World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by xthetenth »

defanatic wrote:
Slacker wrote:Sure he wasn't shooting at someone else and hit you instead? I've done that a few times, killed an enemy tank I didn't even know was back behind the monster I was shooting at.
It was a very short range battle with about 20 m between each tank, so we sort of mingled. The fact that every other tank but I was moving, and he had to switch targets to start shooting me, makes me convinced he just wanted a kill before he died. While that he have just spammed a shell into the abyss and hit me, I think that it more than likely was the former.
If I'm getting slammed, I'm likely to look for a way to take an enemy gun barrel off the field, and I'll also be looking for something I can penetrate easily while I try to dance and bounce shells. Those both lead to taking shots at small fragile tanks.
However, it does highlight for me the sloppy promotion of player behaviours in game. Take, say, Battlefield 3. It immediately tells you when you get XP for killing someone who was killing one of your friends, for spotting an enemy who is killed by one of your friends, for when you heal and so on. Battlefield 3 is a game with plenty of ups and downs, but is significantly better for immediately rewarding players for actions rather than only showing kills and rewarding them post-battle with some kind of hidden rules.
That might be good. It'd encourage things like getting spots for allies.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'titanic e-peen' though.
I make xp by the bucketfull. Even more so now that I've got a bunch of tanks I'm really good in.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

New test server is up for the 0.7 patch. Some new premiums, lots of UI changes (they finally moved the quit match and quit game buttons the fuck away from each other), and they implemented the new camo paint schemes. Camo paint improves your camo bonus without using an equipment slot, and some of them look pretty swanky. Come in permanent for gold or 30-day and 7-day versions for credits.

Also, for the lulz I tried out the 75mm conical with gold ammo. It's hilarious.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

The point I'm making is that it is highly frustrating behaviour for anyone who isn't in the top half of the battle. Although matchmaking is another problem entirely, and has probably been discussed to death.

But given that they do have mechanics in place for supposedly encouraging player behaviours (like spot xp, etc.), it would be more appropriate to be able to see that in game.

I had an idea last night, but am not sure how true to form it is:
The tank classes, for the most part, don't seem to be particularly different. They're just an arbitrary classification scheme (other than SPGs and Light Tanks).
How about giving XP bonuses for different classes. All vehicles get XP for the normal stuff (spot bonus, damage dealt, flag cap etc.), but then have a class bonus, which would be like:
Medium Tanks get bonus XP for damage dealt to an opponent's side or rear
Heavy Tanks get bonus XP for damage dealt TO them by opponents
Scout Tanks get bonus XP for spotting opponents
SPGs get bonus XP for ..?
Tank Destroyers get bonus XP for..?
Obviously, the amount of bonus xp they get should change; taking damage from opponents is much easier than getting your team mates to target things you've spotted. But

Does the camo depend on your environment?
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

defanatic wrote: The tank classes, for the most part, don't seem to be particularly different. They're just an arbitrary classification scheme (other than SPGs and Light Tanks).
Say what. The only Heavy Tank that can do more than 37 kph is the IS-7. Good luck actually getting it there for any length of time. The mediums are far more maneuverable, faster and accelerate better, and their guns tend more towards the fast firing dps end of the scale while the heavies have big guns that take forever to reload. The TDs have way less health, but have a powerful gun compared even to heavies and it reloads way faster and aims better, making for great snipers. They're very different tanks and if you try to drive them the same way you're doing things tragically wrong with the possible exception of the US heavies and mediums in a few situations. Hell, the individual countries' tanks are well differentiated if not individual tanks. Medium tanks don't need bonus xp for damaging sides or rears, it's the only way for many of them to reliably penetrate for any xp. Heavy tanks don't need bonus xp for getting shot, they do enough of it anyway and bouncing, what should be rewarded, is already rewarded by not taking damage. All tanks already get xp for spotting tanks and for damage dealt to targets they spotted for a tank that otherwise wouldn't be able to see that enemy
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Just picked up a KV-1S. So far I like it, it has the speed to really get up in someone's business, all the better for giving them the business end of my business. Not a whole lot of armor or hp, though.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My impression is that the KV-3 is for practical purposes a heavy tank, while the KV-1S is a medium that's been working out a lot.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Simon_Jester wrote:My impression is that the KV-3 is for practical purposes a heavy tank, while the KV-1S is a medium that's been working out a lot.
The KV-3 has enough armor to be a tier 7 (it will be eventually) but is slow as sin. The KV-1S is much more like the IS, with speed in favor of armor. I prefer the IS style, but the KV-1S is lacking the 107, which makes it a lot more annoying to grind. Eventually, the Russians will have fast heavies and heavily armored heavies along the lines of the KV-1S/3 split.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

I'm using the 122 mini-derp from the regular KV, and have been fairly successful with it so far. I like to roll into the other team's backfield with the mediums and bully things that are smaller than me and not expecting a heavy to show up.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

That's the recommended course, then graduating to the big 122 when you get it. The KV-3 gets the 107, which is real nice, with solid DPS and cheap ammo.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I've gotta say, the American T5 and T6 TDs are ungodly fun. The Wolverine and Slugger for me ALWAYS do incredible damage, and are typically decisive factors in a battle. People just utterly fail to play these things right just because they have a turret.

