Synthetic blood first

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Synthetic blood first

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.news.com.au/national/revolut ... 6050144062
AN Australian woman's life has been saved using a radical synthetic blood substitute made from cow plasma.

In a world first, doctors at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne brought 33-year-old Tamara Coakley back from the brink after a car crash left her with severe blood loss and close to heart failure.

Her spinal cord was almost severed, her lungs collapsed, her skull was fractured, several ribs were broken, as were her cheekbone and an elbow, and her spleen was ruptured.

She was barely alive when she arrived at hospital.

"I had one litre of blood left in my body," she said.

In a last-ditch effort to save Ms Coakley's life, 10 units of the haemoglobin-based oxygen carrier HBOC201 were flown in from the US.

The synthetic contains a molecule derived from cow plasma and restored her levels of haemoglobin, which carries oxygen to the tissues.

Associate Professor Mark Fitzgerald said it marked an important step in the development of a viable blood alternative to address worldwide blood supply shortages.

Unlike donor blood, it does not require crossmatching and can be stored without refrigeration for up to three years.

"It's a bit of science fiction," Dr Fitzgerald said.

As a Jehovah's Witness, Ms Coakley was unable to have blood transfusions but was allowed blood substitutes.

Dr Fitzgerald was familiar with the product being developed by the US Navy because he gave independent advice on a proposed research project five years ago.

Working through the night, he negotiated with the drug manufacturer, OPK Biotech, the Therapeutic Goods Administration, the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service and airline carriers.

The Alfred's ethics committee gave the import the green light, permission was granted under the TGA's special access scheme and the manufacturer paid the bill.

HBOC201 is one of a number of blood substitutes being developed around the world.

University of Melbourne Head of Department of Paediatrics Professor Paul Monagle said synthetic blood could address donor supply issues and give people in remote areas access to life-saving treatments.

Professor Monagle said any synthetic blood product would have to undergo rigorous testing before it moved from prototype to routine practice.

Ms Coakley, who was in an induced coma during the crucial medical procedure, knows how close she came to death.

"They did everything they could, I am so grateful."

For more on the woman who was brought back from the brink of death by a synthetic blood transfusion go to The Daily Telegraph.
Can't comment right now, off to work. But science, fuck yeah.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Synthetic blood first

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I think "science, fuck yeah" kinda says it all really.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

10 units?

units of what?

I'm impressed they got it from USA to Melbourne fast enough.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

madd0ct0r wrote:10 units?

units of what?
Of blood. It's a medical thing, they vary country to country but one unit is usually about 400-500ml as far as I know.

I guess the reason for that nomenclature is that's easier to say "2 units" or "3 units" instead of "1.5 litres of blood right now!" when you're trying to save a patient in the ER. Conventions like these also probably help prevent misunderstandings by the stressed guy/gal running to get the blood. He's not thinking "1.5 of what?", because saying "X of blood" refers to these "units".

Of course I might be wrong.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Quite correct, units are widely used in medical practice. Tough i'd like to note that there are different units for different stuff - "three units of morphine" are not the same as "three units of blood" or "three units of some other drug". The one might refer to milliliters (of one substance), the other to half a liter (of another substance) etc.
The reason why this is not confusing and why it is used is quite simple:
The amount of drug/whatever in a unit is calculated according to it's usages. One unit of morphine might be good for a small amount of pain, three for a bad one and six are a critical dose a doctor does not want to cross *. It's much easier and faster to eyeball emergency treatments or the application of save drugs that way.

*Numbers pulled from thin air for the purpose of illustration. If you want to know exact figures or details, ask a doctor - my knowledge is second-hand from medical students and i don't want to make claims of things i do not know enough about.

I really hope those blood-substitutes will work out. They will likely not be viable as a longer-term replacement for blood, and replacing most of your blood with them will still be bad because they will antibodies, white blood cells and other stuff.
But the important thing is that they can replace the respiratory function of the blood and give the body time to fill up it's own blood supply without asphyxiating. As long as they can do that, it'll be a another medical miracle and another victory for science.
Last edited by Serafina on 2011-05-05 05:32am, edited 1 time in total.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, exactly: even if a total substitute won't ever be available, it gives time to totally messed up patients. In that time you can either call up family members for a transfusion or let the body produce its own blood back to survivable levels. Also, you can keep the actual donor blood in the bank for when it's really really really needed. Isn't routine surgery the biggest consumer of blood? Replace that use with substitutes and you get a lot more for use on trauma victims.

That woman would've been dead just ten years ago, so I'd say they are already working out. I find that most medical science stuff is small steps rather than huge leaps, with applications of new tech first being tiny and specialized only to blow up into wide-scale usage some time later. Like synthetic skin or heart assistance pumps etc.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

madd0ct0r wrote:10 units?

units of what?
In this context, "units of blood substitute".

