LAAT vs shuttles

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

How the hell would Artificial Gravity stop you from falling?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

You sure they are 100KT? I'm going off memory here and I could have sworn they were 1 KT
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Ender wrote:You sure they are 100KT? I'm going off memory here and I could have sworn they were 1 KT

I have the book right here.

"Each blast-effect missle concentrates its 100-kiloton explosion in a two-degree cone"
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

My bad.

Really need to get my books sent to me, as I can't provide evidence and keep screwing things up...
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

How the hell would Artificial Gravity stop you from falling?
That's what accelerator compensators are for. Once artificial gravity is on and you're standing in one spot, when the ship moves, the onboard computers controlling the artificial gravity compensates all of the movement so that objects remain stationary. That is why Obi-Wan and Luke were able to stand up when Han and Chewie were making all of those maneuvers in ANH. However, if the ship is hit or moved from something else, I don't think the compensators can fix that. So I guess they could do loops and barrel rolls all they want except for when they get hit. LOL
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Actually, I don't know if they're called accelerator compensators or something else, but that's what they do. :)
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Starfighters are equipped with inertial compensators, which negate g-forces when dogfighting. But if you pull too tight a turn, the compensator fails, and you feel part of the g-force. That coupled with artigrav can keep you upright.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
IRG CommandoJoe wrote:
They Can move quick and fast after all(They don't because Yoda and Co where watching the battle with the doors open and would have kinda got tossed out if they had starting manvoiring
Does artificial gravity work on a planet or near another gravity source? Because if it does, they shouldn't have problems maneuvering all over the place with people standing up.
According to Krytos Trap, the Lusankya was capable of keeping all it's prisoners, plus guards, plus equipment on the ceiling. Granted, that was an Executor class ship, and it was in a Micheal A. Stackpole novel, but still.
In Star By Star Han said that using artificial grav in a planets atmosphere was a bad idea and made the ride very hard, but that it had to be done to make hard maneuvers and rolls.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956