The Washington Post isn't real journalism

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

The Washington Post isn't real journalism

Post by Dominus Atheos »

The Village Enquirer wrote:Poll: Is Michelle Obama a hypocrite for loving burgers?
By Tim Carman

Is Michelle Obama a poor role model for children with regards to eating habits? (Marvin Joseph/The Washington Post)

Conservatives smelled fresh meat on Monday when first lady Michelle Obama dared to order what was once considered an All-American meal at Shake Shack. Her lunch consisted of a burger, fries, a chocolate shake and a Diet Coke (you know, to keep the calories down), a meal that totalled about 1,700 calories, according to the 44 blog.

Here’s one of the comments from Natalie Jennings’s blog post:

“Burger, fries, Coke, and a shake? I’d bust with that much food.

“Unlike multi-mansion Al Gore, the first lady needs to set an example rather than an exception. Let’s hear about her daily exercise routine, assuming she has one. No more ‘do as I say, not as I do’ from our national leaders.”

Nutritionists were quick to come to the first lady’s aid, explaining that balance is more important than blind allegiance to any one diet, which is almost certainly true. But here’s the thing: This is not Michelle Obama’s first encounter with a burger in public. A semi-quick Google search reveals that she has dined on burgers at Five Guys (on at least two occasions), Good Stuff Eatery (again more than once and apparently enough to inspire her own turkey burger on Spike Mendelsohn’s menu) and a Milwaukee diner. Her love of burgers is so well documented that one hack parodied the first lady in this cartoon.

Michelle Obama has mentioned in the past that she occasionally “cleanses” to expel toxins and break her body’s craving for sugary, fatty foods.

So now try this: Type in “Michelle Obama and salads” into Google, and you gets tons of hits about her introducing salad bars into schools. But few hits of her ordering salads in public. So does the first lady’s public eating habits make her a hypocrite, given her very public Let’s Move campaign to reduce childhood obesity?

You decide in our poll:
Just in case anyone still thought the Village Enquirer was a valid news organization, and not just a tabloid rag.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: The Washington Post isn't real journalism

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Awesome. So it's not just what sauce you put on your burger, but the fact that you're eating burgers at all. God, I love America. God's most beautiful creation. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So... this is published as one of their associated-somehow blogs. And advertised as part of the Lifestyle section, which is literally all about fluff pieces on random celebrities (a disproportionate number of them political, since by nature Washington has huge numbers of politicians around), and various petty bits of gossip.

And this fact is a commentary on what goes on in their front section? Their business section?

If a newspaper stops being "real journalism" on account of having a gossip column somewhere, I doubt there's ever been an example of "real journalism" on this Earth.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Let’s hear about her daily exercise routine, assuming she has one
She doesn't look like those burgers are making her really fat or anything... so she must be doing something right?

Guess you can't win, if she was skinny people will be all over her for promoting anorexic body image or something.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

This is just hilarious. They're so desperate to show her in a bad light that they'll stoop to this: "OMG, she likes burgers!" And earlier she was being elitist or something for wanting kids to eat smart. LMAO!

I guess that they don't have anything of substance to say about her then. They should stick to criticizing POTUS instead. Too bad the things they should be criticizing him for the most are the very things they would be cheer-leading him for if he were a Republican.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

...This is a lifestyle blog. That's the kind of shit that comes into lifestyle blogs.

Perhaps you should learn how newspapers work before you get all sanctimonious on the practices of said newspaper.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Be sure to vote in the poll at the bottom; so far an overwhelming 12% of respondents agree with the article. :lol:
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

@AMT
Yeah, so I got egg on my face. Not the first time that's happened. Bit too quick on the draw, I didn't look at the source page, but merely read it from the quote. (Damnit, Dominus Atheos! :lol:)

Still, BS articles of this sort aren't exactly unheard of.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

This is really more a tame reflection of the bullshit that gets thrown around conservative websites. They freak the fuck out if she eats something they decide isn't in line with what they think her diet should consist of and regularly call her "Moochelle."

Edit: Also, Zentei, welcome back. :)
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Wasn;t there a whole Obama orders Dijon mustard attack?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 2607.story

My favourite was that I first came upon this news after reading obama second book. Specifically, the part where his political strategiest asked him not to eat dijon mustard:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Maelstrom
Redshirt

Post by Maelstrom »

PainRack wrote:Wasn;t there a whole Obama orders Dijon mustard attack?