Today, my Wolverine took on fresh 2 KVs and a PZ4 singlehandedly and won, on Abbey. They blew through the one token Sherman we put in the little 'gulley' to the right side of the map, and I was the only one between them and our base/2 Arties, who were firing at center. Engaging from hull-down position at the first step, blew up the PZ4 within 10 seconds of firing, then backed off as the KVs missed my teeny turret, as well as glancing two shots off the gun mantle. Took one KV to critical health before driving back up the slope, to another hull down position and took both of them out as they tried to climb the hill. Incredibly satisfying.

And as the Slugger with the 90mm, got a Ferdinand and a Tiger II. Ferdi I tracked while moving laterally in a ditch for cover, then beelined up to and blew away from the side so he couldn't turn. Then got behind a Tiger 2, and put 4 shots into his rear while taking one and survivng.

Can't wait for the M18 Hellcat, really.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Победа!
Бой: Степи Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:41:38 AM
Танк: VK 4502 (P) Ausf. B
Получено опыта: 31,188 (x2 за первую победу в день)
Получено кредитов: 507,652
Достижения в бою: «Коса Смерти», «Воин», Медаль Бёльтера, «Стрелок», «Бронебойщик»

So yeah, if anyone can figure gobbeldegook out, I think I have a pretty good reason for kinda liking the Ausf B, with that as my first round. So far I've got a top gun in the ausf a and b, and rather like both. Time will tell whether I like the E-75 more or less.

Advances in battle: "Death Scythe", "Warrior," Medal Beltera, "Shooter," "anti-tank riflemen" whatever that means.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

"Death Scythe" is probably "Reaper," "Shooter" might be "Sharpshooter..." Are those plausible?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I'm thinking reaper, top gun, boelter's, sniper, master gunner. Breaking in a new tank gets those streak achievements easily, after all, and I bagged seven of them. But the important thing is that I was bagging tanks like I was working a cash register. It's got a gun with good punch and accuracy and nice armor. Plus, that wacky turret layout lets me do some real fun things from behind cover.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I had a VK 4502 Ausf. B back in beta and have a E-75 in live. The Ausf B is a nice tank, especially well armored from the front and it gets the top German 12.8 gun. However, iirc, it does have the front engine problem of many German tanks, so you must protect your soft lower glacis, although the E-75 will soon enough share this weakness. Ausf B takes a lot of getting used to due to the turret placement and seems to be a huge side target profile. While I haven't played them side-by-side, overall I prefer my E-75, it feels more nimble and responsive while retaining the same high-end gun and conventional turret placement.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Researched:
T34 researched. Undistributed experience spent: 185,300. Free Experience spent: 0.

Purchased:
'T34' purchased successfully. You have spent credits: 3,559,000.

The newest hangar queen is now in my possession, which I will not touch until the American heavy tank changes go through and it becomes a premium. This is my 2nd tier 9 heavy and 3rd overall tier 9 tank. Just something to have if the game ever really sparks my interest again.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Broken wrote:I had a VK 4502 Ausf. B back in beta and have a E-75 in live. The Ausf B is a nice tank, especially well armored from the front and it gets the top German 12.8 gun. However, iirc, it does have the front engine problem of many German tanks, so you must protect your soft lower glacis, although the E-75 will soon enough share this weakness. Ausf B takes a lot of getting used to due to the turret placement and seems to be a huge side target profile. While I haven't played them side-by-side, overall I prefer my E-75, it feels more nimble and responsive while retaining the same high-end gun and conventional turret placement.
So far, I prefer the Ausf B. However I haven't been able to drive the E-75 with the top engine, so time will tell.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

xthetenth wrote: However I haven't been able to drive the E-75 with the top engine, so time will tell.
The last engine is a massive game changer for the E-75. It weighs the same as the previous engine but goes from 870 h.p. to 1200 h.p. with a reduced chance of fire to boot. When the E-series was released I auto-upgraded to a E-50 as I already had a Panther II and got everything but the super-long 88. I also had the xp on the KT to buy the E-75. However, for several matches I was quite disappointed with the handling of the E-75 despite people saying it played like the KT, but it felt sluggish to me. Then I realized that although I had unlocked the 1200 h.p. engine via E-50, I forgot to actually buy one and install it on the E-75 :oops: . Once I did that, the E-75 was suddenly massively more agile and much more entertaining to play.

