World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by xthetenth »

Simon_Jester wrote:I would expect an average win rate below 50% for myself just because of all the times my client locks up and thus I am physically unable to contribute to the battle- but since nearly half of all battles will be won without me anyway, it wouldn't be a lot below. I don't feel like checking what it is right this minute.
46% wins to 53% losses, which isn't bad at all for someone who can't fight in a whole bunch of battles. I've seen folks with considerably worse, and they don't get screwed out of a fight half the time.
Agent Sorchus wrote: Does anyone bother with looking for the chat channel? I've been putting up sdn as channel and never see anyone on or any pre-made channels.
I try usually, but forget enough I never see anyone. However, we've got folks on now and it rocks.
PS: I am interested in CW but have no clan so does anyone have a Clan that could use a Tier 6 driver?
Tier 6 is very low for clan wars. The serious terrain holding clans roll only end-line tanks. I'm not sure if you could find a match with a clan that's serious at all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I love my T-28 with the Zis-4 gun. I just do.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Simon_Jester wrote:I love my T-28 with the Zis-4 gun. I just do.
This. The ZIS-4 is one nasty gun, though I'm currently aiming for the 85 mm F-30 in my T-28.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The 57mm is generally better than the 85mm for the T-28. The big gun takes too long to aim for the tank's survival time :).
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Like I was theorizing in the chat a couple of days ago french tanks will be coming in patch 7.1, and thus the 7.0 will have to introduce multi-turreted tanks. Specifically I mentioned that I remembered the devs saying that they couldn't add french tanks before they were able to do multiguned tanks and that they intended to bring french tanks in 7.1

And now we have the list of tanks that they are going to add. NOTE no TD's or ARTY
Light:
Renault FT
D1
Hotchkiss H35
AMX 38
AMX 40
AMX 12t
AMX-13/75
AMX-13/90

Medium:
D2
Bat.-Chatillon 25t
Lorraine 40t.

Heavy:
B1
BDR G1 B
ARL-44
AMX M4 (1945)
AMX 50 100 mm
AMX 50 120mm
AMX-50 68t.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

How long before 7.0 comes out?
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

With the Americans, they didn't add TDs or Arty until later, so I think it's just their faction adding system.

The M3 Lee is "multi-turreted", but I'm not sure how that would work interface-wise.

Maybe we should organise a voice-chat channel or something like that for us World of Tankers. This thread is getting pretty huge, and it would be nice to platoon up with some people every now and again.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The obvious way to handle it is to implement a "switch turrets" button so that (to take the Lee as an example I am intimately familiar with) you can go from controlling the sponson-mounted 75mm to the turret-mounted 37mm and back as appropriate. Sure, you can only fire one gun at a time, but there aren't a lot of circumstances where you'd really need to use both at once.

...Is it just me, or would this turn the Lee from being one of the utter dogs of Tier 4 into one of the better vehicles in the tier? Just having that turret not be dead weight, allowing the tank to fire from some semblance of a hull-down position and whatnot, would play a huge role.

Although I'm still curious about when 7.0 comes out. Hoping to finish my KV before that happens ;)
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Okay, they really messed up with the Type 59, it's actually a straight up viable tier VIII medium. It also has the Loewe standard issue credit press in the space saved by having the driver be the radio operator as well. I'll bring down 70k credits on premium depressingly often, although I haven't hit a 100k round. Yet. I also rock in it almost as hard as the Pershing. I'm currently up to 850 xp average a round or so, although I have been platooning a lot. Granted, I'm on permapremium, but it's awesome as could be even not on premium. Note that my Pershing is still better and I've driven that solo more. No, the Type 59 is not broken, although I think they should probably give it standard tier 8 medium matchmaking.

If any of you are thinking of getting a moneymaking premium and this thing's in your price range, it's strongly recommended. If not, don't go for lower than tier V, I don't really think the lower tiers make enough credits to be better than a normal tier V.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Simon_Jester wrote:The obvious way to handle it is to implement a "switch turrets" button so that (to take the Lee as an example I am intimately familiar with) you can go from controlling the sponson-mounted 75mm to the turret-mounted 37mm and back as appropriate. Sure, you can only fire one gun at a time, but there aren't a lot of circumstances where you'd really need to use both at once.

...Is it just me, or would this turn the Lee from being one of the utter dogs of Tier 4 into one of the better vehicles in the tier? Just having that turret not be dead weight, allowing the tank to fire from some semblance of a hull-down position and whatnot, would play a huge role.

Although I'm still curious about when 7.0 comes out. Hoping to finish my KV before that happens ;)
hopefully you'll be able to open with the 75, switch to the 37 to ping way at him to screw with his targeting while the 75 is reloading. the lee should also be able to finally use it's height as a advantage for once, shooting the 37mm over obstructions that other tanks can't. i'm hoping there will be upgrade options for the 37mm as well.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That would make the tank particularly dangerous- perhaps too much so; I'm not sure.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The 37 should be "upgradeable." However there are only two different versions in real life that were mounted, the M5 37 and M6 37. These guns are already in the game as tier 2 and three guns so they shouldn't overpower the lee too much with the inclusion of the upgrade.

What would be ridiculous is mounting the M2 75 derp gun in the turret.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Going for detracks with the 37 is feasible and would reduce the greatest weakness of the Lee.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Mr. Coffee wrote:The main reason why most light drivers fail as scouts isn't really the tank they're driving so much as it's the dipstick driving. Don't go charging on out as soon as the match start (You're artillery players probably won't even have their guns in battery for at least 8-10 seconds or longer anyway). Instead, just wait till the match clock gets to about the 13 minute mark or go once your team's made contact with with the other team's high tier stuff so you can see where the big scary shit is, then go zoom out to spot find their arty and kill it or spot it so your arty can kill it (I generally just murder the arty myself because I've yet to be on a team with an arty puke that actually bothers to see what the fuck the scouts are spotting).
I was actually just in a match driving my M7 and landed on a team with a platoon of two A-20s and a T-50. They actually waited until 13:00 for the enemies to spread out to the edges and went center, which is my standard tactic when driving anything remotely describable as "fast." I was overjoyed, went with them, and together we totally wreaked havoc. :D It really works on almost all the maps, and no one ever believes me when I describe the plan pre-game.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

You can see that common sense on the American server is actually not very good to follow. The Day the Company Battles went live all the SDN members on the chat joined into a company along with some random passerbys. One of our best battles was on lakeside where everyone but me (I had to jump down a tier or two into a 107 armed SU-85) went strait down the middle in what is usually thought of as death trap alley. They smashed face in with a procession of Tiger 2s while I was sniping up from city at everything they had. The important thing on lakeside that allows that is the mountain down the middle that blocks all shots from everybody who goes down the valley (although I still don't know how they were lucky enough not to block it off in dead bodies since it was before you could move them.)

I had a glorious run with my KV (armed with short 122 and small turret) where I got into a turning circling fight with a Pershing, who I suspect from rate of fire was armed with the first 90. I almost gutted him from above 75% to 15% and if their arty had killed me just a couple seconds later I would have had him. Only one of his shots hit and that was a bouncing round of the side of my turret, but that is because I got the first shot in the fight and it was right down his barrel and into the face with HE. I had hoped of course that the turret would be jammed, but I think either I wounded the gunner or damaged the gun. He still should've had me, or at least not taken so much hurt if only he had kept moving more, instead of moving in reaction to my movements. Too bad I stopped for my last shot to be dead centered because that was when the arty got me.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I've finally bitten the bullet and spent some money for gold. I picked up a Type 59 using some of the gold, and man it really is very good for a Tier 8. Pairing up with a random stranger, we single-handedly turned the tide in Himmelsdorf in one match - we went from being 5 tanks down (no losses yet on the enemy side) to winning the match with still 5 tanks left.

Also, I second the motion that the players in the US servers are generally sissies with poor tactical sense.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I wonder if the US server attracts a more casual gaming/young crowd. I've run into a number of people in World of Tanks who were obviously young enough to be "childish;" that may explain the prevalence of suicide-scouting and otherwise un-savvy tactics.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I've been in games where a handful of players weren't even pre-teens, around 8-9 years old IIRC.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Updated my laptop drivers and I think I've cured the crashing problem I keep complaining about... FPS still slows down, lag still ~100 ms, but I've learned to live with that.

Now if only I weren't spending so much of my time toodling around in a stock-gunned KV. Working on that too, but it's hard to grind a heavier weapon when your gun can't crack most of what's out there and you're reduced to lobbing HE.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Recently my games keep lagging out. I will spend most of the game with a decent FPS and M/S then my lag will jump op to some crazy number like 600. I don;t know if it is just my computer? The game was running great like 10 days ago.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The short 122mm is a decent gun for the KV, as it's essentially the Russian version of the US/German 105mm derp. Try to get a rammer for it too to offset the slightly slower reload rate.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

xthetenth wrote:Okay, they really messed up with the Type 59, it's actually a straight up viable tier VIII medium. It also has the Loewe standard issue credit press in the space saved by having the driver be the radio operator as well. I'll bring down 70k credits on premium depressingly often, although I haven't hit a 100k round. Yet. I also rock in it almost as hard as the Pershing. I'm currently up to 850 xp average a round or so, although I have been platooning a lot. Granted, I'm on permapremium, but it's awesome as could be even not on premium. Note that my Pershing is still better and I've driven that solo more. No, the Type 59 is not broken, although I think they should probably give it standard tier 8 medium matchmaking.

If any of you are thinking of getting a moneymaking premium and this thing's in your price range, it's strongly recommended. If not, don't go for lower than tier V, I don't really think the lower tiers make enough credits to be better than a normal tier V.
The Type59 is a chinese tank. Which means you can't use it to train a crew of a different medium tank of the same nation. The T-25 is the best tier 5 premium. It is a Pz III/IV with a better gun. The Hotchkiss is also pretty good.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Agent Sorchus wrote:I had a glorious run with my KV (armed with short 122 and small turret) where I got into a turning circling fight with a Pershing, who I suspect from rate of fire was armed with the first 90.
Both 90s on the Pershing have the exact same rate of fire. In fact, the only difference between the two is penetration.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I have to say, the T82 and T40 Derp configurations are downright hilarious. You just follow other tanks into battle, and watch as the front line of enemies engages your front line. From the safety of distance, just casually aim and drop a single 105mm shell into each opponent, killing or crippling them instantly while some poor schmuck driving an M4 takes heat and dies on your team instead of you.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I haven't been playing lately because my computer's down, but I've been watching my roommate play, he's got, among other things, an M4A2E8, with full upgrades, a shell rammer, and I forget what else, and he loves it, calls it the "sleazy ate." It looks like fun, I see him utterly dominate KV-3's on a regular basis.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.