My favourite was that I first came upon this news after reading obama second book. Specifically, the part where his political strategiest asked him not to eat dijon mustard:D
Wow! I had no idea growing up my working class, paycheck-to-paycheck Kansas family were such a bunch of elitist snobs. I mean, perusing through Safeway's mustard selection during a leisurely Sunday afternoon's shopping experience, I must admit to an often sneaking suspicion that we were better than everyone else in some manner. Just, didn't realise till now it was the Grey Poupon.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
The Village Enquirer wrote:Poll: Is Michelle Obama a hypocrite for loving burgers?
By Tim Carman

Is Michelle Obama a poor role model for children with regards to eating habits? (Marvin Joseph/The Washington Post)

Conservatives smelled fresh meat on Monday when first lady Michelle Obama dared to order what was once considered an All-American meal at Shake Shack. Her lunch consisted of a burger, fries, a chocolate shake and a Diet Coke (you know, to keep the calories down), a meal that totalled about 1,700 calories, according to the 44 blog.

Here’s one of the comments from Natalie Jennings’s blog post:

“Burger, fries, Coke, and a shake? I’d bust with that much food.

“Unlike multi-mansion Al Gore, the first lady needs to set an example rather than an exception. Let’s hear about her daily exercise routine, assuming she has one. No more ‘do as I say, not as I do’ from our national leaders.”

Nutritionists were quick to come to the first lady’s aid, explaining that balance is more important than blind allegiance to any one diet, which is almost certainly true. But here’s the thing: This is not Michelle Obama’s first encounter with a burger in public. A semi-quick Google search reveals that she has dined on burgers at Five Guys (on at least two occasions), Good Stuff Eatery (again more than once and apparently enough to inspire her own turkey burger on Spike Mendelsohn’s menu) and a Milwaukee diner. Her love of burgers is so well documented that one hack parodied the first lady in this cartoon.

Michelle Obama has mentioned in the past that she occasionally “cleanses” to expel toxins and break her body’s craving for sugary, fatty foods.

So now try this: Type in “Michelle Obama and salads” into Google, and you gets tons of hits about her introducing salad bars into schools. But few hits of her ordering salads in public. So does the first lady’s public eating habits make her a hypocrite, given her very public Let’s Move campaign to reduce childhood obesity?

You decide in our poll:
Just in case anyone still thought the Village Enquirer was a valid news organization, and not just a tabloid rag.
Which has what to do with the validity of the Washington Post? One of the top 3 papers in the country for the last 50+ years...
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Lord Zentei wrote:@AMT
Yeah, so I got egg on my face. Not the first time that's happened. Bit too quick on the draw, I didn't look at the source page, but merely read it from the quote. (Damnit, Dominus Atheos! :lol:)

Still, BS articles of this sort aren't exactly unheard of.
Eh I meant more the OP. The gods know I've done the same thing with a hair trigger response. But I try and do a little due diligence before posting something that turns out to be a strawman.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Maelstrom wrote:
PainRack wrote:Wasn;t there a whole Obama orders Dijon mustard attack?

Wow! I had no idea growing up my working class, paycheck-to-paycheck Kansas family were such a bunch of elitist snobs. I mean, perusing through Safeway's mustard selection during a leisurely Sunday afternoon's shopping experience, I must admit to an often sneaking suspicion that we were better than everyone else in some manner. Just, didn't realise till now it was the Grey Poupon.
LOL, yes I remember that little episode. People made a big deal about it as if mustard choice were somehow crucial to the ability to be president. And to top it off, it's not as if dijon mustard is horribly expensive like say, a bottle of Chateau Petrus or something. It's probably just because it has a French sounding name.

Lesson of the day: reverse snobbery is still snobbery. Worse, it is a compulsion for people who pursue such a philosophy to avoid the good things in life. It's sort of like wearing self-imposed shackles.

Losonti Tokash wrote:Edit: Also, Zentei, welcome back. :)
Thanks. :)

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The Village Enquirer wrote:Michelle Obama has mentioned in the past that she occasionally “cleanses” to expel toxins and break her body’s craving for sugary, fatty foods.
This is, of course, clearly a veiled reference to bulimia. [/right wing]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker