What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by weemadando »

Shadow Chaser by Alexey Pehov. Eastern European fantasy > Western high fantasy fapping.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm into A Feast for Crows, and I remember why it's usually considered the weakest of the four books out so far. Some parts of it are excellent, but others just completely drag onward.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hopefully its because all the good characters are in Dance With Dragons. Hence it would be extra specially awesome.

But I'm not holding my breath on that.

Myself, I'm reaching the end of the Young Hornblower Omnibus and then going to move on to the new New Frontier novel and then Dead Beat of The Dresden Files.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I finished my re-read of A Feast for Crows a few hours ago (I couldn't put it down).

It actually gets much better as it goes on. Even the Spoiler
Brienne chapters
were much better and interesting on my re-read. Septon Maribald is a fascinating fellow.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I'm rereading Mario Puzo's the Family. His Borgia's don't seem to be having as nearly much fun as the people on Showtime, though.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm reading Bart Ehrman's Forged, about early Christianity.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Pelranius wrote:I'm rereading Mario Puzo's the Family. His Borgia's don't seem to be having as nearly much fun as the people on Showtime, though.
I got through about 50 pages before I stopped and gave up on that book.

Speaking of the Borgias, I just finished Gregory Maguire's Mirror Mirror. I loved how he melded the Snow White legend with 16th century Italy and the height of the Borgias.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

New Zahn SW coming out soon, as well as the Thrawn 20th Anniversary trilogy (!!!). Can't friggin' wait, The Silmarillion is fucking killing me. I am literally aching to dip back into some good SWEU.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

The Silmarillion was impossible for me to get through. I just stopped caring at some point as the random names just flowed past. I felt pretty bad, my sister got me the copy that matched my LotR set and my copy of The Hobbit, for my birthday. I've never had the heart to tell her I'm not a huge fan of Tolkien. She still tells me when she sees one of the movies playing on TV, as if I want to watch them again this quarter century.
XXXI
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Phantasee wrote:The Silmarillion was impossible for me to get through. I just stopped caring at some point as the random names just flowed past. I felt pretty bad, my sister got me the copy that matched my LotR set and my copy of The Hobbit, for my birthday. I've never had the heart to tell her I'm not a huge fan of Tolkien. She still tells me when she sees one of the movies playing on TV, as if I want to watch them again this quarter century.
I loved LotR and The Hobbit, but if I have to hear about fucking Feanor and Finarfin and Manwe and Melkor blah blah blah I'ma stab Gollum in the face.
To Absent Friends

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Nothing new yet. Still waiting anxiously for October. Why?

One word. Snuff. Three more words. Sam freaking Vimes. :mrgreen:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Heard an excerpt of Snuff read at a recent lecture by Pratchett I attended. Its classic Vimes.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And I finished Shadow Chaser.

Fucking great. Stop rereading Game of Thrones and read this series you twats.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

weemadando wrote:And I finished Shadow Chaser.

I just read the free sample chapter for Shadow Prowler on Amazon. I'm underwhelmed, to be honest. The prose in particular was a major turn-off.

I'm still reading Forged, although I've also been reading Pakistan: A Hard Country by Anatol Lieven.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And the reams of unedited guff that comprises much of GoT is better?

Gotta remember that the series has been translated. And though the prose mightn't come through clean, the take on fantasy it gives is great.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Countdown: The Liberators by Tom Kratman. I know it's bad for me but I can't stop reading his books, this one's more or less A Desert Called Peace set on Earth in the present. Raise a mercenary army, go break things and kill people. I was satisfied. Yeah, I know, I don't exactly have much in the way standards here.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Steve wrote:Nothing new yet. Still waiting anxiously for October. Why?

One word. Snuff. Three more words. Sam freaking Vimes. :mrgreen:
Fuck, I forgot. I hope it'll get the taste of Unseen Academicals out of my mouth.
To Absent Friends

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

weemadando wrote:And the reams of unedited guff that comprises much of GoT is better?
Much better.

