World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Slacker
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Slacker »

Thunderfire wrote: A fast firing/low damage gun is bad on a slow and non turning tank. The gun is ok on a M7 or Ram II. The churchill has one of the worst win ratio on any server. The T-25 had the best win ratio of all tier 5 premium tanks on the EU Server over a period of two weeks. The PzKpfw S35 739 (f) had the best ratio of all tanks.
That's because the Hotchkiss is a murder machine.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Slacker wrote: That's because the Hotchkiss is a murder machine.
The Hotchkiss is known as the PzKpfw 38H735 (f). The PzKpfw S35 739 (f) is the Somua 35.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Anything other than the tier eight premiums is a huge waste of gold (and even of the Tier Eight premiums, only the Type 59 and the Lowe are really worthwhile). Hell, the only reason I even own a T2 Light is because it's a troll tank, and even then it's pretty damn useless for anything other than driving really fast.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The matilda was fun in beta, it played similar to a stock KV with a smaller target profile. I don't think I would suggest playing it now, since the introduction of the USA TD line there are just so many tanks that can pound you from range.
Though I did like running straight into enemy KV's and attacking directly into the drivers slit while all they could do was bounce off the top of my turret. BUT with all the 107 armed versions running around it is just a suicide machine to try it now.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Simon_Jester wrote:I have an irrational impulse to get a Matilda. Not because I believe it's a good tank, just because I like Matildas.
It's not actually that bad a tank when it gets in its proper tier. It's disturbingly well armored and fights against a lot of tanks who aren't expecting to have to put effort into penning it.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Anything other than the tier eight premiums is a huge waste of gold (and even of the Tier Eight premiums, only the Type 59 and the Lowe are really worthwhile). Hell, the only reason I even own a T2 Light is because it's a troll tank, and even then it's pretty damn useless for anything other than driving really fast.
What do you mean by 'troll tank'?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Anything other than the tier eight premiums is a huge waste of gold (and even of the Tier Eight premiums, only the Type 59 and the Lowe are really worthwhile). Hell, the only reason I even own a T2 Light is because it's a troll tank, and even then it's pretty damn useless for anything other than driving really fast.
What do you mean by 'troll tank'?
I usually bring it out every now and then into relatively high tier matches, and even though there isn't much that tiny ass 20mm gun can actually hurt, the other team can't afford to let my tank live simply because I'm broadcasting their positions to my team. Since it's a very fast tank and fairly nimble, it's really hard to hit thanks to most players having no clue about leading their targets.
It's there solely to get the other team to waste time and ammo trying to hit me while the rest of my team maneuvers into position. I'm a huge distraction that serves no purpose but irritating the hell out of the other team, so it's a troll tank.

The Type 59 is a troll tank as well, but for entirely different reasons.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:Just picked up 30 bucks worth of gold, gonna get a couple of slots in my garage and expand my barracks, and then buy a tank. I'm kinda leaning towards a Churchill, but that 57 mm gun just seems inadequate for a heavy. Any advice?
Churchill murders things its tier. Its trouble is that, being a heavy, it isn't fighting things its tier very often. The six pounder is awesome in a can, but it's even more awesome attached to the M7. I'd give it a pass.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

White Haven wrote:As an added bonus, it leads to the T29, which is endless fun in T7 outside of 'oh dear god why am I in this match' matches.
The T29 is good even as a bottom feeder. The turret can bounce even Maus-level shots and its gun can reliably hurt a lot of stuff. Better yet, in the crazy matches the super artillery tends to ignore you more thinking you're not as big a threat.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Anything other than the tier eight premiums is a huge waste of gold (and even of the Tier Eight premiums, only the Type 59 and the Lowe are really worthwhile).
I disagree. High tier premiums for credit. Low tier premiums for experience. It is possible to train your KV crew on a Churchill.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I got it just to have something different, and to have a tier 5 Soviet premium to go with my roommate's tier 5 American premium.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Thunderfire wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Anything other than the tier eight premiums is a huge waste of gold (and even of the Tier Eight premiums, only the Type 59 and the Lowe are really worthwhile).
I disagree. High tier premiums for credit. Low tier premiums for experience. It is possible to train your KV crew on a Churchill.
I have generated in excess of 200k xp on my Type 59. It's easy when you average nearly 900 xp a match. Granted, that'd fall off if it weren't for being on premium, but I already have more xp than I know what to do with it. Like one of my ideas is to go through the entire French heavy tree without driving a stock tank. Or I could do the same for the tail end of the two German heavy lines. I've generated so much free xp all my elite tanks are on accelerated crew training. I can't wait until 0.7.1 so I can get the T34 and train up a perfect crew for CW in my T30 with it.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I got a Type 59 a few weeks ago and I love it! I just used it to credit grind my way to an Easy 8! Also I love the Hetzer, it's a cute, tiny bundle of joy.
Image[
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Just started playing this game, and man its awesome. Course, I only have a puny little T-26. Is there an SDN clan?
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

No, hold off on 7.1 for a bit! I'm still about 70K XP away from the T34 :p.

Well, okay, I have enough free XP and gold to get the T34 if really needed, but I'd like to save the gold for other possible purchases.
Gervasius
Redshirt

Post by Gervasius »

Zinegata wrote:No, hold off on 7.1 for a bit! I'm still about 70K XP away from the T34 :p.

Well, okay, I have enough free XP and gold to get the T34 if really needed, but I'd like to save the gold for other possible purchases.
No need to rush, you can get that 70k in a week of casual playing. 7.0 is at least a month away, and 7.1 is coming after that. I doubt 7.1 will make it this year.

