World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Oh, yeah, before I forget...

Earlier Coaan, Keevan, and I were in a match on Abby and we were completely out classed. Like we were the bottom three tanks in a KV and a pair of T1 Heavies and the upper 7 tanks were all tier eight or nine tanks. Instead of hiding behind cover or whining about how unfair the match was for us we tuned right and drove up the 8 line. We'd correctly guessed that the other team's main force would come down the 8, and instead of dying uselessly pinging shots off of IS-4s and T-32s, we turned sideways, lined up nut to butt and blocked the path entirely. We won the match for our team by trapping their main push in a narrow alley while the rest of our team waltz right into their cap virtually unopposed.

Moral of the story is this: Don't whine, don't be a bitch, and don't die uselessly. Make a plan and do your level damnedest to fuck the other team as best you can.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Thunderfire wrote:
xthetenth wrote: M3 Lee is probably my best tank. It's got a gun like a TD, hell it's even better armed than the T-28 except for penetration.
No it has the gun of a close combat tank. High ROF+average penetration. This gun is nice on a fast medium tank e.g. M7. I want high penetration or a large HE shell when I am fighting higher tier enemies.
I once solo'd a Ferdinand with an M7. He was at 47%

He took like 20 shots to die. I was hitting the rear and shots were still bouncing off.

It was still totally awesome though.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Okay, I just got the T1's second engine. The goddamn thing drives like a sports car practically. I was weaving through trees just for the lulz. Hell, it's nimble enough to get my medium senses tingling. I circled an IS around a building with no problems and got the odd shot in. It also can throw down almost as well as a KV with the right gun. Sure it can't DPS with the 107 and it can't do the alpha snipe, but it hits solidly and is much faster to align to target.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Just got a seven kill Top Gun in my T1 Heavy and I'm averaging at least one kill a match with it. Two Top Guns and three snipers so far with a 24 hit Sharpshooter and a 13 hit Master Gunner. Seriously, if some of you still think the T1 Heavy is a bad tank and you're on the North American server just hop into the SDN chat and me and Tenth will show you how it's done.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Mr. Coffee wrote:...don't die uselessly.
This.

It's EPICALLY annoying when you are losing, but still can turn the match around, and your superheavy just drives off somewhere so it gets mobbed and killed. Or when your scouts rush before anyone is ready to support them and all die.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Well, some matches you really can't help but die in a fire. Had a couple cases of this tonight while running an M5 Stuart (I just want to get an M7, never got to drive one during the beta). Light fast scouts are great if you've got some artillery (provided the arty players are actually competent), or as spotters for TDs, but when it's one of those rare all tank matches and you're the bottom of the pile light in a match full of high end mediums of heavies, just run on out and go for a scout medal so you can die fast and move on to the next match. The example I gave on the Abby was one of those times that we had the right tanks in the right place and the enemy acted predictably.

Also, if the map is Campinovka just rush out and die fast so you don't spend 10 or 15 minutes looking over a berm waiting for someone to finally do something. Seriously, fuck that map.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Nah, you can attack in Campinovka. You just need more coordination than usual.

I had some of my best matches there, and when you push through a flank by coordinating your advance it's incredibly awesome.

Yeah, I agree that there are matches where the most you can do is get killed, but they are rare. You can help, even if all you do is identify the main enemy thrust.

BTW, the next patch will feature an improved mini-map.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Mr. Coffee wrote:I don't have any trouble at all fucking up a KV at range with the 76mm on the T1 heavy. Only thing I've gott worry about is iff he's got the derp tube or that 107mm mounted. Derp tube can sometimes oneshot a T1 and the 107 is accurate and has a metric fuckton of penetration.
Compare the armament of a T1 and a M4. The M4 get two gun upgrades the T1 just 1 which the M4 also gets. The T1 feels like an oversized M4 with an inferior gun selection. The T1 would be a good tank if it had a gun comparable to the 107mm e.g. the 90mm gun the M6 gets. Most KV I fight have the 152mm or the 107mm gun.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Thunderfire wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:I don't have any trouble at all fucking up a KV at range with the 76mm on the T1 heavy. Only thing I've gott worry about is iff he's got the derp tube or that 107mm mounted. Derp tube can sometimes oneshot a T1 and the 107 is accurate and has a metric fuckton of penetration.
Compare the armament of a T1 and a M4. The M4 get two gun upgrades the T1 just 1 which the M4 also gets. The T1 feels like an oversized M4 with an inferior gun selection. The T1 would be a good tank if it had a gun comparable to the 107mm e.g. the 90mm gun the M6 gets. Most KV I fight have the 152mm or the 107mm gun.
Most KV have a much harder time with more agile threats. To only have a slightly harder time with agile threats, they need to sacrifice their firepower.

Shermans aren't heavy tanks and can't drive like a heavy tank. They can't rest secure in the knowledge they can trade shots with most everything and point their front at people and know that half or more the enemy team can't penetrate them.

The T1 is not the most heavily armed tank, it isn't the most heavily armored tank (on the sides at least), it isn't the fastest tank, it isn't the nimblest tank (although it accelerates great and turns better than some mediums). It's just very solid in every regard. It can just about trade shots with a KV with any decent positioning, it can do an acceptable job of ranged fire, it can throw down with just about anything close up if driven well, and it can react to the battlefield much better than anything its size has any right doing.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

Generally, no one is online while I am. Stupid Australia and it's silly not being in LoS of the Sun at the same time as the USA. Although sometimes I leave it on overnight. "comradeda", for those that don't know.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

defanatic wrote:Generally, no one is online while I am. Stupid Australia and it's silly not being in LoS of the Sun at the same time as the USA. Although sometimes I leave it on overnight. "comradeda", for those that don't know.
Oh we met yesterday for a bit ;)

Also yesterday, I have remarkably survived a match in my T-28 where I was at the bottom of the pile and everyone was one or two tiers above me (I'm talking Easy Eight shermans, KV-3s, etc) and got three kills, too.

