World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by xthetenth »

Gun rammer and verti stab on an E8 are hilarious beyond compare. Fun tank, but between its speed and my habit of driving it with the trooper blaring I did terribly in it.

I just got back into arty and goddammit, it's actually fun as a side diversion. Once I got my timing back I'm not even half bad at it. Raining things on fools with an M41 is pretty fun, all told. I even made a blind shot because some fool in a pz 3/4 was silly enough to break a whole bermline and give me a good velocity fix. I'm also going for an IS-7 for clan stuff, and with the S-70, the IS-4 really is a lot better. Still not my favorite tank, though. I'm looking forward to French tanks, since that should get me out of grinding for an E-100 and/or Maus.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I'm tired of Lowe drivers complaining about the Type 59's and calling them wallet warriors. You just know that they bought their Lowe prior to the price increase. Fuck em.

Anyway I actually got recruited into a clan randomly. I impressed a pair of em in a random battle and they decided that they wanted me even though I have just Tier 6's. Still not doing clan wars until unless they start a second team and come up a little short.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Agent Sorchus wrote:I'm tired of Lowe drivers complaining about the Type 59's and calling them wallet warriors. You just know that they bought their Lowe prior to the price increase. Fuck em.
I hate the very term "wallet warrior". Guess what, assholes: who is keeping the game free for all of you? That's right, the wallet warriors.

Frankly, the Type 59 is pretty weaksauce for a T-55 knockoff. In real life it would've utterly dominated a battlefield full of WWII designs if it had a moderately competent crew.
Agent Sorchus wrote:Anyway I actually got recruited into a clan randomly. I impressed a pair of em in a random battle and they decided that they wanted me even though I have just Tier 6's. Still not doing clan wars until unless they start a second team and come up a little short.
I actually god an invitation too despite my meh statistics, but can't contribute the time to participate in clan wars.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think "wallet warrior" might be applied to people who buy expensive premium tanks without really acquiring the skill set to use them properly- if you buy a Lowe or Type 59 as your first introduction to the game, for example. But someone who's fought enough to be good at what they do and then buys premium tanks, or who has a premium account or consumables or ammo or whatever... I can't see why any sane person would criticize that.

Also, generally:

How does driver skill impact a tank's acceleration, top speed, and rate of turn? Is it a direct relationship, or is the effect relatively small?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think "wallet warrior" might be applied to people who buy expensive premium tanks without really acquiring the skill set to use them properly- if you buy a Lowe or Type 59 as your first introduction to the game, for example. But someone who's fought enough to be good at what they do and then buys premium tanks, or who has a premium account or consumables or ammo or whatever... I can't see why any sane person would criticize that.
Yeah, but guys who can't use Lowes or T-59s properly get beat up by everybody, so they're not a problem :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They're a problem in matches where they're at the top, which may be part of the irritant.

Also, frankly, "I bought a big premium tank!" waves the fact that you're spending money on the game in people's faces more than things like premium accounts, or gold ammo (which is invisible to other players). If you don't have money to spare on WoT gold (waves hand), it can be rather annoying to lose fights persistently to a tank that you know someone plunked down fifty dollars for.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

What would you guys say is the better buy? Buying a premium like a T-59 and using it as a credit machine; or, buying the equivalent in months of premium? Assuming you can not do both.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

spaceviking wrote:What would you guys say is the better buy? Buying a premium like a T-59 and using it as a credit machine; or, buying the equivalent in months of premium? Assuming you can not do both.
It's a toss up between three months of premium or a tank that grinds credits as well or better than a Lowe. Honestly, I'd go with the Type 59 as then you'll have an awesome credit grinder regardless of if you're on premium or not.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Premium account will also give +50% experience. Which is why I would rather get a premium account then a credit grinding premium tank.

