Deus Ex HR reviews up...

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Deus Ex HR reviews up...

Post by weemadando »

PC Review code buggy and unreviewable...

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/1189621

YAY.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Deus Ex HR reviews up...

Post by Stark »

Go read the Edge review. It's like the reviewers are cconsciously emulating the pretentious of the game.

The few facts out appear to be boring start, awful hacking game, and heavy load times. The suggestion of 45-hour playtime is just hilarious.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

That's odd because A it's IGN never seen them do that before and B all the other reviews I've read mention the occasional crash but rate the game highly Blue's News review round-up.

Meta-Critic with 15 reviews in pegs it at an 88% with the lowest review an 88 so the "we can't review it because it's buggy as hell" is a rather rare review.

*Edit
One thing the reviews mention universally is that there are four shitty unskippable boss fights with giant robots.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2011-08-22 06:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Gametrailers and Gamespot both gave it B+ ish scores. Praising the open choice but criticizing the weak AI and linear boss battles. Hopefully IGN's complaints are based on a bad review-disk but if the PC retail is as bad as what they got then honestly that's just another strike against gaming journalism.
Stark wrote:The few facts out appear to be boring start, awful hacking game, and heavy load times. The suggestion of 45-hour playtime is just hilarious.
Ha sure. 45 hours if the only other game you've ever played is Deus Ex. Developers almost always clock the playtime of their games on the high. Since they usually believe you'll play through the game exactly as they envisioned it and use every possible feature/bit of content even if it's boring or just sucks. lol advertising
Best care anywhere.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Mr Bean wrote:That's odd because A it's IGN never seen them do that before and B all the other reviews I've read mention the occasional crash but rate the game highly Blue's News review round-up.
It's also possible that the game is just totally broken and sucks and IGN is being one of the few honest reviewers out there in a media that has been totally overwhelmed and bought out by its suppliers. I wish I wasn't being serious, but i've honestly seen this happen too much.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Metacritic already, lol?

Its a shame reviews dont talk about the builds or level design, preferring 'FEELS BADASS' and irrelevant architecture trivia. It's SP so the builds won't be very balanced and and the game is simply reactive, but it'd be nice to hear about the game instead of gushing over hiding vents behind vending machines.

Amusingly the inventory is better on console. Ha!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What inventory? I bet you don't even have to manage space you console dummies.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stark wrote:Go read the Edge review. It's like the reviewers are cconsciously emulating the pretentious of the game.
Edge reviewers are handpicked for their ability to spout pretentious twaddle.

The Eurogamer review is mostly positive, says that level design is good, all the various abilities feel useful for something, but the boss fights are a bit crap, and there are hell of load times.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Eurogamer are also the guys who missed the memo that it was okay to stop lying about Brink, and gave it a positive review. :)

SP-only games are so outside my zone these days that I'm honestly curious what counts as 'good' level design in a game where nothing happens unless it's a reaction to you. What I've seen in the leaks and videos makes it look pretty ordinary - to the point of box-moving puzzles - but it sounds like the early game is the worst part.
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Damn. I was actually looking forward to this. Seems like another Dragon Age 2.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It might well be a bad game, but from where are you getting the negativity? All the reviews are some variation on positive, with only a few things like crap hacking and boss fights as negatives.

Using Dragon Age 2 as an example of a 'bad sequel' (or whatever) is pretty funny.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

It's not like the game would be perfect. DX1 had some hilariously horrible stuff in it but it managed to have some positives. Just don't let hype over inflate you, that way lies disappoint in most games.

Besides, its' not like some sort of sin to like a game that others don't. Not one is going to cast you out or some shit.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Look, we're playing the 'ho ho, reviews' game. Once the game is actually played, none of this information/speculation will be relevant. For now (especially for me, since AU is two days behind for this shitty launch) it's just talking about the merits or otherwise of the reviews.

Imagine a world where a series of reviews would actually provide information, instead of gonzo shit like FEELS BADASS and 'my there are a lot of build options'.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Wait, people here hold IGN reviews in esteem?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Imagine a world where a series of reviews would actually provide information, instead of gonzo shit like FEELS BADASS and 'my there are a lot of build options'.
But that's a fantasy land. :(
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's quite standard in games with 'builds' or 'skill trees' or whatever to speak in VERY general terms about the possibilities; they generally say 'too linear' or 'wow lots of options', instead of any kind of analysis about what is useful or not. The reviews mention that they never feel punished for whatever build choices they made, but that's not surprising since they just played it a for a few hours.

And no, DP, the whole thread is about reviews being a laugh.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The IGN reviewer (Arthur Gies) was complaining on twitter about not getting the achievement for a non lethal play through.

Turns out that the bossfights count as kills even though there's apparently no way to not kill them.

Its confidence inspiring design.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/deus-e ... y-natural/

Well I think this looks positive. I pre-ordered today as a consequence (from ozgameshop of course).

I assume load time whinging is limited to X360 users ...
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You'd be wrong; it's 30s per death even on PC. Some tests suggest installed 360 is actually the fastest-loading platform.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stark wrote:You'd be wrong; it's 30s per death even on PC. Some tests suggest installed 360 is actually the fastest-loading platform.
Wow, that's really slow. Oh well, I imagine they'll patch it, that's not a deal-breaker for me.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I doubt it's an issue beyond save/load whoring, really. Could be bad for people going for the no kills thing.
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

I've played the leaked preview on my decidedly underpowered in today's terms laptop (5400rpm HD, Radeon 3650 GPU) and as far as loading times go, they weren't instant or something like that, but they weren't that long - I've done the no kills thing for a mission and the loading times did not seem to be a problem for retires (and if you're going for that you're going to have retries).

Overall the preview hyped me up quite a bit - the game does have DX1-style multiple avenues of approaches to a situation (usually its hacking/exploration, charm, stealth and, of course, guns blazing), and there are multiple tributes to DX1, so basically if you liked that you'll probably like this, mechanics/gameplay-wise. I haven't played through the entire preview to not spoil myself, but the story is decent in the beginning.

The hacking game is more interesting then most of those style mini-games - the design is basically a light-weight puzzle game; it does take a few tries to figure out all the rules and its time-based and very PC mouse-friendly so its possible its a case of reverse-consolitis; Alpha Protocol hacking in reverse. As a PC gamer I find that a bit delicious :P . On the other side, the relative complexity allows it to provide different scenarios every time unlike most hacking game which you're sick of by the fifth one.

Although, overall it appears that, strangely, this is one of those relatively rare PC-first games, so if you're hardware can take it its probably the better version.

Ars, which is pretty reliable for game reviews and a bit retro-focused like the crowd here, gave the game its full support - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2 ... lution.ars
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Its not a PC first game...

Just saw Jeff Gertsman tweeting about how the mouse control on PC is just right stick mapping - all smoothing and sluggishness regardless of sensitivity settings.

I fucking HATE that, but its the price of ports.