World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Bluewolf »

By the way, in case anyone knows, do team kills deduct from your overall kills?
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Oh yes they do. And they massively reduce the income of both credits and xp you get in that battle. I completely accidentally hit a friend with my kv (the shot flew right over the Hetzer I was aiming at) and even though I got a kill to counter that bad shot I ended up with 0 credits and 3xp.

Just don't unless it is a team killer who does it right at the beginning of the match. Accidents happen, but so do assholes.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

It's generally better to just screen cap and report a TKer though, unless it's a psycho who's shooting at every friendly he can reach. In those cases, put down the heretic quick :P.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Man, had an awesome battle in my KV-3 (107mm atm) last night. Was the biggest tank so only ended up with

Victory!
Battle: Lakeville Sunday June 12 2011 8:47:31
Vehicle: KV-3
Received Experience: 3722 (doubled for the first battle every day) credits: 48,637
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Sharpshooter, Master Gunner, Reaper, Sniper

While I had better xp/credits in beta battles, I don't think I ever got more medals in one fight. Just one of those fights where everything seems to bounce when it hits your tank while nothing can stop your rampage.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

Broken wrote:Man, had an awesome battle in my KV-3 (107mm atm) last night. Was the biggest tank so only ended up with

Victory!
Battle: Lakeville Sunday June 12 2011 8:47:31
Vehicle: KV-3
Received Experience: 3722 (doubled for the first battle every day) credits: 48,637
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Sharpshooter, Master Gunner, Reaper, Sniper

While I had better xp/credits in beta battles, I don't think I ever got more medals in one fight. Just one of those fights where everything seems to bounce when it hits your tank while nothing can stop your rampage.
Thats awesome! Are you on a premium account? And where did you rampage? West through the mountain pass or east through the city?
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I am on a premium account, which helps tremendously with the grind. I started in the southern cap and ran up through the city, quickly left behind by the faster stuff. I was taking the far east road through the town when I ran into a VK3601 trying to sneak through the town and behind our tanks so we dueled and I killed him in 2 or 3 shots (he was already at 70% or so). After that I just rolled up the road murdering everything in my path.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I now have the Sherman with the 105mm gun, and life is good.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Okay, I think the Sherman 105mm was truly made for me. I just managed to drag my average to 1 kill per match, by killing three Tigers (two Mk I, one King Tiger) in one round.

I didn't realize doing that entitled you to another medal too :D.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Ugh, here I am struggling through with the M37 and the M3 Lee right now. Certainly doesn't help that I'm fighting stuff 3 or 4 tiers above me. I am getting better with the M37, but I'm only halfway to the xp needed to get the M7. M3 is just suck with me.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I've said it before, I'll say it again. There's one tank in each tree that people suffer with. It's normally in Tier 4 and there's really nothing you can do about it. For the Americans, it's the Lee. The Sherman more than makes up for it.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Personally, I never found the Lee to be that bad. The gun is decent enough against most opponents.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

When you play it enough to unlock the Sherman, T1, and Priest, it's that bad.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I did for the Sherman and T1 (not the Priest though) :p. I personally had more problems with the Mk III, albeit it may be more of a playstyle issue than anything else (I'm much better with German TDs).
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Slacker wrote:When you play it enough to unlock the Sherman, T1, and Priest, it's that bad.
The M3 Lee is a below average TD in the US medium/heavy line. But most tier 4 vehicles are pretty bad. The T-28 , PzKfw. III and the Hetzer are the best vehicles of their tier. Scout tanks are even worse because they have to fight tier 9 enemies.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, the T-28 and Hetzer are superior to the Lee. Dunno about the Mk III though. Maybe I should stop using its long 50mm and go 75mm derp.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Patch going up tonight. Highlights: M10 and M36, at long last.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

I've just re-created my account - CockneyWeasel. I havn't played since a month or two before the Beta ended. Are there any major changes or suggestions I should be aware of?
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The low level US TDs seem VERY good. But the Jackson and M10... I dunno yet.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

It's amusing seeing swarms of T-18s.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Good grief. The new voices are aural poison.

Not really tried the US TDs, they seem to come in three categories: tall and short, turreted tinfoil and low and slow.

None of which overly appeal. I had a match earlier in my new 3001(H) and despite 3 Wolverines pouring fire on me at ~100m, I managed to take out one and knock another to half. Not exactly impressed.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Wolverines haven't impressed me so far. They're too weak armor-wise (managed to one-shot one with a Sherman 105) and the gun isn't very good. Maybe with more experienced players, the Wolverine can impress, but I haven't seen a standout action for the Wolverine yet.

The tall and short ones though are like little Hetzers with a 105mm. Quite deadly when properly employed - but fortunately they're not often well employed.

Also, funnily, I killed my first T-29 in a Hetzer.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

IIRC, to be fair, that the major flaw with the real US TDs was that they were made of tinfoil and had (relatively) crappy guns. So they've captured that aspect perfectly.

I really should try my Hetzer again now that it can move. But now I'm trying to chew through the 3001s. I'm not minding the (H), it's like the PzIV+. Shame about the armour though. 50mm and a slab for the front.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Hetzer's much better now than the last time I played it back in beta. Mine has something like 1.25 kills per match with three T-29s already to its name.

Also, more on the US TDs: I'm beginning to suspect the Wolverine can be really good, but people are still figuring out its shitty traverse and turret turning.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Gotta love a 5x experience weekend.

Victory!
Battle: Redshire
Vehicle: T29
Received Experience: 9875 () credits: 59,982
Battle Achievements: None (got 5 kills so missed Top Gun by 1)

Not a single medal, but still a great victory. Fun fight, although a third of my team suicided into enemy lines in the first 2 minutes of the match. Found a nice spot where a hill covered the weak hull of the tank and the 2 russian TD's (ISU-152's, iirc) couldn't get a shot at me without coming from around their cover. Had a couple brief long-range duels that went nowhere as the action shifted to the other end of the map. Once things quieted down a JagdPz IV scooted out a touch and I rolled right up the hill the other team was holding. I think I had one kill at that point, but finished off 3 more tanks on the hill; got to the top of it and finished off the last member of the enemy team, a lowe. Ended the game with 5 kills, 2 or 3 damaged, and 2 spotted. Not too bad for a very tier 8 heavy game (each team had like 5 or 6 tier 8's).

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I jumped back in to try the US TD's and even the T82 which people bitch about is great. Just started with the T40 and went from the 57mm to the first 76mm gun and I think they're both excellent weapons. Thus far I've only managed 3 matches, but I'm still 3 for 3 wins, 6 kills and I've only died once. It shows how many bad players there still are, especially in the US TD tree.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...