Besides, I've never had money problems while playing with premium account and I haven't owned a premium tank since beta.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

spaceviking wrote:What would you guys say is the better buy? Buying a premium like a T-59 and using it as a credit machine; or, buying the equivalent in months of premium? Assuming you can not do both.
It really comes down to how much you play and how much you hate grinding for credits. Assuming relatively equal playtime, premium account status is more valuable then a big premium tank. IIRC, the most efficient use of gold/time is to buy premium account status by the month. Of course, if you don't play every day, the value of a premium account falls quickly since it counts down your time remaining from the time you activated it regardless if you are playing or not. And buying premium time by less then the monthly amount costs more gold per day. On the other hand, even a very marginal game in a lowe will net you 35k-40k silver with at least 20k pure profit without a premium account. But without premium account status it is very, very easy to lose money. My IS (fully upgraded tier 7) in a bad battle where I get stuck in the bottom end of the list full of tier 9 and 10 tanks will end up with a repair or ammo bill equal to my credits earned, which means each round is a money loser. The repair costs only go up as you get in higher tier tanks, but with premium account status, I often made a profit right up into my E-50 and E-75 at tier 9.

But the game is really set up to require a premium account and a premium tank at high levels. As an example, I am relatively close to unlocking (sub 20k xp each) the GPanther, the Patton, and the T34. Buying those three tanks will cost around 7.8 million silver. Selling my Hummel and T32 (I plan on keeping my Pershing) brings it down to around 6.2 million. I have around 3.3 million in the bank and in the process of unlocking those 3 tanks I make 700,000 silver profit (not a chance in hell, but say I was doing my doubles on other tanks as well). That still leaves me with 2.2 million to earn. With a premium account, iirc, I never made more then 120k silver in a single battle with my lowe. So that's another 18 battles (each totally awesome with epic payouts) after unlocking them in research just to have those 3 tanks sitting in my garage with no upgrades, no rigs, and hopefully using ammo from a previous tier since I couldn't buy any new stockpile ;P. Not to mention the cost of transferring crew (I always do the silver training when moving crew, since they have such a large effect on tank performance) which would slap a few hundred thousand more silver into the process. Grinding the cash for that last 2.2 million without premium account status and a lowe would be pure hell and one reason I will most likely never do it even though I have the lowe already.

Now, I am a bit of an extreme case, having multiple high tier tanks close to unlocking, but hardly unique. Tankers in my clan often worked 2 or 3 lines at a time to avoid time lost when a tank was destroyed in battle.

Now, if you don't plan on driving the high tier tanks and staying at tier 7 or 8 max, I would say the premium account is better. If you do plan on driving something tier 9 or 10, then you will want the premium tank money-maker solely for the big credit grinds of buying a tier 9 or 10 tank then rigging it up. Buying 3 large rigs can easily top 1.5 million, so they are not cheap but have a large effect on your tank. This is where Wargaming makes its money, so I doubt it will change anytime soon.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Sir Sirius wrote:Premium account will also give +50% experience. Which is why I would rather get a premium account then a credit grinding premium tank.
Think is, once you buy the premium tank you always have a tank that can effectively grind a lot of credits regardless of premium. Sure, it's 50% better with premium, but if you don't have premium you still have the credit grinder. For running high tier tanks you need credits bad, and if you don't run premium you'll being running at a loss a lot of the time, so having an effective credit grinder is damn nice. For example, I'm not on premium and any time I tun my T34, unless I have a really good match (like my team wins and I make at least three kills and get a sniper medal or something), I generally lose anywhere from 5k-15k credits a match between repairs, ammo, and consumables. So having something like a Type 59 would be a godsend for me as it'd allow me to grind up credits for operating my T34 much, much faster then the usual schtick of running a tier five/six tank or an SPG.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Hokay, got me a Type 59 now and all I can say is this tank is fucking hilarity incarnate. It's a fuckin' ATM credit-wise, and with a 100% crew and teh right upgrades it's entirely capable of performing every bit as well as any of the non-premium Tier 8 mediums (and the heavies for that matter. I've no problems with slotting T32s, IS3s, and Tiger IIs with this little beast). It's not the fastest excellerating medium in the tier, but it turns faster than a Pershing and holds it speed well when you make a lot of hard turns. Armor wise it's got thicker turret armor than the other tier 8 mediums, and it's hull is only 2mm thinner than the Pershing with much better sloping, making it damned hard to pen from the front. The gun is decient, almost as good as the Pershing's top-end 90mm with slightly less pen and accuracy.

All in all it's a fun tank to drive and profitable as all hell. This thing is from start to finish a credit-grinding trollmobile.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I haven't regretted buying my Type 59 either. It's the ultimate tank for picking off stragglers. Just keep your front armor faced against one target and you have a good chance of killing someone without taking a hit in return.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Is there certain times people are on? granted i normally play in the middle of the night, but aside for a game or two with Sorchus a few days ago I've never seen anybody else in the sdn room, even after being on for about 4 hours.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I'm AngusMcAWESOME in game. Add me to your friends list and hit me up if you see me on.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i just had one of the most adrenaline filled games any awhile, and it was one i was sure would suck.

i believe I've said i load slow before, and on this match it took forever to load, disconnected me, and then took forever to load again. by the time i got into the game it was just my panzer 38 na and a lone arty who hadn't gotten any kills, the enemy team still had 8 tanks. my 38NA had already been dropped to half heath before i loaded in, i'm not sure how the arty was doing.

this was the result

it was the ride of the magical motherfucking panzer. with my health that low anything could have killed me, but nothing hit me i'm not sure how many shots i dodged while plinging away with my 50mm but i solo'd the Sherman while the arty was dealing with the other side of the hill. after that i damaged the 3/4 enough that he could one shot it, swung around and got the two spgs he had been trading fire with and managed to whittle the wolverine down until it's third shot connected. it died a second later when the arty got him ending the match with congrats from the dead guys who had stuck around to watch.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Just picked up 30 bucks worth of gold, gonna get a couple of slots in my garage and expand my barracks, and then buy a tank. I'm kinda leaning towards a Churchill, but that 57 mm gun just seems inadequate for a heavy. Any advice?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I generally don't think the premiums that aren't tier 8 are worth it. They don't have the tremendous credit gain rates of the tier 8s, so you can do as well if not better with regular tanks.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Churchill is a pile of ass, man. Leave it be.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have an irrational impulse to get a Matilda. Not because I believe it's a good tank, just because I like Matildas.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

White Haven wrote:The Churchill is a pile of ass, man. Leave it be.
I went ahead a bought it anyway, I like the looks of it, and I don't really do any worse with it than with anything else.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
I went ahead a bought it anyway, I like the looks of it, and I don't really do any worse with it than with anything else.
The Church is a goddamed punishment sponge, and don't let the puny gun fool you. It hit's pretty well above it's throw weight. It's just a slow, non-turning beast.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

Highlord Laan wrote:
PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
The Church is a goddamed punishment sponge, and don't let the puny gun fool you. It hit's pretty well above it's throw weight. It's just a slow, non-turning beast.
I've managed to punk a couple of KVs with it so far, that 57 gets pretty good penetration, and its practically an autocannon.

Also got my KV-3, back to the stock tank blues.

Power to the Peaceful

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Highlord Laan wrote: The Church is a goddamed punishment sponge, and don't let the puny gun fool you. It hit's pretty well above it's throw weight. It's just a slow, non-turning beast.
A fast firing/low damage gun is bad on a slow and non turning tank. The gun is ok on a M7 or Ram II. The churchill has one of the worst win ratio on any server. The T-25 had the best win ratio of all tier 5 premium tanks on the EU Server over a period of two weeks. The PzKpfw S35 739 (f) had the best ratio of all tanks.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Churchill has a low-alpha gun on a slow, non-maneuverable, poorly-armored chassis. The rate of fire is impressive, yes, but that comes at a cost of every other characteristic of the tank. If you want a Fearsome Reaper of Mediums heavy tank, may I direct you to the T1 Heavy in the same tier. It's faster, better-armored, and has superior alpha. As an added bonus, it leads to the T29, which is endless fun in T7 outside of 'oh dear god why am I in this match' matches.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image