DragonBall Z abridged

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

DragonBall Z abridged

Post by Oscar Wilde »

First episode.
That's not the actual account, and youtube occasionally removes theme. The rest can be found on the site for the dudes who make it here.

It's pretty awesome, watch it.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this thread.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: DragonBall Z abridged

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It's definitely one of the best Abridged Series out there, and only gets better as it progresses (the episodes on Namek, in particular, have all been hilarious so far).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I have a lot of love for DBZA. The voices are perfect and it helps that I watched/read the hell out of Dragon Ball [Z/no Z] as a kid.
Aniron
Padawan Learner

Post by Aniron »

Damn. I thought this thread was going be about DBZ Kai, which is loads better than the original series because it cuts out so much shit.
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Well, same principle applies really. I think the latest episode compresses at least three episodes into one.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Aniron wrote:Damn. I thought this thread was going be about DBZ Kai, which is loads better than the original series because it cuts out so much shit.
The reason a lot of English-language anime consists of the characters just standing around talking is because the Japanese version was already cut to within an inch of its life to get past American censors. I'm told they cut the hell out of Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

StarSword wrote:
Aniron wrote:Damn. I thought this thread was going be about DBZ Kai, which is loads better than the original series because it cuts out so much shit.
The reason a lot of English-language anime consists of the characters just standing around talking is because the Japanese version was already cut to within an inch of its life to get past American censors. I'm told they cut the hell out of Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin.
"American censors" don't exist however there are corporate censors which might not even be American (There are some Animes from the 80's dubbed in England and sold to the English speaking markets that was censored by the company doing the dubbing as well as some American dubbing the most infamous being 4Kids and their treatment of One Piece. To the point there exists two totally different shows in the English dubs compared to the original Japanese.)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

StarSword wrote: The reason a lot of English-language anime consists of the characters just standing around talking is because the Japanese version was already cut to within an inch of its life to get past American censors. I'm told they cut the hell out of Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin.
No.

The reason a lot of english-language anime consists of people standing around talking is because a lot of anime consists of people standing around talking. This is especially true for shows based on popular Shonen Action series like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, etc. The reason for this is when adapting things from the manga medium, say some internal monologue that takes a panel will now take a few minutes because the whole thing has to be spoken. Also Shonen Action series tend to draw things out in order to keep the show going (and thus keep people watching) and to prevent overshooting the story of the original manga. Because every time they go past the manga we get the dreaded "filler" where the producers of the anime version have to start making shit up to fill time. For example, the episodes of DBZ where Piccolo and Goku have to get their driver's license.

I'm not saying there isn't censorship, but I have yet to see any dubbers take the time to re-edit a show so that it extends talking scenes just to cover violent action. Usually it is easier to just edit the consequences of the violence because hey this is America and you can be as violent as you want as long as there is no consequences like violent death and the like.

Now as far as DBZ Abridged goes, I think it's wonderful. Probably the best thing is that you can tell the people involved absolutely love DBZ. The best parodies are by people who adore the source material and know its strengths and weaknesses. I mean really, all the characters are barely exaggerated from what they normally are like. Goku is still an idiot, Bulma is a bitch, and Vegeta is a total dick to everyone. Vegeta is my favorite.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

To be fair, I was posting something a friend of mine said. Conceded.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

And Super Kami Guru is an even bigger prick than Vegeta, in more ways than one.

If you want to see raeg on their forum mention Ghost Nappa. Or just look at a thread where he's been mentioned.

I'm greatly enjoying their take on the series. The fights are trimmed down nicely and there's not nearly as much pointless yammering between characters. Also good: Pointing out all the times Krillin should have used his kienzan.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

They manage to wear down the Sayan arc into about and hour and a half runtime--that's just amazing to me.

But I think the best part is the re-interpretations of many of the blander characters, and pumping up the good ones.

