World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Enigma »

Thunderfire wrote:
Enigma wrote:Tried the T57 and hated it. Too slow in speed and reloading times and just about completely useless when an enemy tank manages to get behind me.
Uhm the T-57 is an artillery. It can be used as a TD in an emergency situation - but you should be driving behind a group of friendly tanks. Go into artillery mode(left shift) and support you allies with artillery fire.

I know it is an arty and I tend to stay behind friendlies but its practically useless when an enemy tank breaks free and is virtually free to knock me out without retaliation. Plus the ammo reload is very slow, and the turning rate is painful.

The kill I made was because I was the only tank left in my team and decided to go in a suicide charge and managed to one shot a tank before being blown up by an enemy arty.

Maybe later when I go deeper into the U.S. research tree that I'll buy an SPG or a TD. Or get an early German SPG.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

HIde in the bushes and don't fire if enemy tanks are nearby so you're not detected.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

My thoughts yesterday:

Yay, KV! Hurrah!

Match 1: Holy shit I'm on the bottom of the pile and why is everybody else two tiers above me? Crap what was that was I just one shotted? Oh yes yes I was by a Jadgtiger.

Match 2: Oh man bottom of the pile again and the match is full of IS-4s...

So, what's the point of moving up a tier? I hoped to play the role of the team bruiser for once, yet I feel like I'm still driving the MS-1...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Because eventually you reach 9 or 10 and then suddenly you are most definitely the bruiser. :twisted:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

doom3607 wrote:Because eventually you reach 9 or 10 and then suddenly you are most definitely the bruiser. :twisted:
Yeah, after six months. So anything below Tier IX is essentially a light tank? :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
doom3607
Jedi Knight

Post by doom3607 »

Let's go with that, sure. I vote the PRFY uses no light tanks in its forces. I further vote that we name at least one unit the Heavy Armor Brigade, and it shall be composed solely of T10. :twisted:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The PRFY probably won't be formed, because it's extremely rare to see more than 2-3 people on at any one time, and we need regular activity of 15+ to make clan wars viable.

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

PeZook wrote:My thoughts yesterday:

Yay, KV! Hurrah!

Match 1: Holy shit I'm on the bottom of the pile and why is everybody else two tiers above me? Crap what was that was I just one shotted? Oh yes yes I was by a Jadgtiger.

Match 2: Oh man bottom of the pile again and the match is full of IS-4s...

So, what's the point of moving up a tier? I hoped to play the role of the team bruiser for once, yet I feel like I'm still driving the MS-1...
The Matchmaking engine starts to suck when you reach tier4/5/6. On the KV use the 122mm until you are able to use the 152mm gun. Unlock the 107mm before you advance to the KV-3. The 107mm is one of the best guns for a tier5/6 tank.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Ignore the KV-3, it's "armor" is still too unreliable and it is far too slow, once you commit to attacking in any direction you can't turn back. The KV-1s might not have armor, but once you get the 85 or 122 it is one of the best snipers around. Just play it like you play the T-28 and you should be good. If you find a direction is blocked go another way since you are basically as fast as a medium tank and have better armor weapons and hp.

The only thing I am going to research on my KV is the big turret (just so I can bet the KV-2 when they change it out of the KV line), the 122 short and on into the KV-1s.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Agent Sorchus wrote: The only thing I am going to research on my KV is the big turret (just so I can bet the KV-2 when they change it out of the KV line), the 122 short and on into the KV-1s.
The KV with the 107mm gun is a great credit making machine. You need credit maker when you want to buy/maintain an expensive tank.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The 152mm derp gun for the KV is a nice and all, but it's reload speed pretty much negates it's usefulness if you don't hit with the very first shot. The 107mm is a much better choice, better accuracy, better pen, and a much better rate of fire. For the KV-3 though... Get the 122mm. It's friggin' evil.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The 107mm is a really good gun that can be recommended even up to the KV-3, largely because it comebines good power with decent reload times. The long 122mm is really powerful, but the reload time is fairly long and the ammo is expensive.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