Unfortunately, I must have accidentally pulled out my bookmark on Forged, because I can't find my place again. Oh well. I got the main point anyways, and Ehrman has had a tendency to belabor everything to death in his books anyways.

Pakistan: A Hard Country is still excellent. I recommend it for anyone interested in Pakistan.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

JME2 wrote:
Pelranius wrote:I'm rereading Mario Puzo's the Family. His Borgia's don't seem to be having as nearly much fun as the people on Showtime, though.
I got through about 50 pages before I stopped and gave up on that book.

Speaking of the Borgias, I just finished Gregory Maguire's Mirror Mirror. I loved how he melded the Snow White legend with 16th century Italy and the height of the Borgias.
I didn't mind it, but I'm generally a sucker for period literature.

Am rereading the Force Heretic trilogy of the NJO just because (well, more like skimming it through).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

weemadando wrote:And I finished Shadow Chaser.

Sell me on it. What's it about and why would I like it? I just read the cover flap in the store, and it sounded like a painfully by-the-numbers fantasy quest to find the magic heirloom to save humanity. The hero is a thief, apparently from a kingdom of thieves (or a guild?). What makes this any different from 1,000 other fantasy novels?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Hard to say.

There's still orcs, elves, goblins, magic and all that.

But there's something about the setting and characters that is different enough to the usual fantasy tropes.

It's not the greatest book that you'll ever read, but it's a nice, grittier/darker (but not grimdark, just that classic post-Soviet "the world is a cunt" view) on fantasy.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm currently reading Ubukata Tow's Mardock Scramble. This is the third Japanese sci-fi novel I've read recently and I've been impressed by all of them so far. While it wasn't as immediately gripping as All You Need Is Kill (ie. the best piece of written military science fiction), and it didn't have the strong pacing of Black Hole Sun, which was made up of short stories, it really grew on me. It's a gritty cyberpunk excursion into the unfortunate life of teenage prostitute Rune-Balot after she's blown up as part of a tax scam. Balot is saved by Doctor Easter and his Stuart Little meets T1000 partner Oefcoque and rebuilt as the Six Million Dollar Bishoujo with the innate ability to manipulate electronic equipment. They take her attempted murderer, Shell, to court.

Going to court in Mardock City involves having to fight off the defendant's grotesque hired assassins. It doesn't rely on sex and violence, and a lot of the first novel, The First Compression, is about Balot coming to terms with herself and her lot in life. As Balot comes to understand why she is the way she is and why she is afraid of Shell, it's hard to dislike her even if she is pretty maladjusted. The revelatory moment she has about Shell during her court appearance is pretty powerful. I hear that the second and third novels are actually mostly about gambling and the characters themselves, which will be interesting: a change from relying on bursts of violence. I'll be interested in seeing the animated adaptation that screened in Japan at the end of last year.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Just started in on the 6th Hitchhiker's book (Eoin Colfer). So far it feels less like Adams and more like someone doing their damnedest to approximate him, but it's not altogether that bad.
To Absent Friends

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Mind of the Raven by Bernd Heinrich. It's a fun read about ravens and how their social lives work, mainly, and how they think. Quite nice.

I need to start back on House of Leaves again, though. I stopped in the middle of it because I was busy and haven't gotten back around to it yet.

I also need to get back into my goliath Wilderness Warrior by Douglass Brinkley, a 900 page behemoth biography about TR. It's also a good book, but luckily it's a biography so I don't feel so bad about putting it down.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Dalton wrote:Just started in on the 6th Hitchhiker's book (Eoin Colfer). So far it feels less like Adams and more like someone doing their damnedest to approximate him, but it's not altogether that bad.
Verdict: Meh. Too many guide interruptions, too many random names and way too disjointed, plus the ending sucked. Colfer gave it a fair go but it ain't Adams. And really, Wowbagger? Really?
To Absent Friends