Subspace Highways?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

paladin
Jedi Master

Subspace Highways?

Post by paladin »

I think I read this on a ST site. It explained ships in ST can move faster by accessing a subspace highway. The ship in the subspace highway would remove in normal space, it would go into another dimension. I wonder if anyone else has heard on such non-sense.[/b]
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Re: Subspace Highways?

Post by Singular Quartet »

paladin wrote:I think I read this on a ST site. It explained ships in ST can move faster by accessing a subspace highway. The ship in the subspace highway would remove in normal space, it would go into another dimension. I wonder if anyone else has heard on such non-sense.[/b]
I have heard of it, but I don't know any of the details. It seemed like Bullshit Treknobabble to me...
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I always thought they warped space around them, with the idea that you can warp space faster than light. Gravity warps space, but it can only travel at light speed, so I don't see how they can accomplish this.
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

The site that brings this up is ditl.org. Given that Kennedy is involved, take it as you will.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
HRogge
Jedi Master

Re: Subspace Highways?

Post by HRogge »

paladin wrote:I think I read this on a ST site. It explained ships in ST can move faster by accessing a subspace highway. The ship in the subspace highway would remove in normal space, it would go into another dimension. I wonder if anyone else has heard on such non-sense.[/b]
Doesn't sound like a ST Warpdrive, that sounds liek DITL-shit...
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

It sounds like a really dumb and nonsensical warp drive. You might as well have a "realspace highway", complete with traffic signs, exits, and construction zones that block all the lanes.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I think there was something similar to this mentioned on Star Trek Dimension, in the Enterprise section concerning the NX-01's quick journey to Kronos (fuck how the wrinkleheads spell it, I'm too damn tired to look it up).

Although if I'm remembering correctly, it was a little better than DITL's theory.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
BioDroid
Youngling

Post by BioDroid »

That kind of crap sounds more lie Borg Transwarp Conduits to me.
buzz_knox
Padawan Learner

Post by buzz_knox »

It's from DITL and was intended to explain how ships that travelled at only a few thousand times C (maximum) could travel to the edge of the galaxy (ala Horizon and Enterprise) or to the galactic core (Enterprise) in a very short period of time (hours in the case of the core). The concept was that some areas of space for whatever reason were more conducive to warp travel, allowing higher speeds than normal.
Imperial Federation
Youngling

Post by Imperial Federation »

Great, now all he needs is evidence to back up that theory..
Wait, is that asking too much?
All members of the Imperial Redshirt Troopers are expected to die horribly for their Empire!
Go, and get killed in the most pointless way imaginable!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

GK attempted to rectify seemingly contradictory canon examples of speed. This is supposed to bother me?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.