World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by HMS Sophia »

Grrrr. Didn't realise there had been a wipe, this is the first time I've been on in... well at least two months :D
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Same here. I'm kinda mehed now, too much trouble clawing my way back up...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Same, I only made the T29 in the beta with wacky free experience and gold, but I'll play here and there to slowly grind my way up out of the T1/2 tanks to something worth driving. I'm thinking of getting a farming M7 followed by an M4 while I wait for the US tank destroyers to launch. I'm also going to test my luck with arty going down the Russian tree.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Maybe I'll set up another account on the US servers just so that I can play with the SDN clan from time to time, but I doubt I'll be a worthwhile contribution when playing once every three weeks or so :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I've grabbed a Churchill for my US account. Generates good money and enough XP to skip over, say, the T28 and PzIII-A and all the Stuarts.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Once every few weeks is useful when we don't have maxed numbers at any time, PeZook. I think the max in a clan is ~100 and we have what, 10-20 so far? We can afford to waste a space on someone who shows up irregularly at best.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Take the time difference into account, too. I am at GST+1 and would probably be on evenings about 20.00-21.00.

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

You guys are trying to be entirely too organized about this.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Played a bit this morning in the training servers. Looks great but how the games are set up a a step back from what I'm used to. Usually when I choose a server, I get to choose which side and off I go. Here, I have to wait for the host to put me in the game, choose a side and start the game. Not only that but it isn't perpetual. After one side is killed off, the game stops and I have to wait for the host to start the game again. Not very good.

The game itself is fine and I quite like it. I've been using the T1 and quickly learned how useless it is against larger tanks. For example, in one server it was 7 T1s, some medium tank against a T74(?)(a heavy tank). Needless to say, our side lost and the heavy tank just rolled right through us.

I've also learned that I can't shoot the broadside of a barn in it.

But I still like it and when I get the chance I'm going to play again.

7/10
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Don't do training battles. Jump right on in, the game is more welcome to it. During beta training battles seemed only there for when a new map was released so that people wouldn't be completely clueless. Training battles don't earn you anything unlike the regular battles.

As for getting into a "persistent" team, at the moment that is reserved for tank companies, which have been barren since the release while people grind.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Agent Sorchus wrote:<snip>
As for getting into a "persistent" team, at the moment that is reserved for tank companies, which have been barren since the release while people grind.
Really? That sucks. You'd think something like a persistent timed game being a basic option would be a no-brainer. If it was like the ones I remember, most of the game is automated with the host being limited to moving players to different teams, booting players and deciding on maps.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Nvm. Jumped right in and I enjoyed it alot. Researched the T2 but can't afford it so I instead maxed the T1 and got the elite. Managed to take out at least one tank. :) lol

Bumping the rating to 8.5/10.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Victory!
Battle: Pagorki Monday, April 18, 2011 3:45:03 AM
Vehicle: PzKpfw 38H735 (f)
Received Experience: 1,782 (doubled for the first battle each day), credits: 8,161

165 Received Hits. One hundred and sixty five. My screen glowed red for the first five minutes of the game. We were on the north side of the map, I drove up about three map squares towards the hill in mid and basically tanked (pun intended) the entirety of the other team while my team did their business. Ended up with five kills, five more damages, and four or five detections, just basically rattled around by machine gun and 5cm fire. Only had 19hp left, both tracks broken, obviously, but totally worth it given how the other team was literally cursing me and accusing me of finding a glitch given the way I was parked in a slight dip in the ground and only showing my upper hull and turret.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Remember, people: proper tactics = cheating or exploits.

I remember in the olden days of playing Infiltration (a mod of UT about RAH RAH SPESHUL FORCES) where I killed off the enemy team one by one after they ran out in the open in front of an OBVIOUS SNIPER POSITION and being called a cheater.

:)

Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I wouldn't even really call what I did tactics so much-I was pretty much double tracked the entire game by the gentle patter of machine gun fire. :D

I was pretty much an immobile bunker raining death on the other team, it was pretty ridiculous.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ah, I thought you went hull down on purpose. Some tanks are evil when hull down, like the T29.

Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

It was a relatively good place to stop, but I hadn't originally intended to park it there the entire game-it was more a 'Let's sit here while we see where the battle develops'. Then the light show that often happens when light autocannon fire rocks the crap out of your tank happened and the rest is a very concussed crew and history.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Yayaz, good tactics! Or luck. Whatever, luck's just as good. Want a job in the Evil Imperial Army of SDN?
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Hey Zor I just played a match with you, I hit you but didn't blow you to bits. :P
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

The Francepanzer is a ridiculous tank if it's in the top tier of a match. I took over 200 hits and was the only survivor left on the map in one match and I didn't even do anything smart/lucky like go hull-down; I spent the whole match in one long loop slowly charging at full speed to their base and then turning around to prevent a capture of my own. Once the Pzjgs died there's nothing that could do more than slightly dent you, even with a flank shot.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

doom3607 wrote:Yayaz, good tactics! Or luck. Whatever, luck's just as good. Want a job in the Evil Imperial Army of SDN?
I'm a founding member in Brothers Grim. If you guys need a platoon mate and I'm around, I'll happily run, but given many of the other members were physically present at my wedding and I see socially several evenings a week, they've got dibs on my services first. Sorry.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Slacker wrote:accusing me of finding a glitch given the way I was parked in a slight dip in the ground and only showing my upper hull and turret.
Yeah, going hull down isn't a glitch. There's a reason why the devs put all those dips, low walls, craters, and other map features that at just about the same height as most heavy tank's hulls.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Playing right now as Captain_Boom_Boom. :) US Server.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

It's funny, parking my 76mm armed T46 on the hill in Pagorki, turning BT's, little Pz's, and US lights inside out with a single blow.

It's a slow-reloading beast, but it's so much fun.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Crossing my fingers for a buddy-he's only about 35K off from winning the Race to the Top for the GW Tiger, there's only one or two people who're actually really fighting it out with him. He's done it with very little power leveling from his premium tanks, too-only 70 games total from all of his premium tanks. Providing there's no issues, he should have it by the time I wake up around noon. Hell, he should have it in a couple of hours.