X-wing vs. AQ

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

X-wing vs. AQ

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Assume that Q brings an X-wing into the AQ, and has it take on the Alpha Quadrant in an Endurance type scenario like in Rogue Leader. The X-wing is piloted by someone of Rogue Squadron standards. How much of the Alpha Quadrant can the X-wing destroy or otherwise render inoperable?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

If all Rogue Squadron pilots could easily take out ISDs, then one of them should have no problem dealing with Feds.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: X-wing vs. AQ

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Assume that Q brings an X-wing into the AQ, and has it take on the Alpha Quadrant in an Endurance type scenario like in Rogue Leader. The X-wing is piloted by someone of Rogue Squadron standards. How much of the Alpha Quadrant can the X-wing destroy or otherwise render inoperable?
With a full load of proton torpedoes the X-Wing can destroymost any capital ship, and a lot of space stations would be venerable. It may be that the kiloton laser cannons can also do crippling damage to smaller capital ships.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Imperial Federation
Youngling

Post by Imperial Federation »

These guys are used to dodging Imperial anti-starfighter cannons, I doubt there'd be much in the Alpha Quadrant that could actually hit them.
All members of the Imperial Redshirt Troopers are expected to die horribly for their Empire!
Go, and get killed in the most pointless way imaginable!
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Eh. The X-wing would probably be good against a single, non-heavily-armed target. Maybe two. Its only hope against big ships, really, is its torpedoes... which can get used up REALLY quickly. Remember... an X-wing may be packing some nice heat, but a single phaser blast from a Galaxy or Nebula could potentially kill it.
The Great and Malignant
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Aye and remeber the X-wing has a surviale advantage agian its got Hyperdrive

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
HRogge
Jedi Master

Re: X-wing vs. AQ

Post by HRogge »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Assume that Q brings an X-wing into the AQ, and has it take on the Alpha Quadrant in an Endurance type scenario like in Rogue Leader. The X-wing is piloted by someone of Rogue Squadron standards. How much of the Alpha Quadrant can the X-wing destroy or otherwise render inoperable?
The X-Wing would do some destruction but after this it would loose because of fuel and spare parts.

Another problem might be that X-Wing sensors are not able to collect data for new nav-charts...
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Oh ya, what type of astromech is on the X-Wing?

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Umm ... the X-wing has an R2.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

I thought they were upgraded to R5's? Oh yeah, and is it the new X-Wing, the J type, or the old one seen in the OT?

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I thought the XJs were for the Jedi. Anyway, it's a Rebellion-era T-65 X-wing, so the R5's haven't replaced the R2's yet.
Secularism—since AD 80
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

I still think the X-Wing would do pretty well. But then again, once StarFleet masses up a lot of ships, they could pound it to hell. Even one ship might end it's rampage with a tractor beam.

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Maybe a R5 unit could calculate a hyperspace jump, but without a starchart it's lost... X-Wings are fighters, they don't carry the equipment to map a galaxy quadrant.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I say the X-Wing will probably be able to kill just one Federation starship before running out of fuel or ammunition.

Remember, starfighters are meant for short duration combat. They aren't cruisers.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Raxmei wrote:I say the X-Wing will probably be able to kill just one Federation starship before running out of fuel or ammunition.

Remember, starfighters are meant for short duration combat. They aren't cruisers.
True, but the X-Wing is allowed to have a firebase then it might stand a chance otherwiseit is doomed cause without resupply it won't survive
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

supply isn't an issue, in an endurance scenario Starfleet will come to the x-wing, this is just Q messing around to see how much damage an x-wing could do to AQ ships. The x-wing is eventually doomed, more by pilot fatigue than anything else, unless his R2 is capable of effectively fighting, in which case the stress built up by continual combat manuevers and firing will do the x-wing in.
When you say Rogue Squadron pilot, do you mean bad-ass(Tycho, Pash Cracken), normal(Lujayne Forge, Nawara Ven), or completely shitty(your wingmen in Rogue Leader)
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Mediocre Rogue Sqaudron. We want the AQ ships to be a challenge.
Secularism—since AD 80
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

You know, this would be a funny mod for a Star Wars computer game. "Awww, I only destroyed 500 GCS, guess I'll have to try again."
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

LOL

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

If your wingment in Rouge Leader went out alone, they wouldn't last a second. Anyway, torpedoes could do a lot of damage to a Federation ship, but it would run out quickly. It would easily dodge capship cannons, though. Are you given "extra lives"?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Uh...no. There has to be some semblance of reality in this unrealistic scenario, and extra lives would ruin that.
Secularism—since AD 80
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

VS anything but the Defiant this would be a slaughter

Escpaily Big Slaughters
Kligion Ships-Fixed Weapons! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD day for them
Any other ship with Fixed Weapons-REAAAAAAAAAAAAALY bad day

I'd say any more than 3 GCS at the same time could catch them him/her in a cross fire and pump enough power to take down the shields plus proximitiy fused Torps to herd them in a specfic area could work(Dumb-fire them left and right of the ship)

Still depends on how bright the Commanders of the Ships are

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The X-wing is doomed, but it won't be a slaughter. Considering how maneuverable the X-wing is, and how shitty ST accuracy is, The X-wing is more likely to die from fuel consumption and life support failure than actually getting shot down.
Secularism—since AD 80
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

The X-wing is doomed, but it won't be a slaughter. Considering how maneuverable the X-wing is, and how shitty ST accuracy is, The X-wing is more likely to die from fuel consumption and life support failure than actually getting shot down.
agreed, the x-wing is simply going to run out of consumables which will doom it, the chances of it actually being shot down by AQ ships are pretty low.[/code]
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
tharkûn
Tireless defender of wealthy businessmen

Post by tharkûn »

The real questions are:
1. How many torps can it carry?
2. Can they tractor it?

We have seen the feddies tractor very small ships/fighters so I'm betting on them being able to tractor the thing. So you just adopt the convoy system (which the feddies should use anyways). A bunch of light ships at the edges of the convoy/in planetary orbit. X-wing comes out of hyperspace, makes an attack run. Tractor the thing (with 4 beams if possible) and then proceed to pound the heck out of it.

It will likely kill ships till it runs low on torps and/or the feddies get it held in position where they can just pound on it with phototorps.

And yes it makes perfect sense to be able to tractor *one* fighter and not being able to tractor many fighters as observed in the dominion war. You have minimal jamming, only *1* vector of attack, and nobody else to nail you when you sit still to hammer the guy. Its like the proposed NMD ... 1 missile is supposed to be a peice of cake. 150 will make it pointless.