What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Patrick Degan »

Right now, I'm into Cicero's Treatise On The Commonwealth and am reading Beowulf to my son for bedtime.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Alien Blood by Joan D. Vinge. I'm on kind of a sci-fi tear right now.
Patrick Degan wrote:Right now, I'm into Cicero's Treatise On The Commonwealth and am reading Beowulf to my son for bedtime.
Unless that's a different Beowulf than the usual one, seems pretty high-brow for a bedtime story. I'm impressed; last thing my dad read to us was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

Currently Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2034 in German and George Orwell's 1984 in French.

Next on my list is Le Crime d'etre Roms by Jean Marc Turine.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

reading David Drake's Stormy Red Skies (RCN)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Listening to the Pillars of the Earth

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Finished the last of my star wars pile with Allegiance and even tried Hard Contact, Karens madness must come into play latter as I though that one was quite a good read.

However.. now onwards to the Song of Ice and Fire, its been a while since I read the first three and I enjoyed the series immensely so looking forward to working up to the new books.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Making my way through the Game of Thrones series. I am at the what the fuck stage of 'A Storm of Sword'.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just finished A Dance Without Editors or Closure.

Got One Million Bullets as a gift, but have Baader Meinhof Complex out from the library, so that's first.

Also finished the Sandman series. Quite wonderful stuff.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I've started Kelli Stanley's Nox Dormienda. It's an interesting attempt at Roman noir.
The Yosemite Bear

I have Drakes most recent RCN book just staring at me, didn't know books could do that. ;-)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Lost Fleet: Deadnaught is my current read, followed by Moon Over Soho, which is part of the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. Peter Grant being a Detective Constable Wizard Apprentice in the Metropolitan Police. Its a bit like Dresden Files. Except more funny and interesting.

Also have Bloodforged hanging around somewhere.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

Well, since a few days ago I made one last trip to Border's Book Store:

1: Earth The Book by John Stewart.

2: The Art of Exotic Dancing: by croatian playmate Nada Mirat.

3: Skeptic Magazine, Vol 16, No 3

4: July 25 Newsweek

5: a 2009 Almanac

(That & a new Alice & Chains & REM cd cost me only $27.78)

Quite the haul, plus I got a shonen jump magazine on friday, but it looks like they went from 12 issues a year to only 10.
Number Theoretic
Padawan Learner

Post by Number Theoretic »

"Incandescene" by Greg Egan. A very unusual setting for a novel, that has a galactic setting, but definitely qualifies for Hard Science Fiction.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

A Confederation of Valor by Tanya Huff. One of the best pieces of military sci-fi I've read in quite a while, even if the plot is a little generic.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just finished The Gated City by Ryan Avent. It's a really short e-book that looks at the role of housing restrictions on city and economic growth. I'm about two-thirds of the way through James MacPherson's This Mighty Scourge (great book about the American Civil War). I'm also about to start Panic in Level 4 by Richard Preston, and Tom Perotta's The Leftovers. I've also got the last two "Hunger Games" Trilogy books staring at me, but I find it hard to start. I've heard they get worse with each book.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

I just finished Brass Man and Polity Agent. Cannot wait to get started on Line War. The Polity fighting ancient inhibitor technology that can subsume all their technology, AI's and humans? Oh man, I am hyped, Line War better be nothing less than spectacular.
Needs moar dakka
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Working on Dan Brown and trying to find the appeal. It's predictable and preachy pop treasure-hunt type stuff. Robert Langdon should've been played by Nic Cage.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I was disappointed to find out on a Da Vinci Code-debunking site that the book completely alters the dynamic of the scene in Teabing's home, having Teabing and Langdon in agreement with the kooky stuff and bludgeoning poor Sophie with it, while the movie had an awesome exchange where they're debating Teabing's theories with Langdon in disagreement. Tom Hanks and Sir Ian McKellan sell that scene very well, and are the primary reasons to see the movie.

Anyway, to fit the thread, I just finished The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front, 1915-1919 by Mark Thompson, and I'm not sure what I'll be reading next. From the library I've got a book on Stalin's government, a book on the history of the KGB via the Mitrokhin Archives, Hitler's Willing Executioners, IBM and the Holocaust, and finally, What Has God Wrought?, an entry in the Oxford History of the United States that covers the time period of the War of 1812 to the Mexican-American War and the prelude to the Civil War.

Though I'm also looking to read Throne of Fire, the second Kane Chronicles novel by Richard Riordan, having read The Red Pyramid a couple weeks ago. I loved the Percy Jackson books and I love the way he writes the Kane siblings' first person narrations.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just finished the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus. Alas, my reading time is about to go way, way down.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Lately I've been getting an early start on my textbooks for the new year, including a class involving fairy tale literature for which I have to read things like Frankenstein, Alice in Wonderland, and Arthurian Legends.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I've finished Ghost STory (Dresden files) and am reading Odyssy
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

One of my friends cleaned house and gave me a big stack of books. I'm reading the first Black Company book right now; it's okay.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Just finished reading The Trinity Vector by Steve Perry for the third time. Now I'm working on Rules of Survival: The Chronicle of Jani Kilian by Kristine Smith.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Uraniun235 wrote:One of my friends cleaned house and gave me a big stack of books. I'm reading the first Black Company book right now; it's okay.
I remember that one! Boy, working for the villains didn't work out all that well, even when they win.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Yosemite Bear

yeah, but glen cook made a good franchise out of it.