That thing is a really overgrown, overarmed light tank. If you remember to dance away from artillery fire and dash from firing spot to firing spot it can really put some hurt on people, even on rather heavy tanks. That just ties with Coffee's assertion that most of the horrible tanks in the game are not in fact horrible, just poorly driven, since people bitch terribly at the T-28 (and granted it WAS a poor tank in reality).

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

PeZook wrote: Also yesterday, I have remarkably survived a match in my T-28 where I was at the bottom of the pile and everyone was one or two tiers above me (I'm talking Easy Eight shermans, KV-3s, etc) and got three kills, too.
The T-28 is one of the best Tier 4 tanks when you are at the bottom of the food chain. It gets two great guns with the 85mm and the 57mm ZIS-4. Second row support for friendly heavies is an effective strategy when you are driving a T-28.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

I've recently started playing again, so I wanted to address this post, as it just fits:
Thunderfire wrote: T2 medium - I want armor or speed. The M2 light is fast and nearly as well armored as the T2 medium.
M3 Lee - No turret. It is a target drone for most Tier5+ tanks
T1+M6 - They are heavy tanks. The KV series is better and some medium tanks get a better gun selection.
The T2 medium is simply brilliant in the Tier 1 matches. In 13 matches, I have 2 Top guns and 26 kills. In Tier 1 matches, you simply have to stay back a bit and sniper from there, or - if the map allows it - attack from one flank where you can kill one or two Tier 1 noob tanks at a time. They die in 3-4 hits, which you can often do before they are properly able to retaliate. Hell, in the game I just played, I got 5 kills before I was even fired at.

Of course then I got cocky and ran into too many tanks at once and died, but if you don't do that you can dish out tons of damage.

I look forward to getting the T1 heavy and the M6 again - I loved playing with them during the beta. You just have to know when you can fight as a heavy (hint: in low-tier matches), and when you have to play like a sneaky tank destroyer (hint: high-tier matches). The nice thing about the T1 heavy is the high rate of fire of its gun, if you come out from the side or behind a target, you can pump in 3-4 shots before he can properly react. In addition, the size makes it possible to use many rocks as cover and shoot over them. Alternatively, with the T1 heavy you can use corners very effectively, as the turret is quite far forward. That way your size isn't that much of a disadvantage.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I just want to restate for the record again how much I absolutely love the T-29. It's a fucking fantastic tank. Best T7 heavy in the game. Still have to unlock the 105mm gun, but it just murders faces. If you can keep hull down, you can mix it up with Tier 8 and 9 and stay in the fight long after the IS and Tigers get blown away.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

After a horrid streak on my T-28 with ten losses and no kills, I finally got the long 57mm.

I killed 9 tanks on my first match with it.

It is now time for VENGEANCE. Also, the 85mm should come along nicely soon enough.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

I mysteriously only have wins with my MS-1.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Which is better? SPGs T57 or the M2 Medium?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

You might as well ask "What's better, a Ferrari or a Mack truck". Tanks, SPGs, and TDs all have completely different play styles and capabilities. Just try them all and see what you like doing most. Or be like me, tenth, and Coaan and get good with all three vehicle categories.

Also, I just got my T29 back. It's like finding a long lost friend made of a American steel and awesome. Damn, it's good to be a gangsta...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I should finally have my KV today. Would've had it yesterday, but the matchmaking monkey suddenly got its hate on against my T-28 :D

So I can finally get going with a proper heavy tank. Bwahahahaha.

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

D.Turtle wrote: The T2 medium is simply brilliant in the Tier 1 matches. In 13 matches, I have 2 Top guns and 26 kills. In Tier 1 matches, you simply have to stay back a bit and sniper from there, or - if the map allows it - attack from one flank where you can kill one or two Tier 1 noob tanks at a time. They die in 3-4 hits, which you can often do before they are properly able to retaliate. Hell, in the game I just played, I got 5 kills before I was even fired at.

Of course then I got cocky and ran into too many tanks at once and died, but if you don't do that you can dish out tons of damage.
Any tank is able to do this to noobs. A good tier 2 tank is able to run into several tanks an get out alive. The Hotchkiss, Pz35 and well driven T2/M2 light are able to do this.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I consider it a bad game with my Hotchkiss if I get less than four kills.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks

Post by PeZook »

The "beta" in the title was annoying me, so I edited it out ;)

And man, it's like the game knows I am only 4k exp from a KV and crashes on me to waste my daily bonus and then lines me up with entire teams of Tigers.

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Hotchkiss really is one of the more "imba" tanks out there because of its opposition, albeit 4 kills for a good match may be too high a bar. The damn thing is slow as hell and if your team is competent enough they may be able to kill off enough tanks to prevent you from getting 4 kills :p.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Tried the T57 and hated it. Too slow in speed and reloading times and just about completely useless when an enemy tank manages to get behind me.

Only managed a single kill after several games and that was only because I was on a suicide mission because I was the last guy on my team. So I went on the offensive, found a tank, one-shot him before being blown up by an arty.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Enigma wrote:Tried the T57 and hated it. Too slow in speed and reloading times and just about completely useless when an enemy tank manages to get behind me.
Uhm the T-57 is an artillery. It can be used as a TD in an emergency situation - but you should be driving behind a group of friendly tanks. Go into artillery mode(left shift) and support you allies with artillery fire.