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

It's real solid with the upgraded engine. The thing's so expensive though. Luckily the two german trees share gun unlocks, so I can get the ausf a, unlock the first 105, then get the kt going unlocking the second one, which I'll use on the ausf b to unlock the 128.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

I still hate the Hetzer, but I had the most amazing round with it this past weekend. Armed with the 105, I was lower mid-tier for a match on Abbey. I stayed near the flag to play defense and fierce fighting developed in the map's center. My team quickly fell behind but managed to start making up the difference. I got a few kills, including a KV and Panzer IV, enough to make it a good match by any measure though nothing spectacular. By now both flanks had folded, though with my help we held the center. I rushed left and picked off a Marder and something else. Most of what was left of my team was in position to focus fire and defeat the threat (including their top tank), though we lost two damaged vehicles in the process. There was still an annoying Panzer III A prowling the abbey itself, but I had bigger problems as the enemy now pushed up from the low road. Faced with a T-34 and SU-85 at short range, I knew I was fraked. Using the slop of the hill to keep us separated, I managed a non-lethal hit on each enemy vehicle. They were overcautious and did not rush me, though the Panzer III A of course blitzed down at the most inopportune time. The SU-85 shifted onto our last remaining arty and killed it. His diverted attention proved lethal however, as I managed to cycle a third shot and finish him off. I was then graced even more time to reload and metered out the same fate to the T-34. The III A was now bouncing shots off my rear, but I was able to turn around and one-shot him with my very last shell. I now had 9 kills. We still lost unfortunately as the enemy had a full health Panzer IV and an arty, and my only remaining teammate was an M2 medium, but frak was that a fun match.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

You hate the Hetzer? Hell, I just bought the Lee, and I'm seriously considering going back to the M2 and just grinding past with free experience. That said, I been having some great fun using the 122mm howitzer on the SU-26 as a direct fire weapon.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I love trolling KV's, Tigers and T1's in my Jumbo. And bouncing shots from short 88's on my front when VK's start getting uppity. I prefer the 76mm M1A1 to the stubby 105, but the latter is fun too.

Soon, I'll be buying a T20. Just need about 25000 more xp to get the upgrades needed to not make it a struggle to have fun in. Then, it'll be time for speeding 90mm death to again start putting all the kiddie heavies in their place.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

Alkaloid wrote:You hate the Hetzer? Hell, I just bought the Lee, and I'm seriously considering going back to the M2 and just grinding past with free experience. That said, I been having some great fun using the 122mm howitzer on the SU-26 as a direct fire weapon.
The Lee's not so bad once you get used to it and get the good gun.

The SU-26 is hella fun, one of my favorite vehicles so far. I like to platoon up with my roommate in his T-32 and annoy high tier tanks, I actually have a fair number of tier 8-9 kills with it.

Power to the Peaceful

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:00:48 AM
Vehicle: PzKpfw VI Tiger (P)
Experience received: 2,536
Credits received: 62,878

Hells yes. I love how I got no awards. Killed a Löwe from near full health by being smarter than him and sniping his drive wheel from behind cover, doing the same trick to a Tiger (P), throwing some shells into a Löwe and Slugger early, and killing a low health King Tiger and Jagdpanther by getting in a quick shot from where they couldn't strike back effectively. Luckily the KV, M12 and E8 left over banded together and killed the E-75 that was left when it popped me or I would've been pissed. That also means that I denied somebody the win when the got a Bölter's medal. Huzzah!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I actually feel like kind of an ass. Latest match in Himmelsdorf had my 105 armed Jumbo as Top Tank on my team, while the other team had three KV's. None of which had upgraded guns yet. After them was a mix of tier 4-5 lights and mediums, most of which were still carrying small guns, and a couple of SU85B's.

I just started rumbling forward. There wasn't anything on their team that could penetrate my front, and I flat out oneshotted both their SU's before killing all three KV's. A PzIII got in a good detrack, but them I blasted him to wreckage. After that I moved into their base, killed a T82 and an M37, and let my team have the rest of the meat. It was fun being the unstoppable godzilla, but I felt like such a bastard. I just kept moving forward like a juggernaut and smashed the better portion of their team under my treads.

One stick in my mind. The disabled PzIII just sitting there, pining 50mm shells off my front as I rumbled up to him, looked him straight in the drivers slot, and opened fire. His stand was such a futile gesture, but it was somehow touching.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Yeah, I kinda know how you feel. I bet that Löwe driver was furious as I plowed seven consecutive shots into his front drive wheel leaving him to sit there helpless as I chopped his HP down over the course of a half minute. Especially considering that Tiger (P) next to him just wouldn't get the guts to pull up and make me shoot him or take a shell on 30 something HP. But nope, he got to die helpless, impotent and slow. Then again, him being a Löwe driver and gretting to decide the game in a Tiger (P) despite an E-75 getting a Bölter's makes it worth it.