In the US, a "unit of blood" was originaly 1 pint. I believe that has not been standardized as 500 ml (which is almost the same amount anyway, just slightly more).
I'm impressed they got it from USA to Melbourne fast enough.
Me, too. In fact, I can't quite figure that.... she almost entirely bled out, but they kept her alive long enough for the stuff to be flown in from the US? Even using a private plane that goes faster than a commercial flight that would still take hours.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Broomstick wrote: In this context, "units of blood substitute".

In the US, a "unit of blood" was originaly 1 pint. I believe that has not been standardized as 500 ml (which is almost the same amount anyway, just slightly more).
Since it's designed to make eyeballing amounts easier, it doesn't really matter if it's 450, 500 or 550ml. I suppose drugs like morphine are more strict, and when out of the ER or other emergency situation, you default back to precise drug doses.
Broomstick wrote: Me, too. In fact, I can't quite figure that.... she almost entirely bled out, but they kept her alive long enough for the stuff to be flown in from the US? Even using a private plane that goes faster than a commercial flight that would still take hours.
I'm far from an expert, but that's actually almost as impressive as the blood substitute itself. I wonder what made it possible.

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

It would be great if this could be used as a total replacement for donor blood. What I've heard is that even in an all-volunteer system like Canada's, a unit of blood costs a little north of $400, counting all the costs. Obviously with an artificial substitute you won't need to test for diseases, or (apparently) worry about having the right blood type, or convince people to come in and donate. I remember hearing about products like this twenty years ago, but this is the first time I've ever heard of it being used in a life-and-death situation.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/revolu ... 6050068016
Within 48 hours, the blood product had arrived in Melbourne and five units (2350ml) were painstakingly administered over two days.
A much more reasonable timeframe for a flight, but that just makes the fact that they kept her alive for so long even more amazing.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

A unit of blood doesn't have a fixed numerical value in ml.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

... Because each "pocket" of blood isn't filled the same :

Sometime when I give blood, i can give over 480 grammes of it, and another times it is only around 450 grammes. But it is still a whole unit of blood in each case, because it is one "bag", one "container" of blood. One "unit".

And, about the OP : Yay for science !

How have they managed to keep here alive ? Maybe they put here on hold ? That would make two revolutionary procedures in one (well, one revolutionary, and another still in its experimental phase).
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The article mentioned she was close to heart failure, presumably from injuries to nearby structures like the lungs, and also via loss of blood forcing the heart to pump harder to circulate oxygen around (this is called high output heart failure as opposed to low output heart failure).

She was placed in an induce coma in an Intensive Care Unit, while they most likely kept her her blood pressure up via fluids + inotropic support (drugs to force the blood pressure up via working the heart or vasoconstriction of blood vessels). This most probably brought them the time required.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Geodd
Youngling

Post by Geodd »

First reaction. Man, that's fucking cool

Second reaction: Fucking Jehovah's Witnesses

Better headline: "Science saves moron's life, despite her and her families best efforts

The only bad thing that will come from this is that it will further the Jehovah's Witnesses quaint delusion that their retarded refusal of blood products is the main reason for development of blood alternatives.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Cool thing and a really impressive medical feat keeping her alive so long.
This product could be a big breakthrough in medicine. Blood donation is much to expensive on a long term to stay feasible.

One question - who else read the headline and immediately though "True Blood"?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
kc8tbe
Padawan Learner

Post by kc8tbe »

So first of all, hooray science. Synthetic blood could save a lot of lives down the road.

Secondly, wtf Jehovah's witness? You can't accept a blood transfusion, but you can use a product made from an animals blood? Cow plasma = acellular component of bovine blood.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Don't point that out, or they'll get stupid about that, too.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

kc8tbe wrote:So first of all, hooray science. Synthetic blood could save a lot of lives down the road.

Secondly, wtf Jehovah's witness? You can't accept a blood transfusion, but you can use a product made from an animals blood? Cow plasma = acellular component of bovine blood.
Actually, some Jehovah Witnesses already accept blood plasma type products. Just not the Red Blood Cells or platelets.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Yes, the Jehovah's Witnesses are fucking idiots, but damn, this is a great job by the medicos. They deserve plenty of kudos for this!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

PainRack wrote:
kc8tbe wrote:So first of all, hooray science. Synthetic blood could save a lot of lives down the road.

Actually, some Jehovah Witnesses already accept blood plasma type products. Just not the Red Blood Cells or platelets.
Now, before I read the article, I already knew this would involve a JW.

Transfusions using whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets or plasma are a no no for JWs. But blood fractions and medical procedures involving use of the patient's blood is left up to the individual JW.

As regards to the article,
The synthetic contains a molecule derived from cow plasma and restored her levels of haemoglobin, which carries oxygen to the tissues.
They didn't use the plasma as a whole but a fraction in this case a molecule derived from cow plasma. It was well within her perogative to choose this synthetic blood.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!