What the deuce is a "derp gun"?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I was wondering the same thing, actually

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

aieeegrunt wrote:What the deuce is a "derp gun"?
It's a gun that can flat out fucking derp your ass if you get hit with it. Teir 5s or smaller tend to die in a fire against the KV's 152mm gun, and even tier 6 tanks have a har time not dying to them. Downsides to it is you can tell a derp KV a long ways off (Refrigerator turret with a sewer pipe sticking out of it). About the only way to get around them is how they miss and then immediately bring down a shitload of fire on it to kill it the damn things.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I don't know if it that person had tunnel vision but I had a teammate wedge his tank against mine and was trying to shoot at an enemy through my tank! Fortunately, even at point blank range the idiot didn't even scratch the paint of my tank. That idiot got the point when I shot him and took down 20 to 30 HP in one shot and he backed up as fast as he could. Moron!
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Some people are just like that. I've seen attacks massacred by single tanks because they couldn't figure out a simple concept like "firing line", and thus only allowed only one tank to fire at the enemy at a time.

Happens a lot in cities.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I don't play much just because I wasn't that active in the beta and with the grind being even longer without free sky gold each day, but I still hate when some idiot in a fast tank tracks you and claims that you should have let him through. I tend to not care about what might happen and just kill them if they're a bottom tier tank.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

PeZook wrote:Some people are just like that. I've seen attacks massacred by single tanks because they couldn't figure out a simple concept like "firing line", and thus only allowed only one tank to fire at the enemy at a time.

Happens a lot in cities.
But it was an open area and the idiot had many places to choose to fire on the enemy but decided that my spot was his.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Enigma wrote:
PeZook wrote:Some people are just like that. I've seen attacks massacred by single tanks because they couldn't figure out a simple concept like "firing line", and thus only allowed only one tank to fire at the enemy at a time.

Happens a lot in cities.
But it was an open area and the idiot had many places to choose to fire on the enemy but decided that my spot was his.
THis is why when Tenth, Coaan, and me run in a T29 platoon we try to have out formation order worked out and what our general plan is for a given map ready to go before the timer finishes. Unless you're in an IS-3 or bigger you really don't want to be on the recieving end of a hull-down T29 chorus line.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Enigma wrote:

Happens a lot in cities.
THis is why when Tenth, Coaan, and me run in a T29 platoon we try to have out formation order worked out and what our general plan is for a given map ready to go before the timer finishes. Unless you're in an IS-3 or bigger you really don't want to be on the recieving end of a hull-down T29 chorus line.
My heaviest tank is the T2 Medium. I need about 68K to grab an M2 medium.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Enigma wrote:

Happens a lot in cities.
Hell, even IS-3s tend to get hammered into paste by the T-29. Let alone 3 of them. Just aim for that sweet wide soap-dish hull they have.

IS-4s do make me crap my pants, though.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Whee. I just passed the 1kill/match ratio on my T-28 and avenged my ten match winless/killess streak. Love the 57mm much more than the 85mm.

I still need to work to get out of the -30 win/loss record though thanks to all the bad matches I had with the M4A3E4. But the Grant and T-28 are nicely fixing out my record now :D.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

For those of you that don't like arty or can't drive arty for shit...

I just got a topgun medal on a nine kill streak with my M7 Priest. Killed all three of the other team's artillery pieces and five of their tanks. Their arty drivers were dumber then a sack of hammers too. ProTip: When two shells come down either side of you it means you're bracketed and the next round is going to land right on top of you, so you might want to move your ass if you don't want to die in a fire. Remember, if you fire more than two rounds and you're still in the same place you are doing it wrong. Shoot and scoot, people, shoot and scoot.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Also, most arty people can't pick targets for shit. Good arty can help a team IMMENSELY if they concentrate on killing tanks that can put out hurt on your team. But no, let's drop a shell on the first tank we see and OH SHIT AN IS I AM NOT READY TO FIRE ARGH *DIES*.