What they did with Mr. Popo, Nappa and Freeza is just amazing. Freeza especially, they turned him from a rather simple dictatorial type character into someone really memorable. His shtick with the Heroic Speeches is equal parts funny and horrifying.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Majin Gojira wrote:Freeza especially, they turned him from a rather simple dictatorial type character into someone really memorable. His shtick with the Heroic Speeches is equal parts funny and horrifying.
Twelve. :lol:

I thought I'd hate this. I've seen lots of Abridged series since the Yu-Gi-Oh abridged series, and most of them were just really unfunny garbage to me, but I watched the entire DBZ Abridged series yesterday, and honestly I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. It's fantastic. Mr. Popo is great. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

This was the first Abridged series I actually watched; and yeah, it's damn good. Freeza is chilling; his high-level minions are more than just a power level, they actually have personalities; the amount TeamFourStar cut the Saiyan saga down is nothing short of amazing; the editing itself is superb; the 'Be a Man' music video is just awesome; and Vegeta is a compelling character you barrack for even though, as he says himself: I'm FUCKING EVIL!

Has anyone seen their Dragonball Z Kai Abridged joke episode? Some of the stuff they pull in that, making fun of the original series, EDIT: Kai itself, and their own abridged series of normal DBZ - I think one more layer and the self-referential humour would reach critical mass and explode!
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

VF5SS wrote: I'm not saying there isn't censorship, but I have yet to see any dubbers take the time to re-edit a show so that it extends talking scenes just to cover violent action. Usually it is easier to just edit the consequences of the violence because hey this is America and you can be as violent as you want as long as there is no consequences like violent death and the like.
I know for a fact it happened to the german dub of Naruto. E.g. you see people standing around and talking, when in the japanese version a head is being seperated from it's body.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

This series has renewed my love for Dragonball Z. The running gags are hilarious and the dubbing is better than the real series'. I also like how often they call the characters on their stupid behavior. Also, I never really appreciated Nappa so much before...

And is there any creature as majestic as the space duck?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Definitely one of the Better Abridged series still being circulated on you tube.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:This series has renewed my love for Dragonball Z. The running gags are hilarious and the dubbing is better than the real series'. I also like how often they call the characters on their stupid behavior. Also, I never really appreciated Nappa so much before...

And is there any creature as majestic as the space duck?
Well the dubbing has an advantage in that KaiserNeko alters the lip flaps so that the dialogue is't matched to the flaps. Instead it is the other way around. Though the VA is also surprisingly good.

And no, there's no creature as majestic as the space duck.
Bob the Gunslinger

Napoleon the Clown wrote: If you want to see raeg on their forum mention Ghost Nappa. Or just look at a thread where he's been mentioned.
What's causing the raeg? Ghost Nappa is awesome.

(What? I don't want to wade into another forum.)

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I guess you have to have seen the original to find this funny, because this to me is just gibberish from beginning to end.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Bob the Gunslinger

Vympel wrote:I guess you have to have seen the original to find this funny, because this to me is just gibberish from beginning to end.
Try skipping to the episode "Vegeta Kills Bugs Dead," maybe? Most of the humor is pretty broad along the lines of stupid guy/straight man pairings. You might miss out on a few running gags, like the Piccolo is a Yoshi thing. Most of the back story you need to know is that Dragonball is all about martial arts aliens.

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Vympel wrote:I guess you have to have seen the original to find this funny, because this to me is just gibberish from beginning to end.
You didn't watch DBZ Kai Abridged, right? That's supposed to be almost gibberish.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Bob the Gunslinger

The episodes start at the bottom of the scroll list. Just skip everything that isn't a numbered episode, and you should be able to make sense of what's going on.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote: If you want to see raeg on their forum mention Ghost Nappa. Or just look at a thread where he's been mentioned.
What's causing the raeg? Ghost Nappa is awesome.

(What? I don't want to wade into another forum.)
About half the people on there hate Ghost Nappa and want to never see him again and get worked up whenever someone makes even passing mention of him.

Every forum and every fandom has wankers in it. The people who hate Ghost Nappa are a great example of the wankers among the DBZA fandom.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Which is weird cause I think they have actually used Ghost Nappa rather sparingly, I can only think of two times, both were great.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Ghost Nappa has appeared a total of three times.

"I'm haunting you."

"You are now thinking about what Zarbon did to you while you were unconscious. Have fun with that."

"He took the dragonball."
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator