What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Dalton wrote:I don't understand why I'm still melting my brain with Dan Brown pap.
I've read all five of his books, and I think its because each chapter ends with a cliffhanger, and like his writing or not, there's a bit of a honeymoon period with them before you figure out he wrote the same book four times.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Currently reading Off the Planet by Jerry Linenger, about his experiences on Mir.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Finished the Dark Griffin. Much better than I expected, don't want to give away details.

Starting the sequel.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Currently reading the restored version of Joe Haldeman's excellent The Forever War.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm now currently reading Game of Thrones, after seeing the TV show.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Patrick Degan wrote:Currently reading the restored version of Joe Haldeman's excellent The Forever War.
Are you reading the trilogy collection ('Peace and War')?

Just started 'The Prize,' which seems to be pretty well known around here. Was hooked by the midpoint of the first page.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Kanastrous wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:Currently reading the restored version of Joe Haldeman's excellent The Forever War.
Are you reading the trilogy collection ('Peace and War')?
No, just FW.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just finished The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan, the second book in his fantasy trilogy (he's mostly a SF writer). That was a fucking awesome novel, much better than the first one. I wish the ending wasn't confusing, though.

Now it's on to How I killed Pluto and Why it had it coming, and The Prize.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Number Theoretic
Padawan Learner

Post by Number Theoretic »

"Surface Detail" apparently had some influence on me. Bought "Consider Phlebas" today and are really looking forward to it.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Need to get my hands on "Reamde" and "Snuff". Hope I can get it from the local libraries...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I put down How I Killed Pluto and The Magic of Reality - the former because it was boring, the latter because it's really intended as a children's book, and there's nothing in it that I haven't already read in other Dawkins books. I think the latter would make a solid children's book, though.

I also glanced through What if the Earth had two moons? again, and I'm still pretty "meh" towards it. The basic counterfactuals are interesting, but the actual book (and how the scenarios play out scientifically and in terms of reading) didn't turn out great. There's too many areas where the author is using outdated knowledge about geology and biology, and it shows in both this book and in What if the Moon didn't exist?.

I'm reading Brian Greene's The Hidden Reality on a library e-book loan on my Kindle, but I'd prefer books with more general knowledge about the state of physics today.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Just read CS Lewis' On Miracles.

Lewis writes well, has a friendly, engaging style, and assembles his arguments well - the only problem is that much of his position seems to be based upon outmoded scientific understandings that pretty much knock the legs out from under the text by the time you finish the second chapter.

I'll stick with the Space Trilogy and the Chronicles of Narnia.

Also Brave New World Revisited, Aldous Huxley. Boy howdy, did he ever call it.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Crateria
Padawan Learner

Post by Crateria »

I'm reading The Great Hunt in the Wheel of Time series.
Damn you know it. You so smart you brought up like history and shit. Laying down facts like you was a blues clues episode or something. How you get so smart? Like the puns and shit you use are wicked smart, Red Letter Moron! HAHAHAHAH!1 Fucks that is funny, you like should be on TV with Jeff Dunham and shit.-emersonlakeandbalmer
God is like the strict dad while Satan is the cool uncle who gives you weed. However sometimes he'll be a dick and turn you in.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Ian Rankin's The Impossible Dead. Apparently he thinking about Fox getting his mitts on Rebus at some point. Can't wait for that!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Number Theoretic
Padawan Learner

Post by Number Theoretic »

So i finished reading "Consider Phlebas" yesterday. And i must say, what an awesome read! I repeatedly caught myself thinking: If done well, this would totally kick ass as a movie. And it wouldn't even be that hard to stick relatively close to the book.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Had "Snuff" since Friday, have to return it this Friday. Someone already has it on hold so I can't renew, but I think I can power through in the next few days.

It's solid Vimes so far, but I can tell Pratchett's starting to go a bit daffy :(

Requested REAMDE. Almost every local library already has it loaned out, some overdue. Blast.
To Absent Friends

SithQueen
Redshirt
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way. That's as fine-lined as it gets.

Post by SithQueen »

A Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've put down Brian Greene's The Hidden Reality (fortunately, it was a library e-book on loan). I'm more interested in knowing what the state of physics is today, as opposed to alternate universes.

I picked up my library copy of The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham, and loved it. It's a good page-turner, and the three main characters are fun to read about.

I've got The Prize by Daniel Yergin, which is an excellent history of the rise of the petroleum industry (unfortunately, it's in hardback form, so it's huge). I've read select parts of it before, but never the entire book. I've also got a small e-book called Race against the Machine, which is about the increasing use of automation in the last ten years.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Snuff was alright, better than the last go, but no Death cameo and an unsatisfactory denouement.

Managed to get REAMDE from the library. Stephenson actually makes an oblique reference to "Snow Crash", which is awesome.
To Absent Friends

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I never got into The Prize. I was distracted by two books:

1. A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. Great book, although I started getting impatient with it at about page 250 and was skimming from then on. It's basically Vinge's pessimistic view on a setting where human technological and even societal capabilities have plateaued (I don't entirely agree with some of this, but it's fascinating nonetheless). It's amazing how he managed to make even an interstellar civilization spread across dozens of planets seem claustrophobic at times.

2. Dune. I got this as a library e-book on my Kindle through Overdrive, and I'm reading it now. It's interesting to me because I was in my early teens the last time I read Dune, and I only got the basic jist of it then. Reading it now 10+ years later is much more entertaining.

Maybe I'll try Reamde when I'm done. I've read a couple of Stephenson novels, and didn't really care for any of them.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Maybe I'll try Reamde when I'm done. I've read a couple of Stephenson novels, and didn't really care for any of them.
Speaking as a Stephenson devotee, I must now crush you with a pillowcase filled with the Baroque Cycle.

His books aren't for everyone, but "Snow Crash" is undeniably a classic in the genre.
To Absent Friends

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just finished Dune. Wow. That was much, much better than I remembered from reading it years ago. What a great book.

That book must have been a huge inspiration for R.Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. I remember someone on another forum commenting on the parallels, but they seemed extremely obvious when reading Dune this time.

I've checked out the library kindle e-books for Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. I'll be spending most of my reading time on those novels.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I just finished Dune. Wow. That was much, much better than I remembered from reading it years ago. What a great book.

That book must have been a huge inspiration for R.Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. I remember someone on another forum commenting on the parallels, but they seemed extremely obvious when reading Dune this time.

I've checked out the library kindle e-books for Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. I'll be spending most of my reading time on those novels.
The Dune books get progressively weirder until Chapterhouse: Dune, which is the last Frank Herbert book. After that, I refuse to continue.
To Absent Friends

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

^ ditto - I think that the Herbert books are pretty great at the beginning and end (Dune, Dune Messiah, Heretics, Chapterhouse) but sort of sag in the middle (Children, God-Emperor)
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Dalton wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:I just finished Dune. Wow. That was much, much better than I remembered from reading it years ago. What a great book.

The Dune books get progressively weirder until Chapterhouse: Dune, which is the last Frank Herbert book. After that, I refuse to continue.
I think the biggest problem with the prequels and sequels are that Brian Herbert has many many unresolved daddy issues and as we know KJA is just a talentless hack who simply must shoe horn in the work Kirana to every fucking piece of shit he writes.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten