Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Faqa
Jedi Master

Re: Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

Post by Faqa »

Dance and Feast being filmed as-is would be retarded. They're parallel storylines from the fallout of Storm, and are only in two books because of the sheer number of characters. Much better to treat them as a single book in need of some serious mutilation.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I actually just finished reading Book 4 yesterday. Yeah, it really does need to be merged with Book 5 in filming given their structure. Plus, I think it's the weakest of the books so far, if only because it's mostly just setup for things later on.

Besides that, I say let them take their time with Book 2 and 3. Otherwise, they'll finish before the next book is even written :P
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Tickler

Rorge and Biter

Who do we want? Edmure Tully!

When do we want him? Season 2!

Who should play him?

Kevin Fucking McKidd!
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The Tickler . . . yikes. I suspect they'll change his death scene so that it happens at the end of Season Two during the escape from Harrenhal, instead of when it happened in the books (late in A Storm of Swords). I hope they keep his death mostly the same - the scene where Arya kills him is both gratifying and disturbing at the same time.

"Is there gold hidden in the village?" :shock: I'm just imagining Show-Arya doing that scene.

And Kevin McKidd would be amazing as Edmure. Give him a beard, and he would look perfect for the part. I wonder if it might be better to use him later on, though. He could also probably play Jon Connington very well (and his age would be about right), if the show gets that far.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Why? If the Arya plot for ASOS is preserved - at least the part with the Hound snatching her, which would suit the TV medium very well, so why not? - then it would be much more visceral to have it happen later, with her flashing back to him. I dunno, she's not really psycho enough to do it at the end of ACOK - she still has a family she can hope to get home to then, after all.

I'm frankly more interested in the rumor they put in there that the Mountain is being re-cast. I really hope that isn't true, Conan Stevens is perfect for the role.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just figured that it would be a great way to end Arya's escape from Harrenhal. Have her encounter the Tickler while she's running with Gendry, and kill him. It'd be rather weird to cast him so early otherwise - he only shows up for a brief period in both books.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Armory Lorch cast (yes!!!!), The Mountain that Rides possibly recast

Also, Neil Marshall (The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Centurion) is directing GRRM's episode, Blackwater.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've heard unofficial confirmation of the Gregor re-casting. That sucks - the guy looked absolutely perfect as Gregor.

GRRM had a blog post about the Blackwater episode as well. There will be some battle involved, although we don't know much.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

You posted the same link as me :P
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Crap! That's not the link I was intending to post. Here is the right one.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Mr Bean wrote:Spoiler
After all as Loras already proved dress a man in another man's armor and it's easy to show a "dead man" riding into battle because Knights go into battle armored from head to foot.
Spoiler
Nitpick: That was his brother, Garlan.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

Peter Dinklage picked up the Supporting Actor Emmy. I am incredibly happy for him.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Moby Halcyon wrote:Peter Dinklage picked up the Supporting Actor Emmy. I am incredibly happy for him.
Yeah, he totally deserves it. It won't be "Supporting" next year if they do ACoK right, especially the scene where he threatens to rape Tommen, and at the Blackwater, where he gets some of my favorite lines in the series... "I am half a man and drunk with slaughter. Let them kill me, if they can!" :luv:

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'm annoyed the show didn't get Best Drama in favour of Mad Men, which has won it four times in a row now.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Vympel wrote:I'm annoyed the show didn't get Best Drama in favour of Mad Men, which has won it four times in a row now.
That may be because Mad Men remained pretty excellent in its fourth season.

Anyways, it was nominated and won in a heavily-contested category (nooo john slattery and alan cumming you deserve statues too!!11). Be glad.
LadyLazor
Redshirt

Post by LadyLazor »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:
Vympel wrote:I'm annoyed the show didn't get Best Drama in favour of Mad Men, which has won it four times in a row now.
That may be because Mad Men remained pretty excellent in its fourth season.

Anyways, it was nominated and won in a heavily-contested category (nooo john slattery and alan cumming you deserve statues too!!11). Be glad.
I agree, the fourth season of Mad Men was its best imo. Game of Thrones will have its best chance at a win in season three.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/09/tit ... summation/

No Greatjon in Season 2. He hasn't been written out / recast or whatever, he just won't appear this season.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/10/thi ... more-11550

Some photos from Croatia. Notice the joint Baratheon / Lannister standard adopted by Joffrey (straight from the books).
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Simon Armstrong is the Halfhand

Tony Way is Dontos Hollard

John Stahl is Rickard Karstark

Rose Leslie is Ygritte

Casting for major parts is done now. Looks like the Tullys won't be in Season 2 after all.