materials, which the HPA oversaw in a study in 2006.
The point I am trying to make here is that nuclear power is no different than any other industrial activity. It should be judged under same rational cost benefit ratio as say wind farms or hydro turbines. Rather than say being treated from superstitious perspective where it is so dangerous even one accident would kill millions.

Lets face it we have detonated over 2000 nuclear bombs right in the face of Mother Earth. Any consequence from future nuclear accidents have got nothing on this.
I don't think any one is really putting forth the idea that renewables are without their faults when it comes to heavy industry, so if that's what my posts came across as saying, that is a communication failure on my part.
Steel wrote:
Fundamental point: that book is NOT in 'the literature'. It has not passed peer review, and holds no more validity that scrawling a giant number in crayon on a piece of paper. You cannot counter extensive peer reviewed work with a single or even many studies someone pulled out of thin air without peer review.
I didn't really make the distinction between peer-reviewed and popular science or agenda driven rants, simply that there is a source out there that people can look at and draw conclusions from regarding nuclear. These may be incorrect conclusions, but it was not my intention to quote the Russian scientist's work and draw a line in the sand stating this was the definitive figure, since it clearly isn't given his prior history in the subject (regardless of his marine biology credentials) and flawed meta-analyses, which in bioinformatics are tricky in far simpler subjects as it is.

This is all down to the problem of public perception which, whether we like it or not, dictates policy far more than any other single factor, even economics at times. I've come across plenty of articles referencing this book, even if there are peer-reviewed papers with actual scientific rigour that can be used to bring a counterpoint to the IAEA/WHO studies (if I remember correctly, I found one by the NAS which put the figure at higher than 5,000, but still way below the 900k+ figure of the listed book, though I can't find the link right now).

Even (in fact especially) when we look at the full life cycle impacts of different power generation methods nuclear comes out (further) on top. Even if uranium mining is as hazardous as coal mining, you need a MILLION times as much coal to equal uranium energy output by mass. Similarly for other 'green' power, you need inordinate quantities of raw materials.

I'm psoting this from a phone on the train so I can't reference things easily and I've trashed your post, but I cant write a full response to you and the other people as I'm about to go underground.
There are other problems relating to nuclear, which could involve a whole new thread in themselves, and so detract from the topic of this one. In summary, they tend to be economic with nuclear fuel being cheap, so long as you have the capital to invest and insure and then decommission nuclear facilities first. Fuel supply, which is limited in where it can be acquired and, if the global nuclear build-out keeps pace, will significantly raise the cost of fuel (I am, of course, ignoring the potential for all new reactors to be fast neutron breeders, which would overcome uranium limitations). And lastly, social concerns, which are self-explanatory and also the biggest wildcard despite the overall trend of public opinion being anti-nuclear in many countries with formerly healthy atomic industries.
Magis
Padawan Learner

Post by Magis »

PeZook wrote: Okay, for the third and last time: All. Nuclear. Fuel. Has. Plutonium. Inside.

All of it. Get it? Every single spent fuel rod in all power plants running on enriched uranium will have plutonium. It is a normal fission product.
This is not true. Firstly, Plutonium is not a fission product. It is an activation product that is produced when U238 captures a neutron. Since U238 is the driving force behind Plutonium production, reactors fuels that feature higher enrichment of U235 will produce less Plutonium, not more.

Also, there are cases where spent fuel rods have no Plutonium at all. Namely, those cases in which fresh fuel is dumped from the core into spent fuel storage before being subjected to any significant amount of burnup, which does happen from time to time.

Broadly, though, what you say is on the right track - that Plutonium is a common constituent element in spent reactor fuel.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

No element becomes another element through neutron capture. Plutonium is formed by Uranium capturing a deuteron.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Terralthra wrote:No element becomes another element through neutron capture. Plutonium is formed by Uranium capturing a deuteron.
You're stupid. Plutonium-239 is formed from Uranium-238 by neutron capture followed by Beta-decay. So yes, technically no new element is formed by neutron capture, however, it's simpler to say it was created by neutron capture, because the capture is required for the transmutation. There are no deuterons being captured to create plutonium.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Magis wrote: This is not true. Firstly, Plutonium is not a fission product. It is an activation product that is produced when U238 captures a neutron. Since U238 is the driving force behind Plutonium production, reactors fuels that feature higher enrichment of U235 will produce less Plutonium, not more.

Also, there are cases where spent fuel rods have no Plutonium at all. Namely, those cases in which fresh fuel is dumped from the core into spent fuel storage before being subjected to any significant amount of burnup, which does happen from time to time.

Broadly, though, what you say is on the right track - that Plutonium is a common constituent element in spent reactor fuel.
Well, that's a more detailed explanation of what happens and correction of some of my incorrect terminology, but the gist remains the same: even if technically sometimes the fuel stored outside the reactor could contain no plutonium, it's generally present in some quantitiy in spent fuel.

After all, MOX is made by reprocessing spent fuel, isn't it?

Thanks anyway, the post was quite educational.
aieeegrunt wrote:I am starting to wonder if nuclear power, like religion, is one of those third rail issues for this board where the board culture goes into sacred cow mode and you can't have a rational discussion. I love how your point about the US closing it's energy gap simply by being less wasteful was completely ignored. Get all the fucking tiny dick F150 ubertruck monstrosities off the road.
Why yes, there has been so much irrationality in this thread! I mean, people are totally not civilly discussing merits of Pendleton's arguments with him! At all!

I have also mentioned that saving energy is always a good idea. I also happen to think that it's not a total solution, because there's a limit to which you can save energy, and it would be better to have nukes providing that baseline power combined with distributed renewables, than the current coal networks spewing CO2.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Beowulf wrote:
Terralthra wrote:No element becomes another element through neutron capture. Plutonium is formed by Uranium capturing a deuteron.
You're stupid. Plutonium-239 is formed from Uranium-238 by neutron capture followed by Beta-decay. So yes, technically no new element is formed by neutron capture, however, it's simpler to say it was created by neutron capture, because the capture is required for the transmutation. There are no deuterons being captured to create plutonium.
Uranium that captures a neutron then emits a beta particle becomes Neptunium239. Which can then decays to either Plutonium or Protactinium.
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

PeZook wrote: I have also mentioned that saving energy is always a good idea. I also happen to think that it's not a total solution, because there's a limit to which you can save energy, and it would be better to have nukes providing that baseline power combined with distributed renewables, than the current coal networks spewing CO2.
Like with most things, the low hanging fruit are the first - and easiest - to pick. In this instance, energy efficiency. In the UK, it's horrible house insulation. For the US, it's terrible car economy. About every nation has some way to improve somewhere down the line, for instance, the move from incandescents to fluorescents and LEDs for lighting.

That said, you can't make extra power available by efficiency improvements alone, at least, no new net power from systems already in place. So while focusing on efficiency should be an easy first goal, we still need to focus on replacing power-plants in service now that are coming to the end of their effective lives, along with increasing output by installing new plants of whatever composition best suits the locale. This is actually a point I've brought up at meetings in my job, where our industry is still hard done by the credit crunch, so the executives implemented a LEAN programme using the Japanese 5S methodology for efficiency improvements. My qualm was that, although we can help our predicament by cutting fat, you can only cut so much fat before you hit muscle and bone (a point made more often now around me by the media as we come to terms with hard and fast government service cuts).

This is why I'm hoping my company has plans to boost sales every bit as much as I'm hoping the government isn't going to kneejerk react and cancel nuclear build-out already penned in, doubly so when many nuclear plants in operation today are approaching the limits of operation and coal is being phased out.

Efficiency and conservation are easy to attain, if you have the willpower and lack the money and time to add surplus capacity to the national grid at the present time.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Pendleton wrote:There are other problems relating to nuclear, which could involve a whole new thread in themselves, and so detract from the topic of this one. In summary, they tend to be economic with nuclear fuel being cheap, so long as you have the capital to invest and insure and then decommission nuclear facilities first. Fuel supply, which is limited in where it can be acquired and, if the global nuclear build-out keeps pace, will significantly raise the cost of fuel (I am, of course, ignoring the potential for all new reactors to be fast neutron breeders, which would overcome uranium limitations).
Up here in Canada, and also in China, India and South Korea, we have this thing called a CANDU reactor which can run a thorium-uranium fuel cycle. The ability has already been proven in our research reactors, all we need to do is make a bunch of thorium fuel bundles and stuff them into our operational reactors and we can run a thorium-U233 cyle. With reprocessing it comes pretty close to breeding all its own fuel and only small amounts of additional fuel is needed to top it up every once in a while.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Germany is apparently sending several special pumps to Fukushima. These can be used to spray water and concrete.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

aerius wrote:
Up here in Canada, and also in China, India and South Korea, we have this thing called a CANDU reactor which can run a thorium-uranium fuel cycle. The ability has already been proven in our research reactors, all we need to do is make a bunch of thorium fuel bundles and stuff them into our operational reactors and we can run a thorium-U233 cyle. With reprocessing it comes pretty close to breeding all its own fuel and only small amounts of additional fuel is needed to top it up every once in a while.
The CANDU and Superphénix were the plants I had in mind, along with proven pebble-bed types. The latter have been looked into for future modular reactor systems at a city block level deployment, and smaller than that even. Security would be the bigger problem then once the likes of passive cooling and fuel limitations have been solved with these designs. Since these reactors can burn just about anything, making even non-standard actinides useful, this greatly reduces waste and gets around uranium supply problems.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I have a question regarding nuclear waste, how dangerous would it actually be to drill open and walk into a typical nuclear waste underground cave say 10.000 years from now? Would I turn into a sizzling corpse or would I increase my possibility to get cancer by some miniscule percentage?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

If you didn't live in there you'd be pretty much fine. All waste storage strategies I've read about or heard of involve putting the waste in multiple metal caskets, and putting those in a concrete one, and then putting that in the tunnel, which is in the end filled with gravel. So long as you don't live down there, or spend large amounts of time there, you'll be fine.
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

Yes, the bigger problem at that point is risk of heavy metal ingestion, possibly via the air or water table, if any of the caskets had been damaged. All nuclear disposal sites are picked to minimise any possible massive tectonic shift to affect those caskets, and certainly kept far enough away from current population centres.

I believe TEPCO is going to make a second attempt at plugging the recently discovered leak. If successful, it will hopefully greatly reduce seawater contamination.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial528 wrote:If you didn't live in there you'd be pretty much fine. All waste storage strategies I've read about or heard of involve putting the waste in multiple metal caskets, and putting those in a concrete one, and then putting that in the tunnel, which is in the end filled with gravel. So long as you don't live down there, or spend large amounts of time there, you'll be fine.
Really now? The German nuclear industry was caught red-handed trying to dump nuclear waste in simple barrels into an abandoned mine. This supposedly secure site then turned out to have many such barrels leaking, falling over, being damaged etc. And of course the industry claimed it was all perfectly safe until confronted with photographic evidence.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Quality control for the caskets is, of course, an issue. Poorly constructed storage devices does not automatically invalidate the concept of long term storage. There is also the issue of the mine environment - not all mine tunnels are equal, some have more corrosive environments than others.

I really wish the Yucca Mountain project hadn't been shelved, it was a viable storage solution. I don't know if Germany has such a location, though - always more complicated if you have to convince someone else to take your waste.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Thanas wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:If you didn't live in there you'd be pretty much fine. All waste storage strategies I've read about or heard of involve putting the waste in multiple metal caskets, and putting those in a concrete one, and then putting that in the tunnel, which is in the end filled with gravel. So long as you don't live down there, or spend large amounts of time there, you'll be fine.
Really now? The German nuclear industry was caught red-handed trying to dump nuclear waste in simple barrels into an abandoned mine. This supposedly secure site then turned out to have many such barrels leaking, falling over, being damaged etc. And of course the industry claimed it was all perfectly safe until confronted with photographic evidence.
That's private industry for you. It really can't be trusted with anything important, or anything with consequences past the next fiscal quarter. TEPCO is just one of a zillion examples of this.
Pendleton
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendleton »

Thanas wrote:
At least that's not dumping it into the Irish Sea as was often the case here until the UN clamped down on radioactive waste dumping into oceans. The coast where I grew up is one of the most artificially radioactive in the world, apparently.

Then there's mismanagement with Yucca Mountain and the dawdling over what to do with it in recent years.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Thanas wrote:
I stand corrected. The sane proposals I've heard of, which unsurprisingly were the only ones actually willing to go into detail about their process in any public medium.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

aieeegrunt wrote:
Thanas wrote:
That's private industry for you. It really can't be trusted with anything important, or anything with consequences past the next fiscal quarter. TEPCO is just one of a zillion examples of this.
It was the private industry, but the facility was supposedly state run. And now recent studies have revealed a 300% in cancer and leukemia increase in those areas, but of course such dumps are still "supposedly safe".

Pendleton wrote:At least that's not dumping it into the Irish Sea as was often the case here until the UN clamped down on radioactive waste dumping into oceans. The coast where I grew up is one of the most artificially radioactive in the world, apparently.
And I thought the German nuclear industry was incompetent, but this takes the grand prize for stupidity. Hey, let us ruin our fishing grounds. Nothing wrong with that....
------------
------------
My LPs