Save your free xp to get tracks, turret and 120mm gun for T34 right away, T34 is an excellent tank with 120mm, but horrible until 120mm.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

xthetenth wrote:I can't wait until 0.7.1 so I can get the T34 and train up a perfect crew for CW in my T30 with it.
The T30 is a tier 9 TD in the full american tech tree AFAIK. An untrained crew member suffers no experience penalty on a premium tank of the same type. This mean you can use your T32 crew on a T-14. The T34 will be a premium tank in the future AFAIK.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Xess wrote:I got a Type 59 a few weeks ago and I love it! I just used it to credit grind my way to an Easy 8! Also I love the Hetzer, it's a cute, tiny bundle of joy.
When I was running premium, I had no silver cash issues at all until I got up to around the King Tiger, the first of my tier 8 tanks. Now, I also rarely bought rigs for my tanks that I was not planning on keeping, so that was a tremendous cash saver. I literally bought a lowe only a week or so before they raised the prices on them, as by then I was still running in perma-premium monthly mode but had multiple tier 8 and 9 tanks that needed to be bought and rigged. Even with premium status every game (which meant that everything but a truly horribad game was at least slightly profitable) you just can not acquire silver fast enough to avoid a lot of grinding with tier 8 and 9 mediums and heavies.

I haven't played with the Hetzer since beta, but the 10.5 (?) derp cannon on it is loads of fun I hear and the E8 practically has an autocannon with its ROF. Really spoils you when you drive it then get in a big tank with massive gun loading times.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Gervasius wrote:
Zinegata wrote:No, hold off on 7.1 for a bit! I'm still about 70K XP away from the T34 :p.

No need to rush, you can get that 70k in a week of casual playing. 7.0 is at least a month away, and 7.1 is coming after that. I doubt 7.1 will make it this year.

Save your free xp to get tracks, turret and 120mm gun for T34 right away, T34 is an excellent tank with 120mm, but horrible until 120mm.
7.0 from the most recent news I can see will probably hit quite late this month, and they'll be scrambling to get 7.1 out in a month, which is something they've been able to do previously (I'm guessing the most recent patches being late is because of slowdowns from adding people to try and up the tempo of releases), so we may very well see it this year, but it'll be late December.
Thunderfire wrote:
xthetenth wrote:I can't wait until 0.7.1 so I can get the T34 and train up a perfect crew for CW in my T30 with it.
The T30 is a tier 9 TD in the full american tech tree AFAIK. An untrained crew member suffers no experience penalty on a premium tank of the same type. This mean you can use your T32 crew on a T-14. The T34 will be a premium tank in the future AFAIK.
The T30 is a TD in the full tree, but until then it's going to be a tier ten heavy, and probably my clan wars ride of choice. That means I'm going to want that crew with 100% repair and camo on it until the T110 switchover, when I'll put them on that and have a merry day with my collection of fast heavies. Hopefully by then I'll have a French tank for my damage dealing needs so I don't just have lighter heavies.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

At this rate I'm going to have to grab a Type 59, aren't I? The Lowe has it's place, but the Type 59 seems to be rather more fun. Curses.

Well, maybe on Friday, so some of the money goes to a good cause at least.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Vanas wrote:At this rate I'm going to have to grab a Type 59, aren't I? The Lowe has it's place, but the Type 59 seems to be rather more fun. Curses.

Well, maybe on Friday, so some of the money goes to a good cause at least.
Me too, I have Type 59 but for premium accounts and what not.
Image[
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thunderfire wrote:
Wait, could you run that by me again?

Say I've got a premium Matilda- that's a Russian medium. Does that mean that if I have a Russian medium crewman who's trained on some other Russian medium (say, a T-44), he can operate the Matilda without penalty?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Simon_Jester wrote:Wait, could you run that by me again?

Say I've got a premium Matilda- that's a Russian medium. Does that mean that if I have a Russian medium crewman who's trained on some other Russian medium (say, a T-44), he can operate the Matilda without penalty?
They get full experience - add accelerated crew training and you are able to train them faster on a premium tank. Their effective skill levels will reduced just like other non premium tanks.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Thunderfire wrote:
Slacker wrote: That's because the Hotchkiss is a murder machine.
The Hotchkiss is known as the PzKpfw 38H735 (f). The PzKpfw S35 739 (f) is the Somua 35.

Whoops, misread the alphabet tank. Still, my point largely still stands. I didn't know the Somua was so good.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I hope everyone enjoyed their E-50's and E-75's because the nerfbat is coming for them. Since they don't catch fire from being shot in the lower front glacis, and were actually designed in real life to remove that weakness in general. WG has now decided that although the engine/transmission is one module in their game, they will alter the E-series hitbox so the engine extends into the front. So soon enough you will be able to frontally pen all E-series (iirc, the E-100 already has the front engine damage feature) and hit the engine/set it on fire as God intended.
Overlord wrote:Yes, it is planned that both E-50 and E-75 will get front transmission modules in future, however this won't happen in 7.0.

As for the PzKpfw S35 739 (f) / Somua 35, the French actually had more tanks then Germany (iirc) when the Blitzkrieg occurred and some of the French tanks, such as the Somua 35, proved tactically equal to or superior to their German counterparts. The main failings were strategic plans and tank doctrines, not material inferiority of French tanks compared one-on-one to German tanks. However, my WWII history is a bit rusty, so anyone more knowledgeable please chime in.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.